ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

manifested
Sophomore
And1: 44

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1161 » by manifested » Wed Dec 9, 2015 3:39 pm

Great stuff. I'm a little surprised at the inconsistency. I'd think efficient offenses would generally be better ATO, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation there. The Lakers, Magic, and Nets in the top ten makes it look pretty random.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1162 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Dec 9, 2015 5:06 pm

manifested wrote:Great stuff. I'm a little surprised at the inconsistency. I'd think efficient offenses would generally be better ATO, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation there. The Lakers, Magic, and Nets in the top ten makes it look pretty random.

There's SOME correlation between overall efficiency and ATO efficiency, just not a lot. Basically, about 23% of variation in ATO efficiency can be explained by overall efficiency. I didn't include info about "late game" ATO efficiency in the article because this was Vice not Grantland, but that relationship is even smaller.

Your post led me to something I wish I'd included in the article: how much teams change year-to-year. On average, since 2009-10, teams move 8.8 spots in the rankings year-to-year. Biggest change was the Clippers going from 29th in 2010-11 to 1st in 2011-12.

The Wizards average rankings change was 10.3, which ranks 21st. So, pretty significant fluctuations year-to-year. The teams with the lowest year-to-year variation:

1. TOR 3.8
  2. MEM 4.5
  3. MIL 4.5
  4. IND 4.8
  5. POR 4.8
San Antonio was 6th at 5.7.

Since Wittman took over, the Wizards year-to-year variation is 11 spots, but virtually all of that change is found in his first two seasons: they ranked 28th in ATO efficiency the year he and Flip combined to coach the team, then 6th during Wittman's first full season, and then 25th, 25th and 28th.

Overall, I'm unconvinced the numbers say a whole lot about coaching. Just way too much randomness. One thing for sure: the numbers don't support the assertion that the Wizards are excellent after timeouts.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1163 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Wall's critique of Wiz defense makes Randy appear negligent. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/03/17/fixing-pick-and-roll-defense-key-to-wizards-turnaround/
“We kept saying our pick-and-roll defense was terrible,” said Wall, who recorded his third triple-double of the season in Washington’s 117-96 victory over the Bulls at Verizon Center Wednesday. “And just coming back in and being able to watch film and see it and talk about it, we looked at it like, ‘That’s not the way you can play defense.’ We all said this what we needed to do. It’s something that should’ve been done a long time ago but there’s got to be communication through the players and the coaches.”
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1164 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:Wall's critique of Wiz defense makes Randy appear negligent. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/03/17/fixing-pick-and-roll-defense-key-to-wizards-turnaround/
“We kept saying our pick-and-roll defense was terrible,” said Wall, who recorded his third triple-double of the season in Washington’s 117-96 victory over the Bulls at Verizon Center Wednesday. “And just coming back in and being able to watch film and see it and talk about it, we looked at it like, ‘That’s not the way you can play defense.’ We all said this what we needed to do. It’s something that should’ve been done a long time ago but there’s got to be communication through the players and the coaches.”

:nonono:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1165 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:27 am

Ruzious wrote:Wall's critique of Wiz defense makes Randy appear negligent. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2016/03/17/fixing-pick-and-roll-defense-key-to-wizards-turnaround/

Same problems still exist now
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 832

Post#1166 » by 9 and 20 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:57 am

Wittman-face was amazing. Is there a Jim Lynam topic buried in this forum?
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1167 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:19 pm

Wittman was the best coach we've had since Unseld.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#1168 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:07 pm

nate33 wrote:Wittman was the best coach we've had since Unseld.

At least those guys had an identity, I'd take those Wittman teams over any iteration of the Wizards under Brooks.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#1169 » by Kanyewest » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:47 pm

Wizards had a much better defensive roster- Nene, Gortat, Porter, Garrett Temple, and Wall. Sprinkled in with a few seasons of Ariza and Pierce. It will be interesting to see if Shepherd can get that identity for the Wizards without sacrificing the amount of the depth that Grunfeld did.

Return to Washington Wizards