Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Marquese Chriss 

Post#1 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Is he a better prospect than Rabb?

Rabb is a good rebounder and defender but Chriss is more athletic and has an outside shot. For an ideal stretch-4 you want a combination of the two but Chriss might be closer to the new NBA's stretch 4. Does that make him a better prospect??
Ska needs to make a comeback.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Marquese Chriss 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Rabb is a Big, Chriss is a swing, not the same position or projection.
Rabb is much more skilled and rounded, he has a better understanding of the game and skills, whereas Chriss is pretty raw, although he has a smooth game.
I think Marquese is staying put in Washington, so I dont expect him to declare, if he does he should go top20 just based on potential alone, this draft is just that weak.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 pm

I think Chriss should be a lottery pick should he declare. I saw him live and his athleticism and explosiveness jumping make his abilities tantalizing. He's going to be a great offensive rebounder and he's going to dunk on a lot of guys. This guy is 6'9 and super athletic. He's not a bad passer too. I honestly could see Blake Griffin in him except Chriss is actually a much better defender. I have a man-crush on Chriss as a prospect. He's raw, but he has SO much going for him. LaVine went 14 when he was raw, but had a lot going for him in terms of athletic ability and I think Chriss would get drafted around there for the same reasons.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#4 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:40 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I think Chriss should be a lottery pick should he declare. I saw him live and his athleticism and explosiveness jumping make his abilities tantalizing. He's going to be a great offensive rebounder and he's going to dunk on a lot of guys. This guy is 6'9 and super athletic. He's not a bad passer too. I honestly could see Blake Griffin in him except Chriss is actually a much better defender. I have a man-crush on Chriss as a prospect. He's raw, but he has SO much going for him. LaVine went 14 when he was raw, but had a lot going for him in terms of athletic ability and I think Chriss would get drafted around there for the same reasons.

Chriss is more Marvin Williams than Blake
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:47 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think Chriss should be a lottery pick should he declare. I saw him live and his athleticism and explosiveness jumping make his abilities tantalizing. He's going to be a great offensive rebounder and he's going to dunk on a lot of guys. This guy is 6'9 and super athletic. He's not a bad passer too. I honestly could see Blake Griffin in him except Chriss is actually a much better defender. I have a man-crush on Chriss as a prospect. He's raw, but he has SO much going for him. LaVine went 14 when he was raw, but had a lot going for him in terms of athletic ability and I think Chriss would get drafted around there for the same reasons.

Chriss is more Marvin Williams than Blake

He has a much higher vert, better laterally and he's so explosive jumping/can get he could jump twice really quickly too, which should translate to offensive rebounds.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#6 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Alright I've seen enough of Rabb play the last few years to see why people compare him to Ed Davis / Chris Bosh. I think he has a higher floor than Ed Davis because I think he has a higher BBIQ. Chris Bosh always had an outside shot so I don't see that but if he expanded his game maybe.
I went over all the game tapes I could find on Chriss the last couple of days and I think his game is closer to Serge Ibaka. Similar physical dimensions. Loves to block shots. Can hit the three. Athletic. I didn't see Chriss in too many fast breaks so I assume he doesn't do that too much. His defense needs to improve but athletic pfs that block shots and can hit the three are less common than Ed Davis / Chris Bosh pfs. Every draft year there are a couple like that.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 4:04 am

Kevin Willis wrote:Alright I've seen enough of Rabb play the last few years to see why people compare him to Ed Davis / Chris Bosh. I think he has a higher floor than Ed Davis because I think he has a higher BBIQ. Chris Bosh always had an outside shot so I don't see that but if he expanded his game maybe.
I went over all the game tapes I could find on Chriss the last couple of days and I think his game is closer to Serge Ibaka. Similar physical dimensions. Loves to block shots. Can hit the three. Athletic. I didn't see Chriss in too many fast breaks so I assume he doesn't do that too much. His defense needs to improve but athletic pfs that block shots and can hit the three are less common than Ed Davis / Chris Bosh pfs. Every draft year there are a couple like that.

Ibaka is a fair comparison, but Ibaka is a better shot blocker and Chriss moves more fluidly, while Ibaka is quicker in a straight line. I think Chriss is also more athletic and a better finisher. Ibaka is more of a 4/5, but Chriss is a 4/3.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:Alright I've seen enough of Rabb play the last few years to see why people compare him to Ed Davis / Chris Bosh. I think he has a higher floor than Ed Davis because I think he has a higher BBIQ. Chris Bosh always had an outside shot so I don't see that but if he expanded his game maybe. I went over all the game tapes I could find on Chriss the last couple of days and I think his game is closer to Serge Ibaka. Similar physical dimensions. Loves to block shots. Can hit the three. Athletic. I didn't see Chriss in too many fast breaks so I assume he doesn't do that too much. His defense needs to improve but athletic pfs that block shots and can hit the three are less common than Ed Davis / Chris Bosh pfs. Every draft year there are a couple like that.

Ibaka is a fair comparison, but Ibaka is a better shot blocker and Chriss moves more fluidly, while Ibaka is quicker in a straight line. I think Chriss is also more athletic and a better finisher. Ibaka is more of a 4/5, but Chriss is a 4/3.

Chriss is 6'9 with a 7'0 wingspan, which is like 4.5-5 inches shorter than Ibaka's. For a PF, those inches are the difference between 'really f'in long' (the KD/AD tier) and 'slightly below average' (the Julius Randle/Thad Young tier).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:27 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:Alright I've seen enough of Rabb play the last few years to see why people compare him to Ed Davis / Chris Bosh. I think he has a higher floor than Ed Davis because I think he has a higher BBIQ. Chris Bosh always had an outside shot so I don't see that but if he expanded his game maybe. I went over all the game tapes I could find on Chriss the last couple of days and I think his game is closer to Serge Ibaka. Similar physical dimensions. Loves to block shots. Can hit the three. Athletic. I didn't see Chriss in too many fast breaks so I assume he doesn't do that too much. His defense needs to improve but athletic pfs that block shots and can hit the three are less common than Ed Davis / Chris Bosh pfs. Every draft year there are a couple like that.

Chriss is 6'9 with a 7'0 wingspan, which is like 4.5-5 inches shorter than Ibaka's. For a PF, those inches are the difference between 'really f'in long' (the KD/AD tier) and 'slightly below average' (the Julius Randle/Thad Young tier).

True, but remember he's 18 years old, so those measurements can change - and might already have.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
doordoor123 wrote: Ibaka is a fair comparison, but Ibaka is a better shot blocker and Chriss moves more fluidly, while Ibaka is quicker in a straight line. I think Chriss is also more athletic and a better finisher. Ibaka is more of a 4/5, but Chriss is a 4/3.

True, but remember he's 18 years old, so those measurements can change - and might already have.

Sure, but it would be extremely unusual for a player to grow 4-5 inches of length after turning 18 years old. We talked about this on these boards a few years ago; IIRC, guys usually grow another 1 inch or so.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#11 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:20 pm

I doubt Chriss would ever be at the level of Ibaka/Durant, he's not that good. If he can play like Ibaka but at Randle/Young tier then he is worth a first round pick.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:30 pm

Should be looked at as a possible top 5 pick honestly. Physical tools and skill are there. The idea that he's less productive than some peers is kind of BS too. Per 40 minutes

Chriss per 40 - 21.3 pt, .59 TS, 8.4 reb, 1.4 ast, 1.5 stl, 2.7 blk
Ellenson - 19.6 pt, .52 TS, 11.9 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.0 stl, 1.9 blk
Rabb - 17.7 pt, .54 TS, 12.4 reb, 1.3 ast, 0.7 stl, 1.8 blk

Chriss is the best of the three in scoring, steals and blocks. Looks good to me
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:07 pm

He is really raw compared to Rabb, I like Chriss he is a good athlete, with solid length and frame, but he looks more of a high energy role player, whenever he gets it together, than a top5 prospect.
I think he stays, Washington is getting a massive upgrade at PG with Fultz, Andrews is more of a shooter that doesnt play point that much, and they can grow together with Murray.
I hope both stay honestly.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:30 pm

Fischella wrote:He is really raw compared to Rabb, I like Chriss he is a good athlete, with solid length and frame, but he looks more of a high energy role player, whenever he gets it together, than a top5 prospect.
I think he stays, Washington is getting a massive upgrade at PG with Fultz, Andrews is more of a shooter that doesnt play point that much, and they can grow together with Murray.

Chriss is a great athlete. You could have said the same thing about Griffin out of college if he was as raw.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 1, 2016 11:44 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is really raw compared to Rabb, I like Chriss he is a good athlete, with solid length and frame, but he looks more of a high energy role player, whenever he gets it together, than a top5 prospect.

Chriss is a great athlete. You could have said the same thing about Griffin out of college if he was as raw.

Blake was carrying much more mass and had a bigger body control and fluidity, and Chriss is smooth, but Blake is an all time great athlete.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:20 am

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Blake was carrying much more mass and had a bigger body control and fluidity, and Chriss is smooth, but Blake is an all time great athlete.

See now you're just nit-picking. I'm not saying he will become Blake Griffin, but his athleticism is really underrated.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#17 » by peachbucket » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:06 am

His body, athleticism, and fluidity remind me of Paul George.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#18 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Mar 4, 2016 2:17 am

I think he'd be an ideal project for a SF/PF who slides to PF in small ball lineups.

Starting to like the idea of him in New Orleans, hope he declares next year.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#19 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 4, 2016 2:23 am

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:I think he'd be an ideal project for a SF/PF who slides to PF in small ball lineups.

Nah, he is a big through and through, more so of a PF/C than a combo forward.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#20 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Mar 4, 2016 2:26 am

Fischella wrote:
ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:I think he'd be an ideal project for a SF/PF who slides to PF in small ball lineups.

Nah, he is a big through and through, more so of a PF/C than a combo forward.

When you have SF's like Giannis out there I'd say it's within the realm of possibility he could be a combo forward (not a tweener). As long as he can move well laterally and train hard at hitting the 3 ball consistently.

Return to NBA Draft