2016 New York Jets Offseason Thread

Moderator: Rich Rane

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Re: 2016 New York Jets Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:03 pm

Barcs wrote:Right now I'm worried about a couple things. We are currently 3m over the cap, still need a TE and multiple linebackers. The only way to free up additional cap space is to trade Wilkerson and/or restructure Dabrickashaw. We need just under 5m to sign the draftees, so as it stands now the Jets need 8m cap space to break even. I can't see them signing Fitz and keeping Wilkerson. Trading Wilks and also restructuring Brick is probably the only way to make it work. I've heard Fitz wants 15-16m and the Jets offered 7-8. Fitz perceived value will go down to around 12-13, so the Jets will probably meet in the middle around 10-11, which means they will need around 20m in cap space, just to sign Fitz and break even, leaving us with multiple holes, including a substantially weaker defensive line. I hope Maccagan has a plan to free up space.

I think trading Wilkerson is his only real option. A lot of talk that teams aren't going to be offering a lot knowing this.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#22 » by Greenie » Fri Apr 8, 2016 4:46 pm

Who's gonna be our LT? WTF Brick?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#23 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 8, 2016 5:54 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jets-left-tackle-d-brickashaw-ferguson-surprisingly-set-to-retire-132434775.html

Dude saw Concussion and decided to retire...we really could use a Wilkerson trade because that's a massive hole you can only fill with a day one pick. I've wanted the line to get younger for a while and Brick's been weaker the past two seasons, but still sad to see him go.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#24 » by Triple C » Sat Apr 9, 2016 11:44 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/718935030777659393[/tweet]
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#25 » by zilby » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:09 pm

Love the Clady trade. Exact same framework of the Marshall trade of last year except filling a different need.

Even though Mac has screwed us financially quite a bit with the Revis and Cromartie contracts, he's done well in making those low-risk high-reward trades. And of course drafting Leonard was a steal.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#26 » by Grover » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Lost in the shuffle was the resigning of Ben Ijalana as Clady's backup. Let's hope he sees the field as often as he did behind Ferguson or takes advantage of the opportunity if Clady goes down. The logic of not waiting for Elway to cut Clady was sound as several teams with cap space could have easily outbid the Jets and the free agent options were downgrades to what Ferguson had become last season. It also removes the need to reach if Decker is gone by #20 and allows MacCagnan to stay true to his draft strategy of best player available. In addition to Wilkerson I tend to believe Geno Smith and Dee Milliner may be dangled for extra draft picks and the resulting cap space.

Zilby, I may be mistaken but I thought Cromartie's ended up as a one year deal with no dead money attached.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:57 pm

zilby wrote:Love the Clady trade. Exact same framework of the Marshall trade of last year except filling a different need.

Even though Mac has screwed us financially quite a bit with the Revis and Cromartie contracts, he's done well in making those low-risk high-reward trades. And of course drafting Leonard was a steal.

I saw an article that said Mac's essentially used this year's FA to set up another nice chunk of cap space for next offseason. It was a couple weeks back and the NFL cap is always tough for me to follow with amount of roster turnover.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#28 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
I think trading Wilkerson is his only real option. A lot of talk that teams aren't going to be offering a lot knowing this.

Seeing the QB's all getting visits with us, maybe that Bears trade rumor has some legs. I'm not enamored with any of the QB's tbh, but moving Wilkerson for a first round QB, a bit of cap relief and some extra goodies would really help us in a roster building standpoint for sure.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie

Post#29 » by Grover » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Though he may not last until #20 I think MacCagnan could select Lynch if available. It's the comments about Petty potentially becoming a really good #2 quarterback aka Chase Daniels which translates to "Next". Whether Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Smith or Petty you have a potential future stud while a placeholder starts this year. I was hoping for more short stuff with touch during his pro day but Lynch has all of the requisite skills and potentially a higher ceiling than Wentz or Goff but you have to wonder about the Memphis quarterback coach when you look at his footwork on tape. It's all correctable issues with Lynch and I'm guessing Gailey loves the dude.
Grover
Rookie

Post#30 » by Grover » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:54 pm

You're an idiot Grover. Hey, I can't have only a dozen posters with a couple of the better moderators on any Knick topic without someone else jumping in with the usual Wroten in the starting lineup, stretching Calderon or trading Melo for garbage posters running rampant. This Jet board is a great opportunity to stay small and go deep. I go to Gang Green Nation and Jet Nation for the idiocracy. Wow me with your knowledge dudes.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#31 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Lynch is an interesting prospect, but with a need to get younger in multiple spots and a collection of aging guys who will need to be replaced by the time he's ready; I really wouldn't want to spend our first on him unless Wilkerson is turned into a couple of a day one picks that can fix the other more pressing needs. The ESPN mock draft had Apple falling to us, I wouldn't have a problem with that pick either. But on Lynch specifically, I've just never had much enthusiasm for him especially with some of the names that could potentially be available.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie

Post#32 » by Grover » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:59 am

Interesting pick in Darron Lee. He certainly fills a need with speed at outside linebacker and it's easy to understand passing on Jack due to the injury. I had him as a top of the second round on my board. I would have looked at Jackson, Ragland and a couple of the 3-4 tackles but we've suffered with a lack of speed on the weak side for too long. Maybe he can cover Gronkowski. I'm holding out for a trade back for a high second and third round pick.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#33 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:53 pm

Only a one game suspension for Richardson...dodged a bullet there.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#34 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Jets have signed Mo Wilkerson to a multi-year extension. I haven't seen the contract details anywhere, but gotta guess this means Fitzpatrick is donezo. edit: Turns out we actually made some extra space to work something out with Fitz. Really nice move to pull this all off.

5 yr 85 million, 37 in the first 2 years, 54 in the first three.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CharleyCasserly/status/754055758266896385[/tweet]

We've essentially locked up a dominant line for years to come.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#35 » by zilby » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Fitzy is back. 1 year, $12M.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#36 » by Barcs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:08 pm

REJOICE!!!! This is great! The team actually got deals done for both Fitz and Wilkerson. I couldn't be happier. The Jets off season is a complete win. Upgrade at RB, Wilkerson signed long term, the only set back is losing Harrison, but all that means is the D line won't be as elite at stopping the run, they will still be elite. Maccagnan has officially proven himself a good GM. Thus far he's made almost all the right moves, despite going into the off season with what appeared to be a very tight cap situation.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to New York Jets