good stephen curry comparison

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,794

Re: good stephen curry comparison 

Post#101 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:00 pm

Westbreezy wrote:This thread is amazing. Its why we shouldn't take pre-draft commentary so seriously. Maybe 1/10 guys here actually predicted how good Curry would be

Yeah, that's why we should never try to 'predict' exactly a guy'll look like. The draft is all about gauging potential + reasonable expectation of achieving that potential, and unpredictable things happen all the time. Beasley is quick, athletic, and can shoot but he simply won't do anything but drive left and shoot 15-18 footers? Horford isn't just capable from midrange, but he's one of the best in the world? AD's actually a better shooter than defender?

All you can really do is see what a player seems capable of doing against NBA comp, and then put him up or down your draft board depending on how likely you think he'll be to adapt that. You can't ever tell exactly how many things a guy will develop or how good he'll become at them. In this case, everyone knew Curry could shoot in the NBA, and everyone knew he could probably use his craftiness to get some buckets on drives, runners, and flip shots. That's why he was a consensus top-8 player. But not even the biggest Curry believer could have predicted he'd develop, for example, one of the best jerky, behind-the-back, step-backs in history. Or that his reasonable green-light range would be 36 feet. That sort of stuff you just can't know until it happens, the mysteries of development and mastery are legit.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#102 » by Marcus » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:09 am

treefi wrote:23.3ppg, 4.3rpg, 7.9apg, 2.1spg this year... My projections for his prime years were pretty damn close... :P

welllllll after this season I guess your predictions wasn't as accurate as we thought

HA!!!

I'm taking back my And1
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#103 » by treefi » Wed Mar 2, 2016 6:16 am

Marcus wrote:
treefi wrote:23.3ppg, 4.3rpg, 7.9apg, 2.1spg this year... My projections for his prime years were pretty damn close... :P

welllllll after this season I guess your predictions wasn't as accurate as we thought

HA!!!

I'm taking back my And1

Only Steph himself saw this coming... :o
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#104 » by Marcus » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:34 pm

treefi wrote:
Marcus wrote:

HA!!!

I'm taking back my And1

Only Steph himself saw this coming... :o

Yeah dude has been pretty incredible.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#105 » by skywalker33 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 5:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to NBA Draft