Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Buddy Hield 

Post#1 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:50 pm

So last year he was a projected 2nd round pick, but now he looks like the best player in college basketball and an elite shooter. How high can he climb?
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Re: Buddy Hield 

Post#2 » by nurseryc » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm

[quote="Worm Guts"]So last year he was a projected 2nd round pick, but now he looks like the best player in college basketball and an elite shooter. How high can he climb?[/quote

Top ten pick in nba draft. Nowhere near the prospect of Simmons and Ingram at the next level.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#3 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't watch enough of him to tell, so what separates him offensively from Jimmer Fredette in college?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:03 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:I don't watch enough of him to tell, so what separates him offensively from Jimmer Fredette in college?

Go watch him enough
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#5 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I don't watch enough of him to tell, so what separates him offensively from Jimmer Fredette in college?

Go watch him enough

Thanks for your analysis expert! :thumbsup:
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#6 » by jsa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Is Hield's ceilng Ray Allen or Reggie Miller ? In that case he is the best pick, the #1. Simmons ceiling is Grant Hill, I believe, and he is not there now.
Hield has enough athleticism, if not elite, to play very well and be a prime scorer with his shot. He is NBA ready in other respects, it appears, and supposedly quite coachable and a solid citizen.

If Simmons can hit a jumper consistent and deep, then you are talking Larry Bird. What indication do we have of that? Quite the leap of faith.

So passing on Simmons and taking Hield is not the outrage many claim. More conservative choice to be sure, but no necessarily a brutal mistake.
deflated
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#7 » by deflated » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:52 pm

jsa wrote:Is Hield's ceilng Ray Allen or Reggie Miller ? In that case he is the best pick, the #1. Simmons ceiling is Grant Hill, I believe, and he is not there now.
Hield has enough athleticism, if not elite, to play very well and be a prime scorer with his shot. He is NBA ready in other respects, it appears, and supposedly quite coachable and a solid citizen.

If Simmons can hit a jumper consistent and deep, then you are talking Larry Bird. What indication do we have of that? Quite the leap of faith.

So passing on Simmons and taking Hield is not the outrage many claim. More conservative choice to be sure, but no necessarily a brutal mistake.

Michael Redd would be a better ceiling comp for Hield than Allen or Miller.

Simmons is 3rd overall with 12.7 RPG as a freshman; Grant Hill averaged less than half that in college, their games don't match up at all. He's 0.5 behind Hield in PER and 0.2 behind him in Win Shares, again as a freshman. Yes, any GM that took Hield over Simmons would be seen to have made a brutal mistake.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Nothing about his game remotely resembles Jimmer. Jimmer was an under-athletic guy who was a skilled scorer while dominating the ball. Hield is an above average athlete who is a knock down shooter and can get his offense in the flow of the game, without dominating the ball or bringing his team's offense to a halt. Hield is one of those guys who gets 30 so effortlessly, that it feels like he's only got like 18 points.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:29 pm

A team is going to reach for this guy in the top 10 and they will end up regretting it. At best he late lottery but he should go around 20. This guy would be boarder line 1st rounder in most drafts. Hes a great college player but he will basically become just a spot up catch and shoot player in the NBA. Again good value for a mid-late first round pick. But if you are expecting a top 10 pick type player from him you will be disappointed
oddwolfhooligan
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#10 » by oddwolfhooligan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote:A team is going to reach for this guy in the top 10 and they will end up regretting it. At best he late lottery but he should go around 20. This guy would be boarder line 1st rounder in most drafts. Hes a great college player but he will basically become just a spot up catch and shoot player in the NBA. Again good value for a mid-late first round pick. But if you are expecting a top 10 pick type player from him you will be disappointed

I agree that he's a very flawed prospect, but I don't know if drafting him top 10 in this weak of a draft is necessarily a reach. How many guys in this draft will realistically end up contributing more than him to an NBA team? At least with Hield you're getting an elite shooter who also has some potential to score off the dribble and in the pick n roll. Plus he at least has the physical tools to not be a bad defender even if he'll never be a great one.

As of right now, I feel comfortable projecting these guys as better pros than Hield

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Ivan Rabb
Kris Dunn
Jaylen Brown
Dragan Bender
Jakob Poeltl

Then there are guys like Ellenson, Baldwin, Demetrius Jackson, Jamal Murray, Skal and so on who may have higher ceilings, but also have lower floors and are far from sure things.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and chances are that at least one guy who gets drafted after Hield will end up being a better pro than him. That doesn't mean that a team will have reached for him if he goes top 10. Not in a draft where there aren't even 10 guys who clearly projects as better pros than him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Upperclass » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 am

He's always reminded me of a better shooting Nick Young. He'll be a contributor
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 am

oddwolfhooligan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:A team is going to reach for this guy in the top 10 and they will end up regretting it. At best he late lottery but he should go around 20. This guy would be boarder line 1st rounder in most drafts. Hes a great college player but he will basically become just a spot up catch and shoot player in the NBA. Again good value for a mid-late first round pick. But if you are expecting a top 10 pick type player from him you will be disappointed

I agree that he's a very flawed prospect, but I don't know if drafting him top 10 in this weak of a draft is necessarily a reach. How many guys in this draft will realistically end up contributing more than him to an NBA team? At least with Hield you're getting an elite shooter who also has some potential to score off the dribble and in the pick n roll. Plus he at least has the physical tools to not be a bad defender even if he'll never be a great one.

As of right now, I feel comfortable projecting these guys as better pros than Hield

Ben Simmons
Brandon Ingram
Ivan Rabb
Kris Dunn
Jaylen Brown
Dragan Bender
Jakob Poeltl

Then there are guys like Ellenson, Baldwin, Demetrius Jackson, Jamal Murray, Skal and so on who may have higher ceilings, but also have lower floors and are far from sure things.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and chances are that at least one guy who gets drafted after Hield will end up being a better pro than him. That doesn't mean that a team will have reached for him if he goes top 10. Not in a draft where there aren't even 10 guys who clearly projects as better pros than him.

You're right with this draft it may not be that big of a reach. A fan base is still going to think they are getting a top 10 talent though. He's not that. I'm not completely sold on his shooting either. Yes he is a feat 2 shooter not denying that, but look up until this year, he was like a 37% shooter from 3. He will be considered a below average athlete for the 2 position in the NBA. He will also be considered a smaller 2 as well. Put it in perspective Devin Booker who is bigger, more athletic and just as good of shooter and also 4 years younger (on draft day) went 13th this last draft. Hield has a solid handle but not good enough to drive and create for himself on a consistent basis on the next level. If anything I see him as the next JJ Redick or Kyle Korver in the NBA. I know JJ went 10th but he was considered a bust for the majority of his career. Again I think He's going to be a good pro but just a run around and catch and shoot type 2 guard. If this years buddy hield was in last year's draft, he would've gone in the late 20s
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#13 » by MalonesElbows » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:58 am

I don't disagree. Even if he's just JJ Reddick though its good value around 10 in this underwhelming draft. Obviously a young team without even a fringe all star should pass and swing for the fences. But he makes sense for some teams in the lottery.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:37 am

MalonesElbows wrote:

I don't disagree. Even if he's just JJ Reddick though its good value around 10 in this underwhelming draft. Obviously a young team without even a fringe all star should pass and swing for the fences. But he makes sense for some teams in the lottery.

Exacty. There is no crime in taking the safe choice, though I would argue that is not what Hield is. He is not some un-athletic spot up shooter. He may not be an all star, but he will be more than an outside shooting role player at the NBA level.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,825

Post#15 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:43 am

deflated wrote:
jsa wrote:Is Hield's ceilng Ray Allen or Reggie Miller ? In that case he is the best pick, the #1. Simmons ceiling is Grant Hill, I believe, and he is not there now.

Michael Redd would be a better ceiling comp for Hield than Allen or Miller.

Simmons is 3rd overall with 12.7 RPG as a freshman; Grant Hill averaged less than half that in college, their games don't match up at all. He's 0.5 behind Hield in PER and 0.2 behind him in Win Shares, again as a freshman. Yes, any GM that took Hield over Simmons would be seen to have made a brutal mistake.

Michael Redd has been my highest comparison for him, as well (though people forget just how good that guy was before injuries).

In any case, yeah, Ben Simmons is most certainly a wiser pick, it is not even close. Anything is possible, but I do not see Hield surpassing Simmons in the NBA. I am actually quite a fan of his, though.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#16 » by Dcebucks11 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:03 am

He's an underrated athlete although pretty short for his size.. His jumper is money tho.. Most wet jumper Ive seen in awhile..

He's a fine pick in the late lotto
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 am

I think he should end up at the end of the Top 10. I'd be pretty surprised if he goes outside the lottery. One of the biggest climbers this season.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#18 » by Dcebucks11 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:48 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think he should end up at the end of the Top 10. I'd be pretty surprised if he goes outside the lottery. One of the biggest climbers this season.

I wouldn't be surprised, if he had better handles and vision of a decent guard he'd be a top 5 pick I think but he doesn't
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:17 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Go watch him enough

Thanks for your analysis expert! :thumbsup:

Not analysis, advice. By saying you don't watch enough of him, you're also saying you're too lazy to look it up yourself. You have the answer if you just watch him enough.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Some on the Wolves board really like him, he would fill the Wolves need for outside shooting and he has enough maturity that Wolves wouldn't need to wait 2-3 years for him to develop. My question is if he's good enough that he should even be on the radar considering how high the Wolves are going to pick. Is he good enough to be in the conversation at 5-6-7?

Return to NBA Draft