ImageImageImage

2016 Offseason Thread

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

2016 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Well, this past season went one game longer than most of us would have thought throughout most of the past season.

Yes, they won their division, but the AFC South wasn't exactly a powerhouse. Lots of changes need to be made. The Texans started this morning by firing three assistant coaches, including the Special Teams coordinator. I have to figure that one was set in stone after the opening kickoff against the Chiefs. I'd say that most observers feel that the problems are greater than the contribution of a few assistant coaches. I'm pretty sure that BOB will be around next year, but what about the GM, Rick Smith?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,115

Re: 2016 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

Special teams has always been a disaster for the Texans and one of my biggest frustrations about them. Is there any hope of that EVER changing, regardless of who the coordinator is?

I'm fine with BOB keeping his job for at least one more season, but is he not somewhat to blame for the tragedy that is Brian Hoyer? That was his guy and he stuck with him even when it was obvious to everyone else how terrible he is. Isn't BOB supposed to be some sort of QB guru? How many more chances does he get?

Well, probably a bunch, seeing as how Rick Smith STILL has a job.

Anyways, the real issue is what moves they make in the offseason to improve not only the QB spot, but RB/TE/O-Line as well. The offense has to get better(and by better I of course mean somewhat competent).

Foster will likely be cut I imagine, and coming off that injury it makes sense though I'd love to see him stay if they can work out a new deal. His injuries are always a concern but when healthy he changes the entire dynamic of the offense, and I'm not sure how easily replaceable he will be(not a big fan of Blue being our #1 RB going into next season at all).

Looking at our unrestricted FA's, the only names I see that I feel we must re-sign are Brooks and Lechler, with Jones and Crick being in that mix as well.

I'd really like to see them draft heavy on the offensive side this year, I just wish I had faith in their ability to actually hit on their picks outside of the first round.

Regardless, it should be an interesting(and very, very long) offseason.

When is spring training?

;)
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#3 » by Slava » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am

If Manning doesn't retire, the Texans should go all out to get Osweiler. Barring that just trade as high as you can until you get your QB of choice from the draft. There's really no other option out there unless you want to jump on the RG3 resurrection bandwagon.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by Prince12 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:25 am

Draft best QB available, no excuses and give the guy a chance. Id rather head down this path then get RGIII. We were a half decent qb away from potentially winning a playoff game. Thats crazy thing to say when we lost 30 zip but up until halftime our d was playing well and it wasn't until after that we got blown out when everyone lost faith in even trying for Hoyer.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Tue Mar 1, 2016 4:40 am

Jaelen Strong arrested for possession of marijuana.

I have my own feelings on the criminal laws involving marijuana; but I have to put those to the side for the moment. Putting yourself in a situation where you can be arrested for weed is just dumb.

I'm not going to sit here and say that he is tarnished in my eyes because of a marijuana arrest; but I hope that he's smarter in the future and displays more situational awareness.

I'm assuming that Bob McNair will have him at the front of the line for the "random" drug testing at camp.
- Winston Churchill
Prince12
RealGM

Post#6 » by Prince12 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 8:17 pm

Arian Foster cut as expected. Sad way to end his time here, I do hope he can get healthy and get back to playing well. Disappointing we couldn't have him out there more often the last few seasons.

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Mr. E » Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:58 am

Any interest in taking a shot on RG3?
- Winston Churchill
Prince12
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prince12 » Wed Mar 9, 2016 8:16 pm

Not enough activity on here for own thread but big news that Brock Osweiler has agreed to a deal in principle. Thought he was pretty good when he came in for Manning.

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Mr. E » Wed Mar 9, 2016 8:42 pm

At the very least he is an improvement over what we have now. I still think that they need to address QB in either the upcoming draft or next year's draft.
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Wed Mar 9, 2016 8:49 pm

OL Jeff Allen & RB Lamar Miller also signed with Houston today.
- Winston Churchill
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#11 » by Slava » Wed Mar 9, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm a Demariyus Thomas fan so I also watched the Broncos quite a bit and I think Broncos would have won the superbowl with Osweiler too. Its quite a coup for the Texans to steal him from a very good Broncos team, finally a good QB for the Texans while JJ is still in his prime. Now load up on a couple of decent targets and hope for the best.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Wed Mar 9, 2016 9:07 pm

A Texans front office being proactive in free agency?

Smith's job must be on the line.
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#13 » by RaoulDuke79 » Wed Mar 9, 2016 11:41 pm

I like the Miller signing and I hope he does to opposing teams what he did to us in Miami this past season.

Not sure how I feel about Osweiler, but for me it's hard to get very excited about any QB they go with at this point after the past, well, 14 years or whatever.

Now how do these signings affect their draft approach? Go BPA in every round like McNair has said?

Still would like to see them draft OL/WR/TE in the first few rounds as opposed to going defense.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Mr. E » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:00 am

I would love to see them draft Hunter Henry (TE) out of Arkansas. I think that he could be there when the Texans draft and I wouldn't consider it a reach at all.
- Winston Churchill
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#15 » by zapatasblood » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:54 am

Can't believe a qb that has show little got a contract that big. Well I hope it turns out great but if it does this better be the final nail in Rick smiths coffin.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#16 » by zapatasblood » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:55 am

I like the Lamar Miller signing though. Means we don't stupidly take a RB in the first.

Oh only thing I truly like about the Brock signing it that we are no longer going after hackenburg

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Mr. E » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 am

I still can't believe that the Texans signed 4 starters for the offense on the first day of free agency. If they can get that Henry guy and another receiver in the second round I'd be stunned.
- Winston Churchill
Prince12
RealGM

Post#18 » by Prince12 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Really solid free agency. I like Brock and really believe he could be a long term option but there is a lot of guaranteed money there for a largely unproven guy as impressive as he was.

RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#19 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:22 pm

Mr. E wrote:I would love to see them draft Hunter Henry (TE) out of Arkansas. I think that he could be there when the Texans draft and I wouldn't consider it a reach at all.

Reading about this kid I have to agree with you, I hope he's available when the Texans are on the clock.

Strengths: Flat-­running stud as a run blocker and a big part of Arkansas' running game success. Strikes into the frame of defenders with inside hands and blocks with a wide, strong base. Able to turn outside linebackers and cornerbacks out of their run fits and sustains his blocks as long as he can. Had no drops and 51 catches this season. Able to secure contested catches and eminent hits won't scare him away from the catch. Able to work all three levels as a go-­to target. Too talented to be covered by most linebackers. Able to run a variety of routes and has no reason to leave the field.

Weaknesses: Don't need much space for this section. Can get a little grabby as a run blocker and was penalized for three holding calls in 2015. Is a little upright into his breaks with rounded turns over sharp cuts. Is a little labored when adjusting his routes to traffic.

NFL Comparison: Jason Witten

Bottom Line: By far, the premier tight end in the 2016 draft. Henry is a big body with the athleticism to get open, the hands to finish catches in traffic and the blocking ability to help give a running game the additional kick it might be missing on the edge. Henry should come in and become a very good NFL starter.

We haven't had a reliable TE since Owen Daniels and it's a spot I think should be a top priority in the draft along with the OL(which I still feel is the #1 priority, particularly with a somewhat unknown QB who by some accounts has issues holding on to the ball too long).

If he's there in the first round I'd be perfectly fine with them taking him and going OL in the second. Another WR would be great as well, but I still have faith in Strong as a #2, assuming he doesn't end up in the doghouse because of his recreational activities.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by Nebula1 » Thu Apr 7, 2016 9:18 pm

Slava wrote:If Manning doesn't retire, the Texans should go all out to get Osweiler. Barring that just trade as high as you can until you get your QB of choice from the draft. There's really no other option out there unless you want to jump on the RG3 resurrection bandwagon.

Nice call.

I still hope they draft somebody as well and get a full stable.

Return to Houston Texans