ImageImageImageImage

2016 Official Speculation Thread: Episode V - The Preseason Strikes Back

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,504

Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread: Episode V - The Dire Wait 

Post#1421 » by AddiFB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:
AddiFB wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:Practice Notes:

The reporters got scared when Uncle Frank raised his voice and needed to check in with all the kids to make sure they were ok. :banghead:

I don't get it :oops:

Watching the videos from post practice and the reporters asked every player how they felt when Frank got vocal when they failed a drill. Then they asked Frank. Just seems so amateur of them to ask about stuff like that.

Ahh.. the media softness. These are grown men paid millions to play a sport. They aren't babies that need to be pampered.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1422 » by j-ragg » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Figured there'd be a lot of video interviews. All I saw was one from the Magic for 20 seconds of Ibaka talking.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#1423 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Can we end this thread and get a Training camp one? It will make me happier thinking the season is nearer.
AddiFB
Veteran

Post#1424 » by AddiFB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:40 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:Can we end this thread and get a Training camp one? It will make me happier thinking the season is nearer.

Didn't want to start another one but anyone can of course... so for now I at least changed the title a bit.

orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#1425 » by orlando1214 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:57 pm

j-ragg wrote:Figured there'd be a lot of video interviews. All I saw was one from the Magic for 20 seconds of Ibaka talking.

They have a decent amount of interviews up on the Magic's website. Just be ready for Josh Robbins and John Denton to ask the exact same questions in every single interview and get pretty much the same answer from every player.
AddiFB
Veteran

Post#1426 » by AddiFB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:10 pm

orlando1214 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Figured there'd be a lot of video interviews. All I saw was one from the Magic for 20 seconds of Ibaka talking.

They have a decent amount of interviews up on the Magic's website. Just be ready for Josh Robbins and John Denton to ask the exact same questions in every single interview and get pretty much the same answer from every player.

Is it the same issue with media people covering other teams during TC or just Magic media weak sauce?
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#1427 » by EAS Law » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 pm

AddiFB wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:
AddiFB wrote:

Watching the videos from post practice and the reporters asked every player how they felt when Frank got vocal when they failed a drill. Then they asked Frank. Just seems so amateur of them to ask about stuff like that.

Ahh.. the media softness. These are grown men paid millions to play a sport. They aren't babies that need to be pampered.

***AHEM****

"Sometimes we need a pat on the head--like a puppy dog"

-unknown
orlando1214
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#1428 » by orlando1214 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 pm

AddiFB wrote:
orlando1214 wrote:

Is it the same issue with media people covering other teams during TC or just Magic media weak sauce?

I'm sure it happens to an extent elsewhere, but I do feel like it's worse in Orlando for the Magic. Josh and John in particular are really bad at knowing exactly what they want to write about beforehand and then just go fishing for the quotes that will fit their story. They have a check list of questions and they just go down the list instead of having actual conversations with the guys or asking them unique questions. That's why I love it so much when Josh Robbins gets all annoyed when Rob gives him some typical BS Rob answer to a question and not the quote that he's obviously looking for.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread: Episode V - We're talking about practice! 

Post#1429 » by woosah » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:51 pm

yes Denton is the king of leading questions.

"so Elfrid, how do you feel going into this year? Would you say it's important and that you can set the tone for the team and do you feel that your strengths will be better showcased this year with the new additions to the roster, which could propel you into the national spotlignt?"

Elfrid (with Louisiana accent): "definitely. definitely."

:lol:
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1430 » by rcklsscognition » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 pm

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/09/27/highly-plausible-win-projections-2016-2017/

Projected tied for 11th with the Heat in the E. Conference with 36 wins.

I have us coming in between 40 and 44 Ws.
AddiFB
Veteran

Post#1431 » by AddiFB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 pm

woosah wrote:yes Denton is the king of leading questions.

"so Elfrid, how do you feel going into this year? Would you say it's important and that you can set the tone for the team and do you feel that your strengths will be better showcased this year with the new additions to the roster, which could propel you into the national spotlignt?"

I really don't like long questions like that. It sort of answers the question itself and leaves the person being interviewed with little to nothing to add, so we get "Yeah, sure... umm... Gotta stay focused. Work hard... "
Greenraida
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#1432 » by Greenraida » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:13 pm

Adam asks actually good, interesting questions, need more Adams.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#1433 » by OrlandO » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 am

rcklsscognition wrote:
AddiFB wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:Practice Notes:

The reporters got scared when Uncle Frank raised his voice and needed to check in with all the kids to make sure they were ok. :banghead:

That's small town orlando media for you. It's like the SVG era never happened...
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#1434 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:43 am

We're really looking for AG and Elfrid to step up this season so it sucks that they're both injured for the start of training camp. Feels like we can't catch a break over here.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1435 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:50 am

anyone who thinks they know whether the magic will be good, or bad is full of ****. this team is a giant mystery box right now, i don't think we will know what this team is until about 20 or so games in
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1436 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:56 am

denton is a sorry excuse for a journalist, he's nothing more than a team cheerleader and mouth piece
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#1437 » by Bensational » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:18 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:We're really looking for AG and Elfrid to step up this season so it sucks that they're both injured for the start of training camp. Feels like we can't catch a break over here.

Tell me about it.

I'm glad to hear that at least Biz is making his presence known and being a leader.

I really think he'll be the starter on opening night. Vogel went a long way to talk him up as a '2-way' player on media day. Everyone says defense will be the brand of our game. AG said he's looking forward to defending SFs because he'll have blockers behind him in Biz and Serge.

Maybe it's more of a sell coming from management to justify the big contract for him, but the language all sounds like the team is gearing to build around him as the big man.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Re: RE: Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread: Episode V - We're talking about practice! 

Post#1438 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 am

MagicFan32 wrote:

denton is a sorry excuse for a journalist, he's nothing more than a team cheerleader and mouth piece

He is employed directly by the Magic, is he not? If so you won't bite the hand that feeds you.

The only one I really respect is Robbins because you can tell he tries. Schmitz is only around to get a paycheck, he checked out years ago as he only counts the days till retirement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,083

Post#1439 » by Dennis Reynolds » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:04 am

Biyombo's got a suspension so he won't start on opening night.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#1440 » by rusoopE » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:31 am

MagicFan32 wrote:anyone who thinks they know whether the magic will be good, or bad is full of ****. this team is a giant mystery box right now, i don't think we will know what this team is until about 20 or so games in

But right.
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter

Return to Orlando Magic