Jose Calderon Open To Remaining With Knicks As Backup

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jose Calderon Open To Remaining With Knicks As Backup 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 am

Jose Calderon is open to remaining with the New York Knicks even as a backup.

“For sure, 100 percent,’’ Calderon said Saturday. “A couple of years ago, if my team needed me to do that? I’m not the one putting me in the starting position. That’s question for coach but, yes, 100 percent.’’

The Knicks are interested in upgrading the point guard position this offseason.

Calderon doesn't have a no-trade clause as Anthony does.

“It’s still Easter — not summer yet,’’ Calderon said. “I’ll figure it out when the season is over. I don’ know what’s going to happen.”

The Knicks can create $5 million in cap space for 2016 by using the stretch provision on Calderon.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Re: Jose Calderon Open To Remaining With Knicks As Backup 

Post#2 » by bqmuzik » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 am

also known as "please keep me employed"
Jordo960
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#3 » by Jordo960 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:24 am

What is the stretch provision?
MannyCampos
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by MannyCampos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Jordo960 wrote:What is the stretch provision?

Teams are allowed to waive one player and stretch their money owed over the length of the contract times 2 plus 1 season. For instance, Calderon has 1 season left on his deal at approx. $7.5 million. They can "stretch" that cap hit of $7.5 million over 3 seasons (1 season left x 2 +1 = 3) and have it be $2.5 million over 3 season thus the $5 million cap savings mentioned in the article. Detroit did the same with Josh Smith a little while back. Hope that helps
Jordo960
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#5 » by Jordo960 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:11 pm

MannyCampos wrote:

Teams are allowed to waive one player and stretch their money owed over the length of the contract times 2 plus 1 season. For instance, Calderon has 1 season left on his deal at approx. $7.5 million. They can "stretch" that cap hit of $7.5 million over 3 seasons (1 season left x 2 +1 = 3) and have it be $2.5 million over 3 season thus the $5 million cap savings mentioned in the article. Detroit did the same with Josh Smith a little while back. Hope that helps
Thanks that helps. I wasn't aware of that option.
bselig
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by bselig » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 am

MannyCampos wrote:

I'm almost certain there is no limit on the number of players a team can use the stretch provision on. I think you are thinking of amnesty.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:44 am

bqmuzik wrote:also known as "please keep me employed"

Jose still shoots 40% from the arc with a better than 3:1 a/to ratio. He would have trouble finding employment if he left NY.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion