Re: Official Arsenal FC Thread 3.0 

Post#1481 » by Fury » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 pm

He's better than Lacazette
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#1482 » by The_Brecht » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:25 am

Henry is now an assistant for Martinez with Belgium!

I love it!
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#1483 » by Foye » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am

Fury wrote:He's better than Lacazette

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#1484 » by MaliBrah » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:15 am

Lacazette is better but Lacazette for 60m is just crazy.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#1485 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 am

Great performance in the first half, some real quality play from Arsenal.
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1486 » by NYCLaker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Wenger should of really went all out for Kante this past summer, rather than buy Xhaka. I know kante isn't great poss player, but watching Chelsea play now, makes you wonder how great Arsenal could of been having Kante as their DM.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1487 » by HIF » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:13 pm

NYCLaker wrote:Wenger should of really went all out for Kante this past summer, rather than buy Xhaka. I know kante isn't great poss player, but watching Chelsea play now, makes you wonder how great Arsenal could of been having Kante as their DM.

Why isn't kanté a great possession player?

Everyone should have gone for him. conté should have been looked into for tapping him up during the Euros. Leicester were stupid to let him go.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#1488 » by HIF » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Of course the other point is that Arsenal hasn't the pull of Chelsea at the moment. Arsenal are more in the second tier of English destinations if we're honest.

Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#1489 » by Matty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:05 pm

HIF wrote:Of course the other point is that Arsenal hasn't the pull of Chelsea at the moment. Arsenal are more in the second tier of English destinations if we're honest.

Arsenal is not a 2nd tier club, it's very much up there, for now at least. Certainly the profits they generate suggest they are. The problem is they operate with a small club mentality, so another decade of this piss poor management and the fans will soon be singing the miserable YNWA tunes as well.

Wenger has ruined his own reputation as a manager with zero ambition and I think players are thinking twice about joining the club, but if he ever leaves and a guy like Simeone as an example is brought in, you will see top-notch players all flocking to play for Arsenal.

This is Wenger's final year, and if an extension is given to him you can make the argument that this club will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future and that will affect their global stock.

When Leicester can grab Slimani and the best Arsenal can get is Perez it does make you wonder if it hasn't already been affected.
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1490 » by MaliBrah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 pm

HIF wrote:Of course the other point is that Arsenal hasn't the pull of Chelsea at the moment. Arsenal are more in the second tier of English destinations if we're honest.

what does that have to do with anything? Arsenal didn't make an offer for Kante. You just have to stick in a shot at arsenal any chance you can get one.

kante is a great player but we needed a different type because we already have a player similar to kante in coquelin (who's obviously not as good).
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1491 » by MaliBrah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Matty wrote:

Arsenal is not a 2nd tier club, it's very much up there, for now at least. Certainly the profits they generate suggest they are. The problem is they operate with a small club mentality, so another decade of this piss poor management and the fans will soon be singing the miserable YNWA tunes as well.

Wenger has ruined his own reputation as a manager with zero ambition and I think players are thinking twice about joining the club, but if he ever leaves and a guy like Simeone as an example is brought in, you will see top-notch players all flocking to play for Arsenal.

This is Wenger's final year, and if an extension is given to him you can make the argument that this club will be stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future and that will affect their global stock.

When Leicester can grab Slimani and the best Arsenal can get is Perez it does make you wonder if it hasn't already been affected.

I whole heartedly agree but Slimani isn't exactly Ibra tbh. Getting a striker these days isn't easy when the likes of Morata and Lacazette are being quoted at 60M pounds
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1492 » by MaliBrah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:53 pm

NYCLaker wrote:Wenger should of really went all out for Kante this past summer, rather than buy Xhaka. I know kante isn't great poss player, but watching Chelsea play now, makes you wonder how great Arsenal could of been having Kante as their DM.

Arsenal looked just as good this weekend with Xhaka at dm.... just wait for the strength of schedule to balance out and for the season to continue before we say this or that should have happened.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#1493 » by kdawg32086 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:25 am

LOL, Arsenal is definitely not a second tier destination. A hugely profitable large club, with a long-term record of accomplishment, located in the biggest city in England? Definitely a top tier destination.

The reason players aren't coming in isn't because they see it as a second tier club. It's because they're not willing to pay those players the competitive wages that other big clubs are willing to pay. If they were paying as much as City, Chelsea, and United were...then they would consistently be bringing in the same caliber of player.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1494 » by HIF » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:04 am

kdawg32086 wrote:LOL, Arsenal is definitely not a second tier destination. A hugely profitable large club, with a long-term record of accomplishment, located in the biggest city in England? Definitely a top tier destination.

The reason players aren't coming in isn't because they see it as a second tier club. It's because they're not willing to pay those players the competitive wages that other big clubs are willing to pay. If they were paying as much as City, Chelsea, and United were...then they would consistently be bringing in the same caliber of player.

Which makes it a second tier destination.

Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea are the first tier destinations in England at the moment. They get moreorless whoever they want and players want to go there - even though 2 of them are not in the CL!

That doesn't mean that Arsenal are not a great club or hugely desirable but the proof is in the pudding.

HIF
RealGM

Post#1495 » by HIF » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:09 am

MaliBrah wrote:

what does that have to do with anything? Arsenal didn't make an offer for Kante. You just have to stick in a shot at arsenal any chance you can get one.

kante is a great player but we needed a different type because we already have a player similar to kante in coquelin (who's obviously not as good).

Don't get so defensive. I replied to a comment here about Kanté not going to Arsenal. It's not a "shot" at Arsenal. Arsenal are a great club but they don't have the pulling power of the 2 Manchester teams or Chelsea at the moment. It surprised me how many people turned Arsenal down this off-season. I commented because I know about Kanté not to have a go at Arsenal.

And to say you don't need Kanté is a bit stupid. All clubs need the best players if they are going to win. Kanté would have made you better if he wanted to go to Arsenal you would have snapped him up. Wenger said so himself on French TV during the Euros.

Chelsea got him and he has transformed them, he could have done the same for Arsenal.

Little Leicester were the losers.

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#1496 » by El Turco » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 am

arsenal definitely a second tier club at the moment. no title over a decade, hasnt even been a serious contender for a while finishing seven of last eight seasons double digit points behind the winners. never a serious contender for champions league, 6 straight years cant make it past round of 16. doesnt pay top wages. has been on the market for a top striker for years and could only settle for players like lucas friggin perez, while top strikers like higuain, ibra, suarez, costa, cavani all became available and switched teams.

arsenal could become a top tier team if it was managed correctly, but making all that money is useless if you dont know how to use it and achieve sporting success.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#1497 » by El Turco » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:43 am

HIF wrote:
MaliBrah wrote:

Don't get so defensive. I replied to a comment here about Kanté not going to Arsenal. It's not a "shot" at Arsenal. Arsenal are a great club but they don't have the pulling power of the 2 Manchester teams or Chelsea at the moment. It surprised me how many people turned Arsenal down this off-season. I commented because I know about Kanté not to have a go at Arsenal.

And to say you don't need Kanté is a bit stupid. All clubs need the best players if they are going to win. Kanté would have made you better if he wanted to go to Arsenal you would have snapped him up. Wenger said so himself on French TV during the Euros.

Chelsea got him and he has transformed them, he could have done the same for Arsenal.

hate to agree with you but saying you dont need kante because you have coquelin is like sayin you dont need messi because you have walcott
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1498 » by HIF » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 am

Arda K wrote:
HIF wrote:
MaliBrah wrote:what does that have to do with anything? Arsenal didn't make an offer for Kante. You just have to stick in a shot at arsenal any chance you can get one.

hate to agree with you but saying you dont need kante because you have coquelin is like sayin you dont need messi because you have walcott

:lol:

or more accurately you don't need Mahrez because you have walcott. :D

MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1499 » by MaliBrah » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Or you don't need kante when you can buy a player better suited to what you need.

I'm already sick of watching teams let coquelin have the ball and parking the bus , I'd want a player more adept in possession than Kante. Especially when you have a manager that's as limited as we do now.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Post#1500 » by Fury » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Arsenal aren't a second tier club. They charge the most and make a ton. They've spent more than it seems. The thing is, Arsene is strict about the wage structure and he doesn't want to pay dudes like Mkhiraryan more than Ozil or Sanchez and start a trend. He expects the market to come back down. But these agents are getting huge wages and fees from the three obscene teams in Chelsea man city and Man U.

That being said, I think Arsenal had a very good window. Mustafi went for less than other comparable CBs and I think Lucas Perez is severely underrated and will surprise a ton of people. He's a better version of Vardy because he does more.

I hope they sign this Paraguayan dude to close the window. Jack wilshere is headed to CP on loan.

Return to The General Soccer Board