All Advertising Questions

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#261 » by King of Canada » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:08 pm

There are some new ads that play very loud music or audio in general, and they're very annoying. There isn't a button to stop them unless you click on the ad, which is BS. I was successful pausing one by right clicking and being offered a pause option, but it does not seem to be available all the time. To add to the annoyance of the ads they seem to be on a delay. I have my headphones on all day at work. I'll be on RealGM but will just have the window open while doing other tags when all of a sudden (10 or 20 mins after refreshing the site) there is very loud music out of nowhere. It's not even like other sites where there is an obvious video. It seems to be coming from the small-ish ads in the upper right. Just thought I'd pass this along.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,161

Post#262 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 am

Whatever new ad is at the top of the main screen is killing me. It loads on a delay so just as I click the forum button, the screen always jumps and I end up clicking the Soccer link instead. Why would you subject me to the freakin' soccer page??? More than anything it is a time annoyance. I guess I could just bookmark a direct link to the forums but I figured this might be an annoyance for others as well.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
mikestar
Junior
And1: 105

Post#263 » by mikestar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:18 pm

The mobile experience is absolutely BRUTAL.
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#264 » by geminiz » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:32 pm

mikestar wrote:The mobile experience is absolutely BRUTAL.

The advertisement in mobile version is straight up scam and illegal (full screen pop up with fake "security/virus infection warning" scam).
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#265 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Is anyone else still having problems?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#266 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Is anyone still having problems?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Melwing
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#267 » by Melwing » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 pm

These new damn-near fullscreen video ads at the top of every article the past few days have me looking at getting out of the habit of coming here, after 10+ years.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#268 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:04 pm

My connection is too slow for them --- rural America
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,998

Post#269 » by eyeatoma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 pm

I have no idea why you guys have a draft kings video on auto play every time I visit realgm now... This is the first time I've encountered such an obtrusive ad on the site. Definitely annoying and needs to be fixed, otherwise, I could see myself lower my number of visits to the site.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#270 » by CR Reina » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 am

This is a temporary campaign that will be removed within a few days. It is the first time we've ever run a video with automatic sound and we excluded the forums from it to make sure it didn't interfere with your experience here.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,998

Post#271 » by eyeatoma » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am

Cool, thanks for the quick response... Appreciate it...
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,218

Post#272 » by Scase » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:51 am

The campaign was an awful idea then, instead of you getting any sort of ad revenue from something smaller and NOT a video, I've blocked it entirely.

I don't feel it takes a load of common sense to figure an ad of that size AND a video that auto plays to top it off was a bad idea.
Props TZ!
Melwing
Sophomore

Post#273 » by Melwing » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:58 am

CR Reina wrote:This is a temporary campaign that will be removed within a few days. It is the first time we've ever run a video with automatic sound and we excluded the forums from it to make sure it didn't interfere with your experience here.

I'm not a whiner about ads, but - well... *whine*. Awful choice, hope it got you some nice coin but not good enough to do it again. :banghead:
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#274 » by PRESTIGE » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:07 am

I've logged in just to post about that Draft Kings ad. A huge video that autoplays when I'm attempting to read an article? I am shocked that something like this has appeared on RealGM. Its something I expect more from Bleacher Report or other click bait sites. I've actually stopped clicking the wiretaps because of it. I've had to manually block the element, which I rarely do.
AustinCarr61
Junior
And1: 224

Post#275 » by AustinCarr61 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Melwing wrote:These new damn-near fullscreen video ads at the top of every article the past few days have me looking at getting out of the habit of coming here, after 10+ years.

Would +1 this 1000 times if I could
Melwing
Sophomore

Post#276 » by Melwing » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Evading the language filter
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:09 pm

I stopped going to anything but the forums. That was terrible. Now I can go get my news again. In the meanwhile, I found a couple of other decent sources for news. One more episode like this and I'll probably switch over to another source (but until this happens in the forums, I'll still go there everyday).
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#278 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Sep 1, 2016 12:36 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:I stopped going to anything but the forums. That was terrible. Now I can go get my news again. In the meanwhile, I found a couple of other decent sources for news. One more episode like this and I'll probably switch over to another source (but until this happens in the forums, I'll still go there everyday).

If you are using a PC, I will tell you the trick to stopping Advertisements and popups. This will make RealGM no different than the simple websites with no sound ads or anything.

1) Use Mozilla Firefox
2) Install Bluehell Firewall (This is a free Popup blocker for Firefox download)
3) Disable Flash on Firefox
4) Disable Java on Firefox.

Boom. You got simple quick RealGM access without popups or sound ads. Now, if you need to visit other websites that use flash, I just use Chrome for those sites.

Also, this technique will stop you from obtaining most Virus's and Spyware/AdWare.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Melwing
Sophomore

Post#279 » by Melwing » Thu Sep 1, 2016 2:45 pm

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 1, 2016 3:26 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I stopped going to anything but the forums. That was terrible. Now I can go get my news again. In the meanwhile, I found a couple of other decent sources for news. One more episode like this and I'll probably switch over to another source (but until this happens in the forums, I'll still go there everyday).

If you are using a PC, I will tell you the trick to stopping Advertisements and popups. This will make RealGM no different than the simple websites with no sound ads or anything.

1) Use Mozilla Firefox
2) Install Bluehell Firewall (This is a free Popup blocker for Firefox download)
3) Disable Flash on Firefox
4) Disable Java on Firefox.

Boom. You got simple quick RealGM access without popups or sound ads. Now, if you need to visit other websites that use flash, I just use Chrome for those sites.

Also, this technique will stop you from obtaining most Virus's and Spyware/AdWare.

Thanks - I will do that. I live rural and just have a DSL, so speed is not so hot. My smart phone is better, but we don't have service at home, so ...

Return to Feedback and Suggestions