ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Knicks Forum Resources - Knicks CBA/Stats/Info/Links

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Re: Knicks CBA FAQ Thread 

Post#281 » by Zooropa » Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 am

Wrong thread
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,901

Post#282 » by Jeffrey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Say no to DeAndre Jordan. We need a legit # 2 scorer.

What do I mean by legit # 2 scorer?
- a player that will not complain when Melo takes 20+ shots
- is okay with 12-15 shots per night and getting 15-18 points per game on a consistent basis
- understand that he will never take the last shot
- he is robin to the batman

DeAndre Jordan is NOT THAT.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#283 » by BKAY » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:03 pm

Havent seen this around yet but whats the luxury tax line going to be like in 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 with the cap bumps, assuming no lock out?
And100
Banned User
And1: 779

Post#284 » by And100 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 8:33 pm

BKAY wrote:Havent seen this around yet but whats the luxury tax line going to be like in 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019 with the cap bumps, assuming no lock out?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/589169246455869440[/tweet]
gelek
Junior
And1: 15

Post#285 » by gelek » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 am

What I have trouble with is the assumption that all deals are going to be higher that's why the deals which would be overprized under the current salary cap are going to be ok.

Look I get the assumption, since the cap is higher the average salary must be higher, but if we look at median vs. average with the current cap there is no reason for me to believe that the increase ratio for "average" player is not going to be nearly as impactful as for max cats. (look at the current projections for median and average in 15-16 http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html).

Actually I could see a player revolt in the next cba-discussion where the union will have more interest in things like raising the minimum salary (why not double it) instead of doing anything to the max cats.

With all that said I am a bit torn on our cap situation. I wouldn't have given a D-Will 5m a year and don't think Afflalos 8m were really necessary, since as I said the market should normalize itself in short order, but I understand that this year might have been special since its like the first shock of an impending earthquake. And under that consideration I give him huge props for not wasting away future capspace as other GM's tend to do.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#286 » by blanko » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm

The market is not going to normalize for a while. If you didn't think Affalo's 8mil was necessary who else did you think we should have gotten for what price? I think you are looking at nba salaries as a whole, rather than moments in time. The ones that are cashing out are the ones becoming free agents at the right time. That's why you saw such surprising contracts.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#287 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Porzingy IS the second scorer. Knicks need someone to BANG inside (that sounded nasty) and open up the perimeter game.
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,397

Post#288 » by ag3 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:47 pm

We need to beat them by 40.
aj49689
Rookie
And1: 119

Post#289 » by aj49689 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 am

gelek wrote:What I have trouble with is the assumption that all deals are going to be higher that's why the deals which would be overprized under the current salary cap are going to be ok.

Look I get the assumption, since the cap is higher the average salary must be higher, but if we look at median vs. average with the current cap there is no reason for me to believe that the increase ratio for "average" player is not going to be nearly as impactful as for max cats. (look at the current projections for median and average in 15-16 http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html).

Actually I could see a player revolt in the next cba-discussion where the union will have more interest in things like raising the minimum salary (why not double it) instead of doing anything to the max cats.

With all that said I am a bit torn on our cap situation. I wouldn't have given a D-Will 5m a year and don't think Afflalos 8m were really necessary, since as I said the market should normalize itself in short order, but I understand that this year might have been special since its like the first shock of an impending earthquake. And under that consideration I give him huge props for not wasting away future capspace as other GM's tend to do.

While the cap will increase, the future will not support it and my guess is the cap will not sustain it self at the higher rate.
If you want, to destroy my sweater. Pull this "Thread" as I walk away.

CARROT SOUP!
Nyk4lyfe
Sixth Man
And1: 565

Post#290 » by Nyk4lyfe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 am

Can someone whose knowledgable about the new CBA tell me what the cap holds for the following players would be for this summer until we resign them?:

Aaron Afflalo
Lance Thomas
Derrick Williams
Langston Galloway

And do we have all their bird rights so that we can first use our up all our cap space and then go over the cap to resign them?
gelek
Junior
And1: 15

Post#291 » by gelek » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Nyk4lyfe wrote:Can someone whose knowledgable about the new CBA tell me what the cap holds for the following players would be for this summer until we resign them?:

First, I only want to keep Galloway from this group, but in so far as financials, here we go:

Aaron Afflalo
Lance Thomas
Derrick Williams
Langston Galloway

And do we have all their bird rights so that we can first use our up all our cap space and then go over the cap to resign them?

All numbers rounded up to the next decimal
Non-Bird: 120% of previous salary so cap holds off:
Afflalo : 9.6M
Williams: 5.3M

As non-bird, they can only get new contracts that start at 120% of previous salary. Noth Afflalo and Williams have a 2nd year player option for 8M and 5.28M though. So if we really want to keep them, coming to an understanding where they get a contract at the same rates again knowing that they are early bird after another year might make sense.

Early Bird following the scond season of a non rookie scale contract: 130% of previous salary
Galloway (is a sophomore but has a min contract): 1.2M
Thomas: 2.1M

Note that early bird exceptions can be for 175% of previous salary or 104.5 of league average salary, whichever is higher. But since Gallo will be a restricted free agent coming of a second year contract, the Gilbert Arenas provision will come into play, so his starting contract can't be higher then 5.7m even though the league average may well be higher.

So what does that mean? If we were a regular NBA team and we wanted to keep Gallo we would tell him right away that we will offer him the 5.7m provided he lets us finish other deals first since his cap hold is tiny. However if he wants the maximum financial incentive (and the market being the way it will be will make it enticing for him) he could sign a 4 yr contract starting at league average and jumping to max after year 2 for year 3 and 4. If he does that, most likely we let him walk as that would also eat 4.5M more of our capspace.
Nyk4lyfe
Sixth Man
And1: 565

Post#292 » by Nyk4lyfe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 pm

gelek wrote:
Nyk4lyfe wrote:Can someone whose knowledgable about the new CBA tell me what the cap holds for the following players would be for this summer until we resign them?:

First, I only want to keep Galloway from this group, but in so far as financials, here we go:

Aaron Afflalo
Lance Thomas
Derrick Williams
Langston Galloway

All numbers rounded up to the next decimal
Non-Bird: 120% of previous salary so cap holds off:
Afflalo : 9.6M
Williams: 5.3M

As non-bird, they can only get new contracts that start at 120% of previous salary. Noth Afflalo and Williams have a 2nd year player option for 8M and 5.28M though. So if we really want to keep them, coming to an understanding where they get a contract at the same rates again knowing that they are early bird after another year might make sense.

Early Bird following the scond season of a non rookie scale contract: 130% of previous salary
Galloway (is a sophomore but has a min contract): 1.2M
Thomas: 2.1M

Note that early bird exceptions can be for 175% of previous salary or 104.5 of league average salary, whichever is higher. But since Gallo will be a restricted free agent coming of a second year contract, the Gilbert Arenas provision will come into play, so his starting contract can't be higher then 5.7m even though the league average may well be higher.

So what does that mean? If we were a regular NBA team and we wanted to keep Gallo we would tell him right away that we will offer him the 5.7m provided he lets us finish other deals first since his cap hold is tiny. However if he wants the maximum financial incentive (and the market being the way it will be will make it enticing for him) he could sign a 4 yr contract starting at league average and jumping to max after year 2 for year 3 and 4. If he does that, most likely we let him walk as that would also eat 4.5M more of our capspace.

Wow, thank you for this.

I'm actually assuming Afflalo and D-Will opt out of their player options this summer. They're putting up good seasons and with this new money floating around, I fully expect them to pursue a long term contract.

For these non-bird players (Afflalo and D-Will), can we keep their cap holds, sign other people till we run out of cap space and then resign them to whatever is fair?

Sorry, kinda new to NBA finances!
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,283

Post#293 » by FreeSpiritNY » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:33 am

Honestly, Yea I'm sick of phil. He is way to stubborn with his ways thats are outdated. His triangle was good for what the league was 10 years ago. You have to evolve like what kerr did with the triangle. You for dam sure know if Kerr was here the triangle would not look like that under phils direction. Phil wants to be the one to say look my system still works. BRAHHHHHHH it doesn't work anymore. How many mistakes are we going to forgive phil for? Brining in calderon and all the other crud he has done.

If we miss out on thibs for Rambis or walton I'm am just straight up done.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#294 » by sushibear » Wed Mar 2, 2016 3:04 am

Jeffrey wrote:Say no to DeAndre Jordan. We need a legit # 2 scorer.

What do I mean by legit # 2 scorer?
- a player that will not complain when Melo takes 20+ shots
- is okay with 12-15 shots per night and getting 15-18 points per game on a consistent basis
- understand that he will never take the last shot
- he is robin to the batman

DeAndre Jordan is NOT THAT.

Damn you still all in on melo?

A PLAYER WHO Will NOT COMPLAIN WHEN MELO TAKES 20 PLUS SHOTS??

are you kidding me?
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,837

Post#295 » by robillionaire » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 am

Can we just kidnap demarcus cousins or something
Maspis
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#296 » by Maspis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:54 pm

@Knickstape1214, I got a private message from you that requires respond but technically can't respond. I didn't see any "replay" button.There is any way contact to you privately?
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#297 » by magnumt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:42 pm

From the GB, I figure you guys would like it/make use of it too:

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1447557#p47463129

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
postcall
Sixth Man
And1: 538

Post#298 » by postcall » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Any cap guys here that can help me out? In 2 years the teams are going to try to clear enough space to make a run at Durant(assuming he does a 1 +1) and Westbrook/. Melo will opt out either way either for more money or a chance to win; is there still a caphold provided he uses it? What type of cap space would we have to offer in order to be able to get them both?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#299 » by dakomish23 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:03 am

Here are the final numbers provided by Duncan and Leroux going into FA '16

Contracts
0-6
4 year contract 4.5% annual raises
22.2 / 94.8
5 year contract 7.5 annual raise
22.2 / 127.7

7-9
26.6 mil / 113.6
22.6 / 153

10+
31 / 132.4
31 / 178.3 - 40 mil in the last year

Exceptions
MLE
5.63 4 years 24 mil

Mini MLE
3 yrs 3.5

Bi-annual

Room (only one NYK can use)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
NYKNICKPLAYA
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#300 » by NYKNICKPLAYA » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:34 am

Why can't we use MLE?

Return to New York Knicks