10%

Total votes: 42

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

The case AGAINST keeping Millsap 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 7, 2016 3:27 pm

PM has been really good for us on the court. Our win totals may not have always reflected it, but he's been one of the best at his position since his arrival. You could make the argument that he's been the best Hawk of the last decade.

But Zach Lowe lays out in a recent article, the economics dictate it may be time to cut bait before we have to make some extraordinarily difficult decisions...or risk losing him without receiving assets in return:

Millsap is entering the final season of his contract. He is 31, and with 10 years' experience he will be eligible next summer for the highest possible percentage of the salary cap at the exact moment the cap leaps again -- from $94 million to about $110 million. If he gets the max, Millsap's next deal will start with a salary around $35 million. Oof. (Note: The Hawks would normally be able to offer Millsap a five-year deal, but due to a quirk in the collective bargaining agreement...they would be capped at a four-year offer, per several league sources.)

Trading a player like Millsap is painful. He emerged last season as one of the 15 or 20 best players in the league, at worst. But teams are looking ahead at the $110 million mega-cap and are thinking hard about whether age 30-ish players who will demand close to the max are worth it.

...Millsap now knows the Hawks tried to move him, and his trade value declines every day.

We've already seen the Thunder and Bulls trade two free agents-to-be...We might see more teams with impending free agents in this age range consider moving them.
Here

With all that in mind...what are our thoughts on moving Millsap?

On re-signing Millsap to the single biggest salary in Atlanta Sports history?

On playing out the season and letting him walk?
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: The case AGAINST keeping Millsap 

Post#2 » by MaceCase » Thu Jul 7, 2016 3:34 pm

Some people just never learn.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#3 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jul 7, 2016 3:39 pm

Couple things.

I cant see how that would energize D12 to go and trade away your starting AS PF. His backup (your next starter) would be MIKE FRICKIN SCOTT. Think about that.

If you wanted to do this, then you would have NOT signed D12, IMO. You would have traded MIllsap now and blown it all up. I dont think they are looking to do that.

The cap is actually going down next year (report out this morning) , MIllsap at 35 MIllion I do not like at all, but , youre also going to be losing Thabo/Korver (their contracts are up too IIRC). So its possible to make it all work, I personally dont know if Millsap gets that deal TBH not sure what his market will be , he will be 32.5 years old. Is anyone paying him 35 million a year at that age?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 7, 2016 4:00 pm

PandaKidd wrote:If you wanted to do this, then you would have NOT signed D12, IMO. You would have traded MIllsap now and blown it all up. I dont think they are looking to do that.

Zach Lowe's take is that Hawks were trying to rebuild on the fly...acquire future assets while remaining competitive on the floor.

Zach Lowe wrote:They were working to re-sign Horford anyway, and arranging a trade that would jettison Paul Millsap -- their best player last season.

The Horford-Howard front line would keep Atlanta competitive, and dealing Millsap would net rebuilding assets...

It was an interesting plan until it fell apart. Horford is gone, Millsap remains and the trade assets he'd have fetched stay in Denver, Phoenix or someplace else.

Trading Millsap would net the Hawks some building blocks and free them from the dilemma of paying his super-max deal. They talked about Millsap trades with Phoenix, Denver, Toronto and Houston; the Nuggets were ready to flip a players-and-picks package headlined by Kenneth Faried, according to several sources familiar with the matter.
Here
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#5 » by MaceCase » Thu Jul 7, 2016 4:05 pm

From the moment that Ferry walked in he preached flexibility, none of that has changed since BudCox were promoted.

The Hawks retained Millsap on a bargain, they got Dwight on a bargain, they attempted to retain Al on a bargain. They have shown on numerous occasions now that they are more interested in maintaining flexibility and have the wherewithal to obtain adequate replacements through free agency in order to maintain a winning team.

There is no reason to suspect that they'd gift a full max or make a trade without contingency plans already in place. The process is clear.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jul 7, 2016 4:12 pm

http://archive.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20120316phoenix-suns-love-big-chill.html

Paul Millsap has one of these cyro chambers in his house. Apparently this is the big secret the Suns use to keep guys like Nash and Hill healthy and productive in their old age. Most athletes don't have one of these chamber in their home, they just go to a special clinic, but Millsap is one of the few in the world who has one in his home.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#7 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jul 7, 2016 4:28 pm

Cryo therapy has been around for years, they just called it Ice baths HAHAHAHA

Seriously, theres like 2 in Buckhead and 1 in Roswell right by my house
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jul 7, 2016 6:19 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Cryo therapy has been around for years, they just called it Ice baths HAHAHAHA

Seriously, theres like 2 in Buckhead and 1 in Roswell right by my house

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbirA5uNtMU[/youtube]

You are wrong. Go to 0:45 on the video above. it is obvious u have no clue how therapy works. The body reacts differently to cold water and cold air. In addition, cold water can only get to be as cold 32F, with salt water, it can go as low as -20F, with this cryo chamber, it can go lower than -100F

Good to know that u have cyro chamber clinics near ur house, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? :crazy:

if u have to go to a clinic, you are only going to do it 2-3 times a week. Since Millsap has one in his house, he said he does it 7 days a week after ever work out.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#9 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jul 7, 2016 8:09 pm

You gotta stop getting so upset broseph It was a joke since i said HAHAHAHAHA at the end of it.

I know what Cryotherapy is, Ive had it done :puts glasses on:

It totally has benefits, but its not a NEW technology. Its been around for some time, just not as portable as it is now. Its $70 downtown for 3 min, if you workout or play sports I recommend it, just expensive. I was pointing out there was numerous options local if you wanted to go try it out. cool yo jets

Also I dont think its exclusive to the Suns. You should really look into the vacuum recovery pumps, those are way more interesting.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:09 pm

A couple of the more prominent Hawks Fan Sites ponder publicly whether Hawks should shop Millsap in light of his approaching Free Agency:

Peachtree Hoops wrote:With significant obstacles in the way of a championship, the Hawks should look into receiving assets for Paul Millsap while they still can. Assuming Millsap opts out of his contract at the end of this season, the Hawks will have to use cap space to offer a 4-year max deal as the cap increases again from $94 million to $102 million. Such a deal would keep Millsap in Atlanta until age 36, surely past his prime.

Let me be perfectly clear: Atlanta is not likely to trade Millsap. However, the trade possibilities involving Millsap are intriguing, to say the least.

Atlanta loves Paul Millsap, and rightfully so. He has been a vital piece to the Bud’s system. But, there is a real chance Millsap departs after next season. No matter how you spin it, the Hawks are looking at a tough choice coming in the next 12 months.
Here

Soaring Down South wrote:Paul Millsap has become a crucial cog in the Atlanta Hawks’ pass-happy machine. He is the kind of power forward that is perfectly matched to coach Mike Budenholzer’s system, with range of shooting, passing ability and a staunch defensive presence. As the leading scorer, rebounder, blocker and stealer on the Hawks’ team, Millsap was easily the key player on the team last year...

[But] Atlanta quietly blew up their core this summer, jettisoning Jeff Teague to Indiana and letting Al Horford walk up to Boston.

Millsap’s three-year contract, has a player option at the end of this upcoming 2016-17 season. He will spend the season forming what could be a really strong, two-way front court with Dwight Howard. And with a huge salary increase likely, the Louisiana-native will definitely be opting out of the last year of his contract.

The power forward will be 32 years old going into free agency and he may look for either a winning situation or a huge payday for his next contract, of which the Hawks could be incapable or unwilling to offer. It is impossible to predict free agency, but the Hawks’ chances of bringing Millsap back will undoubtedly have taken a hit from their lack of foresight...

Without Millsap, Atlanta could fall down the league standings dramatically and Howard will be left among a young roster, primed for a rebuild but unable to do so.
Here

Just weeks ago there were a number of options on the table. If we're gonna do it, we can't wait to the last minute yet again. (Like we did with AL. Like we did with Josh.)

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Another, more prominent writer at PTH addresses the topic of a potential Millsap trade and how it could affect the Hawks long and short term.

A nice, brief podcast that goes into more detail than other shorter pieces.

Paul Millsap is the best player on the Atlanta Hawks roster.

Paul Millsap is also the player most closely associated with trade rumors.

The combination of those two facts is very intriguing, and today's Locked on Hawks podcast is dedicated entirely to Millsap's future. Should the Hawks move on from their All-Star power forward? If so, when should they pull the trigger? What about his next contract? What would the Hawks be looking for in a trade package? All of these questions are answered... with even more insight to come.
Here

Read on Twitter

Rowland mentions that with Millsap, Thabo and Korver all approaching Free Agency next summer...we could be looking at a roster overhaul in a matter of months.

"There'd be nothing worse than losing a player like Millsap for nothing in return, the way we just lost Horford." -Brad Rowland
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:31 pm

It’s not ever pleasant but all the trade possibilities and rumors are part of the business in the NBA. Paul Millsap knows it.

The Hawks’ three-time all-star power forward found himself in the middle of such trade talk this summer...

“Not my first time; not going to be my last,” Millsap said on Monday. “The business is the business. I don’t think anyone is OK with it but it is what it is. You have to accept it for what it is. I’m an Atlanta Hawk. I will be until further notice. I’m going to put everything on the floor to help this team and this community win.”

Millsap was an unrestricted free agent last summer. He took less money to stay with the Hawks. After the upcoming season, Millsap has a player option and can opt out of his contract and re-enter unrestricted free agency. That move is likely based solely on the increases in the NBA salary cap this and next year.

Millsap will likely be a hot topic on or before the NBA trade deadline next season as the Hawks risk losing him for nothing, just as they did with Horford.

Millsap said he remains on good terms with Hawks management despite the trade talk. He said there were no fences that need to be mended.
Here

Millsap handling the trade rumors like a true professional. Love this dude. Hope he gets a chance to truly compete for a title before his career ends.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:52 pm

Paul Millsap wrote:The business is the business. I don’t think anyone is OK with it but it is what it is. You have to accept it for what it is. I’m an Atlanta Hawk. I will be until further notice.

On further review of the quote above, it certainly feels like PM is preparing for an inevitable breakup either mid-season or next summer.

He's such a good dude...but age, size and salary-demands dictate both parties move on.

Kevin Love for Paul Millsap (and a future 2nd rounder) works for both teams.

We get a younger player, under contract longer...and a more consistent three-point threat to complement D12. Cavs get improve their front court, interior scoring, team defense and get another vet presence in the locker room.

Making them more capable of hanging with an improved GSW team in a 7 game series.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 5, 2016 1:32 pm

Another writer at Soaring Down South lays out the basic argument for considering a Millsap trade pretty succinctly:

If you are fatigued from articles speculating on an Atlanta Hawks trade involving Paul Millsap I understand...I just think that after losing Josh Smith (who had value back then), and Al Horford without any compensation, it makes sense to weigh every available option. Based on that, I am on board with moving him for young assets that could gradually get this team to the promised land.

Considering that the relationship could be damaged, on top of the fact that he could walk in free agency, it would seem necessary to trade him before the deadline in February.
Here
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 974

Post#15 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Aug 6, 2016 3:17 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Another writer at Soaring Down South lays out the basic argument for considering a Millsap trade pretty succinctly:

If you are fatigued from articles speculating on an Atlanta Hawks trade involving Paul Millsap I understand. There are a lot of them out there. I just think that after losing Josh Smith (who had value back then), and Al Horford without any compensation, it makes sense to weigh every available option. Based on that, I am on board with moving him for young assets that could gradually get this team to the promised land.

Considering that the relationship could be damaged, on top of the fact that he could walk in free agency, it would seem necessary to trade him before the deadline in February.
Here

Here's the thing. If you're trading Sap, then you're going to need something to compete with now in return. Otherwise, what was the point of signing Howard? The only guys who even come close to helping us would be someone like Crabbe in Portland, Kanter in OKC, Rudy Gay, KCP in Detroit, or maybe Denver has a package involving Harris and Faried(Gallo, but I would assume he's not going anywhere for just Sap).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 6, 2016 4:18 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Here's the thing. If you're trading Sap, then you're going to need something to compete with now in return. Otherwise, what was the point of signing Howard? The only guys who even come close to helping us would be someone like Crabbe in Portland, Kanter in OKC, Rudy Gay, KCP in Detroit, or maybe Denver has a package involving Harris and Faried(Gallo, but I would assume he's not going anywhere for just Sap).

You are correct, sir. We'd definitely need to acquire a piece young enough to be part of the future, but established enough to contribute immediately.

KCP, Oladipo, K-Love are three players I'd have gone after earlier this year. But, it seems none of them are available for a 31 year old on an expiring contract.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 974

Post#17 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Aug 6, 2016 3:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Here's the thing. If you're trading Sap, then you're going to need something to compete with now in return. Otherwise, what was the point of signing Howard? The only guys who even come close to helping us would be someone like Crabbe in Portland, Kanter in OKC, Rudy Gay, KCP in Detroit, or maybe Denver has a package involving Harris and Faried(Gallo, but I would assume he's not going anywhere for just Sap).

You are correct, sir. We'd definitely need to acquire a piece young enough to be part of the future, but established enough to contribute immediately.

KCP, Oladipo, K-Love are three players I'd have gone after earlier this year. But, it seems none of them are available for a 31 year old on an expiring contract.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

I'm inclined to believe that the Hawks FO weren't actively shopping Sap, and was only listening to people shoot them offers, and it's nothing wrong with doing just that. They know what Sap can do, and what he brings to a team. If a team wanted to give up the right value for him, then Sap would be traded, Horford would have got his money from us, and we'd have a brighter future.

I wouldn't let his expiring deal, and future deal be of concern to me. Saps one of the best 2 way PF's in the league, if not the best. You don't just give up on that if you're trying to compete and improve your team. If you're willing to give Al close to a max deal, then Sap is surely worth it.
Johnstarks
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#18 » by Johnstarks » Tue Aug 9, 2016 2:02 am

I'm a big Millsap fan but geez starting salary of $35m just sounds gross at his age. That's a tough one. Love would make some sense and I think Cleveland would agree to that deal. He's a good fit with howard on both ends and Millsap is a perfect upgrade in cleveland
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#19 » by simon24 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:13 am

Johnstarks wrote:I'm a big Millsap fan but geez starting salary of $35m just sounds gross at his age. That's a tough one. Love would make some sense and I think Cleveland would agree to that deal. He's a good fit with howard on both ends and Millsap is a perfect upgrade in cleveland

My fear is Boston may be the only team bold enough to pay him 35 mil a year while ATL wouldn't have anybody ready to replace him.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#20 » by MaceCase » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:37 am

simon24 wrote:
Johnstarks wrote:I'm a big Millsap fan but geez starting salary of $35m just sounds gross at his age. That's a tough one. Love would make some sense and I think Cleveland would agree to that deal. He's a good fit with howard on both ends and Millsap is a perfect upgrade in cleveland

My fear is Boston may be the only team bold enough to pay him 35 mil a year while ATL wouldn't have anybody ready to replace him.

Sounds like the Al situation. I think the Hawks came out well with that.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core

Return to Atlanta Hawks