Anthony 'Cat' Barber

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,492

Anthony 'Cat' Barber 

Post#1 » by My Main Man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:52 pm

I've spent the last 10 minutes looking for a thread on Anthony Barber but can't find anything. Apologies if there is another one and I missed it.

With this draft being considered weak, why is he still mocked to go in the second round? Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of college b-ball, but from the few NC State games I've caught, Barber looks great to me. I get that his FG% is kind of low and he's playing on a team that's not elite by any means, but his speed and his strength for his size make me think that he can at least be a serviceable backup PG from day 1.

Averaging 23.5, 4.6, and 4.5. Quick eye test (again, from someone who doesn't watch a lot of college ball) shows decent court vision, incredible speed, the desire to take the big shots, etc.

I get that he's not going to be the GOAT point guard, but why wouldn't some team give this kid a shot in the late first round?

Highlights of his most recent game.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqnq3gweG0[/youtube]
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Re: Anthony 'Cat' Barber 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:03 pm

He's small, very thin and has a small wingspan. He's also not much of a facilitator. With that said the dude is lightening fast with the ball and even with his smaller wingspan I think he has defensive potential because of how quick he is. Now he wasn't much of a shooter before this season, but if the jumper he is showing this season is for real than I think he will be a great pickup in the 2nd and can be a really solid backup point
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:04 pm

I've always thought he reminded me of a Brandon Jennings-type, but at the same time he doesn't back it up. I see him as an energizer back up PG, which a lot of teams could use. I could see a team like the Clippers using a late first on him because Doc Rivers doesn't care about the best prospect available and really only picks players he likes even if they should go later in the draft. He just seems like a Doc pick too.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

He is a small version of Brandon Knight.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by My Main Man » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Fischella wrote:He is a small version of Brandon Knight.

According to ESPN, he's 1 inch shorter but 1 lb heavier so he's not much smaller. I can def see the Knight comparison which again makes me wonder why he's slotted so low.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#6 » by Coeur » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:03 pm

I have a hard time looking at this years pg class. When Demetrius Jackson is the consensus #2 pg and considered a lottery pick. And then this guy cat barber is considered a second round pick. Josh Adams isn't projected to be picked.

Something screwy with this years pg rankings. Looking forward to seeing what actually happens
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#7 » by saintEscaton » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 am

My Main Man wrote:

According to ESPN, he's 1 inch shorter but 1 lb heavier so he's not much smaller. I can def see the Knight comparison which again makes me wonder why he's slotted so low.

Because Knight is a positionless chucker who won't accept his role as 6th man
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Coeur » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:33 am

saintEscaton wrote:
My Main Man wrote:

Because Knight is a positionless chucker who won't accept his role as 6th man

Well Cat will accept a role as a 20-30 pick. It might be good for him to go to s team where he isn't the best player
EdgeOf
Junior
And1: 92

Post#9 » by EdgeOf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm

What's the difference between Cat Barber and Kemba Walker?
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#10 » by teamjosh04 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:23 am

He's immature, has a low bbiq, can't shoot, small frame and plays on an underachieving team. Poor man's Brandon Knight sounds right.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Coeur » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:39 am

I might like him over all of the Baldwin/Trimble/Ulis/Jackson group

Dunn
Dejounte
Josh Adams
Cat
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#12 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:22 am

Coeur wrote:I have a hard time looking at this years pg class. When Demetrius Jackson is the consensus #2 pg and considered a lottery pick. And then this guy cat barber is considered a second round pick. Josh Adams isn't projected to be picked.

Something screwy with this years pg rankings. Looking forward to seeing what actually happens

Are you low on Jackson? Man I think he will be really good in the NBA my hopeful draftee of the Bulls. Slightly poor mans Westbrook.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:55 am

How is this a weak PG class?

Dunn
Baldwin
Ulis
Newman
Jackson
Trimble
Barber
Felder
Morris
Ferrell
Adams
Wallace
Paige
VanVleet

Even Isaiah Taylor or Briscoe if they declare, that amounts for about 15 legitimate drafteable prospects, and I think there are 6 that I will be willing to give 1st round grades.
It is a good and solid PG class, and I haven't even added some of the more doubtious ones or the combos (Payton, Allen, Brogdon, LeVert, Sulaimon, McCaw, Baker, Cousins, Lô, Forbes, Brizuela...).
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Fischella wrote:How is this a weak PG class?

Dunn
Baldwin
Ulis
Newman
Jackson
Trimble
Barber
Felder
Morris
Ferrell
Adams
Wallace
Paige
VanVleet

Even Isaiah Taylor or Briscoe if they declare, that amounts for about 15 legitimate drafteable prospects, and I think there are 6 that I will be willing to give 1st round grades.
It is a good and solid PG class, and I haven't even added some of the more doubtious ones or the combos (Payton, Allen, Brogdon, LeVert, Sulaimon, McCaw, Baker, Cousins, Lô, Forbes, Brizuela...).

I still think it's pretty weak. A lot of these guys are undersized, even 6'2 is undersized nowadays. Sure, I think a lot of these guys have a chance to make it in the NBA, but not as starters.

Having said that, I really DO like Cat Barber, but I'm not sure what to make of him. He has what I saw in LaVine, he's shifty and that shiftiness is an edge. Also like LaVine, he's explosive. Not as fast, athletic or big as LaVine, but those are two major attributes (shiftiness and explosion) that could make him into a real player in the league. He could end up being an all-star level player, but he also has a really low floor -- like out of the league in two years. I really like his effort on defense and think that could keep him in the league though.
rallydurham
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#15 » by rallydurham » Wed Jun 1, 2016 5:51 am

Seems kinda like a Schroeder type to me. Solid late 1st potential. But likely a quality 2nd rd pick
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#16 » by Spens1 » Wed Jun 1, 2016 9:13 am

Barber seems alright but he certainly has his weaknesses, one being decision making which is pretty bad for a P.G. He is also a bit of a chucker and will force things.

I like him and for a end of the draft kind of guy (mocked at 54 by draftexpress) he is very good. Him and Felder i think will be much better players than they are projected.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#17 » by Spens1 » Wed Jun 1, 2016 9:15 am

Coeur wrote:I have a hard time looking at this years pg class. When Demetrius Jackson is the consensus #2 pg and considered a lottery pick. And then this guy cat barber is considered a second round pick. Josh Adams isn't projected to be picked.

where was he mocked as a lottery pick? pretty sure he is mocked around 20, also he isn't even the consensus #2 PG since some people have Baldwin ahead of him as well as Ulis potentially, not to mention it depends on what position you think Murray is in this draft.
My Main Man
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by My Main Man » Wed Jun 1, 2016 7:38 pm

I've been weirdly high on him for a bit now, but now that we have Thibs as our coach, I would loooooove to snag Cat in the second round if we're lucky. He's going to be a solid scoring threat off the bench for whoever drafts him and with how quick he is, I feel like Thibs could turn him into a solid defender if he's willing to work a bit. I'm 100% on the Barber train.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#19 » by saintEscaton » Wed Jun 1, 2016 8:39 pm

My Main Man wrote:I've been weirdly high on him for a bit now, but now that we have Thibs as our coach, I would loooooove to snag Cat in the second round if we're lucky. He's going to be a solid scoring threat off the bench for whoever drafts him and with how quick he is, I feel like Thibs could turn him into a solid defender if he's willing to work a bit. I'm 100% on the Barber train.

Cat an the Big KAT. Has a nice ring to it
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#20 » by toussaud » Wed Jun 1, 2016 11:00 pm

his game reminds me of a young, buck wild version of tony parker. he's THE FASTEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT and it's not even really close. he has a skillset you can't really teach. you can't stay in front of him.

i think he has a very high floor. at wort, he's a backup PG that comes in to provide a spark off the bench with a change of pace. at best, he's a undersized but cat quick point guard that can run the show and keep the pace going all game.

Return to NBA Draft