Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Salary Cap Info

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ryannik09
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Bulls Salary Cap Info 

Post#1 » by ryannik09 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:38 pm

The Vertical Woj's new website will maintain up to date salary info for all teams on a given team's homepage. It will be managed by former Nets front office employee Bobby Marks.
Link is below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/chi/salary

Not sure where else accurate info like this can be found with Deek's shutting down his website so that it was worth sharing and maybe a sticky.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: Bulls Salary Cap Info 

Post#2 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:49 am

Wow, that's a lot of money for Pax to piss away.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,390

Post#3 » by fleet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 pm

I posted a link to both this thread and the Woj page at top in Howard's Bulls resources Announcements thread
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#4 » by molepharmer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:03 pm

I've posted this link a couple of times but "Smitty731" from the General Board has the best, most up to date salary info I've seen. Recently he's been updating it daily. Simply click on the 2016-2017 Eastern Conference tab to find the Bulls.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit#gid=1240051571
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#5 » by bad knees » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:14 pm

This last chart shows the constraints that the Bulls are facing this summer if they really want to have space for two max FAs next summer. This shows that, next year, the Bulls could have a max of $68.2 M in cap space, and that a max FA with 7-9 years in experience (i.e., Westbrook, Hayward and/or Griffin) will cost $30.45 M, so two such max FAs will cost $60.9 M. That would appear to leave the Bulls with $7.3 M per year to spend on an FA this summer on a long term contract. But the amount available actually is much less, because that $7.3 M needs to be reduced by Valentine's $1.8 M salary next year (the chart does not include him in next year's salary because he has not been signed yet), plus it needs to be reduced by the cap hold associated with the Bulls' first round pick next year, which we can assume to be approximately $1.8 M (assuming a similar finish next year). This brings the total amount of money available to spend this summer on a multi-year FA to $3.7 M. Then, you need to count two cap holds so we have 11 players on the roster when we go FA hunting - that's another $1.1 M (two x $562 K) - which brings the available space to spend this summer to $2.6 M. If you replace the two non-roster cap holds with Felicio and Dinwiddie, then another $1.4 M goes away, leaving the Bulls with a grand total of $1.2 M to spend on a long term FA this summer, even less if the Bulls get Sacto's first round pick next year which would create another sizeable cap hold. In other words, if the Bulls want to really save space for two max FAs in 2017, they need to limit their FA signings this summer to ONLY one-year contracts. NO long term contracts of any kind will work if they really want to pursue the two max FA approach for 2017.

This means that, if the Bulls are serious about the two max FA approach, they likely will only sign one or two guys to one-year deals. Say hello to E'twaun Moore on a $14 M one-year contract.

Feel free to quibble with my math. I think I got it right.

FYI, this also assumes that we let Taj, Dunleavy, Calderon and Niko go for nothing. I still think it's the best approach, but it's important to understand the cost involved. Enjoy.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#6 » by kingkirk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Bulls cap before Noah, Gasol officially leave.

Bulls cap after Gasol, Noah and Brooks are gone.

bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by bad knees » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:19 pm

I agree with the above, except that Moore is not signed for 2016-17. I think that the Bulls currently have 12 players signed, plus Valentine and Zipser, who they intend to sign, which leaves one roster spot (likely for Moore).

The point of my previous post is that, regardless of what the precise cap space number is for 2016-2017, if the Bulls want to pursue the double max FA approach for 2017, they can use this summer's cap space ONLY on one-year contracts.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#8 » by kingkirk » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:34 pm

bad knees wrote:I agree with the above, except that Moore is not signed for 2016-17. I think that the Bulls currently have 12 players signed, plus Valentine and Zipser, who they intend to sign, which leaves one roster spot (likely for Moore).

The point of my previous post is that, regardless of what the precise cap space number is for 2016-2017, if the Bulls want to pursue the double max FA approach for 2017, they can use this summer's cap space ONLY on one-year contracts.

Moore isn't signed, but he has to have a cap hold.
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by bad knees » Wed Jul 6, 2016 4:51 pm

I have bumped this thread for purposes of evaluating the Wade drama. The spreadsheet posted by Molepharmer is up to date and, in my opinion, is the best source of info on the Bulls' and other teams' cap space. If the Bulls sign Wade to a deal that costs $25 M in 2017-2018, and dump Rondo, they will have $35 M to spend on a max FA next summer and still keep Butler, Lopez, McD, Grant, Portis, Felicio and Dinwiddie. We lose Mirotic in this scenario. If we want to keep Mirotic's $8.2 M cap hold, then we could dump McD into someone's cap space and still have a $30 M max slot for someone.

Return to Chicago Bulls