Official Drug Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Official Drug Thread 

Post#141 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Its just funny but despite Mir being one of my favorite fighters, I've always sort of suspected him of PED use (the TRT, the Drysdale connection, etc.). That said, his last interview with Ariel did have me questioning his positive test a little bit. Just the timelines he was giving in terms of his passed tests, his failed test, vs how long the drug stays in your system. The way it was framed by him is that basically he would have only been able to juice for like one day. IDK the details are fuzzy but its worth the listen. I think the kangaroo meat thing is some comment he made on his podcast where he was just going through his diet, etc. leading up to the fight and the media jumped on it. The "Frank Mir claims he tested positive due to tainted kangaroo meat" headlines just made the whole situation absurd enough now that nobody is ever going to believe him though.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
anubis0713
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#142 » by anubis0713 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 am

REDDzone wrote:Its just funny but despite Mir being one of my favorite fighters, I've always sort of suspected him of PED use (the TRT, the Drysdale connection, etc.). That said, his last interview with Ariel did have me questioning his positive test a little bit. Just the timelines he was giving in terms of his passed tests, his failed test, vs how long the drug stays in your system. The way it was framed by him is that basically he would have only been able to juice for like one day. IDK the details are fuzzy but its worth the listen. I think the kangaroo meat thing is some comment he made on his podcast where he was just going through his diet, etc. leading up to the fight and the media jumped on it. The "Frank Mir claims he tested positive due to tainted kangaroo meat" headlines just made the whole situation absurd enough now that nobody is ever going to believe him though.

The issue with his Kangaroo meat story is it isn't farmed. So unless there is a secret illegal steroid trade going on in the kangaroo population that we don't know about it was a silly thing to say.

Now if he had of come out and said I look like a mini big country this makes no sense, I ain't ripped people may have agreed with him.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#143 » by Jasen777 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Jon Jones, Brock Lesnar facing potential shorter suspensions from USADA

According to the United States Anti-Doping Agency's policy, both fighters are facing a maximum one-year suspension for their recent failed drug tests, not the usual two-year ban.

The reason for the shorter suspension is because the banned substances the pair tested positive for -- Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogenic agent, as well the Letrozole metabolite, an aromatase inhibitor, which was only found in Jones' system -- are considered "specified substances" under the World Anti-Doping Agency Code.

Per the WADA Code, "there is a greater likelihood that these (specified) substances could be susceptible to a credible non-doping explanation." When it comes to specified substances, the WADA Code recognizes that it is possible for a prohibited substance to enter an athlete's body inadvertently, "and therefore allow a tribunal more flexibility when making a sanctioning decision."

Important to note that if an athlete is found with a specified substance in his or her system, they could receive as little as a public warning, and if the athlete chooses not to accept the sanction from the USADA, they have the right to go to arbitration, which is normally overseen by the American Arbitration Association, a group independent of USADA. The fighter also has the choice between a single arbitrator, or a three person panel to oversee the case.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#144 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 pm

anubis0713 wrote:
The issue with his Kangaroo meat story is it isn't farmed. So unless there is a secret illegal steroid trade going on in the kangaroo population that we don't know about it was a silly thing to say.

Now if he had of come out and said I look like a mini big country this makes no sense, I ain't ripped people may have agreed with him.

He didn't claim it was the kangaroo meat that made him test positive, though, from my understanding.

He just threw it out there as something exotic that he ate that wasn't a normal part of his diet.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#145 » by Headliner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:14 pm

So Rory was on Ariels show and dropped a doozy, saying that he heard from reliable sources that Robbie Lawler had popped for four times the legal limit you are allowed to pop for prior to his fight.
He said he thinks there's truth to it, and the history of that camp makes it more likely.

I've long been a believer that Lawler and Hendrix are huge juicers, so I'm not shocked.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Post#146 » by CPT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Headliner wrote:So Rory was on Ariels show and dropped a doozy, saying that he heard from reliable sources that Robbie Lawler had popped for four times the legal limit you are allowed to pop for prior to his fight.
He said he thinks there's truth to it, and the history of that camp makes it more likely.

I've long been a believer that Lawler and Hendrix are huge juicers, so I'm not shocked.

What's the implication there? Robbie popped and it was covered up to save the fight?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#147 » by Cammo101 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:56 pm

CPT wrote:
Headliner wrote:So Rory was on Ariels show and dropped a doozy, saying that he heard from reliable sources that Robbie Lawler had popped for four times the legal limit you are allowed to pop for prior to his fight.

What's the implication there? Robbie popped and it was covered up to save the fight?

Not buying that. If the UFC were going to do something like this, they would have done it at UFC 200 for Jones. Lawler vs. Rory is not a big enough fight for them to consider something like this IMO.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by CPT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
CPT wrote:

Not buying that. If the UFC were going to do something like this, they would have done it at UFC 200 for Jones. Lawler vs. Rory is not a big enough fight for them to consider something like this IMO.

That's what I'm saying too. Seems irresponsible of Rory to throw that out there on hearsay, but if he really believes it, I guess that's his prerogative.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#149 » by Cammo101 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:11 pm

CPT wrote:That's what I'm saying too. Seems irresponsible of Rory to throw that out there on hearsay, but if he really believes it, I guess that's his prerogative.

Not surprisingly, he started saying stuff like this the minute the UFC wasn't cutting him checks. Smells like sour grapes to me.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by Headliner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20 pm

“Some [of Robbie’s] test results came out four times higher than the limit for my fight with him,” MacDonald said, pulling no punches, and reassuring Helwani that this information came from a reliable source. “Like I said, it could be bull, but we have to look into it. I don’t want to start pointing fingers or anything, but look at that team’s history. It makes me very suspicious.”
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#151 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:25 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Not buying that. If the UFC were going to do something like this, they would have done it at UFC 200 for Jones. Lawler vs. Rory is not a big enough fight for them to consider something like this IMO.

To be fair, they already did this for Belfort, right? Why not their WW champ if they did it for Vitor?

Not saying I believe it, I just don't buy into your logic. Bold claims like this require a higher standard of evidence, and it doesn't sound like there is much evidence. Its why I don't buy into the fight fixing claims lobbied against bellator.

I didn't listen yet but tbh Rory should probably name his source or stfu.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#152 » by REDDzone » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Okay, a little digging, now this is interesting:

Robbie's USADA labs:

Taken from this twitter:
Read on Twitter

Reddit thread discussing possible reasons his levels were off:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/4vdh46/lawlers_test_data_from_ufc_189/
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#153 » by CPT » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 pm

I don't understand that stuff as well as I thought. That doesn't look good though.

What are the chances that Rory's source is that reddit thread? 80%?
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Headliner » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:30 pm

CPT wrote:I don't understand that stuff as well as I thought. That doesn't look good though.

What are the chances that Rory's source is that reddit thread? 80%?

Im betting GSP knows a lot of people in that world. He's been the biggest anti-doping advocate in the UFC, and he and Rory train together. I wouldn't be surprised if GSP may have someone who might know a thing or two giving them so details.

All speculation of course.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#155 » by Jasen777 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Well i know a little about the T/E ratio, that is a suspiciously high one, but allowable under most testing programs. Don't know LH thing, was the fight before USADA UFC testing, or the have a different requirement than WADA?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#156 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 pm

I read it was before USADA but didn't look a ton into it.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#157 » by Jasen777 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Lyoto Machida suspended 18 months by USADA for UFC anti-doping violation

USADA suspended the former UFC light heavyweight champion for 18 months due to a UFC anti-doping violation, it was announced Wednesday. The suspension is retroactive to April 8, 2016, so Machida will be eligible to compete again in October 2017.

The popular Brazilian fighter declared his usage of a product containing the banned substance 7-keto-dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a steroid, during that sample collection back in April. Machida confirmed use of the product and said he did not know it contained a prohibited drug. The substance 7-keto-DHEA was listed as an ingredient, so it was not a tainted supplement situation.

USADA tested Machida's sample and it came back with an elevated 7β-hydroxy-DHEA to DHEA ratio, per the release. USADA said that Machida's admission of the substance and his cooperation in the investigation allowed for the reduction of a two-year suspension to 18 months.

The substance 7-keto-DHEA increases metabolism, weight loss, and has anti-aging effects.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by CPT » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:57 pm

God dammit.

Machida used to be the captain of the "if this guy's doping, I don't know what to believe" team.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#159 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:19 pm

So Machida took a substances knowingly but didn't know it was on the banned list until they were about to test his sample? Is that the correct timeline?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#160 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:01 pm

Brock Lesnar suspended by USADA for one year in doping case

The former UFC heavyweight champion was suspended one year by USADA for failing two drug tests in relation to UFC 200 in July, the UFC’s anti-doping partner announced Wednesday in a press release. Lesnar is eligible to return to the Octagon on July 15, 2017, one year after his provisional USADA suspension began.

Lesnar, 39, tested positive for clomiphene and its metabolite, 4-hydroxyclomiphene, in an out-of-competition drug test June 28 and in-competition test on fight night, July 9. One year was the maximum sanction Lesnar was going to receive under the UFC’s anti-doping policy due to the nature of the drug.

Lesnar was also suspended one year and handed a $250,000 fine by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) last month. He defeated Mark Hunt by unanimous decision at UFC 200, but the result was overturned to a no contest by the NAC, which shared jurisdiction in the case with USADA.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts