NFL draft thread

Moderator: JDR720

TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

NFL draft thread 

Post#21 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 am

JDR720 wrote:Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 2m2 minutes ago
"We just felt the value was too good. We had a bunch of teams calling us, but the value was too good."

Max Henson ‏@PanthersMax 2m2 minutes ago
Gettleman: "We're really kind of shocked (Butler) was there. Reminds me of my first draft when Star fell."

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 1m1 minute ago
When you roll guys in and out like we can, it makes for a long day at the office for the offensive linemen. -Gettleman

I agree with the last tweet but if the qb does get the pass away people will be running wild in the secondary. Maybe we can get a db somewhere in the next few rounds.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Re: NFL draft thread 

Post#22 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:58 am

JDR720 wrote:Joe Person ‏@josephperson 42m42 minutes ago
Asked Gettleman if they'll draft a corner this weekend. "Yeah I, think so."
More than one? (he laughed)

I just saw this after my other post. I wish we could get Alexander but maybe there is concern over his size?

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Post#23 » by JDR720 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:59 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/726115145550729217[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/726123310690480129[/tweet]
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#24 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:43 am

G-Man really loves reaching.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/726222749543350272[/tweet]

here is his profile
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/james-bradberry?id=2555175
Overview

Bradberry signed with Arkansas State out of high school, but since the team desired him to move to safety during his redshirt year there, he decided to transfer to Samford to play outside. He's been a four-year starter for the Bulldogs, and was named second-team All-Southern Conference as a junior (two interceptions, four pass breakups) and the first team in 2015 (two interceptions, 11 breakups). Will he stay at cornerback in the NFL, or will teams ask him to switch to safety?

Pro Day Results
Broad jump: 11 feet
Analysis
Strengths Well built with the size that defensive coordinators look for from NFL cornerbacks. Plays with adequate lateral quickness and reactive athleticism when transitioning forward. Drives hard to the throw looking to make a play on the ball at the catch point. Long arms with ability to aggressively jam and redirect receivers off the snap. Uses length and size to trap receivers against the sideline from press. Plus ball tracking ability on downfield throws. Looks comfortable in zone coverage with feel for routes that are developing around him. Rarely out of position as run supporter. Will use sideline as his ally against run and is diligent with containment on the perimeter.
Weaknesses Base and balance need quite a bit of work from press coverage. Below average, clunky footwork transitioning from press into coverage. Looks unsure of himself against receivers with initial quickness off the snap. Has issues maintaining feel against inside release and gives up too much separation to start the rep. Gets turned too easily in coverage and is sluggish in his change of direction. Gets too locked in on man in front of him and doesn't show innate awareness and instincts. Might not be able to transition to safety. Appears lacking in alpha aggressiveness. In run support, ducks head into contact and doesn't drive through the target. Need to see more hustle and less complacency from him on backside. Waits too long to rally to the ball when it is away from him.
Draft Projection Rounds 3 or 4
Sources Tell Us "I'm hearing his name come up quite a bit on the road. Anytime a corner looks the part physically, he's going to get plenty of attention because those guys are still fairly rare in our league. Can he play? Senior Bowl will be big for him." -- AFC area scout
Bottom Line Long, well-built cornerback who plays with enough ball skills to interest teams. On tape, Bradberry shows consistent issues with his footwork from press coverage and gives up too much separation to quick receivers early in routes. A step up in competition may be challenging for him early on and despite his size, his best spot may be as a zone corner.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#25 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:47 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/726226172019879937[/tweet]
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#26 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:20 am

traded up in the 3rd to pick another CB, Daryl Worley from West Virginia.

here is his profile
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/daryl-worley?id=2555394

This Philadelphia native finished his career on a strong note, giving him the confidence to enter the NFL draft as a true junior. He garnered first-team All-Big 12 honors after finishing among the nation's leaders with six interceptions and 12 pass breakups. He also made 49 tackles and forced two fumbles on the year, even though he didn't play in the Cactus Bowl with the team due to academic issues. Worley had led the team the previous year with three interceptions (also with 52 tackles, 4.5 for loss, four breakups), but faced trouble during the season. He was accused of assaulting a woman outside a nightclub in September, eventually pled no contest and received a six-month suspended sentence for his actions, which he said were in defense of his girlfriend. Worley missed two games due to a suspension. As a true freshman, Worley made his presence known on defense and special teams, starting five games, making 45 tackles, intercepting one pass, and breaking up five others.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.54 seconds
Analysis
Strengths Has height and arm length that every secondary coach loves. Instinctive and willing to operate outside of his zone. Won't lose the 50/50 battle very often. Sits down on receivers when ball is in the air and uses well-timed leap and outstanding hands to break it up or take it away. Credited with 12 pass breakups and six interceptions last season. Stellar reactive quickness with hands to pluck interceptions after undercutting routes. Redirects receivers with aggressive shoves. Decent finisher as tackler.
Weaknesses Doesn't have the loose hips or fluid feet to mirror and match in man coverage. The more layered the route, the more separation allowed. Passive in bail coverage allowing significant throwing run underneath. At times becomes pre­occupied with the vertical chase and fails to find deep ball headed his way. Would like to see more aggression from him play after play. Sits and waits in run support. Doesn't use size to overpower blockers and get into running backs early.
Draft Projection Rounds 5 or 6
NFL Comparison Tray Walker
Bottom Line Worley has excellent ball skills, but lacks the agility and hips to maintain his feel for receivers underneath. A move to a defense that employs more press and trail technique should benefit him and teams looking for range and instincts could try him at free safety. Worley's traits make him worthy of a Day 3 draft selection, but his success may be tied to his scheme fit.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#27 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:24 am

So we reached on back to back picks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#28 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:19 pm

and guess what another CB!!!

his profile
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/zack-sanchez?id=2555548

Overview

A two-time first-team All-Big 12 pick from Fort Worth, Texas, Sanchez has been a stalwart for the Sooners since taking the starting job as a redshirt freshman in 2013. He started 37 games over the past three years, missing two games this fall with a right leg injury. His slight frame worries scouts, and some questioned Sanchez's decision to leave early for the NFL, but there's no doubting his ability to play the ball (15 interceptions, 28 pass break-ups over the past three seasons). Sanchez received 2015 second team All-American notice from multiple outlets, as he not only picked off seven passes, but had 45 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and seven pass breakups.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.5 and 4.48 seconds
Broad jump: 9 feet, 7 inches
Analysis
Strengths Three-year starter. Outstanding ball production has been his calling card. Grabbed 15 interceptions during three-year career. Always looking to take the ball reading the quarterback's eyes and taking sharp angles on the throw. Has the hands and athleticism to make difficult interceptions. Great spatial feel in zone shifting from receiver to receiver and squeezing throwing windows. Mirror and match footwork combined with route recognition from man-­off gives him playmaking opportunities. Carries long speed to challenge vertical targets.
Weaknesses Short and rail thin for an outside cornerback. Inconsistent tackler due to size. May not have enough sand to hold up against physical receivers. Reckless habit of diving head first on slant looks only to be burned by "sluggo" (slant and go) routes. Doesn't play as fast as his forty time. Allowed 12 touchdowns over last three years and that number should have been higher (drops/overthrows). Can be turned around by clever routes. Average closing burst out of backpedal.
Draft Projection Round 5
Sources Tell Us "He is fast and talented. I'm always partial to guys who make plays on the ball so I like him. I don't think he's tough enough to tackle so he is probably just a true nickel cornerback who you have to play outside so teams can't run it at him in the slot." -- NFC director of scouting
NFL Comparison Patrick Robinson
Bottom Line Experienced cornerback who has cover experience against current and future NFL receivers. Sanchez is a feast or famine cover man whose instincts run him into interceptions but also into aggressive mistakes that can cost his own team. His lack of size will work against him on draft day, but his ball production will be heavily weighed by teams looking for coverage help from a third cornerback.

one more pick. im gonna say it wont be a CB
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#29 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:26 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/726519343484428288[/tweet]
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#30 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Sanchez was my favorite pick. I saw him play four or five times in the last two CFB seasons. He has Swag.

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#31 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 pm

and our last pick is.....Montana State TE Beau Sandland.

here is his stuff
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/beau-sandland?id=2555487

Overview

This California native didn't get much play as a high school recruit, so he stayed in-state to play at two-year Pierce College. By the time he was wrapping up an all-conference season at Pierce (24-267, three TD), schools from all over the country were interested in his services. He chose to fly across the country to Miami, Florida, to follow in the footsteps of many top-rated tight ends. But after one season (9-94 receiving in 13 games), Sandland decided he would rather attend a school closer to his home environment. He sat out the 2014 season transferring to FCS program Montana State. With a year in the offense under his belt, Sandland's game took off in 2015, as he earned All-American honors from the Associated Press and first-team All-Big Sky notice with 37 catches for 632 yards and nine scores. Even with just one good season at the junior college level and another for a FCS team, NFL scouts are intrigued enough with his skill set to make sure he was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine.
Analysis
Strengths Athletic frame with good mass and room for more. Exceptional arm length and hand size for the position. Capable seam worker. Long strides in vertical routes can overtake squatting safeties. Able to separate out of breaks. Competitive, able runner after catch. Run blocking was a requirement. Has lateral footwork to become workable in­line blocker for zone runs and has the experience and hand strength to get early block security.
Weaknesses Slow to make route adjustments against contact. Relies on size and athleticism over crisp routes to overcome lesser competition. Inconsistent as run blocker. Base narrows causing lack of balance to sustain. Still learning to take proper angles up to the second level in run game. Played JUCO ball and then sparingly at Miami (Fla.) before transferring in 2014. Limited experience against high-­end athletes.
Draft Projection Rounds 5 or 6
NFL Comparison Vance McDonald
Bottom Line Sandland was the top-­rated JUCO tight end when he signed with Miami (Fla.) so NFL teams are very aware of his potential. While he is thought of as a pass-­catching tight end, Sandland was required to put in work in the trenches which gives him a small head­ start on some of the tight ends coming out. With an ability to challenge down the field and separate underneath, Sandland has a chance to work his way onto a roster and into some snaps by his second season.
Related Links
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#32 » by JDR720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:43 pm

final draft.
1(30) Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
2(31) James Bradberry CB Samford
3(14) Daryl Worley CB West Virginia
5(2) Zack Sanchez CB Oklahoma
7(31) Beau Sandland TE Montana State
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,503

Post#33 » by HornetJail » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 pm

JDR720 wrote:final draft.
1(30) Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
2(31) James Bradberry CB Samford
3(14) Daryl Worley CB West Virginia
5(2) Zack Sanchez CB Oklahoma
7(31) Beau Sandland TE Montana State

I don't know any of these guys. Did we have a good draft? Weird we took so many cornerbacks... are we just going to play that position by committee?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#34 » by JDR720 » Sun May 1, 2016 12:03 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SteveReedAP/status/726559727308689408[/tweet]

its too early to tell. butler should make our D-Line stupid good and at least one of those CB's should work out. gettleman also said we might sign a vet.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#35 » by JDR720 » Sun May 1, 2016 12:17 am

undrafted guys too
Panthers undrafted free agent signings so far: Andrew Bonnet, FB/TE, North Dakota State Jake McGee, TE, Florida Jared Norris, LB, Utah Jenson Stoshak, WR, Florida Atlantic Devon Johnson, RB, Marshall Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa

McGee,Norris, Johnson and Garrett have pretty decent grades on NFL.com. all were projected to be drafted, so a couple will probably make the team. guess is Johnson and Garrett.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

NFL draft thread 

Post#36 » by TheKingofSting » Sun May 1, 2016 4:11 am

We signed the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as an UDFA. He had a second round grade. His name is Jeremy Cash and he plays safety. My view just changed to we had a positive draft.

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#37 » by JDR720 » Sun May 1, 2016 6:49 am

TheKingofSting wrote:We signed the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as an UDFA. He had a second round grade. His name is Jeremy Cash and he plays safety. My view just changed to we had a positive draft.

yep, i just saw this.

he is probably better than all 3 of the CB's we took lol

his profile
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jeremy-cash?id=2555385
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#38 » by BeesWax » Wed May 11, 2016 2:48 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:We signed the ACC Defensive Player of the Year as an UDFA. He had a second round grade. His name is Jeremy Cash and he plays safety. My view just changed to we had a positive draft.

It does not change my opinion on the draft but I am glad we got lucky in UDFA with him and the WR. I still think we had a bad draft after round 1 but luck may salvage the process since these guys fell out and then chose us.
Spoiler:

Return to Carolina Panthers