ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#441 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Brooks was on 980 this morning. Among many things they discussed over the 15 min, Cooley asked him if he will show Wall, Beal, etc. film of Westbrook and Durant or if he prefers to let the team be its own entity...
I was happy to hear Brooks say every team is its own and what the Wiz did offensively was pretty good last year.

Translation: No ISO ball... Thank god

Better yet, he made a point of saying
"I think if there's one area we could improve on its attacking the basket and getting to the FT line. They didnt take a lot of FT and I think thats an important part of the game, not only offensively, but it allows your defense to get set."

Music to my ears. Basically saying, lets play fast and spread the floor (much like last year), but attack the basket more to get easy points and slow the game down on the defensive end so our fast pace doesnt hurt us defensively.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#442 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:30 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Better yet, he made a point of saying
"I think if there's one area we could improve on its attacking the basket and getting to the FT line. They didnt take a lot of FT and I think thats an important part of the game, not only offensively, but it allows your defense to get set."

Music to my ears. Basically saying, lets play fast and spread the floor (much like last year), but attack the basket more to get easy points and slow the game down on the defensive end so our fast pace doesnt hurt us defensively.

Wait, they won't just take long 2's anymore because that's the first shot the defense gives them? Witt-less is rolling over in his grave! :D
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#443 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm

I think people underestimate how much better Wall becomes (Statistically) if he can get back to his FT rate of 2-3 years ago. It's understandable that his FTr has dropped the last 3 years compared to his first 3 years. He used to attack with reckless abandon and your body takes a toll. I think a combo of a coach who emphasizes it and him becoming more savvy (Harden) about how to get fouls will help tremendously. If he is truly the 35% 3Pt shooter his stats say he has become, then a few more FT along with another scorer could result in great leaps for him on a per possession basis.

BTW, Brooks also mentioned that he saw Beal workout and said he was surprised as to how great he looked, especially for June when players on non-playoff teams are usually relaxing.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#444 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:07 pm

No ISO ball? I'm a fan already. Let Grunfeld work his magic assembling a roster for Brooks.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#445 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:12 pm

closg00 wrote:No ISO ball? I'm a fan already. Let Grunfeld work his magic assembling a roster for Brooks.

Come on. Even Golden State played some ISO ball with Thompson on Kyrie in the Finals and they should have done it more. In certain situations, I have no problem with it as long as you can get a mismatch.
closg00
RealGM

Post#446 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 pm

80sballboy wrote:
closg00 wrote:No ISO ball? I'm a fan already. Let Grunfeld work his magic assembling a roster for Brooks.

Come on. Even Golden State played some ISO ball with Thompson on Kyrie in the Finals and they should have done it more. In certain situations, I have no problem with it as long as you can get a mismatch.

Oh I agree with you, but we often saw John play ISO ball, especially to end a quarter or game. I am looking forward to see what Brooks can do with the young guys.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#447 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:57 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/748200050673713152[/tweet]

I'm a fan. He has a rep of having a personality and being great at player development (especially defensively).
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#448 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 am

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#449 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:09 am

pcbothwel wrote:Coaching staff complete. I will say that i like what im seeing.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-complete-scott-brooks-coaching-staff-1-holdover-wittmans-era

Hilarious how they are forcing Brooks to keep David Adkins as if him staying around for another year (if Durant takes the one year max with OKC) will give the Wiz an extra edge next season for KD2DCPT2.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#450 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:23 am

pcbothwel wrote:Coaching staff complete. I will say that i like what im seeing.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-complete-scott-brooks-coaching-staff-1-holdover-wittmans-era

Got a scout from Golden State.

Victory.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#451 » by Upper Decker » Wed Jul 6, 2016 1:57 am

With Durant going to the GSW, a once promising as hell crop of budding stars is now almost gone. Amazing to think that one team had Durant, Westbrook, harden, and ibaka at the same time...and they didn't even win one championship!! This will go down in NBA history as one of the saddest "what should have been" teams. Then I thought, who coached that underachieving team?...oh yeah, he's now the coach for the wizards. Booooo!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#452 » by montestewart » Wed Jul 6, 2016 2:54 am

Upper Decker wrote:With Durant going to the GSW, a once promising as hell crop of budding stars is now almost gone. Amazing to think that one team had Durant, Westbrook, harden, and ibaka at the same time...and they didn't even win one championship!! This will go down in NBA history as one of the saddest "what should have been" teams. Then I thought, who coached that underachieving team?...oh yeah, he's now the coach for the wizards. Booooo!

I think you're on to something. Terd n Ernie are trying to recast the Wizards roster as good enough but underachieving. Brooks will be the fall guy.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#453 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 6, 2016 3:43 am

Upper Decker wrote:With Durant going to the GSW, a once promising as hell crop of budding stars is now almost gone. Amazing to think that one team had Durant, Westbrook, harden, and ibaka at the same time...and they didn't even win one championship!! This will go down in NBA history as one of the saddest "what should have been" teams. Then I thought, who coached that underachieving team?...oh yeah, he's now the coach for the wizards. Booooo!

To be fair to Brooks, the Thunder had a lot of injuries from 2013 and onward and he wasn't the one that traded James Harden. Right now, I still think it is an overpay.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#454 » by deneem4 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Everything I heardo brooks and wall say this summer revolves around consistency.
With that being said I expect us to be a more conditioned team something I think was the biggest factor in Whiteman poor coaching...we looked tired a lot...
Hopefully brooks will focus on stamina and conditioning expecially with our younger guys and we can cut down on injuries
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#455 » by BigA » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm

An interesting aside from the preseason GM survey, no one picked Scott Brooks in response to the question of which new coach will have the biggest impact.

Which new (or relocated) coach will make the biggest impact this season?
1. Tom Thibodeau, Minnesota – 78.3%
2. Frank Vogel, Orlando – 10.0%
3. Mike D'Antoni, Houston – 8.3%
4. Luke Walton, L.A. Lakers – 3.3%
Last year: Alvin Gentry – 32.1%
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#456 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:53 pm

Heh, well technically the GMs weren't wrong last year. Alvin Gentry did have a big impact.
Bucket! Bucket!
closg00
RealGM

Post#457 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Why do you think none of the GM's vote for Ernie for GM of the year? They know he can't assemble a smart roster, maybe he gets lucky this year.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#458 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:45 am

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#459 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:14 am

Early during the 4th quarter of the Indy game, I noticed that the Wizards were switching on all off-the-ball screens and really jumping out into the passing lanes. It was essentially a match-up zone defense. It's what Golden State does most of the time, and it's really effective once you master it. I think there will be some growing pains as the team learns the new defensive system, but if they ever figure it out, it might bode well for the second half of the year.

They have the personnel to do it because Wall and Beal are long enough and strong enough that they can match up with forwards without too much difficulty. Likewise, Otto and Oubre (and to a lesser extent, Morris) have the footspeed to handle switching out onto guards. It could be real effective with Mahinmi in the game to protect the rim.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#460 » by NatP4 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:19 am

nate33 wrote:Early during the 4th quarter of the Indy game, I noticed that the Wizards were switching on all off-the-ball screens and really jumping out into the passing lanes. It was essentially a match-up zone defense. It's what Golden State does most of the time, and it's really effective once you master it. I think there will be some growing pains as the team learns the new defensive system, but if they ever figure it out, it might bode well for the second half of the year.

They have the personnel to do it because Wall and Beal are long enough and strong enough that they can match up with forwards without too much difficulty. Likewise, Otto and Oubre (and to a lesser extent, Morris) have the footspeed to handle switching out onto guards. It could be real effective with Mahinmi in the game to protect the rim.

But the only player Oubre 19 minutes, didn't play their best lineup down the stretch, such a shame.

Return to Washington Wizards