Re: 2016 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1821 » by Neddy » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:16 am

ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Nightmare Scenario 

Post#1822 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:33 am

Neddy wrote:I sure hope not to a division rival..

That would certainly suck if he went to the Padres, especially with Logan White already there. However, I think A.J. Preller has a few years of rope to exhibit more progress. Trading for Kemp certainly didn't help his cause. It would be scary to have both Anthopoulos and White armed with inside knowledge of the Dodgers' inner workings run things for the Padres.

I can see the Diamondback pushing hard for Anthopoulos given how much they envy our organization. They overpaid for Zack Greinke, so they would likely be aggressive in pursuing AA once they decide to clean house in Arizona's front office. They hired De Jon Watson from our developmental department. Even Dave Stewart was a former Dodger before becoming an agent for Kemp and Billingsley.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Up 5 Games in the NL West 

Post#1823 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#1824 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:14 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:^Damn... AA must love himself some impossible challenges...

it's a tough franchise to rebuild for sure, a small market with low budget, so many redundant hitters and no pitching... and prospects now that Buxton graduated, is not looking super.

they have no major league ready talent, with Gonsalves being the closest at AA with slightly above average stuff with the slightly above average control as his projected ceiling and Dee's little brother Nick being the identical player as his brother to look forward to. Tyler Jay was just moving up to AA before he got hurt, and that's about it for them in terms of prospects.

Joe Mauer, MIguel Sano, and now w/the surgically repaired wrist BH Park, all play 1B. they tried to move Sano to the OF and Park at DH, and Sano couldn't field and Park has historically proven from his KBO days that he cannot get into any rthyme to hit when he is not fielding. he proved it by becoming the worst hitter in the majors in terms of BA among the qualfied hitters while jacking out double digit HRs still. I know it's a heresy but If it was up to me, I am dumping Mauer and his 23 million per year contract. can't commit 20% of your entire resource to a 34 year old come next opening day whos hitting .770 OPS. in fact I would dump Plouffe as well. that's whopping 28 million they can reuse for pitching. in fact Phil Hughes and Glen Perkins are all garbage taking up precious and limited salary. anywho, I would go with Sano at 3B and play Park on 1B. if they are not going to move Mauer, trade Park and Plouffe out at least.

hey I guess it's obvious I do follow the twins closely to certain degree. always liked them since that dump movie about a kid becoming the owner/manager way back when... but surely they have a massive issues and little ways to fix it.

Send Dozier out as well. 29. In his prime. Can field one of the most important defensive positions and sends the ball out of the park. He's not a great 2B but he should yield you something.

It's time to gut the whole operation there in Minnesota.
I'm sending Mauer out and I'm covering some of his price tag in order to yield a nice return. Guy's always surprisingly had no power but he still gets on base and pretty good contact numbers.

I'm not sure AA is up for the job. It takes a lot of infrastructure to field a quality baseball team and I'm not sure he does much outside of throwing assets around and hoping it sticks. Toronto's drafting record under him leaves a lot to be desired and I don't see much evidence of any international signings being developed on that roster.

Friedman is on the record saying it took him over a year to build the kind of relationships he needed in Los Angeles for his job to work/ be easier etc. etc. Can AA really go to Minnesota, hire all the front office people he wants to Minnesota? Hire all the scouts, crosscheckers in different territories he needs to right the ship? Is he even patient enough to do it that way? Friedman had that luxury. AA kinda has a reputation with him and a limited amount of resources (even though the Twins owners are rich). I just can't see how it doesn't end up in disaster.

I sure hope he doesn't take that job. the first question any candidate will get is "what do you plan to do with Joe Mauer?" and anyone saying anything but they will make sure to have him retire as a twin will not be given a second look. he is from St. Paul and a local boy like that who has been a beloved figure larger than life, at least to the standard of what a "larger than life" is in Minnesota, no way they hire anyone to let their favorite son to get traded out.... unfortunately.

and if they do hire someone to trade Joe, that GM is going to be on a very short leash and will become a scapegoat in case the rebuilding does not pay dividends as fast as the fans expect. not a very secure job unless you are one of their own, an ex player who was a fan favorite who will be given 20 years to prove that he actually sucks at his job like Terry Ryan.

As you know I'm about an hour and a half from the Twin Cities. I know a couple of guys who went to HS with Mauer at CDH actually. I think that fan base has grown sour on his deal and his performance. The local boy story has lost its luster with them. In my experience, I see their fans complaining about him more often than not. I think they'd get over it pretty quickly tbh.

But I can agree that "my experience" is a very narrow view of the situation.

The only thing that gives me slight hesitation is viewing the AJ Ellis (who obviously isnt a local boy) situation here in LA.
Fans complained about him for a while and bemoaned that he was Kershaw's "personal catcher." The minute he was traded, you have a group of people who threw all of that complaining out of the window and fell on their sword for AJ and "team chemistry." I could see that happening in Mauer's situation as well.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Up 5 Games in the NL West 

Post#1825 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 8, 2016 3:20 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Happy for Puig.

Stay on the up and up and be a good teammate.

Coincidence that Reddick has picked it up with Puig's return and lively bat around now??????
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Unexpected Pick-Me Ups 

Post#1826 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 8, 2016 9:02 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Coincidence that Reddick has picked it up with Puig's return and lively bat around now??????

Yeah, I noticed that too. If we can work both in the lineup with Reddick in LF and Puig in RF along with Pederson in CF, I'd be quite content with that, but we have the issue of playing Howie Kendrick regularly if Utley isn't getting days off in addition to Ethier possibly being added to the mix.

It's also great to see our rookie pitchers picking up the slack with our mish-mashed rotation this season. Kazmir reportedly cut short his latest rehab outing. Anderson also struggled in his rehab assignment with blister issues while McCarthy wasn't sharp in his either.

I'd love to see both De Leon and Urias in the back end of our postseason rotation, but Urias' innings limit makes that unlikely to happen.

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#1827 » by Neddy » Fri Sep 9, 2016 4:48 am

Quake Griffin wrote:As you know I'm about an hour and a half from the Twin Cities. I know a couple of guys who went to HS with Mauer at CDH actually. I think that fan base has grown sour on his deal and his performance. The local boy story has lost its luster with them. In my experience, I see their fans complaining about him more often than not. I think they'd get over it pretty quickly tbh.

But I can agree that "my experience" is a very narrow view of the situation.

The only thing that gives me slight hesitation is viewing the AJ Ellis (who obviously isnt a local boy) situation here in LA.
Fans complained about him for a while and bemoaned that he was Kershaw's "personal catcher." The minute he was traded, you have a group of people who threw all of that complaining out of the window and fell on their sword for AJ and "team chemistry." I could see that happening in Mauer's situation as well.

man I am sure all is well with your career, congrats man :party: you must be the most eligible bachelor in your parts of Wisconsin as a professional single man. in some ways I envy you. I have a teen daughter who is talking at least an hour with a boy for the last year or so. at least that boy's mom is a teacher and I can trust their home's upbringing. smh... how did i get this old already.....

going back to Joe Mauer situation tho, if that is how the locals feel, that's good. that team can use some drastic changes to make themselves better. Joe can find home in..... **** I can't think of anyone unless the Twins picks up a big part of the salary... but man...

did I mention I envy you? It will suck some donkey balls when my son is a teen... then my daughter will be going to college.... **** me.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#1828 » by Neddy » Fri Sep 9, 2016 4:53 am

anywho..

I haven't played video games other than galaga on my phone for the last ten years or so but my kids want an X box since the old PS3 finally broke down. I am thinking about getting a baseball game again. do you guys have any recommendations? I prefer a massive logistics and FO works with my baseball games. I enjoyed Derek Jeter's baseball game the last which had 2 levels of minors and the major's 40 men roster to manage in the GM mode. I also enjoy putting myself in as a built in character (usually as a relief pitcher of my true age, but nowadays that means Bartolo Colon...) let me know if you guys have any knowledge to enlighten my backwards ignorant ass. other than the derek jeter's baseball, I remember triple play and MLB live as the choice of game titles back in my day. do they even exist anymore?
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Baseball Video Games 

Post#1829 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 9, 2016 5:47 am

I haven't bought a baseball video game in quite a while but I've been partial to a certain style that started from Baseball Stars on the NES to Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball on the Super NES to MLB Power Pros for the PS2. MLB Power Pros is based on the long-running Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū video-game series in Japan, which I believe is still active in that country. It looks like the old-school RBI Baseball but with a Rayman-like character design.

The game doesn't look serious in that it has a goofy but fun design but I appreciate the options to play ongoing seasons with real teams where players retire after so many years. There's the ability to create players with different hitting and pitching styles and even the ability to develop rookies and other players through experience-gaining achievements. There was a 2006 version made for the US with real MLB players and stadiums as well as a sequel in 2007. I created Clayton Kershaw for the 2006 version and still play the game on occasion.

It's a simple game to play but has plenty of options in terms of a franchise and season modes. While it is no longer made for the US, it is still going on in Japan. I assume they use real teams and players in the Japanese version but I can't seem to find mention of Shohei Ohtani being in the game. It seems odd to me that a long-running video-game franchise would not use real NPB teams and players in order to have a new version year after year. Also, it seems the Japanese version is available for the PS4 somehow. I assume you won't need your console to be chipped in order to play the Japanese version if you were able to obtain it.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1830 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Sep 9, 2016 12:10 pm

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-clayton-kershaw-back-injury-return-pretty-banged-up/2016/09/08/
Is he forcing it?

thinking about getting a PS4 and getting MLB The Show.
It's been about 5 years since I've played a video game but I think I'm going to do it for the show.
Ranma
RealGM

Ethier Coming Back Into OF Mix 

Post#1831 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 9, 2016 9:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

MLB Central Talks About Kershaw's Return; Roberts & Utley's Leadership 

Post#1832 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 9, 2016 10:10 pm

MLB Central on Dodgers' rotation 09/08/16 | 00:04:36
Al Leiter and the crew on MLB Central talk about the status of the Dodgers pitching staff and how they survived so many injuries

MLB Central: Kershaw's Return 09/09/16 | 00:03:51
The MLB Central crew talks Clayton Kershaw's return to the Dodgers' pitching rotation and the impact he has on the team's playoff run

MLB Central: Peter Gammons 09/09/16 | 00:06:13
On MLB Central, Peter Gammons joins Lauren Shehadi to discuss Clayton Kershaw, the Pirates' playoff chances and if the Mets can make a run

Ranma
RealGM

Anthopoulos Takes Himself Out of Consideration for Twins 

Post#1833 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 9, 2016 10:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Day of Transactions and Announcements 

Post#1834 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Hill Pitched 7 Perfect Innings 

Post#1835 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:35 am

I'm thinking what is Puig doing in left field when he's superior defensively to Reddick, but as it turned out, it was fortuitous that he was there to preserve Hill's perfect game in the 7th inning. Unfortunately, Hill was taken out before he could complete his masterpiece. I get why Roberts did it, but man, I really wanted to see Hill finish it. It would have been such a lift for the entire team. Now it'll be a deflating win emotionally if we hang on. It's the 1st time ever that a pitcher has been pulled from a perfect game in progress with 7 innings pitched.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1836 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:21 am

GTFO!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#1837 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 am

I was telling my wife in the 6th that we really outta not keep HIll in there for too long past say, 95 pitches. Dave pulled him with less than 90s. I agree with the decision. it would be great for him personally but suck for all of us if he had gone the distance and get that perfect game, just to re-injure himself just before the post season.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#1838 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:34 am

De Leon pitched a great game. other than those 2 HRs he was very good all through out. more than a few 3 and out innings too. I hope De Leon's performance pumps up Urias. Julio has always been the better pitcher while they were coming up together. De Leon has pitched like a bigboy in his first two starts in the majors, it is time for now the young Julio to show who's boss.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1839 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:34 pm

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1840 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers