ImageImage

How good can our Secondary be in a year or two?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

How good can our Secondary be in a year or two? 

Post#1 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 pm

I ask cause the more I think about it the more I love how our secondary looks going forward.

Shields is a borderline Pro Bowler and should continue to be so the next few years barring injury.

I'll admit I wasn't overly excited about Randall but aside from the blown coverage in OT boy that kid can ball and looks to have some big time potential.

Rollins is the player I think will be the best of the bunch though which says alot about what I think of him. Only played one year of college ball and was a big project comming out but showed just a natural nose for the football. When he starts learning better technique and the proper way of playing coverages instead of just relying on his natural instinct that kid is going to be special.

I think Ha Ha is another borderline Pro Bowl guy and Burnett is good in run support and definitely a solid counter part at Saftey.

In two years, or even as soon as next season depending on progression rates (ok next year might be a reach), this secondary has the talent to be as good or better than any teams in the league and that can do wonders for a D.

Curious if anyone else thinks the ceiling is as high as I do with this secondary within the next two years
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Re: How good can our Secondary be in a year or two? 

Post#2 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Agree completely. And you forgot about Gunter who I forget what game late in year came in and played 20 plays without getting burned and the coaches/beat writers raved about him in training camp.

Biggest issue this year was the using hyde in the dime against a slot WR or any TE, no idea why Rollins wasn't used there.

Next years biggest challenge is replacing Hayward who was one of the top 5 slot corners in the league and is likely leaving, will be interesting to see if Rollins can step into that roll.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#3 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 pm

Only as good as the weakest link, which is Hyde, who is quite awful at times.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#4 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:30 am

Mags FTW wrote:Only as good as the weakest link, which is Hyde, who is quite awful at times.

My hope is the coaching staff this summer let's the best guys Play and not hand out jobs, and we let Rollins outshine Hyde.

In season they tend not to bench guys like it took forever to bench Palmer. But hopefully Rollins has a fair chance.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#5 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:34 am

RRyder823 wrote:I ask cause the more I think about it the more I love how our secondary looks going forward.

Shields is a borderline Pro Bowler and should continue to be so the next few years barring injury.

I'll admit I wasn't overly excited about Randall but aside from the blown coverage in OT boy that kid can ball and looks to have some big time potential.

Rollins is the player I think will be the best of the bunch though which says alot about what I think of him. Only played one year of college ball and was a big project comming out but showed just a natural nose for the football. When he starts learning better technique and the proper way of playing coverages instead of just relying on his natural instinct that kid is going to be special.

I think Ha Ha is another borderline Pro Bowl guy and Burnett is good in run support and definitely a solid counter part at Saftey.

In two years, or even as soon as next season depending on progression rates (ok next year might be a reach), this secondary has the talent to be as good or better than any teams in the league and that can do wonders for a D.

Curious if anyone else thinks the ceiling is as high as I do with this secondary within the next two years

TT set up this secondary well. Look at how much investment he's given. 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick in Rollins. They better be good. I'm happy he hit home on these picks we can't afford to miss. I'm excited for the future of the secondary but even the best secondary can be beat without a good pass rush so I hope our front seven or front six is good.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: How good can our Secondary be in a year or two? 

Post#6 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:43 am

HKPackFan wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:I ask cause the more I think about it the more I love how our secondary looks going forward.

TT set up this secondary well. Look at how much investment he's given. 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick in Rollins. They better be good. I'm happy he hit home on these picks we can't afford to miss. I'm excited for the future of the secondary but even the best secondary can be beat without a good pass rush so I hope our front seven or front six is good.

They had a pretty good pass rush this season so if they can find a suitable replacement for Peppers within that time I'm not worried about it.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#7 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:56 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:Agree completely. And you forgot about Gunter who I forget what game late in year came in and played 20 plays without getting burned and the coaches/beat writers raved about him in training camp.

Biggest issue this year was the using hyde in the dime against a slot WR or any TE, no idea why Rollins wasn't used there.

Next years biggest challenge is replacing Hayward who was one of the top 5 slot corners in the league and is likely leaving, will be interesting to see if Rollins can step into that roll.

Good post but I didn't forget about Gunter. I really liked what he showed. I simply wanted to focus on the "starters" of the group.

Didn't have a problem with Hyde as the dime corner and still don't. We definitely defended most of the TEs that we faced better than we have in years past and I gotta give him alot of the credit for that.

As for why Rollins wasn't used more I gotta say my belief is that he was simply just to raw and still learning how to play as part if a defense. This was his second year of competing football since HS so it shouldn't be to shocking.

I agree that replacing Hayward isn't going to be easy as once he got moved into the slot full time he really started playing great. It's definitely the spot he should be at but some team somewhere is going to at least give him what House got and he's going to walk. But with as high as I am on Rollins I definitely think we'll be more than fine. As I've said I live the kid and think he's going to be the best player from this draft class which is saying alot with the kind of promise Randell showed.

Hyde isn't a horrible proposition as a dime CB. In fact I'd guess mist teams would be more than alright to have a 4th CB at that level. If that's the biggest complaint about the secondary going forward we're sitting pretty. And even if someone feels otherwise there's the possibility of Gunter progressing and over taking him. That to me speaks wonders about how this secondary could be such a strength in the very near future
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#8 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 am

RRyder823 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

They had a pretty good pass rush this season so if they can find a suitable replacement for Peppers within that time I'm not worried about it.

Peppers, Neal, Perry. That was a good rotation going between those 3 guys. My fear is if he loses all 3 he will just say, "Oh we have J. Elliott & Mulumba. Good enough."
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: How good can our Secondary be in a year or two? 

Post#9 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 am

HKPackFan wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

Peppers, Neal, Perry. That was a good rotation going between those 3 guys. My fear is if he loses all 3 he will just say, "Oh we have J. Elliott & Mulumba. Good enough."

Hoping 2/3 are back along with a draft pick but it is a position to watch
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#10 » by jimmybones » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:06 pm

I love the trio of Shield, Randall and Rollins going forward, love it. I hope Rollins is the nickel and honestly hope Gunter is the dime. I feel like HaHa took a step back, but am still optimistic there's enough talent there to be a solid starter, probably not a star. I'm ok with Burnett and ok with those two as the safety duo, but not nearly as high on them as the CB group. You'd like to think if those corners can be as good as we think, the safeties can focus more on tackling, blitzing, covering TEs, which I think they are both more valuable as than as centerfielder types.

Hyde....sigh....I think he can be useful in certain packages, or I should say certain matchups. Closer to the line of scrimmage, against slower TEs, etc. He's a guy I'd prefer as a utility back up- 5th CB, 3rd/4th safety, back up punt returner, and valuable special teamer. I really hope the best players play and if that's true I can't see him being more productive as a cover guy than Gunter.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#11 » by crkone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:12 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:Agree completely. And you forgot about Gunter who I forget what game late in year came in and played 20 plays without getting burned and the coaches/beat writers raved about him in training camp.

I think the batted pass Gunter had against Garcon was a great epitome of him. Garcon had him soundly beat on the crossing route, but the pass was thrown slightly behind him where Gunter was able to knock it away. He'll be good to great against most 3s but will struggle against speed.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:49 am

crkone wrote:

I think the batted pass Gunter had against Garcon was a great epitome of him. Garcon had him soundly beat on the crossing route, but the pass was thrown slightly behind him where Gunter was able to knock it away. He'll be good to great against most 3s but will struggle against speed.

Probably accurate. I remember in TC he showed some length so he will use that to his advantage. His ceiling is more like a solid dB but you are right he has some limitations with speed.

Excited like everyone else what Rollins and Randall will be. We may not have 2010 talent with Collins and Woodson, but have two decent safeties 3 possible stud corners could be enough.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#13 » by jimmybones » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 pm

^ Which only makes me more depressed about Collins. Can you imagine prime Collins in a secondary with 3 great cover corners? Good lawd.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,826

Post#14 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 am

jimmybones wrote:^ Which only makes me more depressed about Collins. Can you imagine prime Collins in a secondary with 3 great cover corners? Good lawd.

If Collins never gets hurt we have at least one more title. That is how good he was.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#15 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm unsold on Morgan Burnett. He frequently dropped free interceptions, and actually broke up a couple of interceptions that Randall probably comes down with. I think that if we want to stay solid that we also have to hold on to Casey Hayward. Hyde has to be taken off of the field. I am fine with him being a 5th corner and a 4th safety just to use him as a return man, but the amount of times he got burned by tight ends was absolutely brutal.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#16 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

I love our secondary. When you consider that Haha, Rollins, Randall, and Gunter have been rookies within the last two years, it can only get better.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#17 » by rilamann » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:39 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:
jimmybones wrote:^ Which only makes me more depressed about Collins. Can you imagine prime Collins in a secondary with 3 great cover corners? Good lawd.

If Collins never gets hurt we have at least one more title. That is how good he was.

I think you could def make a case for this when you're talking about the 2011 team.No way is the defense as bad as it was in 2011 if Nick Collins is on the field.Would the defense have still been mediocre? Probably,but Aaron Rodgers was so incredible that season that if the defense had even been halfway decent the Packers probably at least make it to the Super Bowl.

After that I'm not sure,but you can make a pretty good case for 2011.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#18 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 am

rilamann wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

I think you could def make a case for this when you're talking about the 2011 team.No way is the defense as bad as it was in 2011 if Nick Collins is on the field.Would the defense have still been mediocre? Probably,but Aaron Rodgers was so incredible that season that if the defense had even been halfway decent the Packers probably at least make it to the Super Bowl.

If you take 2011 offense and 2015 defense we win a couple superbowls.... :( All we needed in 2011 was average. That's it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#19 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:49 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
rilamann wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:

If you take 2011 offense and 2015 defense we win a couple superbowls.... :( All we needed in 2011 was average. That's it.

If we didn't turn the ball over four times in that loss to the Giants in 2012, we might have still won it all even with our catastrophic pass defense.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#20 » by Balls2TheWalls » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:43 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:
rilamann wrote:

If we didn't turn the ball over four times in that loss to the Giants in 2012, we might have still won it all even with our catastrophic pass defense.

Ugh, and there were some dropped free touchdowns by our pass offense in that game too.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.

Return to Green Bay Packers