Image Image Image Image

going to games, logistics, etc

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

going to games, logistics, etc 

Post#1 » by hermes » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:31 am

hey guys, i've never been to wrigley and am planning on going this summer. planning on catching a couple games (right now i'm looking at july 5-6, because those are the coolest promos they are giving out (jersey and the rizzo catch bobblehead). cubs are finally good and i'm in a good position to make the trip over and watch them. what a time to be alive!

anyway, i thought the people here who have attended cubs games could help enlighten those of us who haven't with tips and tricks to improve experiences and such

lets start with some basics: where are good places to sit in the stadium? i'm thinking since i'm planning on two games i would go one in the outfield bleachers and then one not.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Re: going to games, logistics, etc 

Post#2 » by Posey H8er » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Definitely recommend the bleachers. If the Cubs are indeed good and if the weather is nice, then the closest bleacher rows to the field will fill up relatively quickly. Other parts of the ballpark provide a different experience as well... If 100-level are too pricey I'd avoid the 200-level and try for 400-level. 200-level are below the upper deck and you may get shade or partial obstruction of a pole for the entire game, something I don't want at a ballgame. I like the 400-level a lot at Wrigley because it overhangs closer to the field than probably any other ballpark (hence why I don't like the 200-level as much). I also like that 'above' angle cause it gives me better sight-lines of the ball's trajectories in the field.

If you haven't figured out lodging, lots of people around the ballpark host AirBnB for nice rates and that makes it convenient to get to the ballpark and check out the local establishments. I've never been to the bars before or after games but I would probably not recommend it. A couple late night food places close to the ballpark I've been too that were solid were BIg G's for pizza and Azteca for mexican.

The Red line is superb and definitely use it to get to and from Wrigley and downtown or other parts of the city. If you're driving then the shuttle at 3900 N Rockwell is free and a decent option. Probably 20-25 minutes each way. Parking around the ballpark is pricey and I'd avoid it if possible. I've heard lots of people find free parking at stops north of the ballpark and take the Red line down to the ballpark for convenient access out of the immediate madness around Wrigleyville post-game.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#3 » by Howling Mad » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Where are you coming from?

Either way, plan to take the "El". Thats what the train is called that goes above ground in most areas and under ground for parts of downtown. The line you'll probably end up taking is the red line, which runs north and south. It's a few bucks to ride for as long as you want, there are stops every couple miles or so. The redline stop you want is Addison.

Parking: Green lot is filled with mostly season ticket holders and Rockwell fills up. Most parking in the area is 40 or more and I wouldn't expect to find a meter or a street spot. Most of those are scooped up by the locals and the time you'd need to hunt for one isn't worth it. If you can take the Metra into the city, then use the El to get to Wrigleyville this would be the most stress free time and cost efficient option.

Bleachers: It's not what it use to be. Still crazy, good atmosphere, beer garden type experience. Worth it, but spend more of your ticket budget with a nice seat on the inner bowl.

Non-bleachers: Depending on your budget I'd go for a couple locations. Obviously behind the plate if money is no object, but seats on the sides along the 1st and 3rd base are a good compromise between price and proximity. If you're looking for a great value, Infield terrace reserved are probably the best value for your buck. These seats are under the 2nd deck seats and you can usually find some seats behind the plate. Good seat, low enough to be close, high enough to see all the action, close to food and drinks, vendors come by often, good access to the bathrooms(key at Wrigley), and price isn't outrageous. Watch out for "obstructed view" seats. These seats are, literally, behind a pole.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#4 » by hermes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:42 pm

thanks for the tips guys they are helpful

i'm coming from minneapolis, and i'm not planning on driving myself anywhere while i'm there so no need to worry about parking or anything like that. we'll see on the tickets, i'm not especially worried about getting a great view (aside from it being non-obstructed)

how early should i look to get to the field? i see they have some beefed up security measures this year so that will take some extra time. plus the days i'd like to go have some cool giveaways to the first 10k and 30k people in the park. do i need to get there like more than 3 hours before the game? when do they open the gates? getting there really early won't really bother me, i figure it will give me time to walk around the park
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#5 » by Howling Mad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm

It's two hours prior to game start time, unless its changed this year but it's been like that for as long as I can remember. The park also runs food specials for the first half-hour(?...could be for a full hour). Discounted ballpark food but you get it when it's fresh and hot, not when it's been sitting for 4 innings. If you don't already have meal plans, it's not a bad option before filling up your belly with beer.

Return to Chicago Cubs