Official Chelsea FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Re: Official Chelsea FC Thread 

Post#1341 » by Det the Threat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am

fatlever wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:According to german media, Andreas Christensen could be headed for Borussia Mönchengladbach for about €20M.
Chelsea would receive a buyback option at some point later on.

We'll see what happens.

Would be the type of dumb thing that Chelsea would do. What's funny is if the roles were reversed and Chelsea was trying to buy Christensen from Gladbach, they'd probably be asking for twice that much money.

Well, nothing's written in stone and the only reason for that would be Christensen banking on playing time at Gladbach, while Chelsea's able to make a nice profit and still holding that buyback option a couple years down the road.

You guys also need to win imediatly and as far as I've heard, Conte wants at least another cb, next to Cahill, Zouma(who should be back rather soon, IMO) and that would make Christensen CB#4 at best, which doesn't help him at all.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#1342 » by lukekarts » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 am

Det the Threat wrote:
fatlever wrote:
Det the Threat wrote:According to german media, Andreas Christensen could be headed for Borussia Mönchengladbach for about €20M.
Chelsea would receive a buyback option at some point later on.

We'll see what happens.

Would be the type of dumb thing that Chelsea would do. What's funny is if the roles were reversed and Chelsea was trying to buy Christensen from Gladbach, they'd probably be asking for twice that much money.

Well, nothing's written in stone and the only reason for that would be Christensen banking on playing time at Gladbach, while Chelsea's able to make a nice profit and still holding that buyback option a couple years down the road.

You guys also need to win imediatly and as far as I've heard, Conte wants at least another cb, next to Cahill, Zouma(who should be back rather soon, IMO) and that would make Christensen CB#4 at best, which doesn't help him at all.

I hate the prospect of Christensen leaving permanently. I'd also like to add, that most Chelsea fans don't really rate Cahill anymore, I believe most of us would expect Andreas to be above Cahill in the pecking order.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#1343 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 pm

lukekarts wrote:
I hate the prospect of Christensen leaving permanently. I'd also like to add, that most Chelsea fans don't really rate Cahill anymore, I believe most of us would expect Andreas to be above Cahill in the pecking order.

Exactly

Assuming Chelsea signs a centerback this summer, like Koulibaly (or someone similar), then this would be the CB pool heading into 2017-18

Player X
Zouma
Cahill
Terry (maybe)
Ivanovic (maybe)
Miazga
Djilobodji
Hector
Clarke-Salter
Tomori

Looking at that list, is there any reason to believe that Christensen wouldn't immediately be, at worst, the #3 centerback behind Player X and Zouma, and that's assuming Zouma recovers from a torn ACL. We have no clue if Terry and Ivanovic will be around after this season and Cahill is getting up there in age and is already just a mediocre CB.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1344 » by fatlever » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 pm

I really don't understand Chelsea's fascination with chasing Lukaku for the money being rumored. Unless Costa is gone, seems money would be better spent on a defender.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#1345 » by Det the Threat » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:04 am

fatlever wrote:Exactly

Assuming Chelsea signs a centerback this summer, like Koulibaly (or someone similar), then this would be the CB pool heading into 2017-18

Player X
Zouma
Cahill
Terry (maybe)
Ivanovic (maybe)
Miazga
Djilobodji
Hector
Clarke-Salter
Tomori

Looking at that list, is there any reason to believe that Christensen wouldn't immediately be, at worst, the #3 centerback behind Player X and Zouma, and that's assuming Zouma recovers from a torn ACL. We have no clue if Terry and Ivanovic will be around after this season and Cahill is getting up there in age and is already just a mediocre CB.

At the end of the day, it's about what's best for Christensen and at his current age, that's playing time.

I also expect you guys to buy at least one more defender this window and there'd be another two windows till the start of the 2017/18 season, with Conte(who'll be under pressure to produce/win like every manager at Stamford Bridge) probably asking for even more.

On top of that, it's going to be a deal that includes a buyback option for you guys. It means you'll get a nice amount of money right now(helping in the transfer window) and would be able to bring him back a couple years down the road for about €10 - €20M extra, while he keeps on developing.
And if he does keep developing that would actually be a good deal for you guys, given the prices in the current market and in years to come.

Though, so far nothing's been official and we should just wait and see what happens.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1346 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:16 pm

twitter rumors suggesting Baba Rahman heading to Schalke on loan. Good news for those of us who wanted to see more of Ola Aina who has looked really good and is homegrown. Bad news for those of us who wanted to see less of Ivanovic at RB.

I guess if Aina was ahead of Rahman on the depth chart heading into the season, there was no reason to keep Baba around as the 4th choice fullback.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1347 » by treiz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Pretty happy about that all around, Aina has been looking good and hopefully Rahman can get some confidence in a league where he's confident in.

With regards to Christensen, I'd be disappointed if we sell him even with a buyback clause. I think it's fair to say that if that inital loan was for only one year there's no doubt that he'd be at least the #3 CB right now with Zouma out and will no doubt usurp Cahill by December. That's how mediocre Cahill is, and the fact that Zouma might take a few months to recover fully after he comes back to training in September.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1348 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:59 pm

0-3 to Real's B team at haltime.

Looks like we spoke too soon about Aina. That as a tough first half for the kid.

Absolutely embarrassing performance from Chelsea in that half. The announcers are, rightfully so, giving Chelsea the business. I don't even know where to begin in terms of pointing fingers. I'm not so much annoyed by the score, because 1 deflection, one world class bullet, but I have no clue what we are trying to do. We can't get the ball out of our half, even down 3 goals. We can't string together more than 3 passes in a row, same as it was vs LPool. Cahill and Terry look so unbelievably slow. Conte certainly has his work cut out for him between now and the start of the season. Kante has to be looking at this thinking "I've made a terrible mistake. Not even I can save this mess".

Hopefully the 2nd half subs will make a difference.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1349 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Oh and Begovic is trash
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1350 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:12 pm

Not entirely sure what to make of the 2nd half. On one hand, the 2nd half team was clearly better than the 1st half team. Courtois (untested), Hazard, Michy, Cuadrado, Chalobah and Moses were all clearly better than their 1st half counterparts. On the other hand, Real coasted in the 2nd and played the last 30 with their youth team.

Did RLC stink again today? Yes. Yes he did.
Is RLC a striker? No. Not even close.
Was Chalobah better than RLC? Yes. Easily, regardless of position.

Moses and Cuadrado were clear upgrades over Pedro and Willian, both of whom were awful in the 1st.

Chalobah just looks the part of a 2-man midfield much more so than Oscar who faded fast after a decent opening 10-15 minutes.

If we insist on this 4-2-4 with the 2nd striker dropping into the midfield to a 4-5-1 on defense, than I hope Hazard plays that role. Gives him a lot of room to pick up the ball and run at defenders as well as putting him closer to goal scoring chances where he can play off Costa and Michy. Less defensive responsibility on the wings for him as well.

Michy's bottled chance at the end ignored, he looked pretty good. No coincidence the attack improved when he came on for RLC, who has no idea what to do as a striker, it seems.

If you forced me to pick a starting 11 for opening weekend (sticking with Conte's 4-2-4, although I would prefer a 4-3-3) I'd go with this team. (sadly the back 4 is by default, with no other real options, considering Ivan is hurt and Baba appears to be headed out on load and Zouma not ready.)

-------------------------------Courtois
Aina--------------Cahill------------------Terry--------------Azpi
-------------------Kante----------------Chalobah
Cuadrado-------Hazard---------------Costa---------------Moses

Harsh on Matic, Oscar and Cesc, but I haven't quite figured out where Cesc fits in this formation. Unless we are playing a weak side that plans to sit back and defend, than I'm not sure I want to see Cesc in a 2-man midfield. Perhaps Kante is all he needs. I can't believe I've moved Cuadrado ahead of Willian, but sadly, Willian has not impressed since the middle of last season. Cuadrado at least knows how to play out wide as a true winger.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1351 » by fatlever » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Also have to wonder about Kenedy's future, at least for this upcoming season. We've played 4 friendlies and he's barely played at all. Unless he is nursing an injury that I haven't heard about, this can't be a good sign for him.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#1352 » by lukekarts » Mon Aug 1, 2016 9:46 am

Chalobah really impressed me. I hope Conte saw enough in him during that game and in training to keep him around. His vision was great against Real.

Interesting speculation surrounding Chelsea to start the week:

1. Baba heading to Schalke on loan - this basically leaves us with Aina, Azpi and Ivanovic as fullbacks (all 3 being natural on the right)

2. Oscar being linked to Inter. Frankly I don't think he has a place in our supposed 4-2-4, and he's done nothing to progress in 3 years, so I'd be happy to see him go.

3. Costa unhappy - the Ramos conversation being reported - Atletico were his biggest suitors though so I don't know where he might end up, if he leaves.

4. €60 or €80m being bid for Lukaku. Crazy - why why why why why??

5. Willian being flattered by Mourinho wanting him - well, he was good for us last year but he's not good enough as a winger IMO, so I'd not mind him leaving.

Where's the speculation linking us to Mustafi and Koulibaly gone? We desperately need reinforcements in defence. And if we're really going for a striker, I have no idea why Icardi is not being thought about.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1353 » by fatlever » Thu Aug 4, 2016 4:27 am

Yes! Yes! Yes!

We need more of what we saw in that last 30 minutes, in particular the last 15 when Cuadrado and Chalobah came on.
So much aggression and speed all over the field.
Kante and Chalobah were everywhere in that midfield (as well as Matic when next to Kante).
Loved the overlapping runs from Azpi late in the 2nd. He was playing so advanced it felt like a 3-man backline there for a while. Hazard looks like he is completely back to his old self.
I never in a million years thought I'd be pushing for Cuadrado to not only make the team, but displace Willian as a starter. Willian just kills so much in the attacking 3rd.
3-man midfield looks like the way to go with this current team.
Kante + Matic/Chalobah + Cesc/Oscar.
RLC needs to go on loan. I just don't see a place for him on the team this season. Why waste him on the bench. Let him get some much needed experience.
I think Kenedy will head out on loan as well, unless we loan/sell one of Pedro, Moses or Cuadrado (please not the last two).
Must find replacements for Cahill and Ivanovic ASAP. Aina isn't quite ready to be a full-time starter and Zouma is still recovering. We cannot keep trying to start Terry/Cahill/Ivanovic.
Traore looked solid.
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1354 » by NYCLaker » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:18 pm

Kante looked really good. A significant upgrade to what Matic was last season.

Kante might be a smarter version of Ramires, which is what really stop Ramires from being a good DM.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1355 » by fatlever » Tue Aug 9, 2016 5:13 pm

One week before the season starts and still so many unanswered questions

1) Will we sign any defenders? We are getting near desperate territory now with the lack of quality defenders - down do just Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpi, Hector and Aina. That is absolutely dire. 3 guys over 30, two guys who have barely played and Azpi. The decision to loan Ake is looking worse every day. If we strike out on Koulibaly, which appears to be the case, who else can we realistically buy that would be an upgrade? We need a legit cenber back and another full back ASAP.

2) What formation? 4-2-4 or 4-3-3? We've looked so much better which 3 in the midfield, and certainly Conte has noticed. But that doesn't mean he's ready to give up on the 4-2-4. If we do play with 2 in the midfield, I hope that two doesn't include Cesc or Oscar. Neither looked comfortable in that 2-man midfield.

3) Have we given up on the ridiculous pursuit of Lukaku? Lets hope that chase is over and we've moved on to putting all money towards the defense.

4) Who gets sold? The names we keep hearing over and over that are rumored to be up for sale are Remy, Pedro, Cuadrado, Oscar and Matic. Of that bunch I'd definitely look to sell Remy and Pedro and keep the rest. I'd give Mikel the option of staying or leaving. He deserves the chance to play regularly if he desires. Remy has to go and I'd sell Pedro in order to keep Moses and Cuadrado.

5) Who gets loaned? Miazga, Kenedy, RLC, Moses, Cuadrado, Hector, Chalobah? Miazga is a no-brainer to get loaned, even if we are painfully thin at the back. I'd definitely look to loan RLC in order to get him some playing time. He's not ready. Kenedy barely played in preseason, so he looks likely to be loaned. No sense in leaving him out of the lineups all season. I will be livid if we loan out Chalobah again. He is ready now for legit minutes. Moses and Cuadrado have earned a spot over Pedro. Pedro has been the worst of the the backup wingers. Hector probably has to stay, for now.

6) Who is first choice in the midfield next to Kante? Matic, Cesc, Oscar or my guy Chalobah? Oscar has been really good in a 3-man midfield this preseason, enough for him to definitely be in the conversation to start ahead of either Matic or Cesc. Its good to have diverse options as all 4 of them bring something different. I'd probably give Matic and Cesc first crack, but both would have a short leash for Oscar and Chalobah.

My squad to start the season 4-3-3
------------------------Courtois/Begovic/Blackman
Ivanovic/Aina-----Cahill/Ivanovic----Terry/Hector****-----Azpi/Aina
-------------------------------Kante/Mikel
--------------Cesc/Oscar (RLC**)------------Matic/Chalobah
Willian*/Cuadrado-----------------------------Hazard/Moses (Kenedy***)
---------------------------Costa/Bats/Traore

+ Zouma (injured)
+ Van Ginkel (injured)

*I am reluctantly putting Willian as the starter. I love his work rate so he can stay as long as the offense is clicking, but if he starts killing the attack like he usually does, I'd be more than OK with Cuadrado or Moses taking over.

Loaned: RLC**, Kenedy***, Miazga, Hector****
Sold: Remy, Pedro
Must Buy: centerback, fullback, maybe a 1st choice winger

** RLC can stay if Mikel leaves,
*** Kenedy can stay if Pedro leaves and no other better wings are bought, like say, Mahrez :)
****Hector loaned if we buy a legit CB or in January once Zouma returns
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1356 » by treiz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 pm

1) We're in desperate need of defenders, our back line just looks absolutely shambolic. I don't mind Koulibaly, but I hope the club is not pinning all their hopes on him. Think another RB should also be looked at. It's a shame because I thought Conte would try and experiment with a 3-man back this preseason to try out Azpi/Cuadrado at the WB positions.

2) I think that Conte will run with a 4-3-3 and right now is just testing out the 4-2-4 for situations where it's necessary. Besides, unless we roll with a Kante/Matic 2 man-midfield. It's just not gonna work.

3) I hope so, really don't want Lukaku here. Especially for the price he's being quoted for.

4) I'd try and sell Remy/Oscar definitely. Mikel like you said can decide his own future, Moses and Pedro I'm not too bothered about. I like Cuadrado's potential with Conte and I feel like Matic could have a big year but if he wants to leave, so be it.

5) Loaned out for sure: Miazga/RLC. If the situation arises that we can loan these lot out: Moses/Kenedy/Hector. I really want to keep Chalobah with this group and see him develop.

6) Right now it should be Cesc/Matic alongside Kante. Despite Oscar looking good, he still has to show it in the real games, I trust Cesc/Matic more to turn up. Although having Chalobah in there will allow Kante to push forward which would bring tremendous energy to the midfield.

Traore also loaned out to Ajax apparently.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1357 » by fatlever » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Kenedy on his way to Watford
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets

Post#1358 » by fatlever » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:08 pm

really annoyed that Chalobah didn't even make the bench, but RLC did. Does RLC have pictures of somebody's wife? Also annoyed that Pedro made the bench ahead of Cuadrado. How badly does Nate have to outplay someone to make the game day roster?
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#1359 » by Riko » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

I really don't like this lineup. Oscar over Fabregas and William over Cuadrado are simply bad choice.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#1360 » by Riko » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Riko wrote:I really don't like this lineup. Oscar over Fabregas and William over Cuadrado are simply bad choice.

My bad. Oscar was amazing tonight.
Good performance but without some signs Chelsea (RFB, right wing) can't compete with United and City.

Return to The General Soccer Board