ImageImageImageImageImage

Trading Yasiel Puig

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Should the Dodgers trade Yasiel Puig this off-season? (Changing Vote Enabled)

Poll ended at Fri May 6, 2016 7:43 am

Yes.
No votes
No.
100%
Still undecided.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Puig's Helicopter 

Post#41 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:52 am

Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/25/alex-vega

A tricked-out helicopter is not going to get him to practice on time given the regulations required to take off and land somewhere in addition to flight in designated airspace. Also, given his previous troubles with the law in speeding on land, I'm not exactly comfortable with him piloting or even riding in the air.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Flight of Fancy Grounded #WhenPuigsFly 

Post#42 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Andy McCullough, Los Angeles Times (2/26/16)
Puig has gained notoriety for his tardiness in the past. He joked with Vega about using the chopper to fly to Dodger Stadium to defeat the city's traffic. It's an amusing scenario, but it will have to remain a fantasy. The team has informed Puig a federal law prohibits him from landing any aircraft on the premises.

The Dodgers have researched the viability of helicopter travel for members of the ownership group and other players. The facility at Dodger Stadium lacks a landing pad. The act also would be illegal.

The Federal Aviation Administration prohibits aircraft activity near stadiums holding events for Major League Baseball, the NFL, the NCAA or NASCAR, an FAA official explained. The law does not ban activity near NBA arenas. Kobe Bryant has chartered helicopters to Lakers games in years past.

Dodgers Outfielder Yasiel Puig's Solution for Chronic Tardiness—Arriving by Helicopter—Isn't Going to Fly
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Trading Yasiel Puig 

Post#43 » by TKainZero » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:15 am

safe to say that we want to keep him now
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Ranma
RealGM

Not If Trout is Available 

Post#44 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:26 am

TKainZero wrote:safe to say that we want to keep him now

Unless Arte Moreno wants to swap Mike Trout for him and a few prospects. :D
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Not If Trout is Available 

Post#45 » by Neddy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:11 am

Ranma wrote:
TKainZero wrote:safe to say that we want to keep him now

Unless Arte Moreno wants to swap Mike Trout for him and a few prospects. :D

I dunno.

Mike Trout, Garret Richards and Andrew Heaney and we will think about it :devil:
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#46 » by Neddy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 am

Im sure you get it Ranma, but in case the sarcasm is lost to others, Puig plus De Leon and Stripling for Trout any day.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#47 » by Neddy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am

and yeah I am awake past 2 AM on Monday because I took a week off with my sis in law's wedding. I am flyng back down to LA this Wednesday and will be at the Dodgerstadium for the game to watch of all people.... Alex Wood's start. hey it's a free sweatshirt day.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#48 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Looks like he's fitting in just fine and producing.

Seems to me the only cancers in the locker room are going to be unproductive pieces of chit on bad contracts taking up time from more capable players because of their ego.

edit:
vote changed to no.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#49 » by TKainZero » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Looks like he's fitting in just fine and producing.

Seems to me the only cancers in the locker room are going to be unproductive pieces of chit on bad contracts taking up time from more capable players because of their ego.

edit:
vote changed to no.

So did I... lol

He has got to maintain his patient approach at the plate
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Ranma
RealGM

Puig Ready to Take Flight 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:46 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/722122376595509250[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#51 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 pm

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#52 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 pm

bump
Ranma
RealGM

Analyzing Puig's At-Bats 

Post#53 » by Ranma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 am

Jon Weisman, DodgerInsider.com (6/21/16)
“Yasiel,” Roberts said, “mechanically wasn’t right.

“I think that he was not picking up pitches early, and I think that the load was closing himself off, and then once you coil up and turn yourself in, then the only way to go is to rotate the other way. So it was hurting his staying through the zone with the bat — the length through the zone — and also identifying pitches. Hopefully, we’ve cleaned that up.”

Roberts and the Dodgers will be watching every at-bat closely, but not anxiously.

“For me, I want to see consistent quality at-bats from him, regardless of the results, because I believe with his skill set, if he’s putting up good at-bats and squaring the baseball up, he’ll get hits and drive runs in,” Roberts said. “It could be a week, it could be two weeks, it could be three weeks. It could be four games. Whatever the number, for me it’s just the day-to-day, watching him and evaluating him.”

Puig indicated through a translator that he was eager to get back into action, emphasizing the need to focus on good pitches, without being particularly forthcoming about any mechanical adjustments.

“I feel really good after all the work I did,” Puig said. “I felt I could be 100 percent. I want to do my best on the field.”

Roberts Will Study Puig’s Mechanics in His Return
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Analyzing Puig's At-Bats 

Post#54 » by Neddy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Ranma wrote:Jon Weisman, DodgerInsider.com (6/21/16)
“Yasiel,” Roberts said, “mechanically wasn’t right.

“I think that he was not picking up pitches early, and I think that the load was closing himself off, and then once you coil up and turn yourself in, then the only way to go is to rotate the other way. So it was hurting his staying through the zone with the bat — the length through the zone — and also identifying pitches. Hopefully, we’ve cleaned that up.”

Roberts and the Dodgers will be watching every at-bat closely, but not anxiously.

“For me, I want to see consistent quality at-bats from him, regardless of the results, because I believe with his skill set, if he’s putting up good at-bats and squaring the baseball up, he’ll get hits and drive runs in,” Roberts said. “It could be a week, it could be two weeks, it could be three weeks. It could be four games. Whatever the number, for me it’s just the day-to-day, watching him and evaluating him.”

Puig indicated through a translator that he was eager to get back into action, emphasizing the need to focus on good pitches, without being particularly forthcoming about any mechanical adjustments.

“I feel really good after all the work I did,” Puig said. “I felt I could be 100 percent. I want to do my best on the field.”

Roberts Will Study Puig’s Mechanics in His Return

I'll say he is living up to his own words. he is playing smart with aggresssion. I like it!
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Puig's Improved Mental Approach 

Post#55 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 3, 2016 3:28 am

Jeremy Dorn, TodaysKnuckleball.com (7/2/16)
Friday, he hit a ball down the right field line. It was an outside pitch that he has a tendency to swing over or roll to the shortstop because he tries to put his power behind the ball and hit it to left field. Instead, he went with the pitch and just lined it the other way. That’s how it should be done.

This issue is not uncommon. It’s an adjustment hitters at every level have to make on a constant basis. The difference with Puig is that he seems not to make it until he takes time off (either a benching or an injury) to re-focus. Most elite hitters can recognize it on the fly and alter their approach from game to game or even at-bat to at-bat.

The difficulty lies in the desire to do too much. Puig appears to want to hit a ball 500 feet over the left field fence. He wants to come through in the clutch every single time, so instead of trusting his muscle memory to put a good swing on the ball and let the outcome happen organically, he tries to make it happen himself by putting the ball in the seats.

Right now, Puig is in the good zone. We’ve seen him here a few times each season before. Unfortunately, it’s been fleeting every time. Whether that zone gets intruded on by smart pitchers adjusting to his adjustment or Puig simply losing focus, he always ends up back at square one, trying way too hard to do way too much.

Improved Approach Key to Keeping Yasiel Puig Going
Ranma
RealGM

Rosenthal Says Dodgers Will Entertain Trading Puig 

Post#56 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:00 am

Rosenthal says that the Dodgers will entertain Puig if they haven't already in today's video for Fox Sports. He goes on to say that it may depend on getting Ethier back or if a trade for Jay Bruce happens. It sounds like speculation Rosenthal's part, but I'm guessing he's basing his opinion on sentiment previously expressed by the Dodgers' front office. Rosenthal will just point out and say that the Dodgers are only entertaining trading Puig not proactively shopping him. Whatever.

In any case, it doesn't make sense to me to trade Yasiel Puig right now like Rosenthal is implying regardless of whether we have Ethier and/or Bruce unless we're getting a huge name back like Manny Machado, Jose Fernandez, or Giancarlo Stanton, which would have been the case at any point in time, anyway. It's no coincidence that this was the last item towards the end of the video.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/751904646822756356[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am

Why this subject always bothered me.

Now that he's playing well, I don't see the point in voiding the team of his talent short of bringing a stud SP in.

If he stinks, just say we don't want to sell low. -___-

Make a decision and stick with it. At this point, it's unfair to him. He dropped the weight. He made the adjustment at the dish that people said he never makes. He plays great D. He flew around the basepaths for an ITP walk off HR. Like I always say...IDC what you do...just do it with some conviction. If this was the plan all along, fine (watever). If you're flip flopping on the idea, keep him around.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#58 » by Neddy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:47 pm

I Guess it makes sense. they have Alex Verdugo ready to come up, and have Thompson, SVS already in the bigs to contribute while having to traffic the likes of Joc, Kendrick, ****, and almost ready Ethier and up and comer Toles now to shuffle. if Puig can get us a difference maker either in the rotation or in the bullpen, I can see this being the right move. but I hate it. the fact Zaini have come out to say that this is about who and what Puig is and not what people think Yasiel should be, means we are already selling lower than our expectations. I am afriad this may end up being a deal to Oakland for Rich Hill and his rental status.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Keeping Puig for Now 

Post#59 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm glad we didn't dump Puig, but the writing seems to be on the wall with the increased likelihood of him being dealt, especially with him being arbitration eligible after this season. If we re-sign Reddick and can't dump Ethier during the offseason, Puig may be as good as gone despite being a right-handed batter in our lefty-dominated outfield. I'm going to post a few tweets for reference to come back to later in the winter when the hot stove is heated up.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Prerequisite for Deal Completed 

Post#60 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers