[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Re: 2016 Offseason (Free Agency, Draft, Training Camp) 

Post#61 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Galette tore his Achilles, done for the year. Huge, huge huge blow.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Galette tore his Achilles, done for the year. Huge, huge huge blow.

Man, that's horrible. He seemed so excited to finally get back on the football field and prove he's one of the top pass-rushers in the NFL. The people following the team were predicting a huge year from him.

For the Skins, it means Preston Smith can't be moved around as much as I'm sure they were planning. Smith takes over as the every down OLBer opposite Kerrigan. He's got to stay healthy and get double digit sacks. And they need to add an OLBer to the roster for depth.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#63 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Galette tore his Achilles, done for the year. Huge, huge huge blow.

Again? Is it the same one? If it is, he might be done. Too bad.

Ruzious wrote:For the Skins, it means Preston Smith can't be moved around as much as I'm sure they were planning. Smith takes over as the every down OLBer opposite Kerrigan. He's got to stay healthy and get double digit sacks. And they need to add an OLBer to the roster for depth.

Agree that it puts the spotlight on Smith. Also makes me wonder if they'll regret spending the offseason making Trent Murphy a down lineman. Not saying he'd be the savior at OLB, but at least he'd be depth. Let's see who they sign.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:55 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Again? Is it the same one? If it is, he might be done. Too bad.

Ruzious wrote:For the Skins, it means Preston Smith can't be moved around as much as I'm sure they were planning. Smith takes over as the every down OLBer opposite Kerrigan. He's got to stay healthy and get double digit sacks. And they need to add an OLBer to the roster for depth.

Agree that it puts the spotlight on Smith. Also makes me wonder if they'll regret spending the offseason making Trent Murphy a down lineman. Not saying he'd be the savior at OLB, but at least he'd be depth. Let's see who they sign.

Apparently, it's the other achilles. So, there's a chance he can come back next year - and he's got a whole year to rehab, but mentally - I can't imagine coming back a second time. He's certainly going to lose millions of dollars that he potentially could have made. He might lose all of his 2016 salary. Only 1 mil was base salary, and the Skins might not be on the hook for it, because the injury occurred before training camp. I hope the Skins voluntarily pay him that.

I think part of the reason they moved Murphy was because they didn't think he could contribute at a high level at OLB. He just wasn't quick/fast enough.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#65 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Yep it's the other one, hard to come back from two Achilles tears if you're a pass rusher.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#66 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Training camp officially kicks off today! :football: A few roster notes going into Day 1:

Signed
WR Kendal Thompson
WR T.J. Thorpe
WR Dez Stewart

Waived/Released
S Kysheon Jarrett
LB Adam Hayward

PUP List
TE Derek Carrier
WR Josh Doctson
WR Reggie Diggs
G Shaun Lauvao
LB Perry Riley Jr.

Injured Reserve
LB Junior Gallette

Get the camp schedule and follow the rest of the action here: http://www.redskins.com/schedule/training-camp/index.html

Oh yeah! Football is back, baby! :clap:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#67 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:17 pm

If this is the most controversial thing that happens this offseason, it'll be a nice break from the past few years.

Outspoken Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman defended his decision to join Fox Sports' NFL coverage this season as a contributor, saying "it made sense" to expand his career outside of football.

"It's my off time. I can do whatever I choose," Norman said in an interview with ESPN's Dianna Russini. "I'm around my horse all the time, nobody says anything about that. Everybody [is] like, 'Ohh great.'"

<snip>

"We are not even shooting Sundays," Norman emphasized to ESPN. "Let's get it together: We are not shooting, we are playing football. This is pre-taped before, obviously; I'll go to [the] studio once or twice. It's in my bye week.

"I play football. I'm a football player. I have a job playing football. This is something I do in my off time. It's cool. I'm appreciative of my team and organization. They obviously knew about it [and] had to sign off on it."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17259839/josh-norman-washington-redskins-season-tv-gig-made-sense-expand-my-career
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:21 pm

LyricalRico wrote:If this is the most controversial thing that happens this offseason, it'll be a nice break from the past few years.

Outspoken Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman defended his decision to join Fox Sports' NFL coverage this season as a contributor, saying "it made sense" to expand his career outside of football.

"It's my off time. I can do whatever I choose," Norman said in an interview with ESPN's Dianna Russini. "I'm around my horse all the time, nobody says anything about that. Everybody [is] like, 'Ohh great.'"

<snip>

"We are not even shooting Sundays," Norman emphasized to ESPN. "Let's get it together: We are not shooting, we are playing football. This is pre-taped before, obviously; I'll go to [the] studio once or twice. It's in my bye week.

"I play football. I'm a football player. I have a job playing football. This is something I do in my off time. It's cool. I'm appreciative of my team and organization. They obviously knew about it [and] had to sign off on it."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17259839/josh-norman-washington-redskins-season-tv-gig-made-sense-expand-my-career

Kinda weird that some media folks have made a big deal about this. Maybe because it's a national show? Players have been appearing on local shows on a regular basis for many years - probably decades. Norman's not doing anything wrong.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:31 pm

So who's going to shine in the pass rush? I'm guessing Houston Bates has a big game.

Nate Sudfeld should get a lot of playing time, but um... from what I've heard, he's nowhere near ready.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#70 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:So who's going to shine in the pass rush? I'm guessing Houston Bates has a big game.

Nate Sudfeld should get a lot of playing time, but um... from what I've heard, he's nowhere near ready.

I keep forgetting about Sudfeld because every time I see his name, I think he's the long snapper. His name is too close to Nick Sundberg! :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Hopefully Sudfeld is at least good enough so that they don't feel like they have to keep Colt McCoy on the field most of the game. We already know what Colt can do. Otoh, we want the young WR's to have a chance to show what they got out there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 am

Still no running game. The big 3 of Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, and Keith Marshall combined for 6 carries and minus 1 yards. Yes, it's a small sample size, but... it sucks.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#73 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:01 pm

The running game looks bad, like really bad. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Alfred Morris get his career back on track in Dallas this year. Either it's the wrong system, or the wrong players for the system. But barring some serious improvement over the nxt couple preseason games, I'm expecting us to be towards the bottom of the league in rushing this year.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#74 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Washington trades for the Patriots ex-starting center, Bryan Stork.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000689593/article/patriots-trade-former-starting-center-bryan-stork

Can he beat out Lichtensteiger for the starting job? Does this potentially help the running game?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#75 » by AFM » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:59 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Washington trades for the Patriots ex-starting center, Bryan Stork.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000689593/article/patriots-trade-former-starting-center-bryan-stork

Can he beat out Lichtensteiger for the starting job? Does this potentially help the running game?

There's a decent chance he retires.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#76 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:58 pm

AFM wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Washington trades for the Patriots ex-starting center, Bryan Stork.

There's a decent chance he retires.

Yeah, I just heard that on the radio today. LOL But at least the pick is conditional, so nothing's lost if he does.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Too bad if he retires. He seems like a Scot McCloughan kind of player - even kinda looks like him.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#78 » by TGW » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 am

Cousins with some boneheaded decision vs. the Bills defense. 2 INTS (one that got called back luckily) and a bunch of failed possessions against the Bills first team defense. This doesn't bode well for the regular season if he looks like he did tonight.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#79 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:45 pm

TGW wrote:Cousins with some boneheaded decision vs. the Bills defense. 2 INTS (one that got called back luckily) and a bunch of failed possessions against the Bills first team defense. This doesn't bode well for the regular season if he looks like he did tonight.

There were also a few drops and a ton of offensive penalties, so it's more like the entire offense was rusty. I'm not overly cncerned about Cousins specifically. He was still making plays.

Still, it would be better if this had happened last week, and then they could have used last night to find a rhythm. At least the running game looked better, though. Matt Jones might need to be worried.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#80 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Looks like Skins are looking for D-line help:

Not sure if this is out there yet or not, but the Redskins are working out former Packer and giant Cullen Jenkins according to a source.

— Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) August 29, 2016

Here's another guy I think they should look at:

(Paul) Kruger was let go by the Browns as part of their roster downsizing to 75 players, the team announced. A Cleveland.com report stresses that Kruger's cut was performance-related and that he was not a casualty in the Browns' "youth movement."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691945/article/report-browns-release-pass-rusher-paul-kruger

Return to Washington Football Team