Post#1 » by Reckless » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:53 pm

Declared for the draft today. Thoughts?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y85wVoCF4gA[/youtube]
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Jakob Poeltl 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:04 pm

He is going to be a solid player, will likely add range to his jumper, can pass the ball, solid defensively although he lacks length and athleticism, but he is mobile and smart, play hard, his potential/ceiling is not sky high but he looks like a 10 years starter at C barring injury.

Typical guy to fill a role for a team against some bigs, like Bogut does for GSW, but to play less than 30minpg so you have versatility with some smallball line-ups.

We will see, with the depth in the bigs pool this year, and the lack of need for bigs among NBA teams, he could be a middle 1st round pick and represent solid value.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#3 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Fischella wrote:He is going to be a solid player, will likely add range to his jumper, can pass the ball, solid defensively although he lacks length and athleticism, but he is mobile and smart, play hard, his potential/ceiling is not sky high but he looks like a 10 years starter at C barring injury.

Typical guy to fill a role for a team against some bigs, like Bogut does for GSW, but to play less than 30minpg so you have versatility with some smallball line-ups.

We will see, with the depth in the bigs pool this year, and the lack of need for bigs among NBA teams, he could be a middle 1st round pick and represent solid value.

Lacks athleticism? :noway:
Envelope
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#4 » by Envelope » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:53 am

shaking my head at 10 year starter at center being drafted in the mid-first round of a draft without any better centers.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:36 am

He's pretty much what Asik would be without the setbacks and more skilled at a younger age. I think, for that reason, he can be a very good player in the NBA.
Envelope
Banned User
And1: 42

Post#6 » by Envelope » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:03 am

His rate of improvement has been so insane that averaging 20ppg isn't out of the question
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCGI71BclRk[/youtube]
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#7 » by Notanoob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:27 am

I feel like people have stopped talking about him after Sabonis took him apart in the tournament. He's a real good prospect, he can move, he's a good rim protector, he can pass, he's got a good set of moves in the post, he draws fouls well and he isn't a liability at the line. Outside of shooting threes he's got everything you want in a center prospect. He may be getting underrated a bit.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#8 » by Leprechaun18 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:48 am

I think he could be real good if he improves leg strength. He is not thick but not afraid to bang. He held Okafor to 6pts in sweet sixteen last year.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#9 » by jpengland » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 am

He is a fantastic prospect. He has size, can finish through contact, a few post moves and a decent looking jumper. Defensively he is long, protects the rim and has the quickness to defend the PnR very. He also seems like a hard worker.

I'd consider taking him anywhere past 5.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#10 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 am

jpengland wrote:He is a fantastic prospect. He has size, can finish through contact, a few post moves and a decent looking jumper. Defensively he is long, protects the rim and has the quickness to defend the PnR very. He also seems like a hard worker.

I'd consider taking him anywhere past 5.

He has really average length for a Center, the thing about finishing is that he hasnt really played against strong competition in the PAC12.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:He's pretty much what Asik would be without the setbacks and more skilled at a younger age. I think, for that reason, he can be a very good player in the NBA.

Not as strong but better athlete than Asik. Much better hands than Asik.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,597

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Still dont know how to pronounce his last name, its super tricky.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:54 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Still dont know how to pronounce his last name, its super tricky.

I think it's pronounced "per-tle" or at least that's what I've heard from broadcasts. At the same time LaVine was pronounced incorrectly for a long time.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#14 » by HotelVitale » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm

^ in German, the oe is sort of a growling 'uhh' sound (like in that old Master P song), so when you go from that to the 'ltl' it sounds kinda like 'Puhhrtle.' The 'r' sound is weird because there's no R itself, but it makes sense going from that growl to the lt sounds. (I'm not a native German speaker though so happy to be corrected by someone else.)
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#15 » by SexDrugsPnR » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:22 pm

there is no 'r' sound in his name.

why not just ask jakob?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suYLcsQDdg[/youtube]

also this website is a great source for learning how to pronounce words from all kinds of languages: http://forvo.com/search/p%C3%B6ltl/de/
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#16 » by Nolan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 pm

Big big fan of his. I don't think he has star/go to guy potential but he can be amazing do it all glue guy type center.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#17 » by skones » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:28 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:there is no 'r' sound in his name.

why not just ask jakob?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suYLcsQDdg[/youtube]

also this website is a great source for learning how to pronounce words from all kinds of languages: http://forvo.com/search/p%C3%B6ltl/de/

Certainly sounds like an "r" sound. Purrrtle
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Still dont know how to pronounce his last name, its super tricky.

Supposedly, it's pronounced "Pertal." But after listening to an Austrian news segment on him (I didn't understand a word), they pronounced his name "Pull-tal." Beats me.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#19 » by Kalela » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:18 am

Notanoob wrote:I feel like people have stopped talking about him after Sabonis took him apart in the tournament. He's a real good prospect, he can move, he's a good rim protector, he can pass, he's got a good set of moves in the post, he draws fouls well and he isn't a liability at the line. Outside of shooting threes he's got everything you want in a center prospect. He may be getting underrated a bit.

I was big on him until that game as well. Sabonis completely dominated him and made a non-factor in that game. It was really embarrassing for him how a much smaller player could be that dominant against him. I was hoping the Celtics would pick him with one of their 3 first round picks but I am not sure so sure after that. He really came across as soft as Olynyk and Zeller in that game.
Fire Mazzulla
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#20 » by sipclip » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:06 am

Kalela wrote:
Notanoob wrote:I feel like people have stopped talking about him after Sabonis took him apart in the tournament. He's a real good prospect, he can move, he's a good rim protector, he can pass, he's got a good set of moves in the post, he draws fouls well and he isn't a liability at the line. Outside of shooting threes he's got everything you want in a center prospect. He may be getting underrated a bit.

I was big on him until that game as well. Sabonis completely dominated him and made a non-factor in that game. It was really embarrassing for him how a much smaller player could be that dominant against him. I was hoping the Celtics would pick him with one of their 3 first round picks but I am not sure so sure after that. He really came across as soft as Olynyk and Zeller in that game.

I wouldn't read too much into that game. It was one terrible game and he didn't seem to be feeling well either because he looked completely gassed when he was out there and that is very unusual for him since he is used to playing big minutes.

Return to NBA Draft