Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Jayson Tatum 

Post#1 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:51 pm

I know I am a few months early on this since this year's draft hasn't happened yet but thought I'd start this up cause the Mcdonalds all american game is this week. The reports from practice today was Tatum was the stand out. Reports are Tatum is now up to 6'9 and the dude has handles like a guard and footwork and a midrange game like a 10 year vet. His 3 point shot is also improving and he is an underrated athlete. With Giles and Smith Jr coming off knee injuries I think the 17 #1 pick is going to come down between Josh Jackson and Tatum. Here is a little video of Tatum at the all american practice today. The game is this Wednesday on ESPN just incase anyone wants to take an early look of this very highly touted class

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH52WQpbVFY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Re: Jayson Tatum 

Post#2 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:29 am

Bridges reminds me so much of JR Smith
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 am

Jackson is older but he is a better playmaker, Tatum plays with blinders and looks too much for his own shot, and Josh is also bigger and the better athlete.
I dont think I have Tatum in my top5 for 2017 as of now, his average athleticism is really a cause for concern.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Tatums game looks a lot like Durant's currently.. but so did Quincy Miller. Tatum's foot speed is horrendous.
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Post#5 » by RationalGaze » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I know I am a few months early on this since this year's draft hasn't happened yet but thought I'd start this up cause the Mcdonalds all american game is this week. The reports from practice today was Tatum was the stand out. Reports are Tatum is now up to 6'9 and the dude has handles like a guard and footwork and a midrange game like a 10 year vet. His 3 point shot is also improving and he is an underrated athlete. With Giles and Smith Jr coming off knee injuries I think the 17 #1 pick is going to come down between Josh Jackson and Tatum. Here is a little video of Tatum at the all american practice today. The game is this Wednesday on ESPN just incase anyone wants to take an early look of this very highly touted class

The draft will no doubt be super loaded, but the guys I'm looking at for the number 1 pick are Edrice, De'Aaron, Thon, and possibly OG. I think I can think of 14 lottery picks just from the college game and we'll get to see who rises up as well as international talent. It'll be interesting to see who tanks for what and why.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#6 » by TheGoodDoctor » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:06 am

Actually reminds me of Joe Johnson.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:11 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Actually reminds me of Joe Johnson.

The best comparison Ive heard for him is a taller Brandon Roy
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:16 am

RationalGaze wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I know I am a few months early on this since this year's draft hasn't happened yet but thought I'd start this up cause the Mcdonalds all american game is this week. The reports from practice today was Tatum was the stand out. Reports are Tatum is now up to 6'9 and the dude has handles like a guard and footwork and a midrange game like a 10 year vet. His 3 point shot is also improving and he is an underrated athlete. With Giles and Smith Jr coming off knee injuries I think the 17 #1 pick is going to come down between Josh Jackson and Tatum. Here is a little video of Tatum at the all american practice today. The game is this Wednesday on ESPN just incase anyone wants to take an early look of this very highly touted class

The draft will no doubt be super loaded, but the guys I'm looking at for the number 1 pick are Edrice, De'Aaron, Thon, and possibly OG. I think I can think of 14 lottery picks just from the college game and we'll get to see who rises up as well as international talent. It'll be interesting to see who tanks for what and why.

I wouldn't take Bam #1 because he has the size of a 4 but no offensive skills. Big body and great athlete and rebounder, but thats about it right now. My #1 PG in the class all depends on Smith Jr and how he recovers from the ACL. If he comes back as the same player id take him over Fox but it would be close. I don't even have Thon going lottery, and I don't who OG is. I think if Giles shows he is healthy and recovered I think its going to be a 3 horse race between Giles, Jackson and Tatum for #1
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#9 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:24 am

Lonzo Ball is going to jump right in the middle of this
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Coeur wrote:Lonzo Ball is going to jump right in the middle of this

I wouldn't argue that. He can D up, unbelievable size for a PG. No one in this class can match his passing or vision. His biggest question mark is that shot, but if he has a good shooting year I can definitely see him tossing his name in the hat. Again this is why I love this class, so many guys that have the chance to be really really good players. We aren't talking about just 2 guys like this year's draft class. If you get a top 10 pick ( hell even a lottery pick) you are going to feel like your guy can be a game changer. So freaking deep
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#11 » by Marcus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

I wouldn't argue that. He can D up, unbelievable size for a PG. No one in this class can match his passing or vision. His biggest question mark is that shot, but if he has a good shooting year I can definitely see him tossing his name in the hat. Again this is why I love this class, so many guys that have the chance to be really really good players. We aren't talking about just 2 guys like this year's draft class. If you get a top 10 pick ( hell even a lottery pick) you are going to feel like your guy can be a game changer. So freaking deep

yeah been waiting for this 2017 class to come around. I had hardly any interest in college ball this even with being big on Simmons, Rabb, and Brown. I just knew the talent level in the 2016 class wasn't gonna match 14, 15, or what 17 should be. Next year though I'm glued in. Duke's incoming along with the returning talent should be very good. UK retooled and we'll have to wait and see what Cal does with it and a couple kids from this past season that would be 2 and through and improve stock with good second years.

Tatum to me is a great talent love his footwork and skillset already just think not being a freak in a class full of freaks will prevent him from being the top pick. Whomever gets him though will have a talent on their hands.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#12 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Apr 1, 2016 12:04 am

Righty Jalen Rose, maybe?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Apr 1, 2016 12:36 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

yeah been waiting for this 2017 class to come around. I had hardly any interest in college ball this even with being big on Simmons, Rabb, and Brown. I just knew the talent level in the 2016 class wasn't gonna match 14, 15, or what 17 should be. Next year though I'm glued in. Duke's incoming along with the returning talent should be very good. UK retooled and we'll have to wait and see what Cal does with it and a couple kids from this past season that would be 2 and through and improve stock with good second years.

Tatum to me is a great talent love his footwork and skillset already just think not being a freak in a class full of freaks will prevent him from being the top pick. Whomever gets him though will have a talent on their hands.

Agreed 100%. There are some freaks in this class. I think Tatum has a freakish skillset while there are a lot of freak athletes. And these freak athletes aren't just athletes, they got some good skills too. I just think of Tatum as a taller Brandon Roy cause both just were masters when it came to skill and footwork. I like Tatum at 1 because of his skillset and size combination. But you can make a legit argument for 4-5 guys to go #1 and I couldn't blame you for making that argument especially if Giles and Smith jr recover well. A ton to be excited for this upcoming college season and 17 draft. I think anyone picking top 10 - lottery are going to be extremely happy with the talent they got
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,130

Post#14 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Apr 1, 2016 12:56 am

The first time I really watched this kid was last night in the Mickey D game, and he looked pretty underwhelming. Obviously need to see him more in actual games, but nothing stood out to me. Came away much more impressed with Josh Jackson.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#15 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Apr 3, 2016 8:45 am

TrueWarrior wrote: Came away much more impressed with Josh Jackson.

Was only one Game but me too..
Josh looks just as good on offense as Jayson.. but seems to already be so far ahead as a defender its crazy..

Overall i think Both JJ and Tatum will be amazing NBA Players.. Josh's ceiling is crazy.. He nearly has Wiggins athletism but seems alot more skilled in terms of handling,passing and even a bit in shooting.. He's compared to T-Mac for a reason.. if any of those Kids ever fullfiles the "T-Mac" promise without the injuries and a great work ethic we are talking Top 10 Player ever Potentially..

Tatum has crazy skills for a guy his size.. 6'9 Brandon Roy is actually a good comparison.. and that could also be an amazing player!
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#16 » by Marcus » Sun Apr 3, 2016 11:02 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:

Josh looks just as good on offense as Jayson.. but seems to already be so far ahead as a defender its crazy..

Overall i think Both JJ and Tatum will be amazing NBA Players.. Josh's ceiling is crazy.. He nearly has Wiggins athletism but seems alot more skilled in terms of handling,passing and even a bit in shooting.. He's compared to T-Mac for a reason.. if any of those Kids ever fullfiles the "T-Mac" promise without the injuries and a great work ethic we are talking Top 10 Player ever Potentially..

Tatum has crazy skills for a guy his size.. 6'9 Brandon Roy is actually a good comparison.. and that could also be an amazing player!

Josh's handle still needs work and his outside shot needs consistency with that trajectory on his shot. Defense is stellar, better vision than given credit for, love his competitive streak, scared me a little couple years back at FIFA when it looked like he was pouting instead of playing but seems to have fixed that.

Tatum missed shots he normally hits in the mcdaag but you have to love his footwork and ability to create looks in small spaces. Pretty impressive for his age.

Frank Jackson was money and like I said earlier sooooo looking forward to seeing him at Duke this season.

Markelle Fultz looked good too.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 1:13 am

Marcus wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:

Josh's handle still needs work and his outside shot needs consistency with that trajectory on his shot. Defense is stellar, better vision than given credit for, love his competitive streak, scared me a little couple years back at FIFA when it looked like he was pouting instead of playing but seems to have fixed that.

Tatum missed shots he normally hits in the mcdaag but you have to love his footwork and ability to create looks in small spaces. Pretty impressive for his age.

Frank Jackson was money and like I said earlier sooooo looking forward to seeing him at Duke this season.

Markelle Fultz looked good too.

Ya Tatum shot was a little off and an all star game like that tends to favor the great athletes over the super skilled guys. With that said you can see the potential with this class. A ton of talent and potential was shown in this game. And its crazy to think 2 of the top 5 ranked guys didnt even play including the #1 recruit. Josh Jackson is the closest thing to Mcgrady we have seen in my opinion. Great athlete, may not be as explosive as Wiggins but I think he is more fluid of an athlete. His skills are inconsistent but he can get hot with that jumper. If Frank can show off some PG skills this year he may climb up some draft boards, great build, really explosive and has that great pull up jumper. Cant say it enough, just so much top tier talent in this class, its going to be crazy
mavs77777
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by mavs77777 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 2:54 am

Jackson isn't just older, he's older than Svi (Kansas) who just finished his college sophomore year from overseas. Brandon Ingram, Dragan Bender, Jamal Murray, Ivan Rabb, Marquese Chriss, Furkan Korkmaz all younger than Josh Jackson but he's definitely very good.

Right now my board has Giles at 1, Frank Ntilikina at 2, and I need to make a board beyond that but Fox went down based on his showing at McDonald's All American. Tatum is incredibly skilled but I'm interested to see how he looks defensively and athletically mainly. I think he will have some issues getting to line which lowers ceiling a little, he's definitely in top 7ish tho. Lonzo Ball is an amazing HS player but his tools make him not a great player to project to NBA, Fultz/Smith/Fox all ahead of him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Upperclass » Mon Apr 4, 2016 4:41 am

Smith Jr. will be the #1 pick and best player from this class. Jackson looks like Marvin Williams to me. I dont think Seventh Woods gets the love he deserves either. His floor is probably Avery Bradley.
mavs77777
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#20 » by mavs77777 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 5:28 am

Josh Jackson is nothing like Marvin Williams, he's much quicker and explosive.

Return to NBA Draft