ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#401 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 4, 2016 2:47 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:I was already on board with the Brooks hire before it happened. He's won me over even more since. I think I can see why his players respond well to him, why they seem to love playing for him. He truly cares about them. And he keeps an open mind and doesn't seem to have an ego at all. And the job isn't too big for him. I think he's better about focusing on a long term vision than Randy was, and I don't think he's going to have the same kind of baggage about Nene and playing favorites in the locker room that undercut Randy's credibility.

He's getting a better deal than Randy did too. The roster is so much further along than it was in 2012. Wall is an All Star. Beal and Porter are going into years four and five, they're ready for as big a role as you can give them. He's got Morris at PF, and while he's not as good as Nene was, his health is a lot more reliable. And while he is a combustible personality, it's not like Nene wasn't difficult. And he's also going to get the tail end of Gortat's prime years to start out with.

His contract also gives him a lot more security than Randy ever got.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for a two or three seed like I did last season, but I think this year could be a pleasant surprise for once. If ever there was a chance for us to finally crack 50 wins, I think it's now.

I like your thoughts about Brooks. I'm on board with this hire. Brooks only lost at OKC when Durant and or Westbrook were injured; and when SA Spurs were on a revenge war path.

I don't agree with the roster being further along. Beal's injuries, Wall's slight regression, Morris having been a problem before and not seeming to be better than Hickson IMO--plus his off-court rep; and the lack of bodies all have me thinking the roster isn't any more talented than what just finished 10th in the east.

We'll just have to see how things shake out, but I like what I'm learning about Scotty Brooks. Like you, I support this hire.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#402 » by payitforward » Wed May 4, 2016 3:41 pm

Love your optimism, stevemcqueen....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#403 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed May 4, 2016 4:30 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I like your thoughts about Brooks. I'm on board with this hire. Brooks only lost at OKC when Durant and or Westbrook were injured; and when SA Spurs were on a revenge war path.

I don't agree with the roster being further along. Beal's injuries, Wall's slight regression, Morris having been a problem before and not seeming to be better than Hickson IMO--plus his off-court rep; and the lack of bodies all have me thinking the roster isn't any more talented than what just finished 10th in the east.

We'll just have to see how things shake out, but I like what I'm learning about Scotty Brooks. Like you, I support this hire.

I meant that it was a lot further along than it was in 2012, when Randy was hired. Scott isn't going to have to start from scratch, which is basically what Randy did. Scott's starting five is basically set, with an established All Star at PG, and quality starters in the other four spots. In 2012, Randy really only had Nene and Wall as surefire starters. Beal was a rookie, and Ariza and Okafor were trying to revive their careers. I remember we were wondering why Webster wasn't starting over Ariza going into that season, that's how low the regard for Ariza had become after his failed stints in Houston and New Orleans.

Scott is coming into a pretty nice situation for a new hire, and I think he has a chance for a fast start if he clicks with the roster.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#404 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed May 4, 2016 4:31 pm

payitforward wrote:Love your optimism, stevemcqueen....

My belief in the players is where the optimism comes from. I still believe in the Wall/Beal/Porter construction.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#405 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 4, 2016 6:06 pm

Obama called for a job interview but EG didn't bite.

“Is this the Washington Wizards?” Obama says. “I understand you’re looking for some coaching help. Let’s just say I coached my daughter’s team a few times. … Hello. Hello?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/05/02/did-scott-brooks-beat-out-president-obama-for-wizards-coaching-gig/
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#406 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 4, 2016 11:53 pm

Yo I would give Obama EG's job in a heart beat! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! and I'm a republican!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#407 » by payitforward » Thu May 5, 2016 12:17 am

gambitx777 wrote:Yo I would give Obama EG's job in a heart beat! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! and I'm a republican!

Yeah, but would you give Trump EG's job?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#408 » by payitforward » Thu May 5, 2016 12:22 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I like your thoughts about Brooks. I'm on board with this hire. Brooks only lost at OKC when Durant and or Westbrook were injured; and when SA Spurs were on a revenge war path.

I meant that it was a lot further along than it was in 2012, when Randy was hired. Scott isn't going to have to start from scratch, which is basically what Randy did. Scott's starting five is basically set, with an established All Star at PG, and quality starters in the other four spots. In 2012, Randy really only had Nene and Wall as surefire starters. Beal was a rookie, and Ariza and Okafor were trying to revive their careers. I remember we were wondering why Webster wasn't starting over Ariza going into that season, that's how low the regard for Ariza had become after his failed stints in Houston and New Orleans.

Scott is coming into a pretty nice situation for a new hire, and I think he has a chance for a fast start if he clicks with the roster.

It's beyond me how anyone can think something like that, really.

We don't have a roster. We have 6 guys from a team that went 41-41.

We do have three quality starters, but Beal is a major question mark, and Morris is a well below-average journeyman. He played 700+ minutes for us and put up numbers that were just awful.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#409 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 5, 2016 2:47 am

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Yo I would give Obama EG's job in a heart beat! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! and I'm a republican!

No, because trump does not have that much better of a track record with making good decisions than EG does. I feel like Obama at least makes cool calm rational and informed choices and he genuinely loves sports.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#410 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu May 5, 2016 3:04 am

payitforward wrote:It's beyond me how anyone can think something like that, really.

We do have three quality starters, but Beal is a major question mark, and Morris is a well below-average journeyman. He played 700+ minutes for us and put up numbers that were just awful.

We have all five of our starting positions set. Max cap space to find four or five rotation-worthy back ups. Two of which could be had by retaining Sessions and Dudley.

We disagree about Beal and Keef. Managing Beal's health is the only challenge with him, if we keep his minutes down and prevent the stress injury from recurring, then he should be very productive. Keef is a quality starting PF. His production was fine, especially for someone settling in midseason.

Wall is also much more than a quality starter. He's one of the best players at his position.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#411 » by Dark Faze » Thu May 5, 2016 3:09 am

i really think guys are just looking really hard at the record

when you look at the records put up in the east and some of the names associated with those teams--come on. I don't think we have the talent to make the finals or anything right now but people are acting like every squad in the east are the cavs
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#412 » by DCZards » Thu May 5, 2016 4:09 am

Dark Faze wrote:i really think guys are just looking really hard at the record

when you look at the records put up in the east and some of the names associated with those teams--come on. I don't think we have the talent to make the finals or anything right now but people are acting like every squad in the east are the cavs

It's that glass half-empty mindset that often dominates this board.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#413 » by nate33 » Fri May 6, 2016 1:24 am

Indy fired Frank Vogel. I'd MUCH rather have him than Brooks. Vogel can coach! I think he's one of the 10 best coaches in the league. I can't believe how well he has performed with so little talent.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#414 » by keynote » Fri May 6, 2016 2:01 am

nate33 wrote:Indy fired Frank Vogel. I'd MUCH rather have him than Brooks. Vogel can coach! I think he's one of the 10 best coaches in the league. I can't believe how well he has performed with so little talent.

Wittman's (allegedly) a candidate. Makes sense -- he's a local boy. I hope he gets the job, if only to test out how much better or worse a journeyman like Wittman fares than a highly-regarded coach when given (mostly) the same squad.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#415 » by payitforward » Fri May 6, 2016 2:35 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
payitforward wrote:It's beyond me how anyone can think something like that, really.

We have all five of our starting positions set. Max cap space to find four or five rotation-worthy back ups. Two of which could be had by retaining Sessions and Dudley.

We disagree about Beal and Keef. Managing Beal's health is the only challenge with him, if we keep his minutes down and prevent the stress injury from recurring, then he should be very productive. Keef is a quality starting PF. His production was fine, especially for someone settling in midseason.

Wall is also much more than a quality starter. He's one of the best players at his position.

We don't have "max cap space" -- what would make you think that? And, with the cap rising, guys like Dudley and Sessions will cost more. Especially Sessions who is looking for a chance to start somewhere. Moreover, what would make you think we can simply "retain" those guys.

We don't "disagree" about Beal and Morris. Beal has been injured every season, and he has produced at about an average level when on the court. That's not opinion, that's fact -- the production and the injuries. Nor is Markieff Morris's level of play a matter of opinion. It's right there in what he actually does. If you think his production was fine, then you think it's ok for a PF to get 8 boards every 40 minutes. He's done that in every season -- not just with us. Ditto that it's fine for a PF to have a low TS% -- which he's also done everywhere.

He's done those things because that's the player he is. You're right that Wall is one of the best players at his position -- lets say one of the 10 best just to be conservative. And what makes that true is the same thing that makes the opposite true of Markieff Morris: numbers.

Finally, your notions take a team that just went 41-41 and somehow think that's great.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#416 » by payitforward » Fri May 6, 2016 2:45 am

DCZards wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:i really think guys are just looking really hard at the record

It's that glass half-empty mindset that often dominates this board.

I know you think that, Zards, and it's your right to. But, I really don't agree. I've been a fan of other teams. I don't see the glass as half full as a matter of principle.

In fact, the problem we have is that the glass isn't even close to half full. We have 5 players that we know will be here, and Beal who will only be here if we pay him max or near max - betting that some day he'll be worth that (in productivity and time on the court). I hope he will. I was for picking him. And maybe that will happen. But, surely it's obvious that it ain't a sure thing!

To me at least, those are just facts. If I say we don't even have half a roster, that's not being negative, it's just a fact. Ditto that we don't have a R1 pick this year or an R2 pick either this year or the following one. And that this situation is what we've achieved after 6 years of rebuilding! And we've traded away some of our assets for the future as well.

We just hired a guy who could turn out to be a terrific coach for us; I hope he does.

But if there are boulders in your path, it's not negative to point them out. It's realistic. And if you've put them in your own path -- it might be a good idea to take note of that too.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#417 » by Hypnotizer » Fri May 6, 2016 3:10 pm

nate33 wrote:Indy fired Frank Vogel. I'd MUCH rather have him than Brooks. Vogel can coach! I think he's one of the 10 best coaches in the league. I can't believe how well he has performed with so little talent.

Don't you like Coach of the Year?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#418 » by tontoz » Fri May 6, 2016 4:49 pm

payitforward wrote:

Yes. I would give Gman EG's job. I would give one of the cheerleaders EGs job.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#419 » by gambitx777 » Fri May 6, 2016 4:54 pm

I would let Fetty Wap run the team over EG ! Drake/ anna Kendrick/ payton manning/ john cena / vince mcmahon / john mayer / stan lee / drake bell / gary johnson / courtney cox / dane cook / are all on the list of people I would give the team to over EG.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#420 » by tontoz » Fri May 6, 2016 5:48 pm

We haven't had a 50 win season since the 70s. We can only dream about having a cup that is half full.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards