ImageImage

2017 Roster

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

2017 Roster 

Post#1 » by M-C-G » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Curious who you guys see being on the roster opening day next year. Who do you think we keep, who do you think we call up, what do you think the rotation looks like, who do they start out in the minors to protect service time?
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: 2017 Roster 

Post#2 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:52 pm

YOu should expect every single player in the pipeline top 30 to start in MiLB. Hard to say who is going to be around though. I posted before who we had to protect for rule 5 and I think Wilkerson will get a crack at making the MLB club too. If I was a betting man I think we can assume its a lock Davies will be here next season and after that Im not so sure. I think the 25 and 40 will look very different after December.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#3 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 pm

Where did you post the rule 5 candidates? I must have missed it. This would be a good thread for it if it stays open. Could also be a transaction/personnel thread at the same time. Not much else to talk about around here.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#4 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:15 pm

All players below are currently rule 5 eligible to be drafted and will need to be added after season. Brewers I believe are still only at 39 guys on the 40. Boyer is the only one currently on the 40 who will be FA's at years end. Barrios, Liriano, and Sean Nolin are all still currently on the 60 man and will need to eventually go back to the 40 man or be exposed as well.

Current AAA Players --

OF Lewis Brinson
1B Garrett Cooper
RHP Drew Gagnon
LHP Josh Hader
IF Brandon Macias
UT Nate Orf
LHP Stephen Peterson
LHP Wei-Chung Wang
C Adam Weisenburger
OF Kyle Wren

Current AA Players --

RHP Tristan Archer
IF Javier Betancourt
RHP Parker Berberet
OF Ryan Cordell
OF Clint Coulter
OF Johnny Davis
RHP Preston Gainey
OF Omar Garcia
LHP Mitch Lambson
2B Chris McFarland
SS Angel Ortega
RHP Jorge Ortega
OF Brett Phillips
LHP Nick Ramirez
RHP Junior Rincon
OF Victor Roache
RHP Tayler Scott
RHP Tyler Spurlin
OF Tyrone Taylor
RHP Josh Uhen
RHP Angel Ventura

Current A-Level (or below) players --

OF Carlos Belonis
RHP Rodrigo Benoit
LHP Joan De La Cruz
RHP Miguel Diaz
RHP Victor Diaz
RHP Junior Flores
RHP Milton Gomez
C Dustin Houle
RHP Yosmer Leal
C Natanael Mejia
LHP Boanerges Nova
1B Juan Ortiz
RHP Alberto Paulino
IF Wendell Rijo
OF Elvis Rubio
1B Alan Sharkey
LHP Clint Terry
RHP Taylor Williams
wichmae
RealGM

Post#5 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:23 pm

What also shoudl be addded to my above post is the guys in line for Arby raises or are first time eligible. Peralta, Carter, Maldy, Scooter, Torres, Kirk and Thorny are all year arby eligible. All in line for raises from 2015 salaries. Especially, Carter, Scooter, Tyler, and Peralta to some degree. I think a lot of these guys are going to be shopped around like CC, Scooter, and Wily.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#6 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:46 pm

That's fewer key prospects than I thought. Good - that means they won't have to waste service time due to having significantly more than 15 guys in the minors who need to be protected.

Definitely hoping Carter and Scooter get moved. Kirk should get moved or just not given an offer. Braun and Garza I'm counting on being traded. Guerra too; they're very aware of his age, I'm sure. Villar, Perez, and Thornburg if offers are really good; otherwise keep them. Doubt they get anything for Wily so maybe give him another year. No idea what if they have anything in Nelson though.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#7 » by wichmae » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:49 am

I count 5 non tender candidates. Kirk, Rowen, Wilkins, Scahill, and Elmore. Boyer will be a FA. Thats 5 spots. Liriano, Barrios, and Nolin all could very well be exposed. Cecchini could also be a candidate to get taken off the 40. I count 7 guys who absolutely need to be added or theyre gone. Brinson, Hader, Wang from AAA. Coulter, Phillips, Cordell, and Tyrone Taylor. Wren probably would get taken and Tristan Archer would be an intriguing expose. Roache was passed over last season when left exposed and didnt exactly mash this season.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#8 » by wichmae » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 am

Back to the original question M-C-G had. I think they absolutely found some key pieces for next season. My man crush on Broxton have reached DB/Braun levels. I think the lineup is basically almost set. If they do eventually trade Braun to the Dodgers for a Puig package he starts in right with Domingo going to left and Keon in center. Hernan moves back to the IF at 3rd with Arcia and Villar up the middle.
Only questions that remain are first and catcher. Hopefully they find a "sell high" on CC, Scooter, and one of the catchers. I want to see more of Susac and think he deserves a chance. The fact he still has options may do in that strategy. Maldy has big pop and a big arm but his contact and game awareness is really concerning to me. Pina may not be on his level defensively but he can hit.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#9 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:13 am

The guys I see very likely returning are:

Arcia
Villar (assuming as a 3B)
Santana
Perez (Won't shock me if they try to test his trade market, but ultimately don't get what they want)
Broxton
Davies
Peralta
Nelson
Pina

Everything else is up for grabs. Guys I think are very likely traded are Braun, Carter, Thornburg (possibly at the deadline just to show he can be a closer for an entire year)
Do it for Chuck
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#10 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Gotta figure they'll listen to offers on lots of guys in the 25+ age range but ultimately only get what they want for about half of them. Contenders usually want to see a longer track record before giving up something of value. There will be at least a few guys who aren't part of the future and don't have much trade value but who will add a few meaningless wins. My guess is that Scooter, Wily, and Maldonado stay due to lack of worthwhile offers. Kinda hope I'm wrong.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,914

Post#11 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:29 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2016/09/18/haudricourt-cubs-plan-not-easy-replicate/90328642/

TH on how tough it will be to rebuild like the Cubs. Those trades Epstein pulled off were pretty damn good. And a $171 million payroll doesn't hurt either
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#12 » by Bernman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:06 pm

The only obvious guys to move still left on the roster are the near 30 year old all or nothing Chris Carter and Matt Garza, if anyone still would actually want him. They probably wouldn't, so still really only Chris Carter.

I could get down with a Braun trade, but it's far from obvious being ahead of schedule with the rebuild, him being a marquee player, and having more value to us than most teams given his checkered history. I don't know that someone like Puig would be content here.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#13 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Matt Garza is definitely worth something if he keeps it up for his last few starts. 3.70 e.r.a. in the 2nd half, even better since July 31st, mostly under difficult circumstances (playing against very good offenses and/or pitching in hitter-friendly parks), proven starter who will be 33 in 2017 in the final year of what amounts to a pretty reasonable salary for starters... as long as he looks healthy, the Brewers should and will get something for him in my opinion. If he was older I'd say this is a fluke, but 32 is not too old to bounce back from a really bad, injury-plagued year and a half.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,750

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Bernman wrote:The only obvious guys to move still left on the roster are the near 30 year old all or nothing Chris Carter and Matt Garza, if anyone still would actually want him. They probably wouldn't, so still really only Chris Carter.

I could get down with a Braun trade, but it's far from obvious being ahead of schedule with the rebuild, him being a marquee player, and having more value to us than most teams given his checkered history. I don't know that someone like Puig would be content here.

And Puig's a FA in two years, anyway. So you'd have to hope that he's happy AND returns to a form he hasn't play in since '14.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#15 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:29 pm

No reason not to have Garza around unless you are seriously scrapping for a final roster spot. As promising as some guys have been, there still are no players that are kicking down the door and begging for innings in our rotation in 2017.

Let Garza throw the MLB innings to save service time for guys like Hader for at least the first half. If Garza sucks and can't fetch anything in trade...then you can make that decision at the deadline.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#16 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Nelson, Peralta, Davies, Anderson, Guerra, Garza. Not considering financial status, I'm willing to be that most contenders would want Garza the most out of that group. If you get a great offer for Guerra, then maybe you keep Garza, but I don't expect that. Also, you've got Jungmann and Wilkerson to eat a few innings if someone gets hurt.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#17 » by bdpecore » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

My guess on the roster is:

C- Susac
1B - Carter
2B - Villar
SS - Arcia
3B - Perez
LF - Puig
CF - Broxton
RF - Santana

Bench:
Pina/Pinto, Veteran FA, Rivera, Liriano, Reed/Wren

Rotation:
Nelson, Davies, Guerra, Jungmann, Anderson

Bullpen:
Thornburg, Knebel, Blazak, Torres, Cravy, Scahill, Marinez, Magnifico
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#18 » by mlloyd10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:45 am

bdpecore wrote:My guess on the roster is:

C- Susac
1B - Carter
2B - Villar
SS - Arcia
3B - Perez
LF - Puig
CF - Broxton
RF - Santana

Bench:

Rotation:

Bullpen:

The only thing I see different is Carter... I think some team will offer a decent prospect for him....depending on the team, somewhere between there 5-10 best prospect and sterns take it and runs.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#19 » by Bernman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:32 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
bdpecore wrote:My guess on the roster is:

C- Susac
1B - Carter
2B - Villar
SS - Arcia
3B - Perez
LF - Puig
CF - Broxton
RF - Santana

Bench:

Rotation:

Bullpen:

The only thing I see different is Carter... I think some team will offer a decent prospect for him....depending on the team, somewhere between there 5-10 best prospect and sterns take it and runs.

Yeah, hopefully a pitching or catching prospect, then Santana replaces Carter at 1st. I think Brinson is going to be up, seeing as though he's already in AAA.

And I think Braun stays because of Attanasio's tie to him.

Maybe we sign a catcher for around 7 million in free agency to fill out the lineup.

Lineup - Broxton, Villar, Braun, Santana, Brinson, Arcia, Gennett, faC
UT - Perez

Rotation - Guerra, Nelson, Davies, Hader, Garza (if can't find a deal) OR Peralta/Jungmann (whoever impresses more in ST)
CL - Thornburg
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#20 » by mlloyd10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Also wouldn't be surprised if they deal Nelson

Return to Milwaukee Brewers