Furkan Korkmaz

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Furkan Korkmaz 

Post#1 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 4, 2016 5:48 am

This kid has caught my attention a bit with his shooting stroke, court vision and age. What can you tell me about him? Is he coming over immediately? Can he defend? What's a good comparison?
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Re: Furkan Korkmaz 

Post#2 » by freestyler34 » Wed May 4, 2016 6:14 am

Good shooter,nice athleticism and length, needs to work on his defence and ball handling, due to his shooting touch,lenght and athleticism i think he got lots of potential.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#3 » by Coeur » Wed May 4, 2016 10:10 am

I just like his first name and the idea of a shooter.

This group is for the scouts. (Internet sites don't count because they are listening to someone who won't tell them the real truth)

Can't wait to see this group sorted out
Luwawu
Jaylen brown
Fuurrrkan
Cordinier

They're closer to the Jamal Murray and the Nigel Hayes groups. Stars and busts at the 2 this year
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,226

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 4, 2016 12:08 pm

I like his game, but I dont think hes ready at all. He is good draft and stash player, if he comes immediately, he would have to spend so time in D league IMO.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#5 » by MrTwister » Wed May 4, 2016 12:51 pm

I think SVG would like Furkan, he is from what i heard hardworking and humble kid but as UcanUwill said, he will need some time to develop and play in D-league.While shooting will be his calling card he is underrated cutter, some backdoor and baseline cuts are part of Stan's offense.His body needs work and NBA is probably best place to work on that.Not sure how much time he will get in Efes as stash option, he would most likely regress or play limited minutes behind some vets they bring for next season Euroleague, not really much room for development in that case.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#6 » by Mirotic12 » Thu May 5, 2016 12:10 am

UcanUwill wrote:I like his game, but I dont think hes ready at all. He is good draft and stash player, if he comes immediately, he would have to spend so time in D league IMO.

I think it would be a mistake for him to leave from a Euroleague team to maybe end up spending time in the D-League. Whether he gets drafted in the first round or not, he needs a lot of development on his body, and a lot of improvement on his defense. And he needs to develop physically to where he can defend small forwards.

He also needs to improve his decision making, because he makes a ton of stupid plays and mistakes. These are the reasons he barely plays in Efes, and it's something that shows he needs to take his time and develop more.
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Post#7 » by freestyler34 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I like his game, but I dont think hes ready at all. He is good draft and stash player, if he comes immediately, he would have to spend so time in D league IMO.

I think it would be a mistake for him to leave from a Euroleague team to maybe end up spending time in the D-League. Whether he gets drafted in the first round or not, he needs a lot of development on his body, and a lot of improvement on his defense. And he needs to develop physically to where he can defend small forwards.

He also needs to improve his decision making, because he makes a ton of stupid plays and mistakes. These are the reasons he barely plays in Efes, and it's something that shows he needs to take his time and develop more.

Its harder for young European talents to get a role on their team,especially if its a Euroleague team with high budget and goals,on the other hand its not the same in the NBA, if he gets drafted by a lottery team he will get plenty of playing time, lottery teams plays their youngsters because its their goal to develop younsters so its better for him to go NBA asap since he cant get much minutes in Efes.

Even they wont play him in the NBA, its better for him to adjust different culture, learn language, playing style and be trained by better coaches.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#8 » by Hogified05 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 pm

I watched one of his highlight tapes and for whatever reasons I thought I was watching a younger Manu. Maybe it because he looked long and awkward but effective. I don't know if he will be as good as Manu but take from this what you will.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#9 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 11, 2016 3:17 am

Hogified05 wrote:I watched one of his highlight tapes and for whatever reasons I thought I was watching a younger Manu. Maybe it because he looked long and awkward but effective. I don't know if he will be as good as Manu but take from this what you will.

Manu was always an ace with the ball, quick and crafty with a good handle. Aside from shooting, Korkmaz has one move from the wing that isn't awful: pass the ball back to the point guard at the top of the key.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,683

Post#10 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 11, 2016 4:08 am

He plays like Marco Bellinelli to me.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 am

Based on the report today, it seems like Korkmaz might not come over this season. His buyout is $2m (teams can pay 650k of a buyout), and DX is saying he'll only come if he's a lotto pick. Otherwise the rook scale wouldn't pay enough to make the move worthwhile.

As a side note, I wonder how those buyouts work for tax purposes, might make them more palatable and cheaper than they first appear. Since it's a work necessity, a buyout's probably un-taxable/deductible--so instead of having to pay 400k of his $1.6m in taxes next year, he could pay the rest of his buyout after the team chips in ($1.4m) and then only have 200k in the end that's taxable. That would skip him down a few tax brackets, and he'd end up only paying like 60k in federal taxes. That means that, in a sense, he gets back almost 350k of that buyout (which means it's only about $1m out of his own pocket). BTW, not pretending to be an expert in this ish, just a quick thought.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 am

Well, he'd make a nice draft-n-stash --- but how far would that drop him??? Guessing he'd still go first round somewhere.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,179

Post#13 » by Notanoob » Thu May 12, 2016 12:04 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Well, he'd make a nice draft-n-stash --- but how far would that drop him??? Guessing he'd still go first round somewhere.

I think that he doesn't get past the Celtics at 16. I think that he's too highly thought of to fall much beyond that, and the Celtics need to stash a guy since they probably won't have room or minutes anyways.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:34 am

HotelVitale wrote:Based on the report today, it seems like Korkmaz might not come over this season. His buyout is $2m (teams can pay 650k of a buyout), and DX is saying he'll only come if he's a lotto pick. Otherwise the rook scale wouldn't pay enough to make the move worthwhile.

As a side note, I wonder how those buyouts work for tax purposes, might make them more palatable and cheaper than they first appear. Since it's a work necessity, a buyout's probably un-taxable/deductible--so instead of having to pay 400k of his $1.6m in taxes next year, he could pay the rest of his buyout after the team chips in ($1.4m) and then only have 200k in the end that's taxable. That would skip him down a few tax brackets, and he'd end up only paying like 60k in federal taxes. That means that, in a sense, he gets back almost 350k of that buyout (which means it's only about $1m out of his own pocket). BTW, not pretending to be an expert in this ish, just a quick thought.

Buyouts don't count towards taxes for players. It's something with the club in Turkey and the taxes the clubs pay. The clubs pay all the taxes in Europe, not the players. Even for the regular contracts. It has no correlation to US taxes, because it's not any compensation to the player. It goes directly to the club in Turkey. Besides, the taxes in Turkey are super low anyway, at 15%.

The only way a player can lessen their buyout burden from Europe is if their club agrees to take the buyout in installments, rather than in one lump sum. Some clubs do that. For instance, Barca did that with Rubio and with Navarro, but those are not typical cases, as the buyouts were immense. For example, Navarro's buyout was something like €10 million euros.

Most clubs demand the entire buyout in a full one lump sum. Tax deductions don't apply.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#15 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: As a side note, I wonder how those buyouts work for tax purposes, might make them more palatable and cheaper than they first appear. Since it's a work necessity, a buyout's probably un-taxable/deductible--so instead of having to pay 400k of his $1.6m in taxes next year, he could pay the rest of his buyout after the team chips in ($1.4m) and then only have 200k in the end that's taxable. That would skip him down a few tax brackets, and he'd end up only paying like 60k in federal taxes. That means that, in a sense, he gets back almost 350k of that buyout (which means it's only about $1m out of his own pocket). BTW, not pretending to be an expert in this ish, just a quick thought.
Buyouts don't count towards taxes for players. It's something with the club in Turkey and the taxes the clubs pay. The clubs pay all the taxes in Europe, not the players. Even for the regular contracts. It has no correlation to US taxes, because it's not any compensation to the player. It goes directly to the club in Turkey. Besides, the taxes in Turkey are super low anyway, at 13%. The only way a player can lessen their buyout burden from Europe is if their club agrees to take the buyout in installments, rather than in one lump sum. Some clubs do that. For instance, Barca did that with Rubio and with Navarro, but those are not typical cases, as the buyouts were immense. For example, Navarro's buyout was something like €10 million euros. Most clubs demand the entire buyout in a full one lump sum. Tax deductions don't apply.

Think you misunderstood, I was talking about the US income taxes he'd personally need to pay his first year or two in the NBA. Since he'd be required to pay the bulk of the buyout ($1.35m) out of pocket, he could pay it all the first year, make it a giant tax deduction, and thus pay >300k in taxes less than he'd normally have to pay. (That's complicated by the fact that his salary would actually be split between two years, I guess).

Just saying that might make his buyout a little more palatable.
Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#16 » by Stackey » Fri May 13, 2016 12:08 pm

There is a thread about him already. And as I said it there, he is so much Vlada Radmanovic. A bit shorter but with better mindset.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#17 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm

The max income tax in turkey was raised up to 35% a couple years ago.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Mirotic12 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:The max income tax in turkey was raised up to 35% a couple years ago.

It was raised to 15%.

http://www.worldwide-tax.com/turkey/turkey_tax.asp

Income Tax for an Individual in Turkey

The standard rate for payments in advance of income tax in Turkey is 15% of the net profit.

They say they want to raise it further, but it's well known that Turkey and Russia are the two biggest tax havens for all basketball and football players in Europe.

HotelVitale wrote:Think you misunderstood, I was talking about the US income taxes he'd personally need to pay his first year or two in the NBA. Since he'd be required to pay the bulk of the buyout ($1.35m) out of pocket, he could pay it all the first year, make it a giant tax deduction, and thus pay >300k in taxes less than he'd normally have to pay. (That's complicated by the fact that his salary would actually be split between two years, I guess).

Just saying that might make his buyout a little more palatable.

I'm not a tax expert, but he would be paying that money in Turkey, to a club in Turkey, and in Turkish lira. He would not be paying that money to anyone in the USA. So I'm not sure how he could deduct that from US tax dollars. Especially since he isn't an American citizen, which would mean he could count that as an overseas deduction.

It would not make sense for money being paid in Turkey, to have any effect on US taxes. Maybe if his club, Efes, was located in USA that would apply. But the club is in Turkey. I've never heard of a player from Europe being able to deduct a buyout from their European club from their US taxes.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Think you misunderstood, I was talking about the US income taxes he'd personally need to pay his first year or two in the NBA. Since he'd be required to pay the bulk of the buyout ($1.35m) out of pocket, he could pay it all the first year, make it a giant tax deduction, and thus pay >300k in taxes less than he'd normally have to pay. (That's complicated by the fact that his salary would actually be split between two years, I guess). Just saying that might make his buyout a little more palatable.
I'm not a tax expert, but he would be paying that money in Turkey, to a club in Turkey, and in Turkish lira. He would not be paying that money to anyone in the USA. So I'm not sure how he could deduct that from US tax dollars. Especially since he isn't an American citizen, which would mean he could count that as an overseas deduction. It would not make sense for money being paid in Turkey, to have any effect on US taxes. Maybe if his club, Efes, was located in USA that would apply. But the club is in Turkey. I've never heard of a player from Europe being able to deduct a buyout from their European club from their US taxes.
I think I get your point but you might not be stating it clearly enough.

Given that he's getting paid by a substantial amount by a USA company (and not as a foreign contractor), Korkmaz would be fully on the hook for USA taxes. If he has to pay $1.35m out of pocket as a work necessity and an unavoidable condition of working in the USA, my premise was that he could deduct that whole amount from taxes--regardless of whom he pays the buyout to, or where the recipient is located (in this case, Turkey). You can take deductions off your USA tax bill for expenses that aren't paid in the USA; for instance, if I needed to buy a machine for my business that was only available in Malaysia, I can go get it there and still fully deduct that as a business expense.

I can see how that might not be true--since the tax court could interpret it as strictly a matter between his (overseas) ex-employer and himself. However, the team in the USA could definitely deduct that same thing as un-taxable so I wonder if it's more complicated or open to interpretation.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#20 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:The max income tax in turkey was raised up to 35% a couple years ago.

It was raised to 15%.

http://www.worldwide-tax.com/turkey/turkey_tax.asp

Income Tax for an Individual in Turkey

The standard rate for payments in advance of income tax in Turkey is 15% of the net profit.

They say they want to raise it further, but it's well known that Turkey and Russia are the two biggest tax havens for all basketball and football players in Europe.

Your posted link literally states this

Last partial update, April 2016.
The tax system in Turkey is progressive. In other words, the higher your income, the higher the rate at which you will pay tax.
The 2016 individual tax rates vary from 15% - 35%.

I'm a turk and I think I know our tax brackets better than you. http://www.ivdb.gov.tr/pratik/oranlar/ondokuz.htm even a government page says it so...

Return to NBA Draft