[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Re: 2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp) 

Post#21 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 9, 2016 2:06 pm

Team re-signs Colt McCoy to a 3 year deal, able to void it after 2.

They also re-signed Kedric Golston

Mason Foster gets a 2 year contract. I assume Perry Riley's days are numbered
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 9, 2016 10:24 pm

This is from today's Post:

QB Kirk Cousins – Retained with the franchise-player tag.
ILB Will Compton – Signed a one-year, exclusive-rights free agent tender.
S Duke Ihenacho – Received his one-year tender on Monday.
RB Chris Thompson – Signed a one-year, exclusive-rights free agent tender.
P Tress Way – Signed a one-year, exclusive-rights free agent tender.
QB Colt McCoy – Agreed to a three-year contract to remain with the team.
CB Will Blackmon – Mutual interest in working out a new deal. Coaches like his versatility. Can play corner and nickel, and also could wind up playing safety in 2016.
T Tom Compton – A backup capable of playing tackle, guard and tight end, Compton was the only exclusive-rights free agent who had yet to receive his tender as of Monday night.
ILB Mason Foster – Interest in both camps on working out a new deal. Would likely return as starter next to Compton. Has agreed to return on a two-year deal.
OLB Junior Galette – Mutual interest in a return, however negotiations hit a snag when Galette fired his agent. He just signed a new representative on Monday, so talks will soon resume.
DL Kedric Golston – Agreed to a one-year deal to return for an 11th season.
C Josh LeRibeus – The 2012 third-round pick struggled as the starting center. He likely will be moving on.
DE Frank Kearse – Cut multiple times last season and active for just four games, he seems likely to shop his services to another team.
NT Terrance Knighton – Informed by the team that he will not be re-signed.
RB Alfred Morris – Informed by team that he should test free agency, although a small possibility remains that he returns.
TE Logan Paulsen – The team’s top blocking tight end missed the entire year with torn ligaments in his big toe. There’s some interest in re-signing him, but it’s unclear how strong.
ILB Keenan Robinson – Will be allowed to depart via free agency.
TE Alex Smith – He has interest in re-signing, but it’s unclear if the interest is mutual.
RB Pierre Thomas – Moderate interest on the team’s part in re-signing him, but they could wait to see how things play out with others in free agency.
CB Cary Williams – There had been no contact as of early this week
FB Darrel Young – Told by the team that they’re likely going in a different direction.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:15 am

Rafael122 wrote:Team re-signs Colt McCoy to a 3 year deal, able to void it after 2.

They also re-signed Kedric Golston

Mason Foster gets a 2 year contract. I assume Perry Riley's days are numbered

John Keim said they plan on keeping Riley because he played very well with Compton - before he got injured. Seems like everyone played better with Compton than they did with Keenan Robinson.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Colt McCoy's contract is 3 years/9 mil (2 years guaranteed). Cap hit is 2.8 mil for 2016. Considering Chase Daniel got 3/27 (even if most of it isn't guaranteed) to back up Sam Bradford at Philly, we got a bargain.
jarlmaster47
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#25 » by jarlmaster47 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Skins are having a quiet free agency so far which is nice. No major moves need to be made. Hopefully we resign Goldson. Sucks that we had to let Knighton go but he didn't exactly fit and would have been costly. Maybe we'll resign him too because Knighton is a monster. Arguably the best nose tackle in the game. But Chris Baker can step up. Preston Smith too. I'm happy that we didn't make a big splash like the giants did. That was us a few years back. Overpaid, probably won't work out, didn't fill enough holes (aka their offense).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:26 pm

jarlmaster47 wrote:Skins are having a quiet free agency so far which is nice. No major moves need to be made. Hopefully we resign Goldson. Sucks that we had to let Knighton go but he didn't exactly fit and would have been costly. Maybe we'll resign him too because Knighton is a monster. Arguably the best nose tackle in the game. But Chris Baker can step up. Preston Smith too. I'm happy that we didn't make a big splash like the giants did. That was us a few years back. Overpaid, probably won't work out, didn't fill enough holes (aka their offense).

I'd love to see the Skins bulk up Preston Smith some and move him to DE while signing Junior Galette. Smith is not a speed rusher but has really long arms and the frame to harrass QB's - the better to use him lined up closer to the QB. Getting Galette in there with Smith and Kerrigan would give the Skins a lot more ability to bother QB's and create turnovers.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Team agreed to terms w/defensive lineman Kendall Reyes. 1 year deal, sounds like this is depth for the line.

Logan Paulsen is coming back on a one year deal. And we're getting Paul back hopefully, so our tight end depth isn't too terrible now.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Team agreed to terms w/defensive lineman Kendall Reyes. 1 year deal, sounds like this is depth for the line.

Logan Paulsen is coming back on a one year deal. And we're getting Paul back hopefully, so our tight end depth isn't too terrible now.

Sounds like Reyes has some talent BUT has badly under-achieved and pretty much sucked against the run.

But he's durable.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Team agreed to terms w/defensive lineman Kendall Reyes. 1 year deal, sounds like this is depth for the line.

Sounds like Reyes has some talent BUT has badly under-achieved and pretty much sucked against the run.

But he's durable.

Yeah and based on the contract, just sounds like he's a back up.

Will Blackmon is re-signed, 2 year deal.

Tress Way signed a 5 year contract.

Looking like Scot is trying to take care of his own guys, especially if he's not going to go free agent shopping. I'd assume Reed is going to come up soon, and that's going to be an interesting contract. He's probably a concussion or two away from calling it a career.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Good to have a versatile guy like Blackmon back - though it's probably more important that Culliver and Jarrett both come back strong.

I don't get the problems trying to sign Galette. If he's asking for 7 to 9 mil, give him a guarantee of 7 with incentives for the remaining 2. It sounds like he's making good progress on his achilles, so sign him. If he's healthy, he's worth more than 9 mil.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#31 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'd definitely be interested in Weddle - but only at a reasonable price - especially considering he'll be 31 soon. I don't see the Skins paying major dollars on any veteran free agent.

4 years, $29M gets Weddle to B-More. Reportedly only $13M in guarantees, so basically the first 2 years. Wouldn't have been mad at that for the Skins.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:32 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'd definitely be interested in Weddle - but only at a reasonable price - especially considering he'll be 31 soon. I don't see the Skins paying major dollars on any veteran free agent.

4 years, $29M gets Weddle to B-More. Reportedly only $13M in guarantees, so basically the first 2 years. Wouldn't have been mad at that for the Skins.

Yeah, that does sound like a reasonable price. Are there any good safeties to target in the draft? I know nothing about this year's DB crop.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:59 am

They signed David Bruton to a 3 year deal worth $9 million with an additional $1.5 million incentives. Did some research, apparently he's a special teams ace and can start. Based on the money he got, it sounds like he's going to compete for the starting job.

They also re-signed Junior Galette to a 1 year deal worth up to $4 million.

Still think nose tackle is an issue, center is definitely an issue. I think they'll go DT in the first round.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:22 am

Rafael122 wrote:They signed David Bruton to a 3 year deal worth $9 million with an additional $1.5 million incentives. Did some research, apparently he's a special teams ace and can start. Based on the money he got, it sounds like he's going to compete for the starting job.

They also re-signed Junior Galette to a 1 year deal worth up to $4 million.

Still think nose tackle is an issue, center is definitely an issue. I think they'll go DT in the first round.

Wow, the Galette deal is better than some of the numbers I was hearing at the water cooler. Not sure about Bruton. From his stats it looks like he's never been a fulltime starter. I'd hate for him to end up as a more expensive Jauron Johnson.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Bruton played about half the defensive snaps last season. Now we have a bunch of veteran safeties - some who can play some CB. I guess they start out with Bruton and D Hall? Hopefully, they add a young talented play-maker.

Great to hear about the Galette signing. That's a bargain if he's healthy and hasn't lost a step. Now we need a big nasty run-stopping NT.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#36 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Former Washington Redskins running back Alfred Morris will sign a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys, his agent confirmed to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15040471/former-washington-redskins-rb-alfred-morris-sign-two-year-deal-rival-dallas-cowboys

Link doesn't list numbers, but I hope it's something decent. Washington basically took millions of dollars out of his pocket when they went away from the stretch game. Would love to see him bounce back and get paid someday.

But still...Dallas? Et tu, Alf? :nonono:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:39 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Former Washington Redskins running back Alfred Morris will sign a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys, his agent confirmed to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15040471/former-washington-redskins-rb-alfred-morris-sign-two-year-deal-rival-dallas-cowboys

Link doesn't list numbers, but I hope it's something decent. Washington basically took millions of dollars out of his pocket when they went away from the stretch game. Would love to see him bounce back and get paid someday.

I'll be wishing him well while the Boys get beat. It's unusual to see a high character player like Alf sign with Dallas. Cowboys have an excellent O-line, but they don't use the zone-blocking cut-back scheme that seemed to help Alf so much, so I'm not sure it's going to work out for him there. Can't blame Alf for going to Dallas, because there likely wasn't a big market for him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:29 pm

From Rotoworld.com:
Redskins GM Scot McCloughan reiterated the team remains interested in free agent Vernon Davis.
Davis visited the Redskins two weeks ago, and the two sides remain in contact as it's Davis' only known visit of free agency. His play fell off a cliff in San Francisco the past two years, and GM Trent Baalke sent Davis to Denver at the trade deadline last year. Davis went on to struggle picking up the offense and with drops when he was on the field. In D.C., Davis would compete for a job behind Jordan Reed and Niles Paul as long as Paul (ankle) proves he's healthy

We'd have the most injury-prone TE's in the NFL but also the best pass-catching group. Davis has had a real good career, but I'm surprised he hasn't been HOF worthy. He and Kellen Winslow Sr are the 2 most gifted TE's I've ever seen - and arguably the 2 best athletes I've ever seen.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I'll be wishing him well while the Boys get beat. It's unusual to see a high character player like Alf sign with Dallas. Cowboys have an excellent O-line, but they don't use the zone-blocking cut-back scheme that seemed to help Alf so much, so I'm not sure it's going to work out for him there. Can't blame Alf for going to Dallas, because there likely wasn't a big market for him.

Agree with all of that. Didn't seem like he had a lot of options, but I also don't see him being a fit in Dallas since they also run a Callahan system. If Atlanta didn't have that rookie break out last season, I would have thought he'd go there to reunite with Kyle.

Here's a question - does this help Dallas' chances of landing RG3 (assuming they want him)? Man, that would be trippy. Two guys who led DC to a division title as rookies end up as backups with their biggest rival. Wow...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Agree with all of that. Didn't seem like he had a lot of options, but I also don't see him being a fit in Dallas since they also run a Callahan system. If Atlanta didn't have that rookie break out last season, I would have thought he'd go there to reunite with Kyle.

Here's a question - does this help Dallas' chances of landing RG3 (assuming they want him)? Man, that would be trippy. Two guys who led DC to a division title as rookies end up as backups with their biggest rival. Wow...

Yeah, I'm guessing there's never been a rookie QB and RB combo that had better stats than Griffin and Alf. I hope it does turn out that Griffin goes to Dallas, because if he fails - which he will if he goes to a traditional offense like Dallas' - it might as well be with Dallas.

Return to Washington Football Team