Image Image Image Image

2016/17 College Prospects

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

2016/17 College Prospects 

Post#1 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:26 am

College football starts soon so I thought it was time to start discussing potential draft picks.

It seems as though the Bears are still lacking a significant amount of talent and depth. On defense our front seven still has holes, we still pack a starting CB, and it is unclear if we were able to get a good starting safety next to Amos (Bush seems like he'll be good though). In offense, our o-line was terrible in the first game (didn't see the second), we might have to replace Alshon, I don't think the FO has a lot of confidence in Langford being a long term starter since they wanted to add another RB, and it's about time to draft a Cutler replacement.

There are some thing I think will improve as the season goes on, though. I believe that Bullardgiving eventually be the starter (and play very well) wilh Hicks and Goldman giving a good starting front seven but we'd still pack depth. Our o-line could improve once they start getting used to Larsen, who played well in game one.

Basically, every position could be considered a priority outside of safety. Here's how I think the Bears will prioritize their needs:

CB
RB
OL
QB
FRONT SEVEN
WR
S
patryk7754
General Manager

Re: 2016/17 College Prospects 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:27 am

Two guys that stand out to me the most are Jabril Peppers and Leonard Fournette

The obvious one is Fournette. The FO seemed to desperately want Elliot so I can't imagine them not wanting Fournette even more. Problem is, since Elliot went 4th in a pretty good draft I doubt we are bad enough to draft him. He looks very similar to Adrain Peterson. I think he's a top 5 pick and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went number 1 depending on the team.

Peppers has a lot of versatility. He can play safety and corner. Also he's played offense with a lot of success and I believe he returned kicks as well. His versatility reminds me of Patrick Peterson's (although he's not as good). I think there's a chance of getting him if we're picking around the 10th spot.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#3 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 am

Here's the man I think will go number one. This dude is a monster. He has the quickest jump off the ball I've ever seen on a highlight tape. Before I knew the video even started he was in the backfield. He destroyed Cam Robinson last season and he'a considered the best O-lineman. Clearly he's out of our range (hopefully).
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#4 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:56 am

I think the top candidates for us in the first are Juju Smith, Jalen Tabor, Desmond King, Brad Kaaya, and Roderick Johnson. I think we will be picking in the middle of the round and I believe that at least two or three of these guys will be there. My top two are Tabor and Juju.

Tabor would fill a huge need for us in the secondary and if he plays the same way as a number one CB as he did as a number two then he will be something special. He has great ball skills and is a good tackler. He always knows where the ball is. A key match up will be when the Gators play Alabama where Tabor would most likely be matched up against Calvin Ridley, who is probably the best WR in college.

Watch on mute

Juju is interesting because he could potentially replace Alshon. However, even if we do retain Jeffery I wouldn't mind taking Juju in the first. I think he compliments Cutler perfectly. He's great at catching the ball in traffic, which is critical with Jay since that's where he'd most likely throw the ball. Also, with his speed and physicality, Juju is great at making short catches into huge gains. This is also important because Cutler is at his best while short passes because he has less time to make a bad decision.

patryk7754
General Manager

Post#5 » by patryk7754 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:13 am

My very early mock draft. I don't even know how many picks we have but who care.

RD 1: Jalen Tabor, CB: Best corner in the draft and possibly our biggest need.

RD 2: Dalvin Cook, RB: Unless the Bears add a RB in free agency I think they'll try to get a RB early. Cook carried FSU in a ridiculous way. He can run in or outside. He's hard to bring down because of his solid lower body and he's fast. Behind and less than awesome oline and not so great QB play, Cook average 7.4 YPC, 1,691 yards, and 19 TDs.

RD 3: David Sharpe, OT: It's pretty obvious that the Bears oline needs some work. Sharpe has played both tackle positions for Florida. He is a guy whose stock may rise if he shows some improvement as a pass blocker. Right now, I think he's worthy of a 3rd.

RD 4: Baker Mayfield, QB: Him dropping to the 4th is a bit optimistic but I think there's a chance he drops because of the lack of success Oklahoma has seen recently. He has a lot of potential and will most likely be a Heisman candidate.

RD 5: Front seven: We still lack depth in the front seven. We can draft for any position.

RD 6: WR: Picking a WR this late most likely we kept Alhson. That doesn't change the fact that our WRs are injuy prone. We could use a guy who can stay on the field.

RD 7: TE: Miller is old and if this draft is the same a last years that means TEs won't be that high on anyone's list. That could mean a nice talent drops/
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#6 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:58 am

Watched the Michigan game yesterday. Their QB looked great. He's somewhere around 6'6 245lbs and he was making some beautiful passes. This was the first time I watched a college QB who isn't getting publicity and was just amazed by his passing. This is the first time I've seen him so idk how common this is and he did play a team I believe went winless last season so it might just be a one time thing. Nevertheless, Speith is someone to keep an eye on.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 am

Devin Cook is off to a crazy good start so he might go in the first. Hopefully we drafted a Thomas Rawls or Devontea Freeman in Howard so it wouldn't even matter
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: RE: 2016/17 College Prospects 

Post#8 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:49 pm

patryk7754 wrote:College football starts soon so I thought it was time to start discussing potential draft picks.

It seems as though the Bears are still lacking a significant amount of talent and depth. On defense our front seven still has holes, we still pack a starting CB, and it is unclear if we were able to get a good starting safety next to Amos (Bush seems like he'll be good though). In offense, our o-line was terrible in the first game (didn't see the second), we might have to replace Alshon, I don't think the FO has a lot of confidence in Langford being a long term starter since they wanted to add another RB, and it's about time to draft a Cutler replacement.

There are some thing I think will improve as the season goes on, though. I believe that Bullardgiving eventually be the starter (and play very well) wilh Hicks and Goldman giving a good starting front seven but we'd still pack depth. Our o-line could improve once they start getting used to Larsen, who played well in game one.

Basically, every position could be considered a priority outside of safety. Here's how I think the Bears will prioritize their needs:

CB
RB
OL
QB
FRONT SEVEN
WR
S

I think we have tremendous LB depth this year and going into the future

Floyd, Jones, Acho
Trevathan, Kwiatkowski, Jones
Freeman, Anderson, Jones
McPhee, Houston, Jones

Two good speed rushers in Floyd and Jones. I think Jones also has the flexibility to play any LB position, especially since fox and Fangio have both said so.

Two good power rushers and edge setters in McPhee and Houston. Both can get down in a 3 point stance in a 4 man front as well, and even go inside on the line.

Two of the best all all round traditional linebackers in the game in Trevathan and Freeman. Kwiatkowski and Anderson are in that same traditional all around mold too, and Fangio always does a great job of developing thelse guys. Kwiatkowski reminds me a lot of the guy from Wisconsin that played in SF. And like I said I think Jones provides good depth here too.

Acho is a reliable veteran who can do a solid job on the edge and is good on special teams.

As for everything else you said, I pretty much agree.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:05 pm

I think our biggest need will be corner. Fuller is a first rounder, and Porter has always been good, but everyone else is mid to late picks or even undrafted. We need to add talent to this position to push Fuller and possibly replace an aging Porter.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:08 pm

With Sitton and Long we clearly have the best Guard combo in the league.

Then we have Grasu and Whitehair who will battle for this starting Center job in the future once Grasu is healthy again. Whoever loses will be good depth with Larsen on the inside.

I like Leno and Massie, but Leno still needs to improve and Massie has been inconsistent throughout his career as a pass blocker. We even if it's just for depth, I think we need to get someone in the middle of the draft at least to play behind these two if not replace one.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:15 pm

If there was a draft today I'd say our biggest needs are

CB

DL (McPhee and Houston will probably be used on the line a bit, and this year we'll finally get to see if Cornelius Washington is worth keeping around. But we need more depth behind Bullard, Goldman and Hicks.)

OT

TE, Safety and RB at about equal priority

Connor Shaw looked nice,but with a compound leg fracture and the importance of the QB position, but as well see if you can grab someone that ends up at least being a decent backup at QB.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#12 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Myles Garrett

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#13 » by patryk7754 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:45 pm

City of Trees wrote:Myles Garrett

The thing about Myles Garrett is that he'd probably make Flyod a wasted pick
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 College Prospects 

Post#14 » by City of Trees » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:40 pm

patryk7754 wrote:

I don't think so. Not sure if Garrett could play DE in a 3-4 but even if he can't I would love to see Floyd and Garrett lined up at OLB on a passing down.

patryk7754
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 College Prospects 

Post#15 » by patryk7754 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 pm

City of Trees wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:

I don't think so. Not sure if Garrett could play DE in a 3-4 but even if he can't I would love to see Floyd and Garrett lined up at OLB on a passing down.

Would you have floyd or mcphee come off the bench. I'd have floyd but like I was saying having a top ten pick be a situational guy can be a waste
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 pm

I'd love to play Garrett at DE.. looks to have the size and strength.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#17 » by City of Trees » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Mcphee- Hicks-Goldman-Garrett-Floyd

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 pm

I think McPhee would be better suited as a DE in 3-4 than Garrett. More massive and powerful, but not as athletic as Garrett.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#19 » by City of Trees » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Agreed, McPhee has a lot of stiffness when he moves.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:45 pm

My quarterback for this coming draft is Luke Falk from Washington State. 6-4 205lb Junior.

Freshman year
64% 1859yds 13td 7int

Sophomore year
69% 4561yds 38td 8int (most accurate QB in college I'm pretty sure)

This year
74% 1124yds 11td 2int

His big wins last year were Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, Miami. Lost to Stanford by 2 but had a good performance.

https://youtu.be/c8gD1BqwbT0

I like the receiver he keeps going to as well, Marks.

Return to Chicago Bears