ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#1 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Wittman is gone. Player exit interviews have been moved from tomorrow to tonight -- a clear signal that there is going to be other news tomorrow. Not a surprise at this point.

While many feel that who the next coach is is faaaaaaaaaaaar less important than who is picking the players, here's our space to discuss the options, rumors, and ultimately disappointment when Marc Jackson or Vinnie Del Negro gets hired.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Re: The Next Coach Thread 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:54 pm

Among the retreads, Thibodeau is my favorite choice. This team really needs a coach that will get them to pay attention to detail.

I'm not really in favor of a retread coach, though. I'd rather take an up-and-comer from the assistant coaching ranks. Better to gamble on finding the next Brad Stevens rather than settle for a guy who has been fired at least once.
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#3 » by benb331 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Is Luke Walton a bigger pipe dream than Kevin Durant?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Dave Joerger might be available since Memphis has such a weird owner and front office. (They'd be insane to fire him with how he's coached without their best players)

Luke Walton, Ime Udoka are the types I'd look at.

BUT WE NEED A NEW GENERAL MANAGER FIRST. I DON'T CARE WHO'S COACHING IF THE GUY BUYING THE CRAPPY GROCERIES IS STILL ERNIE
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#5 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:27 pm

At this point I am just indifferent about the coach. This team won't be good until EG is gone.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#6 » by Kanyewest » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:28 pm

According to Michael Lee, Grunfeld was "huge fan" of Jay Wright in 2009 but leaned against hiring him because he was a college coach. I wonder if winning a national championship makes Wright more desirable to EG, although one would imagine that Wright would command an even bigger price tag.

Kevin Ollie also seems a logical choice given his past relationship with Kevin Durant and his success in the college ranks.

I suppose I would be the most excited by someone like Steve Nash. Blatt and Thibs would be decent upgrades. Blatt seems to have excellent x's and o's but his personality is grating to some. Thibs' is a really good defensive coach coach but does seem to run his players into the ground.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#7 » by TGW » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:35 pm

FAH1223 wrote:BUT WE NEED A NEW GENERAL MANAGER FIRST. I DON'T CARE WHO'S COACHING IF THE GUY BUYING THE CRAPPY GROCERIES IS STILL ERNIE

Lol I laughed at this anaology. Indeed, Ernie is the person who goes to the grocery store and buys spoiled, expired milk, overripe produce, and bargain deli meats, and then pays whole foods prices for it.

Anyway, my first choice is Thibs. We need to bring back the defensive mindset. Unfortunately, he's not going to come here considering the last time he dealt with this franchise/front office.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 pm

Looks like George Karl will be available again.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Looks like George Karl will be available again.

If hired on the rebound from Sacramento, Karl will IMO have about as much success in Washington as Flip Saunders, R.I.P.
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#10 » by keynote » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:19 pm

JB Bickerstaff. I'm not saying I want him, but I could see the Wizards giving him points for being Bernie's son.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#11 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Wouldn't mind Joerger, who I wanted when they awarded the job to Wittman. One of the up and coming assistants could be fine too. My inclination, though is to look for a guy who has won big in the minor leagues. They often are successful in the NBA.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#12 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Wow, weird. I swear that on a different forum a few days ago, I said I had a horrible feeling that the next hire was going to be Mark Jackson or Vinny Del Negro.

I don't like that you've independently arrived at the same conclusion fish. I think we need to agree that nobody can mention those names again, in the desperate hope that Ernie and Ted will forget that they're available.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#13 » by 80sballboy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:29 pm

keynote wrote:JB Bickerstaff. I'm not saying I want him, but I could see the Wizards giving him points for being Bernie's son.

How about Danny Ferry as the GM. JB Bickerstaff as the head coach with Wes Unseld Jr. on the staff. Is Greg Ballard still coaching? Maybe he has a son that coaches.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Looks like George Karl will be available again.

If hired on the rebound from Sacramento, Karl will IMO have about as much success in Washington as Flip Saunders, R.I.P.

Oh, I totally agree. Just forgot the green font. :D
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#15 » by JWizmentality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:11 pm

I liked George Karl but not since the DMC fiasco. That would screw any possibility of us landing him if traded. Give me Van Gundy dammit!!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#16 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 pm

nate33 wrote:Among the retreads, Thibodeau is my favorite choice. This team really needs a coach that will get them to pay attention to detail.

I'm not really in favor of a retread coach, though. I'd rather take an up-and-comer from the assistant coaching ranks. Better to gamble on finding the next Brad Stevens rather than settle for a guy who has been fired at least once.

The attention to detail is great. It's the other things that come with Thibs I don't like.

The stubbornness, lack of creativity on offense etc.

Honestly, in general I'm not a fan of "defense first" coaches.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#17 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 pm

80sballboy wrote:
keynote wrote:JB Bickerstaff. I'm not saying I want him, but I could see the Wizards giving him points for being Bernie's son.

How about Danny Ferry as the GM. JB Bickerstaff as the head coach with Wes Unseld Jr. on the staff. Is Greg Ballard still coaching? Maybe he has a son that coaches.

Greg Ballard used to go to the same church I did in Fort Washington.
Bye bye Beal.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#18 » by dlts20 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Go get Bill Lambier. I think he can be a more open minded, less grinder version of Thibbs. The problem is he's more of a risk when right now we need s sure thing who still had great upside. Jay Wright would be #1 by far on my list but I feel like he's not a Brad Stevens who will start with a average team. I think Jay only comes to the NBA for an elite job like the Cavs. However we do have some talent and cap space so if EG can pull off a big signing or 2 real solid moves then I could see him going but Ted would have to pay him like he's already a top notch coach. I could see Cal coming to coach Wall also if we made a couple of moves
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#19 » by JWizmentality » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Hmmm...I had forgotten about coach Cal. But seems like a pipe dream ala KD with the leadership we have in place.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#20 » by payitforward » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 pm

I can't see Calipari coming on to work for Ernie. He's the kind of guy who usually runs the whole show. Hard to imagine any really creative choice from Ernie (hope he's gone, but if he's here I hope I'm wrong).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards