Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Randy Gregory suspended 4 games 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
2/19/16, 3:02 PM
#Cowboys DE Randy Gregory has been suspended for the first 4 games of 2016 for violating @NFL substance abuse policy. He has a history.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: Randy Gregory suspended 4 games 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:13 am

Great. That means we should draft 2 QB's now. Who the hell needs a D-line.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Takes a lot of guessing out of the "DE or LB" argument come draft day doesn't it...

If you can't pressure the opposing QB, you're screwed in the NFL.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Mr B wrote:Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
#Cowboys DE Randy Gregory has been suspended for the first 4 games of 2016 for violating @NFL substance abuse policy. He has a history.
Says a lot of our vetting process. We vet these guys, do extreme background checks, and then we still draft them. Making the same damn mistakes under the Jerry Jones era hoping for different results. Just plain sick.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#5 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:21 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Says a lot of our vetting process. We vet these guys, do extreme background checks, and then we still draft them. Making the same damn mistakes under the Jerry Jones era hoping for different results. Just plain sick.

They knew exactly what they were getting with Gregory though. The guy was dumb enough to smoke right before the Combine last year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:53 am

I'm sure the Cowboys already have someone in mind from the local methadone clinic to fill in for him while he is out.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:18 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm sure the Cowboys already have someone in mind from the local methadone clinic to fill in for him while he is out.

Haha I don't think Cheech is up to much these days.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

They knew exactly what they were getting with Gregory though. The guy was dumb enough to smoke right before the Combine last year.

See why many of us older true Cowboy fans have no faith in this organization. 2 years ago was smoke and mirrors. The Stars just magically aligned despite Jerry, and we made the playoffs (only to have our hearts broken by the Murray fumble that cost us the game). We were just lucky, it had nothing to do with culture change. Just like you said, bout it and still drafted Gregory. See WHY WE ARE STILL REBUILDING AFTER 20 F-IIIIIING YEARS?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

And we still drafted him. So what does that say about us. See why many of us older Cowboy fans have no faith in this organization? 2 years ago was just smoke and mirrors. A lot of things went right, stayed healthier for the most part, and the stars aligned for us despite Jerry. This is WHY WE ARE STILL REBUILDING AFTER 20 YEARS.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:28 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Says a lot of our vetting process. We vet these guys, do extreme background checks, and then we still draft them. Making the same damn mistakes under the Jerry Jones era hoping for different results. Just plain sick.

See why many of us older true Cowboy fans have no faith in this organization. 2 years ago was smoke and mirrors. The Stars just magically aligned despite Jerry, and we made the playoffs (only to have our hearts broken by the Murray fumble that cost us the game). We were just lucky, it had nothing to do with culture change. Just like you said, bout it and still drafted Gregory. See WHY WE ARE STILL REBUILDING AFTER 20 F-IIIIIING YEARS?

One thing I can say with absolute certainty. Jimmy Johnson would have never touched him. Ever.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:11 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

One thing I can say with absolute certainty. Jimmy Johnson would have never touched him. Ever.

If the guy could play he would have definitely drafted him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Mr B wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:See why many of us older true Cowboy fans have no faith in this organization. 2 years ago was smoke and mirrors. The Stars just magically aligned despite Jerry, and we made the playoffs (only to have our hearts broken by the Murray fumble that cost us the game). We were just lucky, it had nothing to do with culture change. Just like you said, bout it and still drafted Gregory. See WHY WE ARE STILL REBUILDING AFTER 20 F-IIIIIING YEARS?

If the guy could play he would have definitely drafted him.

Nope. You forget Jimmy's overriding mantra. He's said it time and time again.

"Kick me in the head if I ever draft another dumb football player".

Randy Gregory is clearly a dumb football player. Jimmy wouldn't have wasted his time.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Leon Lett? He waisted plenty of time on him. I'm not talking about the two bonehead plays he's famous for. I'm talking about the two drug suspensions he had. Alfredo Roberts wasn't exactly a choir boy either. He was pretty much with Michael Irvin every step of the way. Jimmy didn't draft Irvin but make no mistake Irvin was Jimmy's boy. If you could play Jimmy would take a chance on you.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Too bad. Leon Lett was the best DT we've had since Randy White retired.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#15 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:22 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Too bad. Leon Lett was the best DT we've had since Randy White retired.

I still think if Lett had never done drugs and never gotten suspended he'd be in the HOF right now. The year he had to serve that 1 year suspension he was primed to dominate the NFL. After taking a year off he was never the same when he returned.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 am

Mr B wrote:Leon Lett? He waisted plenty of time on him. I'm not talking about the two bonehead plays he's famous for. I'm talking about the two drug suspensions he had. Alfredo Roberts wasn't exactly a choir boy either. He was pretty much with Michael Irvin every step of the way. Jimmy didn't draft Irvin but make no mistake Irvin was Jimmy's boy. If you could play Jimmy would take a chance on you.

I suppose arguing that all the incidents you refer to occurred post-Jimmy would ring a bit hollow then...
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Too bad. Leon Lett was the best DT we've had since Randy White retired.

I still think if Lett had never done drugs and never gotten suspended he'd be in the HOF right now. The year he had to serve that 1 year suspension he was primed to dominate the NFL. After taking a year off he was never the same when he returned.
Its too bad it all happened. Lett was a bigger and stronger version of Randy White. Total disrupter and line **** disturber. He could have been a great player and possible hall of famer if he had made a few better choices.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:46 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Mr B wrote:Leon Lett? He waisted plenty of time on him. I'm not talking about the two bonehead plays he's famous for. I'm talking about the two drug suspensions he had. Alfredo Roberts wasn't exactly a choir boy either. He was pretty much with Michael Irvin every step of the way. Jimmy didn't draft Irvin but make no mistake Irvin was Jimmy's boy. If you could play Jimmy would take a chance on you.

I suppose arguing that all the incidents you refer to occurred post-Jimmy would ring a bit hollow then...

You're not suggesting all the bad behavior started after Jimmy left are you? Considering it's been well documented that this all started while Jimmy was still coaching the team.

Jimmy himself has said that he put players on different scales. If you could play he didn't come down on you as hard. If you were a spare he's cut your ass.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm saying the threat of Jimmy cutting someone like Roberts would have kept him in line. As far as Irvin - it's my opinion Jimmy could have "helped" him be a little more focused in his personal life. And - face it. Every team with success goes through some of this. That's why I admire Little Bill in Foxboro. He has the knack for finding the right point to cut bait and move on. I think Jimmy - had he been a lifer like Belichick - would have been cut from the same cloth.

Goes back to what Aikman said about Jimmy - Jimmy had fishing.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:I'm saying the threat of Jimmy cutting someone like Roberts would have kept him in line. As far as Irvin - it's my opinion Jimmy could have "helped" him be a little more focused in his personal life. And - face it. Every team with success goes through some of this. That's why I admire Little Bill in Foxboro. He has the knack for finding the right point to cut bait and move on. I think Jimmy - had he been a lifer like Belichick - would have been cut from the same cloth.

Goes back to what Aikman said about Jimmy - Jimmy had fishing.

I agree, Jimmy did know how and when to cut bait with a player. Especially if the player was not productive. Like John Roper for example. He cut Roper to send a message to the team. He wouldn't have done that with a player that was productive on the field though.

I think Jimmy would have been more similar to Bill Parcells if he had stayed in coaching. Jimmy was never the type to stick around in one place for too long. Like Parcells, he would spend 3-5 years with one team and then move on to the next challenge. Jerry gets blamed for forcing Jimmy out but honestly Jimmy was going to be gone anyways. Jerry was just dumb enough to give him what he wanted. He should have looked at trading Jimmy to the Dolphins or Jags for draft picks. Coming off of back to back Super Bowls he could have potentially gotten another Herschel Walker type return for Jimmy.

Return to Dallas Cowboys