Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#41 » by RememberLu » Thu Jun 9, 2016 4:35 am

comical
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#42 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 9, 2016 7:30 am

They Sox have rarely developed their own position players. They usually have obtained them through trades more than anything.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,337

Post#43 » by fleet » Thu Jun 9, 2016 11:15 am

I miss Tatis. :wink:
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#44 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jun 9, 2016 5:30 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
IcemanGervin wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:Very highly regarded prospect..but He's only 17. Likely won't make an impact for many years (if at all). Also the Padres are a DISASTER this year and are hitting the reset button all over again..Shields had to go.

This has been the sox problem my entire life. It sucks but my god sometimes you have to wait for things in life. They have always tried to fill leaking holes will bubblegum and the dam bursts every single year. I was just thinking in my car today at work, in my entire lifetime of white sox baseball I cannot remember 1 single exciting homegrown position player prospect to come up through our system and become a bonafide superstar in the league. I'm 26 so I guess this would apply post-Frank Thomas.

Magglio Ordonez is pretty much it post Big Hurt. The Org needs a complete tear down from the top to bottom. I went from complete excitement for this season in April to complete disinterest in the span of 3 **** weeks. 6-20 in our last 26 games. Good grief :banghead: .

Carlos Lee I think came later, but your point stands. That's why I wanted to keep Trayce Thompson. Tatis would've been nice as well, but I had no problem giving him up. I do have a problem giving him up for James Shields though. I didn't think he would be good.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,337

Post#45 » by fleet » Thu Jun 9, 2016 9:33 pm

Reinsdorf puts too much pressure on the Sox to max out wins every single season at the expense of building a long term sustainable pipeline that would be more productive. But the man is crazed by the Cubs. Or just crazed.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Post#46 » by dice » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 am

so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#47 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 am

dice wrote:so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?

Man we were up like 10 games in the standings now back 3.5 games.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,521

Post#48 » by dice » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:31 am

JordansBulls wrote:

seriously? knew the sox were doing well early in the season but today was the first time i've checked the standings
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#49 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 am

dice wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

seriously? knew the sox were doing well early in the season but today was the first time i've checked the standings

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2016-05-13

Code: Select all

Tm    W    L    W-L%    GB    RS    RA    pythW-L%
CHW    24    12    .667    --    162    121    .630
CLE    17    15    .531    5.0    139    124    .552
KCR    17    18    .486    6.5    127    142    .449
DET    15    20    .429    8.5    147    161    .458
MIN    8    26    .235    15.0    117    181    .310
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#50 » by Wont PerDont » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:27 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
fleet wrote:that Tatis kid must have been good to get the Padres to pay all that Shields salary

A lot also had to do with San Diego's ownership group already hitting the panic button. The winter of 2015, they spent a ton of money on high priced free agents and made quite a few trades, only to still be bad. A.J. Preller (Padres' GM) is working for one of the most hands on owners in sports, who lately, has been pretty short fused on things. He called out the team, and Shields by name, last week. So you kinda had a feeling something was coming. Ron Fowler, also basically said nothing of beyond when Preller's deal expires in 2018. It's a mess down there. No matter what they've done, they can't get out of the basement. They have a beautiful park, but it's not being filled. It's almost like the Marlins, except they're a very bad team. With Shields, they were willing to eat money if it meant he was gone. It was never a good signing for them, but they were, as usual, under pressure to add names.

But yes, Tatis is becoming a more touted prospect, and probably the best one the White Sox made available (Tim Anderson & Carson Fullmer, etc. are virtually untouchable unless it was a megastar coming back in a deal), but as said before, he is primarily a SS and the Sox have that locked up when they eventually decide to call up Tim Anderson. But you can't get a straight answer on that time table. And they have said no matter how bad Jimmy Rollins & Tyler Saladino get, that won't speed up Anderson's time table to get to the big (which is not new for the Sox or most teams, they've said the same about Fullmer).

They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#51 » by RememberLu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

They're making some changes at least but it all feels very futile
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#52 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
fleet wrote:that Tatis kid must have been good to get the Padres to pay all that Shields salary

A lot also had to do with San Diego's ownership group already hitting the panic button. The winter of 2015, they spent a ton of money on high priced free agents and made quite a few trades, only to still be bad. A.J. Preller (Padres' GM) is working for one of the most hands on owners in sports, who lately, has been pretty short fused on things. He called out the team, and Shields by name, last week. So you kinda had a feeling something was coming. Ron Fowler, also basically said nothing of beyond when Preller's deal expires in 2018. It's a mess down there. No matter what they've done, they can't get out of the basement. They have a beautiful park, but it's not being filled. It's almost like the Marlins, except they're a very bad team. With Shields, they were willing to eat money if it meant he was gone. It was never a good signing for them, but they were, as usual, under pressure to add names.

But yes, Tatis is becoming a more touted prospect, and probably the best one the White Sox made available (Tim Anderson & Carson Fullmer, etc. are virtually untouchable unless it was a megastar coming back in a deal), but as said before, he is primarily a SS and the Sox have that locked up when they eventually decide to call up Tim Anderson. But you can't get a straight answer on that time table. And they have said no matter how bad Jimmy Rollins & Tyler Saladino get, that won't speed up Anderson's time table to get to the big (which is not new for the Sox or most teams, they've said the same about Fullmer).

I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#53 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:37 pm

RememberLu wrote:They're making some changes at least but it all feels very futile

Nothing is a "fix", and there isn't one available. They're in a tough place, but they've done it to themselves by not building up their minor leagues. They've drafted pitching well, but haven't done squat with position players (hopefully Anderson is the exception).

It's going to take bringing in a real baseball manager in the offseason and making more player moves to get things started, and drafting well as well.
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#54 » by Wont PerDont » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:35 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:

I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.

Wasn't calling you out, brother. Just think it's funny how FO spin goes from "nothing is going to rush his development..." to a pre-break call up after you DFA your veteran starters corpse when you lose 20 of 25.
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#55 » by madvillian » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:20 am

double and run scored for Tim Anderson in his first AB of his career. Kid is going to being some excitement at least.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#56 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:20 am

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).

Wasn't calling you out, brother. Just think it's funny how FO spin goes from "nothing is going to rush his development..." to a pre-break call up after you DFA your veteran starters corpse when you lose 20 of 25.

Very true, but I'm glad that they at least realized hes done now and quickly went out with the old and in with the new. That has to count for something
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#57 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:07 am

I think the smart thing to do is if Ventura won't stop playing bad players, then get rid of them.

I'm happy with the moves that Hahn made today.

Hopefully in the off-season they can get rid of Ventura. Still got to hold out hope on that.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#58 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).

Oh no, I completely agree. But maybe in the last day or so they went "**** it, Rollins sucks" and decided to throw Anderson into the fire.

And they signed Justin Morneau?! That reeks of Kenny Williams. Sign a guy 5 years past his prime and coming off elbow surgery to stick on the DL. One step forward, two steps back. I just don't get their FO hierarchy sometimes. Like last season when they asked KW how Hahn was doing and he said he's still hands on. Head scratching.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#59 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:12 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:I think the smart thing to do is if Ventura won't stop playing bad players, then get rid of them.

I'm happy with the moves that Hahn made today.

Hopefully in the off-season they can get rid of Ventura. Still got to hold out hope on that.

Barring a miracle for the team's play, Ventura's gone in the off season. They're just not going to fire him with an expiring deal (He may step down when it gets really bad and Ricky Renteria manages the rest of the season). He'll be "re-assigned" in the organization when his deal isn't extended. JR and Kenny love him. Start lining up the names that are always going to be thrown out there: Ozzie, Ron Gardenhire, Terry Francona (if he decides to leave Cleveland), etc.

As for the guys Ventura wouldn't stop playing, what's he supposed to do? Especially at SS. It was Rollins or Saladino. Neither that is good or an everyday player. But that's what he was given to start the year at certain positions. No SS and no backup OFs worth anything. Now Austin Jackson goes on the DL for likely 6-8 weeks. They better have something in the cards more than Jerry Sands (and yes, I know they brought Coats back up).

And for about 18 hours, they had 2 former MVPs on the roster before Rollins was DFA'd. Kenny Williams probably had a party for himself thinking it was 2008.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#60 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Saladino is much better than Rollins, so he should have gone with him.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops

Return to Chicago Bulls