Tyler Ulis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Tyler Ulis 

Post#1 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:36 pm

OK. Please forgive me if there is already a Ulis thread.

So. What do you all think about Tyler Ulis? I tend to dismiss him out of hand just because of his size, but then you see IT dropping 42 in the playoffs, and it makes me wonder if smaller players like this are more of a possibility in today's NBA.

You would think the liability would be defense, but Ulis is clearly a very good defender on the perimeter. Yes, players will be able to shoot over him, but he plays very good position ball, draw alot of charges, and gets alot of steals. So, unless an opposing guard is posting up (which is really rare these days) he should be ok.

He has an excellent blend of being able to distribute AND hold opponents accountable with his shot and range, out to way beyond the three point line. He is also a very smart player.

He is very much like a shorter Steve Nash (except Ulis plays d). Would Steve Nash have been effective if he was 5 inches shorter? Probably. Steve's game did not depend on size at all. Ulis is intriguing.

1. Will he be able to get his shot off in the NBA?
2. Will he be able to see well enough to distribute effectively in the NBA?
3. Will his defensive abilities (steals, body position) be enough to outweigh his deficiencies (size, ability of opponents to shoot over him)?
4. Where should he be drafted?
RationalGaze
Junior
And1: 63

Re: Tyler Ulis 

Post#2 » by RationalGaze » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:13 pm

For the record everyone in the history of the Nba has been shot over.
With that in mind if you don't get the best position to line up the shot then you're not going to make many of them.
To keep things short he's going to be a star player, but who's going to take him?
1) Yes 2) Yes 3) Yes 4) Whoever is looking to replace their point. That can be Toronto, Orlando, Utah, Bulls, and Memphis. Ulis does everything one would like in a point guard that other GMs try to get theirs to do. No player is perfect, but you get what I'm saying. Kid's legit.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#3 » by Moooose » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:38 am

I have faith in Tyler Ulis being able to hold his ground against bigger competition. But I had that same faith with Trey Burke.

In my opinion, it has to do with the team fit. I do not really see him as a second rounder, and Philly having 2 picks late in the first round worries me. I don't want him in Philly but he's gonna get good opportunities there.

Anyways, I always thought of Ulis as someone who can make the same impact as Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#4 » by Saberestar » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:31 pm

In today's NBA a player like Ulis can have a successful career over 7 footers without great feel for the game and mobility.

I think he is a terrific prospect and he is a Top 10 player in this draft. Probably a Top 15 on a better draft.

Answering your questions...
1.Yes, he can create space with his dribbling and his hesitation moves.
2.Yes. A ton of great passers has been 6 feet tall so I don't think it's gonna be a big problem being around 5'9 or 5'10 to pass the ball really well.
3. IMO he is gonna be an average defender in the NBA but not a liability. At least like Isaiah Thomas is right now.
4. Around #8 - #12.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Moooose wrote:I have faith in Tyler Ulis being able to hold his ground against bigger competition. But I had that same faith with Trey Burke.

In my opinion, it has to do with the team fit. I do not really see him as a second rounder, and Philly having 2 picks late in the first round worries me. I don't want him in Philly but he's gonna get good opportunities there.

Anyways, I always thought of Ulis as someone who can make the same impact as Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Trey Burke wasn't as quick or as long as Ulis. Ulis is also a lot smarter than Burke was with the ball. I honestly can't remember the last player that controlled the game so well in college.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:51 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Moooose wrote:I have faith in Tyler Ulis being able to hold his ground against bigger competition. But I had that same faith with Trey Burke.

Trey Burke wasn't as quick or as long as Ulis. Ulis is also a lot smarter than Burke was with the ball. I honestly can't remember the last player that controlled the game so well in college.

I was not referring just to the physicals, but on the overall - college game, transition, potential role on a team, etc. I just wish Ulis will somehow land in a team that really knows he can play.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Not as high on Ulis as many other on here. I think he's going to be a really good backup PG. He doesn't have the same explosiveness as IT, that explosiveness helps him finish at the rim. He's a solid shooter, not great but not terrible, he was a really good defender in college but NBA PGs are a different animal than SEC PGs. So I think he will be a really solid defender but not game changer. I don't see him being a starter on a good team but a really good backup
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#8 » by saintEscaton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Kay Felder is a better value pick in the second round
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,731

Post#9 » by Mik317 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Ish Smith's recent resurgence is probably a better example than Thomas. Ish's size sucks defensively but he also just doesn't try either. Ulis' jumper seems to be better and that will open up things offensively. PG defense however is more of a team thing than anything...most of the great PGs will get theirs anyway, so you really just need a guy to try and get up into dudes to not make it super easy. Ulis also will benefit by being surrounded by long athletes who can still cover for him. Lets say we get Ingram...then I think Ulis would be a nice fit here (as an Ish replacement if nothing else) with Noel (and hopefully Embiid) down low to assist....but if not, he's be perfect in places with dominant post defenders.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by EMG518 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:41 pm

doordoor123 wrote:

I really haven't read through this thread but just commenting on one thing. Ulis has a 6'1.25" wingspan and 7'4" standing reach. Burke has a 6'5.5" wingspan and a 8'1.5" standing reach. I wouldn't say Ulis is longer.
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 262

Post#11 » by Zukkoyaki » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm really high on Ulis and hope the Grizz take him with our pick.

The Ish Smith comparison is really solid as well. A super-quick PG who can shoot and is pesky on defense? Yes please. I can see him being a strong backup who can start here and there.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#12 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:18 am

Ulis needs to come to the Sixers. He would be perfect.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#13 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:00 am

I think the promising thing that sets him apart from other tiny PG's is that he's a great floor general (as opposed to purely a microwave scorer) and he's excellent on the defensive end.

He'll face the same struggles the same problems any guy his size has to deal with in the NBA, but he's extremely talented and I hope he pans out. Could be a very good backup.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#14 » by Saberestar » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:40 pm

I am all for drafting him with our #13 pick (via Washington). This guy is gonna be really fun to watch.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#15 » by Coeur » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:45 am

Saberestar wrote:I am all for drafting him with our #13 pick (via Washington). This guy is gonna be really fun to watch.

That would definitely be awesome. I'd love to see "your team" draft Ulis. It's not just you Though, I'd love to see any of "your teams" pick him. Esp as a 1st round pick. Esp for your version of taking him with a lottery pick.

For "your team" Tyler Ulis is a great idea for using an NBA draft pick. For my teams? Let's keep this a "Tyler Ulis is awesome" thread
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#16 » by RationalGaze » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Coeur wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I am all for drafting him with our #13 pick (via Washington). This guy is gonna be really fun to watch.

That would definitely be awesome. I'd love to see "your team" draft Ulis. It's not just you Though, I'd love to see any of "your teams" pick him. Esp as a 1st round pick. Esp for your version of taking him with a lottery pick.

For "your team" Tyler Ulis is a great idea for using an NBA draft pick. For my teams? Let's keep this a "Tyler Ulis is awesome" thread

Who are the teams you root for then?
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#17 » by Coeur » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:52 pm

RationalGaze wrote:
Coeur wrote:

Who are the teams you root for then?
cant do it. Saw your response on the other thread. Where you say Ulis is the top pg in the draft and a guy worthy of a top 6-10 pick

Nugs, Knicks, jazz hopefully stay away. Any of the rest of the teams should take him.

There are guys projected to go undrafted that are better than Tyler Ulis. Josh Adams is one
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#18 » by TheGoodDoctor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 pm

saintEscaton wrote:Kay Felder is a better value pick in the second round

This.

He is massively slept on imo. He can not only flat out score but actually is a fairly good passer as well. In the 2nd round where most guys are complete write offs he may be Isaiah Thomas like player except he has a body type and explosiveness of Bledsoe. Not saying he reaches that level but in the 2nd round I roll the dice on him all day.

But OT, I think Ulis is to a degree as well because he has great feel for the game that you can't teach. I think he should at least be a serviceable back up.
RationalGaze
Junior

Post#19 » by RationalGaze » Wed May 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Ulis measuring in at 5'8.75" without shoes
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#20 » by No-Man » Wed May 11, 2016 10:09 pm

He is 5'10 in shoes, I think he looked taller than 5'9 this year, he also has a solid wingspan, he does look long in the court

Return to NBA Draft