Alessandro gentile-not coming in the nba

Moderator: THE J0KER

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Alessandro gentile-not coming in the nba 

Post#1 » by Gibson22 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 am

I don't know if you guys heard that alessandro gentile will not come in the nba, he has not came out of his contract with olimpia milano. Anyway, do any of you think that (if someone saw him in turin preolympic tournament, or all this season) that he deserves the nba. He played awful games in the preolympic, down by 4 about 1 minute left in the overtime of the preolympic final he misses a fastbreak layup, we defend well, they miss, 1 second after the rebound gentile gets an horrible turnover and we are over. One year ago european torunament QF agains lituania we are tied he goes for the deciding action, he struggles, he almost turnovers the ball, he passes to belinelli almost at halfcourt with like 1.5 second remaining.
And anyway, this guy just never improved. he seemes to regress. Knowing him from when he was 17 (i'm italian) this guy used to be a phenomenon, but it's been 3/4 years that he just is a relatively (relatively to the importance of basketball in italy) a marketing and television product. In all of these years, he just remained the same. He was a phisical beast, from a basketball family, he had something in him, some kind of hidden raw talent. Years and years later, he still has the same control problems, attitude problems, he struggles in the clutch, his shot is worse than ever (he looks like when you play nba 2k and you hold the shooting button too much), he has no court vision, low basketball iq. The player he is now, i don't know if we can even call him a good serie a player.
What do you guys think? (If you have seen him in this season and in the preolympic tournament, i repeat, because we all know the player he sometimes showed us to be)
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,287

Re: Alessandro gentile-not coming in the nba 

Post#2 » by baldur » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I watched him many times. He is a great baller. He is pretty much similar to Danilo Gallinari in terms of game style. He loves to be a go-to-guy. he is an all-arounder. His offensive skill-set is great. But i sense something mentally is wrong with him. I mean he can turn into a ghost occasionally on the floor and makes stupid shot selections. Besides i agree with the op. He could have been better by now but he hasnt been able to live up to the expectations.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#3 » by Von Bismarck » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:00 pm

You cannot really say that you cannot even call him good Serie A. He's had few excellent Euroleague seasons and is still young.

He's had a turbulent season with his injury, but before that he was playing very well. However, his shot seems broken after that last injury. When he shoots the 3 it's like he has no arc at all which is really weird to see from a professional basketball player who was a decent shooter before the injury.

My opinion is that he's doesn't have a motor. It seems like he is uninterested in basketball most of the time on court. Also, he seems to crack under pressure.

But besides that, I've always been fond of Gentile. He's like a shorter, poor men's version of Gallinari. But IMO, he'll never be as successful as Gallo cause he just doesn't have that kind of drive, like he doesn't want it strong enough.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#4 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:26 pm

He's a good player, but his problem is he is only about 1/5 as good as he thinks he is. He thinks he is like Spanoulis in Europe, or like Kobe in NBA, and he's just not.

He's a guy that never failed to take any shot, from anywhere, in any situation, at any time.....yet, he's not a good shooter. Basically, he's a talented and good player but his shot selection is atrocious.

He's something like Carlos Delfino without a 3 point shot.
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#5 » by Gibson22 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Yeah, i got what you find similar between the two guys gentile and gallo -they're both from italy-
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,287

Post#6 » by baldur » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:02 am

lebron3-14-3 wrote:Yeah, i got what you find similar between the two guys gentile and gallo -they're both from italy-

im sure it was a fair resemblance.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#7 » by Apollo64 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 am

Rumour was that the Rockets were trying to trade his rights and noone was interested.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#8 » by Mr. E » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:48 pm

I hadn't heard this development. I thought that he was still in-play for the upcoming season.

I'll ask around.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Mr. E wrote:I hadn't heard this development. I thought that he was still in-play for the upcoming season.

I'll ask around.

No, he's not. He already re-signed with his Italian team.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Basket/SerieA/10-07-2016/olimpia-fumata-bianca-alessandro-gentile-resta-milano-160297862584.shtml

And he is quoted as saying, "I would leave Milan just for something really special."
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:21 pm

It's confirmed that he is staying in Italy.

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/288501/gentile-quietly-stays-in-milano

Gentile quietly stays in Milano
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#11 » by Mr. E » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:17 am

That's good to know for sure. Thank you!

I do hope that the Rockets retain his rights and that they don't send them off as part of some trade. Down the road I still like the fit if he wants to make the jump.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Return to International Basketball