ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#1 » by ChuckDurn » Mon May 30, 2016 8:58 am

I keep seeing lots of "we should do sign-and-trade of Barnes and/or Ezeli for xxxxx"...... and it's driving me nuts.

A sign-and-trade of either player (much less both), particularly for anything of much value, is pretty unlikely.

For it to happen:
- The player(s) must be willing to sign with that team - i.e. it must be the best offer/situation that they'll have. Just because team X has something you want doesn't mean that Barnes/Ezeli is interested in team X, and that team X is interested in paying for Barnes/Ezeli.
- The receiving team (Team X) doesn't have the cap space to sign the players outright (so they need to send something back to make the money work), or they simply want to get rid of somebody who they don't want to pay for anymore. In neither case would we expect to get back anything close to equal value for Barnes/Ezeli - all you want to get back is positive value. Why? Because Team X can simply trade the outgoing salary to a different team to free up the space to sign Barnes/Ezeli outright.

Let's please tap the brakes on the ideas that have us sign-and-trading Barnes and/or Ezeli to other teams and getting much of anything back..... It's extraordinarily unlikely.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE) 

Post#2 » by kaiballz » Fri Jun 3, 2016 5:42 pm

kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
xRapHeadx
Lead Assistant
And1: 124

Post#3 » by xRapHeadx » Fri Jun 3, 2016 5:46 pm

Noel would fit so well with this team. He;'s smart, athletic and has terrific defensive instincts.
Coxy wrote:Well, that is very true indeed. Weed and playstation is like peas and carrotts.
TylerTurban
Pro Prospect
And1: 283

Post#4 » by TylerTurban » Fri Jun 3, 2016 9:41 pm

kaiballz wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242112/76ers-Have-Shopped-Nerlens-Noel-Jahlil-Okafor-To-At-Least-15-Teams

To us, please :)

I like Noel, and I think he'd be pretty awesome with our back court. What would it take, though?

Would Barnes + Ezeli + our first for Noel + Covington do it?
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#5 » by BW32 » Sat Jun 4, 2016 12:28 am

TylerTurban wrote:
kaiballz wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242112/76ers-Have-Shopped-Nerlens-Noel-Jahlil-Okafor-To-At-Least-15-Teams

I like Noel, and I think he'd be pretty awesome with our back court. What would it take, though?

They want to trade a big because they have one too many so Festus doesn't make sense for them.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#6 » by Suka Bongcic » Sat Jun 4, 2016 2:01 pm

TylerTurban wrote:

Livingston would probably get it done. Not sure I'd pull the trigger on that one. Philly needs a Guard, preferably a PG.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Jun 4, 2016 2:36 pm

TylerTurban wrote:

Fail.

We do not have the option of trading either Barnes or Ezeli prior to the draft (in June), because they are both (restricted) free agents. Free agents can't be traded.

Trading them after free agency begins (in July) means that both Barnes and Ezeli agreed to sign-and-trades to Philadelphia. The only way either would want to go there is if they signed massive contracts - probably the size of which that Golden State wouldn't want to match. There's no way the 76ers would trade that much value to the Warriors, simply to entice them not to match the offers. See my earlier post in this thread (about 5 posts ago). Sign-and-trades will not get much value back to the Warriors, if at all, and certainly not this much.

The only other mechanism under which the Warriors could execute such a trade is if the Warriors re-sign both, and simply trade them later. The league mandates that free agents can not be traded until at least 90 days after signing a contract. There's no way Philadelphia would basically wait on this happening (i.e. the teams will not have worked out a trade that couldn't happen for 90+ days).
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#8 » by Warriorfan » Sun Jun 5, 2016 5:22 pm

Sign and trade deals don't have to be equal dollars can be like Iggy trade for an exemption and a pick which can be flipped for a player.

Barnes to Lakers for TPE and 2nd Rd pick which gets flipped for Larry Nance Jr. Is an example. Large TPE can be used to sign players.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jun 6, 2016 1:14 am

Warriorfan wrote:Sign and trade deals don't have to be equal dollars can be like Iggy trade for an exemption and a pick which can be flipped for a player.

Barnes to Lakers for TPE and 2nd Rd pick which gets flipped for Larry Nance Jr. Is an example. Large TPE can be used to sign players.

Agreed.

What I object to are the suggestions that we target a large asset and propose a sign-and-trade of Barnes/Ezeli to get that asset. Sign-and-trades are definitely "defensive" actions these days, simply trying to get some minimal asset (or TPE) back for losing a player that wants to go elsewhere. They're not "offensive" actions, as many posters' proposals would suggest.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#10 » by mos_def » Tue Jun 7, 2016 6:14 am

This is a trade scenario to start up conversation:
Years ago the team traded Mitch Richmond for the rights to Billy Owens (2nd pick)
If Luke could talk the Lakers into it, would you deal Klay for Brandon Ingram (the possible 2nd pick) or any other prospect this year not named Ben Simmons?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#11 » by marthafokker » Tue Jun 7, 2016 6:18 am

Kay is on a cheap contract, compare to Barnes salary.... why trade him? I don't want the second coming of Billy Owens. That was so bad of a trade, and you it again?
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#12 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 7, 2016 6:36 am

mos_def wrote:This is a trade scenario to start up conversation:
Years ago the team traded Mitch Richmond for the rights to Billy Owens (2nd pick)
If Luke could talk the Lakers into it, would you deal Klay for Brandon Ingram (the possible 2nd pick) or any other prospect this year not named Ben Simmons?

No!!!

Is that supposed to be a serious question?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#13 » by mos_def » Tue Jun 7, 2016 6:41 am

Mylie10 wrote:

No!!!

Im bored until Wednesday. Its more or less the value of Klay compared to this year's draft...and a similarity to that horrible trade years ago
kaiballz
Bench Warmer
And1: 666

Post#14 » by kaiballz » Tue Jun 7, 2016 1:34 pm

i wouldn't do it for both simmons AND ingram. we would immediately go from a 70+ win to low 60+ win team.
kaiballz wrote:if anyone can make this comeback (3-1), we can.

I believe in this team.

Wed May 25, 2016 (GSW vs OKC)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#15 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jun 7, 2016 2:27 pm

mos_def wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

No!!!

Im bored until Wednesday. Its more or less the value of Klay compared to this year's draft...and a similarity to that horrible trade years ago

Use green font next time
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#16 » by marthafokker » Tue Jun 7, 2016 7:01 pm

Black Falcon wrote:
TylerTurban wrote:

Livingston would probably get it done. Not sure I'd pull the trigger on that one. Philly needs a Guard, preferably a PG.

If GSW ended up with KD, I would pull that trigger.

Have to think like SAS, Livingston is nice, but Noel is part of making sure the run continues. Besides, need a center to replace both Bogut and Ezeli.

Might get back Livingston in 2017 as FA.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by old rem » Thu Jun 9, 2016 3:31 pm

We can't swap our 2016 unless a #1 comes back, as our 2017 was traded. Also... we can't do any S+T of an RFA till July... after the draft. The Sixer have a load of Cap $ to play with.. so....if they want they can submit a bit on Barnes. Having a surplus of bigs (maybe) Ezeli may not be worth his new salary to them.

Right now? Our trade chips are damn few. Certainly pre-draft. Figure age, salary and they'd be a 1 yr rental.. and neither Iggy nor Bogut is much trade value. Livingston? Yeah....but I think we value him more than whatever we might get in a deal.
CENSORED... No comment.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#18 » by Commodor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 pm

So what if Chicago wanted Harrison Barnes and Ezeli. Could a S&T for Jimmy Butler ever happen? Love him at SF for us.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#19 » by wco81 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Butler is really more of a 2. He will guard 3s but don't expect him to pull down rebounds.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#20 » by Kuya » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:30 am

Trade Steph for Anthony Davis and New Orleans 2016 1st round pick

Return to Golden State Warriors