Domantas Sabonis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Domantas Sabonis 

Post#1 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Guy puts up absolutely dominant stats yet there is no thread about him and generally very little talk. What gives? I understand he should be a lottery pick but why not a top 5 pick? Is it his defense, or what?
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Re: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#2 » by Kalela » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm

He has really short arms compared to the rest of his body. Raptor-like. That may be the reason he is not hyped enough. I don't believe anyone will draft him in the lottery even though he is a very good player. Maybe late lottery at best if he continues to have a good tournament performances. He reminds me of Tyler Hansbrough a lot. Not in the way he plays but just in the way his body is built.
Fire Mazzulla
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:58 pm

He is difficult to utilize because he cant stretch the floor as of now and he cant protect the paint in terms of verticality, he can defend bigs and guards on feet movements and all that, he is really agile, so you need a rim protector shooter next to hm and there are just not many of those out there.

If his shooting develop he is going to be really good, he can really pass the ball, he is tough and plays off that energy, I think he could go late-lotto.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#4 » by saintEscaton » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:19 pm

I think he projects as a solid backup center, seeing some Tiago Splitter. Has a relentless motor and is a cerebral playmaker in the post but isn't a faceup threat and lacks a polished back to the basket reperotire, kinda relies on bullyball which won't tranlsate in the NBA . He has some some ability to finish with his right hand which is promising. Hoever his wingpsan is only .5 inches more than his 6'10 height which really lowers his upside
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

KramerDSP
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#5 » by KramerDSP » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

El Hijo del Sabonis is going to be a great role player in the NBA. He's a fun player to watch.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:56 pm

saintEscaton wrote:I think he projects as a solid backup center, seeing some Tiago Splitter. Has a relentless motor and is a cerebral playmaker in the post but isn't a faceup threat and lacks a polished back to the basket reperotire, kinda relies on bullyball which won't tranlsate in the NBA . He has some some ability to finish with his right hand which is promising. Hoever his wingpsan is only .5 inches more than his 6'10 height which really lowers his upside

Splitter was a elite defender against PF, I can see that, offensively I think Splitter has more finesse but if Domas develops a jumper he might not need that, and he is a better passer.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Fischella wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:I think he projects as a solid backup center, seeing some Tiago Splitter. Has a relentless motor and is a cerebral playmaker in the post but isn't a faceup threat and lacks a polished back to the basket reperotire, kinda relies on bullyball which won't tranlsate in the NBA . He has some some ability to finish with his right hand which is promising. Hoever his wingpsan is only .5 inches more than his 6'10 height which really lowers his upside

Splitter was a elite defender against PF, I can see that, offensively I think Splitter has more finesse but if Domas develops a jumper he might not need that, and he is a better passer.

Sabonis is a great passer
franckyvinvin12
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#8 » by franckyvinvin12 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:55 am

He's a PF in the NBA, lacks too much length to play center. Or maybe as a small ball center ala Draymond Green, because he's not that muscular but he's tough on his feet so he push people around in the paint. I can see him as a good role player, energy big off the bench, which is good value for a player drafted at a 15th spot. Low ceiling, low floor. He'll need to develop a 3 pointer to become a stretch 4, but I think he can.

I saw a comparison with Luis Scola, I can definitely see it.
Nuggets18
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#9 » by Nuggets18 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:04 am

I dont think size will be that big of a problem. He has the ideal height for an PF and his winspan is only a couple (two) inches shorter than most players his size.. But his workrate is 2nd to none among big men in this class.. If Kenneth Faried can survive in the league being an 6'6 PF then i dont see why Sabonis cant

He doesnt offer any shotblocking. But what PF's in todays NBA make an impact as an shotblocker??? Porzingis? Who else?
Nuggets18
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Nuggets18 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 am

He didnt have any problem shotting Poeltl down. A guy who is one of the most skilled 7footers to play college ball the last few years. Somewhere between Embiid and Okafor
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Re: RE: Re: Domantas Sabonis 

Post#11 » by Greek » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:38 am

Nuggets18 wrote:I dont think size will be that big of a problem. He has the ideal height for an PF and his winspan is only a couple (two) inches shorter than most players his size.. But his workrate is 2nd to none among big men in this class.. If Kenneth Faried can survive in the league being an 6'6 PF then i dont see why Sabonis cant

He doesnt offer any shotblocking. But what PF's in todays NBA make an impact as an shotblocker??? Porzingis? Who else?

Ibaka, Davis Favors?
Nuggets18
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Nuggets18 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 am

Favors get a couple a game, but he isnt a presence. Gobert is a presence

Ibaka i agree with. But thats two teams out of 30..
Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#13 » by Stackey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Undersized center with average wingspan. And no, he can't just switch to PF positicon, because he can't shoot. Not even mid range. But American hype machine is strong on him.

And claim that he can be compared to Luis Scola doesn't even deserve to be commented.
Barnsey
Junior
And1: 88

Post#14 » by Barnsey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Is it reasonable to imagine Sabonis developing a reliable mid-range game? People are talking about his jumpshot as if it's a finished product
Twitter: @Barnsketball
USER0023942
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#15 » by USER0023942 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Stackey wrote:And no, he can't just switch to PF positicon, because he can't shoot. Not even mid range.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#16 » by dalton749 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:50 pm

He looks like a potential David lee type guy
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#17 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm

dalton749 wrote:He looks like a potential David lee type guy

Sabonis can defend his man and in team setup.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#18 » by dalton749 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 pm

NewWolvesOrder wrote:
dalton749 wrote:He looks like a potential David lee type guy

Sabonis can defend his man and in team setup.

We are yet to see how that translate to the nba though, offensively wise is seems like a decent comparison.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#19 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Nuggets18 wrote:He didnt have any problem shotting Poeltl down. A guy who is one of the most skilled 7footers to play college ball the last few years. Somewhere between Embiid and Okafor

Didn't see the game, but afterwards Sabonis admitted he got a lot of help. Sabonis is a good player, but I'll take Poeltl over him any day.
Yunsen
Senior
And1: 263

Post#20 » by Yunsen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
Nuggets18 wrote:He didnt have any problem shotting Poeltl down. A guy who is one of the most skilled 7footers to play college ball the last few years. Somewhere between Embiid and Okafor

Didn't see the game, but afterwards Sabonis admitted he got a lot of help. Sabonis is a good player, but I'll take Poeltl over him any day.

Watched the whole game. He definitely got some help but the same can be said about Poeltl guarding him. Plus one of Poeltl's baskets came with Sabonis on the bench. Poeltl got in foul trouble in the first half but even with not playing a ton he kept gassing in the second half. Sabonis tweaked his ankle at the end of the first half and was less aggressive in the second half (I think he had 11/7 at halftime).

Return to NBA Draft