Need help with offense!

AndrewRoberts
Ballboy
And1: 0

Need help with offense! 

Post#1 » by AndrewRoberts » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:41 am

Hey guys, so I have tryouts next month and NEED to make the team. However, I'm a bit fuzzy on the offense and have questions.

How do you get the defender off balance and how do you know if the defender is off balance? I have tried basic moves like in and out but they are not that effective. Furthermore, When I have the defender off balance, what do I do to get past or get a jumpshot?

What's that about getting the defender on heels? I manage to get the defender on their heels but what do I do after that?

Also, about shooting, when shooting two pointers, can I hang in the air and then shoot (even if i have good upper body strength) or is it better to bring the power from the legs? Oh, and does anyone know any drills that work on quick shots? I always have to release quick or otherwise, I get blocked.

Really hope you guys can help me, I'm in a bit of a panic, I've never tried out for a team before.
Jory04
Sixth Man
And1: 269

Re: Need help with offense! 

Post#2 » by Jory04 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 pm

These should help get you on your way, every high school aged player should study these.

mikestar
Junior
And1: 105

Post#3 » by mikestar » Mon Sep 5, 2016 2:23 am

The jab step is your friend. Plenty of videos out there on how to use and work from.
jacbobbutler
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#4 » by jacbobbutler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 am

mikestar wrote:The jab step is your friend. Plenty of videos out there on how to use and work from.

+1, learn how to sell the jab step well and it will be extremely disorienting to your defender. Also keep the ball tight to your body, wrap it up while driving to avoid defenders smacking it out your hand.
My basketball Journey Blog : http://kellypandora.wixsite.com/basketball

Return to High School Basketball