Jarrod Uthoff

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,727

Jarrod Uthoff 

Post#1 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:17 am

This guy is scoring, blocking shots, shooting 3's at a high clip, and rebounding at a decent rate, all while playing for a highly ranked team in the NCAA. How does he project in the NBA? His ceiling obviously isn't being an NBA star, but I can't see him being anything less than a very good role player in the NBA.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Jarrod Uthoff 

Post#2 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:49 am

Living in Wisconsin, I've seen Uthoff since his soph year at Iowa. He's not a a super athlete, but he's quicker than you think, can rebound, block shots, hit NBA distance threes, and plays within himself. He'll never be a big star, but he's capable of producing for some NBA team because he can play offense an defense and hit those NBA threes. The big question: is he a three or a four? He's pretty skinny for a four, but that might be his best position. He might have problems guarding real quick sfs, but he might surprise there.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Mar 2, 2016 5:08 am

Johnlac1 wrote:Living in Wisconsin, I've seen Uthoff since his soph year at Iowa. He's not a a super athlete, but he's quicker than you think, can rebound, block shots, hit NBA distance threes, and plays within himself. He'll never be a big star, but he's capable of producing for some NBA team because he can play offense an defense and hit those NBA threes. The big question: is he a three or a four? He's pretty skinny for a four, but that might be his best position. He might have problems guarding real quick sfs, but he might surprise there.

Who would you compare him to in the NBA?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#4 » by shangrila » Wed Mar 2, 2016 7:11 am

I wonder if he's like Robbie Hummel before the injuries
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:11 pm

His athleticism is underrated. The issue is that he has stiff movements and can't really move laterally. I think an OKAY comparison is James Johnson, but I think Uthoff is better. Johnson is also a guy that plays for contracts rather than wanting to be really good, which affects how good he actually is.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:09 pm

I just don't see him making it in the NBA. He's a tweener in a bad way, and he's going to have trouble getting his shot off against most NBA forwards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Mar 2, 2016 5:45 pm

doordoor123 wrote:His athleticism is underrated. The issue is that he has stiff movements and can't really move laterally. I think an OKAY comparison is James Johnson, but I think Uthoff is better. Johnson is also a guy that plays for contracts rather than wanting to be really good, which affects how good he actually is.

James Johnson is uber athletic and can't shoot worth a lick.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 12:22 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:His athleticism is underrated. The issue is that he has stiff movements and can't really move laterally. I think an OKAY comparison is James Johnson, but I think Uthoff is better. Johnson is also a guy that plays for contracts rather than wanting to be really good, which affects how good he actually is.

James Johnson isn't Uber athletic, you might be thinking of Wesley Johnson. He's average athletically (like Uthoff) and don't underrate Uthoff's athleticism. And his style of play is similar, but Uthoff likes the peremeter a bit more.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#9 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 3, 2016 12:24 am

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

James Johnson isn't Uber athletic, you might be thinking of Wesley Johnson. He's average athletically (like Uthoff) and don't underrate Uthoff's athleticism. And his style of play is similar, but Uthoff likes the peremeter a bit more.

wat? James Johnson was a monster athlete coming out Wake Forest, and much stronger than Uthoff, that comparison is just bad.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Mar 3, 2016 12:35 am

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Are you serious? James Johnson is UBER athletic, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I get it though, you're one of those who judges athleticism on jumping only, but even then James gets up, just ask Andre Drummond. Not to mention the fact that he can kick a ball off the rim, which I doubt Wesley can do.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#11 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 1:49 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:Living in Wisconsin, I've seen Uthoff since his soph year at Iowa. He's not a a super athlete, but he's quicker than you think, can rebound, block shots, hit NBA distance threes, and plays within himself. He'll never be a big star, but he's capable of producing for some NBA team because he can play offense an defense and hit those NBA threes. The big question: is he a three or a four? He's pretty skinny for a four, but that might be his best position. He might have problems guarding real quick sfs, but he might surprise there.

That's the problem....many players are hard to compare. I guess something like John Leuer but a little more athletic, a better outside shooter and a better defensive player. Uthoff leads the big ten in blocks with an excellent shot blocker in Hammonds at Purdue. The thing is Uthoff blocks many shots away from the basket outside the lane.
Not as quick as Draymond Green, but I never thought Green would be this good. And Green couldn't block shots like Uthoff. However, I don't think that shot-blocking will translate as well to the NBA. Nevertheless, on the right team Uthoff can be a valuable player.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:33 am

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

wat? James Johnson was a monster athlete coming out Wake Forest, and much stronger than Uthoff, that comparison is just bad.

Not talking about Johnson coming out of college. Johnson right now.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:36 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

That's the problem....many players are hard to compare. I guess something like John Leuer but a little more athletic, a better outside shooter and a better defensive player. Uthoff leads the big ten in blocks with an excellent shot blocker in Hammonds at Purdue. The thing is Uthoff blocks many shots away from the basket outside the lane.
Not as quick as Draymond Green, but I never thought Green would be this good. And Green couldn't block shots like Uthoff. However, I don't think that shot-blocking will translate as well to the NBA. Nevertheless, on the right team Uthoff can be a valuable player.

I've said it so many times. Comparing is ridiculous. They're never correct. I've been using them recently because everyone in the draft world makes them. It's contagious.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:39 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Are you serious? James Johnson is UBER athletic, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I get it though, you're one of those who judges athleticism on jumping only, but even then James gets up, just ask Andre Drummond. Not to mention the fact that he can kick a ball off the rim, which I doubt Wesley can do.

I get it though, you make quick judgements based on a comment without listening to reason. James Johnson is no where near as quick or agile as he used to be and can barely get his head above the rim. Again, was talking about now, not when he came out. Having said that, I take pride in my eye-test because in terms of translating to the NBA, I'm often correct. Comparisons I admit I'm not good at, but I don't think comparisons are ever right. I've always been a big advocate against comparisons.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Mar 3, 2016 2:33 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I get it though, you make quick judgements based on a comment without listening to reason. James Johnson is no where near as quick or agile as he used to be and can barely get his head above the rim. Again, was talking about now, not when he came out. Having said that, I take pride in my eye-test because in terms of translating to the NBA, I'm often correct. Comparisons I admit I'm not good at, but I don't think comparisons are ever right. I've always been a big advocate against comparisons.

You're incorrect. James Johnson still gets up very easily and defends 1 on 1 beautifully. His athleticism is incredible and comparing it to Uthoff is laughable.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:05 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

You're incorrect. James Johnson still gets up very easily and defends 1 on 1 beautifully. His athleticism is incredible and comparing it to Uthoff is laughable.

Not talking defense, in that sense he is more fluid. His athleticism is average. Uthoff is also average. You're both overrating Johnson and underrating Uthoff.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:25 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Not talking defense, in that sense he is more fluid. His athleticism is average. Uthoff is also average. You're both overrating Johnson and underrating Uthoff.

James Johnson has average athleticism; now I've heard it all. This is not a knock on Uthoff at all, he's just not in the same stratosphere as Johnson athletically, and it's not even close to anyone who knows anything really.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#18 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:I just don't see him making it in the NBA. He's a tweener in a bad way, and he's going to have trouble getting his shot off against most NBA forwards.

Actually might depend more an where, or what kind of team drafts him....style of play.

For instance as a Warrior fan a 3/4 tweener has become a good thing. Their style on defense of having the ability to switch out on the perimeter is a good thing. He seems to have pretty good range, so he could pull fours out.

And with the Warriors ball movement style, being a catch and shoot shooter is also a good thing. The ball will find open guys, and as long as he is able to be in the right spots, then he should be able to knock down open looks.

So if he can do the basic things like rebound, hustle, and play defense, then he could find a spot.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 7:07 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

James Johnson has average athleticism; now I've heard it all. This is not a knock on Uthoff at all, he's just not in the same stratosphere as Johnson athletically, and it's not even close to anyone who knows anything really.

Right now in his career, yes, he does.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: Jarrod Uthoff 

Post#20 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Mar 3, 2016 9:26 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Right now in his career, yes, he does.

No, right now he doesn't. Right now he's still an amazing athlete.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Return to NBA Draft