ImageImageImageImage

State of Cowboys Union?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,285

Re: State of Cowboys Union? 

Post#21 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:39 am

So your the take the chance side with a guy like Johnny Manziel and I prefer to take a chance on a Myles Jack who is perhaps more like a Sean Lee type with a injury risk. Junkies always crash and burn and you eventually get nothing in return of any sorts.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#22 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:17 am

**** that, I wouldn't take a chance in either. Like I said, injury prone and bad character/chronic bad decisions players should both be avoided. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter if you miss games because of drugs or if you miss games because of injury. Either way you're missing games and hurting the team.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#23 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:46 pm

We have to hit on all our draft choices to have some hope going into next season.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:30 am

We have 4 of the Top 100. All four need to contribute. No misses.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#25 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:We have 4 of the Top 100. All four need to contribute. No misses.

Based on what has happened the past couple weeks, do you want to stay put in our draft order and just take best players available that we need, or are you in favor of doing some moving back here and there to gain some draft choices? Curious to your thoughts.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#26 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Personally if they are going to say screw the QB position then I would prefer they trade back. I'm not impressed with any of the guys being projected to us at 4. Bosa has bust written all over him and I do not want a CB who doesn't get int's.

I'd rather trade back, draft a DT and then a QB and MLB in the 2nd.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:52 pm

I don't think Bosa will be a total bust but I also don't see him as a guy you take at 4. Feeling the same way about Jack too. And - I'm not taking a CB that high. Not in this group.

I'm trading down if possible... and if not I'm really hoping several players stand out this coming week that change the current draft board.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#28 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Ding, ding !!!! We have a winner.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Looks like the Gals want Bradford back. So I'm looking at the draft order and now only see 2 teams that are desperate for a QB. The Rams and Texans. I think if we play our cards right, we just might be able to get 2 first round picks and an extra 2nd.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:33 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Looks like the Gals want Bradford back. So I'm looking at the draft order and now only see 2 teams that are desperate for a QB. The Rams and Titans. I think if we play our cards right, we just might be able to get 2 first round picks and an extra 2nd.

I guess they could go after Foles.

Uhh... Wait...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:04 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Looks like the Gals want Bradford back. So I'm looking at the draft order and now only see 2 teams that are desperate for a QB. The Rams and Titans. I think if we play our cards right, we just might be able to get 2 first round picks and an extra 2nd.

Titans desperate for a QB? They just drafted their guy last year. Rams and Niners maybe but not the Titans. The fewer teams that need/want a QB at the top of the first the less leverage the Cowboys have to demand a 1st and a 2nd.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:35 am

We must be getting our sources from different places. I'm hearing differently regarding the Titans. They are not happy at all with who they drafted last year. They feel they are just a RB and QB away from being serious contenders. With there great Defense and a super Stud WR in Hopkins, I think they are going to be huge players in moving up for a QB. So aren't the Rams.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#33 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:18 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:We must be getting our sources from different places. I'm hearing differently regarding the Titans. They are not happy at all with who they drafted last year. They feel they are just a RB and QB away from being serious contenders. With there great Defense and a super Stud WR in Hopkins, I think they are going to be huge players in moving up for a QB. So aren't the Rams.

No way they give up on Mariota after 1 year. He didn't exactly suck last year either. He just had no protection. I still think they are a prime candidate to sign Ron Leary. If they draft Tunsil and sign Leary the left side of their OL will be dominant. Mariota will also have more success. If I'm the Titans my FA focus would be on Leary and Doug Martin. They could actually make the playoffs if they signed Leary, Martin, and then drafted Tunsil. Then look at Braxton Miller in the 2nd round.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 am

Sorry, my bad. Somehow I made out the Titans as the Texans. I thought we were talking about Houston. I mean't to be talking about Houston anyways.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Sorry, my bad. Somehow I made out the Titans as the Texans. I thought we were talking about Houston. I mean't to be talking about Houston anyways.

Ohhh ok, yea their QB situation definitely sucks. They also need a RB. Most of the mocks lately have them taking Hackenberg late in the 1st. It makes sense since their coach Bill O'Brian coached him at Penn St.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#36 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Instead of responding to the flow Gregory suspension thread, I moved it here because this is where this thread belongs. Its not just the leadership. Its the culture, the front office, the way we draft vs. free agents, etc,. I could go on and on here. The point I want to make here, I feel confident seeing as how we are all pretty close in age here that we may all be in agreement with about what I am about to say. I don't recognize the star on the helmet and our uniform anymore. The leadership, our class, our rich tradition, our business model, front office and the way we draft is so foreign to me now. We are not the class organization we once loved and fell in love with, feared and respected by everyone. Growing up as a kid, I always heard nobody wanted to play the Cowboys or go up against Landry come playoff time. We are now the laughing stock of the NFL. we are not feared or respected anymore. We have no leadership, front office and management is a joke and quite embarrassing to be honest. Jerry treats this organization as a play toy on the side. I know I'm going off again making some of the same points I have for a few months now. But damn it, being a team in the nfl, you need to have one of the top notch coaches in the league. We don't have that anymore. A very neccesary ingrediant to winning championships and being succesfull year in and year out. A COACH.There were no complaints for 29 years regarding Landry till Jerry came along. When you treat a leganday coach like Landry who built from the very bottom, a team we called America's team way before Jerry came along. Based on how he was treated and what Jerry has done and proven to everyone his football knowledge and football skills, is there any more evidence we need on the direction this franchisehas taken. When you can't get the best football coach in the NFL to be with the Cowboys, something is wrong. Especially when our franchise is the second most valuable franchise in the world. Like I said, I don't know what the Star stands for anymore. Jerry does business so much differently than Murchinson.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:12 am

To be fair - not "recognizing" the brand isn't limited to just us lifetime Cowboys fans. As I've mentioned more than once - my best friend of over 40 years is a Redskins fan. He has the same issue with regard to his heroes. It's more than the mismanagement of a franchise. Free agency completely changed the dynamics of what "being a fan" is all about - and not for the better. We grew up with the concept of our team - for better or worse - being "our team". Part of that was having players we could identify with and genuinely like. We had our share of players we were offended by (Septien... Rentzel... Hollywood - when he went off the rails...) but the whole FA thing (along with the Salary Cap - it plays a part here also) changed the dynamic. I hated losing a quality guy like Jason Hatcher. Just as I hated losing Norton... and Gogan... every bit as much as I hated seeing the influx of "me" guys like Deion... and T.O. Owens... and that POS Hardy. Sadly, that is the nature of the business now.

I do blame Jerry. But - face it, it's just a different league now.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#38 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:43 am

I fully understand the difference today. I also agree that after the 1983 strike, in which free agency became the new way of life, not much has been the same in big D. Apparently we have not adapted well to the new way of things now. I can buy part of what you are saying, but I see teams like the Packers, Seahawks and Patriots that seem to be doing well for many years under the same current system we are in. Like I have said before, we don't have the LEADERSHIP and the most important pieces in place to be competitive in this new NFL world order. Plain and simple. And what do I mean by pieces? Well, Going out and getting the best coach in the game would be so huge for us, you have no idea. The lack of leadership by the owner has disallowed leadership at the coaching position so leadership of men can be implemented.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#39 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:40 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:I don't think Bosa will be a total bust but I also don't see him as a guy you take at 4. Feeling the same way about Jack too. And - I'm not taking a CB that high. Not in this group.

I'm trading down if possible... and if not I'm really hoping several players stand out this coming week that change the current draft board.

What are your thoughts on Deforest Buckner?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:51 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:I don't think Bosa will be a total bust but I also don't see him as a guy you take at 4. Feeling the same way about Jack too. And - I'm not taking a CB that high. Not in this group.

What are your thoughts on Deforest Buckner?

Did the reading. I guess I have the same question the Cowboys do right now. Can he play a 4-3 DT? If he can, it sounds like he wow'd them.

Got plenty of time to figure it out.

Return to Dallas Cowboys