Jamal Murray?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ChicagoMICda59
Rookie
And1: 175

Re: Jamal Murray? 

Post#41 » by ChicagoMICda59 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Think he can be a solid player, perhaps a poor mans Klay Thompson. Probably Not going to be a star though. If he can grow a few inches and tone up? Who knows.
WTB what a dope choice of pics for pp! PURE VELVET dogg! How can we lose with our captain looking like a cross between bishop don juan and iceburg slim?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#42 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 pm

What team is the best fit for Murray? It seems like people have a hard time figuring out what role Murray will actually play in the NBA.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#43 » by RationalGaze » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Zmill wrote:What team is the best fit for Murray? It seems like people have a hard time figuring out what role Murray will actually play in the NBA.

Not really a hard time as he's going to be a shooting guard at 6'5". Will be able to run the point in spurts, but primarily a SG. In the event he runs PG for a team it'll likely be his next contract as I see it.
Envelope
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#44 » by Envelope » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Zmill wrote:What team is the best fit for Murray? It seems like people have a hard time figuring out what role Murray will actually play in the NBA.

Exactly like CJ McCollum. Undersized shooting guard with pg versatility.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9lbbwB4rA&nohtml5=False[/YouTube]
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#45 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 am

If the Wolves don't win the lottery I'd be very happy to get Murray at 5. Minnesota already has guys who can drive to the bucket in Wiggins/LaVine/Muhammad, they desperately need a knock down shooter to spread the floor and Murray seems like a great fit. He could also play some minutes at backup PG on nights when Tyus Jones lack of size leaves him at a disadvantage. I'd also prefer to have Murray as our 3rd PG instead of trying to have LaVine play a position he just isn't suited for. Murray's age and potential to play some PG would put him ahead of Hield on my draft board.
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#46 » by RationalGaze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 am

wolves_89 wrote:If the Wolves don't win the lottery I'd be very happy to get Murray at 5. Minnesota already has guys who can drive to the bucket in Wiggins/LaVine/Muhammad, they desperately need a knock down shooter to spread the floor and Murray seems like a great fit. He could also play some minutes at backup PG on nights when Tyus Jones lack of size leaves him at a disadvantage. I'd also prefer to have Murray as our 3rd PG instead of trying to have LaVine play a position he just isn't suited for. Murray's age and potential to play some PG would put him ahead of Hield on my draft board.

I don't get Wolves fans' logic when it comes to drafting Murray. You have LaVine and Wiggins headed for their breakout years and will probably be playing 34 minutes a game for you and you all want to draft Murray? He'll get about 14-17 minutes a game to be a backup when he's a starter. Drafting a guy 5th overall to be a backup makes sense how? LaVine's shooting is definitely becoming a highlight as he shot 47% from 3 for March and is currently 40% from 3 for April as well as being almost 40% for the season.
I suggest becoming familiar with all the forwards, because that's likely to be the pick.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#47 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:23 am

RationalGaze wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:If the Wolves don't win the lottery I'd be very happy to get Murray at 5. Minnesota already has guys who can drive to the bucket in Wiggins/LaVine/Muhammad, they desperately need a knock down shooter to spread the floor and Murray seems like a great fit. He could also play some minutes at backup PG on nights when Tyus Jones lack of size leaves him at a disadvantage. I'd also prefer to have Murray as our 3rd PG instead of trying to have LaVine play a position he just isn't suited for. Murray's age and potential to play some PG would put him ahead of Hield on my draft board.

I don't get Wolves fans' logic when it comes to drafting Murray. You have LaVine and Wiggins headed for their breakout years and will probably be playing 34 minutes a game for you and you all want to draft Murray? He'll get about 14-17 minutes a game to be a backup when he's a starter. Drafting a guy 5th overall to be a backup makes sense how? LaVine's shooting is definitely becoming a highlight as he shot 47% from 3 for March and is currently 40% from 3 for April as well as being almost 40% for the season.
I suggest becoming familiar with all the forwards, because that's likely to be the pick.

The problem for the Wolves is that outside of the top 3 in the draft there really isn't anyone who is a great fit for the team. Minnesota needs 3pt shooting, perimeter defense, and a PF who can defend in the modern NBA (guard out to the 3pt line and switch on screens). For all the guys in the 4-9 range I'm not sure that many of them really fill a need for the Wolves. The team doesn't need a PG (Dunn), center (Poeltl), or a project SF with a questionable shot (Brown). I'm also not convinced Ellenson can defend well enough to justify taking him. That leaves only Hield and Murray out of the guys consistently projected to go at the top of the draft. They both would at least provide shooting which has been a major weakness for the Wolves, and between the two I'd take Murray based on age and versatility.

Ideally, the Wolves would get a top 3 pick in the lottery and take one of Simmons, Ingram, or Bender. If that fails, I wouldn't mind the Wolves making a deal to move up to #3 to get Bender. But, if come draft time Minnesota's pick is still around #5-6 I don't see a better option than Murray (though he might be off the board by the time the Wolves pick).
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#48 » by RationalGaze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:38 am

wolves_89 wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:

The problem for the Wolves is that outside of the top 3 in the draft there really isn't anyone who is a great fit for the team. Minnesota needs 3pt shooting, perimeter defense, and a PF who can defend in the modern NBA (guard out to the 3pt line and switch on screens). For all the guys in the 4-9 range I'm not sure that any of them really fill a need for the Wolves. The team doesn't need a PG (Dunn), center (Poeltl), or a project SF with a questionable shot (Brown). I'm also not convinced Ellenson can defend well enough to justify taking him. That leaves only Hield and Murray out of the guys consistently projected to go at the top of the draft. They both would at least provide shooting which has been a major weakness for the Wolves. Between the two I'd take Murray based on age and versatility.

Ideally, the Wolves would get a top 3 pick in the lottery and take one of Simmons, Ingram, or Bender. If that fails, I wouldn't mind the Wolves making a deal to move up to #3 to get Bender. But, if come draft time Minnesota's pick is still around #5-6 I don't see a better option than Murray (though he might be off the board by the time the Wolves pick).

Wolves can get 3 pt shooting in the off-season and draft Deyonta if Bender isn't there as he projects to be a very nice defender as he's already displayed. He shows a hook shot and shows a jumper so you can get split offense out of him and Bjelica. Defensive 4 and a play making backup 4. KG can definitely mentor the kid.
Ellenson will definitely bust hard and there's no debate about it if he's taken in the lottery. The guy is a horrid defender and below average athlete for the NBA.
Drafting based on other mocks will never be the way to go. It's always about who's best for the organization and not the media. I like Ivan Rabb as well, but Deyonta is the better athlete.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#49 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:40 am

RationalGaze wrote:

I actually really like the idea of the Wolves drafted Poeltl. With Dieng playing well, he can stay the starter and have Poeltl come off the bench when you want to slide Towns to the 4. If that were to happen, KG would need to take even less minutes. The Wolves NEED three point shooting though -- especially off the bench. LaVine could still be the starter, but there needs to be even more shooting. Another issue is that you want a stretch four to give room for Towns on the block. Towns, Wiggins and Muhammad all like the block and their offense could flourish with a stretch four that could give them that space. I've heard the Timberwolves really like Ellenson, but everyone else is kind of afraid he's going to be a bust.
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#50 » by RationalGaze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 am

doordoor123 wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:

I actually really like the idea of the Wolves drafted Poeltl. With Dieng playing well, he can stay the starter and have Poeltl come off the bench when you want to slide Towns to the 4. If that were to happen, KG would need to take even less minutes. The Wolves NEED three point shooting though -- especially off the bench. LaVine could still be the starter, but there needs to be even more shooting. Another issue is that you want a stretch four to give room for Towns on the block. Towns, Wiggins and Muhammad all like the block and their offense could flourish with a stretch four that could give them that space. I've heard the Timberwolves really like Ellenson, but everyone else is kind of afraid he's going to be a bust.

I like Towns at center better than I do Poeltl, but I get it. Dieng is much better suited coming off the bench and he'll likely be re-signed to be the backup center. Some more bulk and it'll be solidified. I see the Wolves letting Shabazz go or trading him if they can sign Evan Fournier, but that's not a guarantee. The Wolves can't do everything at once just to fill their needs when other teams need solutions as well. It's in the Wolves' interest to not screw the pick even though you need other things as well. Take a look at Bender, Rabb, Marquese, Sabonis, and Deyonta Davis then make a decision of the 5 if they're somehow all available.
There's always next year's draft as its talent is going to be beyond the Lottery picks and possibly Lottery talent to the 24th pick. Very intriguing draft for certain.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#51 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:26 am

RationalGaze wrote:Wolves can get 3 pt shooting in the off-season and draft Deyonta if Bender isn't there as he projects to be a very nice defender as he's already displayed. He shows a hook shot and shows a jumper so you can get split offense out of him and Bjelica. Defensive 4 and a play making backup 4. KG can definitely mentor the kid.
Ellenson will definitely bust hard and there's no debate about it if he's taken in the lottery. The guy is a horrid defender and below average athlete for the NBA.
Drafting based on other mocks will never be the way to go. It's always about who's best for the organization and not the media. I like Ivan Rabb as well, but Deyonta is the better athlete.

To some degree I agree with you about not drafting to mock drafts, but with the front office situation in Minnesota I have a hard time believing they will take any significant risks during the draft. The interim GM Milt Newton has been told he will be evaluated on whether or not he'll keep his job after the draft and free agency. With that hanging over his head I see little chance that he's going to make a pick that is significantly out of line with the general perception on where guys should land in the draft. Consequently, even if someone like Davis, Rabb, or Sabonis might be the best fit I would be shocked if Milt was brave enough to make the pick. Maybe he could make a trade to move back in the draft, but unless the deal is a clear win I doubt it will happen.

With that in mind I still see Murray as the best option out of the pool of players likely to be considered (unless the Wolves move up or Bender falls in the draft).
Envelope
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#52 » by Envelope » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:55 am

wolves_89 wrote:
RationalGaze wrote:

The problem for the Wolves is that outside of the top 3 in the draft there really isn't anyone who is a great fit for the team. Minnesota needs 3pt shooting, perimeter defense, and a PF who can defend in the modern NBA (guard out to the 3pt line and switch on screens). For all the guys in the 4-9 range I'm not sure that many of them really fill a need for the Wolves. The team doesn't need a PG (Dunn), center (Poeltl), or a project SF with a questionable shot (Brown). I'm also not convinced Ellenson can defend well enough to justify taking him. That leaves only Hield and Murray out of the guys consistently projected to go at the top of the draft. They both would at least provide shooting which has been a major weakness for the Wolves, and between the two I'd take Murray based on age and versatility.

Denzel Valentine would be a really nice fit for the Wolves. He's only a mid-teens pick if you view him as a SG, rather than SF which he is more than capable of excelling at in the NBA. Not only is he a safe pick, but he's lights out from 3, is a great passer since the Wolves only have one (Rubio), and he's a great leader. Wolves only have Rubio and a couple soon-to-be-retired guys for leadership. Valentine is the ultimate glue guy, and that's what the Wolves need.
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 262

Post#53 » by Zukkoyaki » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Jamal Murray would be a good fit for the Pelicans.

Not only can he shoot, therefore helping to free up Davis, and help handle the ball a bit, he is an excellent off-ball guard who is active and excellent at getting points without needing to ball too much. For a team that already has a lot of ball handlers and a legit star player, he'd be an excellent piece to have going forward.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#54 » by pelifan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:00 am

Zukkoyaki wrote:Jamal Murray would be a good fit for the Pelicans.

Not only can he shoot, therefore helping to free up Davis, and help handle the ball a bit, he is an excellent off-ball guard who is active and excellent at getting points without needing to ball too much. For a team that already has a lot of ball handlers and a legit star player, he'd be an excellent piece to have going forward.

And he's a bust, so he'd fit right into the void Austin Rivers left.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#55 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:12 am

I gotta go with Pelicans probably. I still think he is going to be best as a spark off the bench 6th man. When hes on with his jumper the dude can light it up, hes a bad defender and doesnt have much potential on that side of the ball either.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:09 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/732588673699618817[/tweet]
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#57 » by TheZachAttack » Tue May 17, 2016 5:31 pm

RationalGaze wrote:

That's not true or at least not the rational for wanting to draft Murray. Those who are in the Murray camp usually argue that Murray would back up Lavine and get 15-16 minutes there and that you could also then play both Murray and Lavine together for spurts too. Murray would be sort of a 6th man. Him and Lavine are both combo guards that can dish a little bit but probably shouldnt be doing the ball handling duties on their own. That would be an interesting combo of shooting and scoring ability. And you could easily find Murray 25-30 minutes. What looks better a guard rotation of Rubio/Lavine/Tyus? or Rubio/Lavine/Murray. Not to mention he can hit 40% from deep which the Wolves need. And they need a better ball handler off the bench who can consistently create offense.

It's easily do able and would really be cutting into Shabazz's minutes if anything else--which is okay...

Just saying that's the argument whether or not you agree with the pick...that's the logic and it's sound logic.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#58 » by EMG518 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

pelifan wrote:
Zukkoyaki wrote:Jamal Murray would be a good fit for the Pelicans.

And he's a bust, so he'd fit right into the void Austin Rivers left.

He is too good of a shooter to be a bust. There is a place for him in the league. I guess you can say bust relative to expectations is possible.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#59 » by saintEscaton » Tue May 17, 2016 6:27 pm

I think he ends up becoming what Nik Stauskas was supposed to be, strictly a knock down spot up shooter with some off the ball craftiness utliizing down screens. But he will always be a sieve on the other end, so may end up being a 6th man gunner. Doesn't have the handle or vision right now to even be though of as a combo guard. Definitely undeserving of garnering any #3 considerations IMO
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#60 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 17, 2016 7:27 pm

saintEscaton wrote:I think he ends up becoming what Nik Stauskas was supposed to be, strictly a knock down spot up shooter with some off the ball craftiness utliizing screens. But he will always be a sieve on the other end, so may end up being a 6th man gunner. Doesn't have the handle or vision right now to even be though of as a combo guard. Definitely undeserving of garnering any #3 considerations IMO
I don't think it's too useful to judge guys just on a description of their game. For example, we all would've said the same thing about Devin Booker last year, and then he came in and showed great shooting plus even more dynamic-ness and decision-making than anyone expected. In the end, he was easily worth a top pick. If Murray comes in and can knock down 40% of 3s on 8 attempts per game--with half coming off screens and not labor-intensive sets--then he's very very valuable (like a prime Ben Gordon or an off-guard Lillard). He probably won't be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft, that's true, but there aren't any huge upside guys that are safe picks after the top couple of prospects and it'd be foolish to gamble on them in the top 4 or 5.

Also, the thing that makes me hesitate to dismiss Murray is that he's very good at very difficult things already. I sometimes used to blabber on these boards about 'coordination geniuses'--guys who I've seen who have an uncanny ability to master extremely difficult muscle accuracy at very fast speeds. I wouldn't bet against Murray having that rare coordination/muscle memory (though I'm not ready to say he does have it).

Return to NBA Draft