ImageImageImageImageImage

2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#1 » by NinerSickness » Sun May 1, 2016 4:58 am

Could a mod' unsticky the old one and sticky this one? Thanks. I just moved my early 2017-draft talk to this thread:

NinerSickness wrote:Might as well talk 2017 draft too because this is going to be a throw-away, rebuilding year...

Besides the obvious (Myles Garrett), who's on your wish list for next offseason?

Charles Harris from MizzU looks more impressive than Joey Bosa as a LB prospect IMO. Super quick of the snap, great work ethic, strong, extremely fast for his size, great repertoire of pass-rush moves. And the Niners can't go wrong with a MizzU tiger (should've taken EJ Gaines :( )

Wanted Tre'Davious White in this draft, but he went back to school. If the Josh-Norman rumours are true, that could take him off the radar (hope not though; you take a great player regardless of who else is there IMO).

Jonathan Allen is going to be a stud IMO. Love his attitude.

I_am_1z wrote:Tyler Rogers, NMSU, QB
Christian Campbell, PSU, CB

Jikkle wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:Who is our GM next year?

Who is the Tomsula of GMs? That guy will be IMO.

If Baalke is gone next season it's almost a certainty that Gamble would slide into that GM role.

clyde21 wrote:You took three of my favorite players alread, Sick. Garrett, Harris and White. White is gonna be on the older side now, though. Wasn't a fan of him returning, but I'm a huge fan. 2nd/3rd round target. Charles Harris is a better prospect than what Shane Ray was, IMO. Stronger at the PoA, with outstanding potential as a pass-rusher. Underdeveloped lower body but he's still young. Myles Garrett is a stud - best player in the draft at this point.

Not a whole lotta QB prospects in college football right now, IMO. Big reason as to why I wanted to trade up for Goff. Right now the most intriguing guy for me is Luke Falk. Absolutely love his fit with Chip, but that offense he's in disguises a lot of mental limitations.

Still early but here are some of my targets:

QB: Luke Falk
OL: Mike McGlinchey, Pat Elflein
TE: O.J. Howard
WR: Evan Engram, JuJu Smith, Jehu Chesson
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Jalen Hurd (Fournette/Cook/Chubb too high)

Pass-rush: Myles Garrett, Charles Harris, Derek Barnett
LB: Reuben Foster, Kendall Beckwith, Tim Williams
CB: Jalen Tabor, Tre White, Cordrea Tankersley, Cameron Sutton
S: Eddie Jackson, Budda Baker, Marcus Williams

All depending on draft range and how they progress into next season.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#2 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 1, 2016 1:20 pm

You guys have already listed them. Here's a few that I like as well:

Malachi Dupre (a faster Allen Robinson).

Adoree' Jackson (in the second round).

Cam Robinson anywhere in the first round.

Christian McCaffrey (Electric in Skip's offense).

Marquis Haynes (I'd experience with him as an ILB).

TE class is loaded:
O.J. Howard
Bucky Hodges
Jake Butt
Mark Andrews
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#3 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 2, 2016 10:47 pm

I like him as a college player but I don't think he's anywhere closed to being a legitimate starting QB in the league. I would be heated if we were to draft him in that scenario instead of Myles:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/02/nfl-mock-draft-2017-top-prospects
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Tue May 3, 2016 12:15 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I like him as a college player but I don't think he's anywhere closed to being a legitimate starting QB in the league. I would be heated if we were to draft him in that scenario instead of Myles:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO6ZscXYfpI[/youtube]

Clearly was the BEST QB last year until his thumb injury. Considered Cook a top 10 prospect, consider Rogers all by himself, alone at ONE.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#5 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 3, 2016 1:25 am

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I like him as a college player but I don't think he's anywhere closed to being a legitimate starting QB in the league. I would be heated if we were to draft him in that scenario instead of Myles:

Clearly was the BEST QB last year until his thumb injury. Considered Cook a top 10 prospect, consider Rogers all by himself, alone at ONE.

Based on what I saw he's not much better than Jeff Driskel. I don't want Deshawn Watson, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Watson without hesitation.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#6 » by I_am_1z » Tue May 3, 2016 1:42 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Based on what I saw he's not much better than Jeff Driskel. I don't want Deshawn Watson, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with Watson without hesitation.

HERETIC

Per usual a player has to be on a sports news draft board before the buffs being seeing anything. Rogers is throwing Dilfer Dimes on 90% of those passes many of them dropped, he's also under duress all game, but has a good amount of athleticism to counter it, yet not much better than Driskel—OKAY.

The 2016 CFB season has officially begun.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Wed May 4, 2016 1:49 am

While I like the '17 draft a whole lot more than '16, the QB class is disgustingly bad. I don't see a single senior QB that's even draftable anywhere in the first two days at this point.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#8 » by CalamityX12 » Wed May 4, 2016 2:00 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Could a mod' unsticky the old one and sticky this one? Thanks.

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#9 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 7, 2016 4:00 pm

Deshaun Watson - QB - Tigers

Clemson junior QB Deshaun Watson went No. 1 to the Browns in Josh Norris' first 2017 NFL mock draft.

"I don’t think Watson is the complete prospect many currently make him out to be, be the upward trajectory is certainly there," he wrote. Watson is the heavy early favorite to go No. 1, but it's our duty to report that the 2017 process hasn't even kicked off yet. Last year at this time, Connor Cook and Christian Hackenberg were two of the frontrunners to go No. 1 overall.
Source: Rotoworld

May 7 - 11:47 AM
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 9, 2016 12:07 am

I don't like this 2017 QB class. :( The Niners had a chance to get at least a decent QB in '05 & '06 (Aaron Rodgers & Cutler), but they haven't had many opportunities since then (except Wilson, but everyone passed on him twice).

Luke Faulk looks like he might be an OK QB. Have to see more of the dude from OK State (Mason something?). But I really don't like Watson nor the dude from Miami. Especially the dude from Miami; do not want.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 9, 2016 12:15 am

Unlike the QB class, I love the pass-rusher class next offseason.

Haven't talked much about Carl Lawson, but he might be right behind Garrett & Harris. Dude's really quick off the snap and plays nice & low. Very agile too. Wasn't as strong as I'd like to see in a pass-rusher, but the dude was like 19 last year. He should get stronger. How much stronger? If he gets significantly stronger, he should be a really high pick.

I'm sure Baalke won't draft him unless his arms grow 2 inches and he tears his ACL, but he's still a nice prospect.

Gotta love Tim Williams too. Hard to tell with those 'bama front-7 guys because there are so many good ones, the great ones make the others look better. But Williams is EXTREMELY quick off the snap w/ great pass-rush moves. Could be a good one.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 9, 2016 12:21 am

Jalen Reeves-Maybin from Tennessee is an interesting prospect. A little short and small for an ILB (6'0, 225 - 230). But he's really quick to fill gaps. Shows that he has instincts for the position, which some players never develop.

Fundamentally sound tackler too.

Haven't noticed him in coverage all that much. I'll have to watch out for him covering TEs...
Mem49er
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Re: Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#13 » by Mem49er » Mon May 9, 2016 12:05 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Unlike the QB class, I love the pass-rusher class next offseason.

Haven't talked much about Carl Lawson, but he might be right behind Garrett & Harris. Dude's really quick off the snap and plays nice & low. Very agile too. Wasn't as strong as I'd like to see in a pass-rusher, but the dude was like 19 last year. He should get stronger. How much stronger? If he gets significantly stronger, he should be a really high pick.

I'm sure Baalke won't draft him unless his arms grow 2 inches and he tears his ACL, but he's still a nice prospect.

Gotta love Tim Williams too. Hard to tell with those 'bama front-7 guys because there are so many good ones, the great ones make the others look better. But Williams is EXTREMELY quick off the snap w/ great pass-rush moves. Could be a good one.

No love for Derek Barnett? He gets tackled on half the passing snaps.
Giggity, giggity!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#14 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 9, 2016 5:20 pm

This is the only analyst that has gotten it right so far. No way do I see Kaya going on the top 10.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/62478/344/2017-nfl-mock-draft
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Mon May 9, 2016 5:42 pm

Myles Garrett would be too good to come true....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 9, 2016 5:57 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:This is the only analyst that has gotten it right so far. No way do I see Kaya going on the top 10.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/62478/344/2017-nfl-mock-draft

Six edge guys in the top-10? If that bears out, it would be great, cause I have a feeling we'll have a need there.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Re: Re: Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#17 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 9, 2016 10:39 pm

Mem49er wrote:No love for Derek Barnett? He gets tackled on half the passing snaps.

I'm fully aware of the Derek Barnett hype, but I just haven't watched him play enough to determine whether I buy it or not. From what people say, he's a great player. I'll watch some more Vol' games & see what I think...
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#18 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 9, 2016 11:28 pm

Cameron Robinson - T - Crimson Tide

Rivals recruiting director Mike Farrell wrote that had Alabama junior LT Cam Robinson been part of the 2016 draft class, he would have been taken ahead of Notre Dame T Ronnie Stanley.

That is quite the lofty hypothetical given that Stanley was drafted by the Ravens at No. 6. "[Robinson] gets criticized a lot for struggling at times with speed edge rushers or over-setting, but it’s all nit-picking," Farrell wrote. A member of the 2014 recruiting class, Robinson ranked as Rivals' No. 1 tackle for that cycle and Farrell has not budged off of his view of the 6-foot-6, 323-pounder as a potential top-5 draft selection. During Alabama's title run last season, Robinson allowed just 1.5 sacks.
Source: Rivals

May 9 - 6:37 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#19 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 9, 2016 11:30 pm

Saquon Barkley - RB - Nittany Lions

Penn State OC Joe Moorhead said that sophomore RB Saquon Barkley "does some things that are freakishly athletic that the great ones do."

Moorhead is new to the Nittany Lions and in order to get a better feel for the offensive talent he has on hand, he went back and watched tape of every 2015 contest. Not too surprisingly, Barkley immediately jumped out on film. "The last thing you anticipate is a guy leaping over a defender like a tall building in a single bound, and that's what occurred," Moorhead said. "The first time I saw it on tape it caught me by surprise." HC James Franklin is of a like opinion, saying, "I've been doing this for 22 years. I don't know if I've seen someone like Saquon -- and not just physically. He has handled all of this attention really well, better than I would have imagined." Last season, the 5-foot-11, 222-pounder rushed for 1,076 yards (5.9 YPC) and seven touchdowns. He also caught 20 passes for 161 yards and a score. That he did all of this playing in a disjointed (to put it kindly) offense makes those statistical feats all the more impressive. At the end of th
Source: CBS Sports

May 9 - 4:35 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#20 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 9, 2016 11:33 pm

Leonard Fournette - RB - Tigers

Rivals recruiting director Mike Farrell wrote that "if Ezekiel Elliott is a top five draft pick, then [LSU junior RB Fournette] should be able to land near there as well."

Farrell referred to Fournette as "an amazing talent," which sounds about right. The hole in his logic when it comes to projecting a 2017 draft slot for the Tiger great is that a large part of why Elliott was drafted at No. 4 is that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fell in love with the Buckeye stud. That's not to say that Fournette has no shot at a top-5 selection in next year's draft (assuming he declares), but more to say that we can't just use Elliott as an example as though it was conventional wisdom to take a running back that high.
Source: Rivals

May 9 - 3:27 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers