ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2017 Offseason Thread(prior threads merged)

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

tOfficial Call-It-A-Year Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 3, 2016 4:35 am

Let's be honest: we should've started this thread before the year began...

The Browns are probably going to take a QB seeing how desperate they are for anyone who's even decent (Niners should too, but I don't like anyone in the first). The Browns will probably pick first.

Niners can still get the #2 pick & Myles Garrett. If they did, they should go all out & get Dontari Poe & try to win with a super defense like the Broncos did.

I don't like any of the WR in FA. Michael Floyd might be ok, but I think he's a time bomb of bad behaviour waiting to go off when he gets paid. Alshon's health worries me too much. Kendall Wright is just "meh." I say cross your fingers & hope Corey Davis drops to round 2.

Niners have plenty of young guys & depth players. They need starters.

Ideal offseason:

Round 1: Myles Garrett
Round 2: Corey Davis
Round 2 after trading Kaepernick & a later pick: Bucky Hodges
Round 3: QB
Round 4: QB
Round 5: QB

FA: Dontari Poe, Kevin Zeitler, Best ILB available (maybe 2 depending on Bowman).

Re-sign: Vance, Reid

Extend: Lynch

All bets are off if the Bears get rid of Cutler.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Re: tOfficial Call-It-A-Year Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by arich35 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 4:43 am

I want to see us actually draft a stud WR or CB, when is the last time we had one of those?

Jalen Tabor is a guy I am looking at if we are between 5-10
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 1:34 pm

ATM there's a better STUD pass rusher than WR or CB....

Im all for Poe and drafting Garrett!!!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#4 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm thinking there is no way in hell Jed lets Baalke sit on the piggy bank this off-season. I have seen multiple reports that indicate he was fuming that we didn't sign any free agents this last go round.
It's time to see who might hit the market.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:53 pm

Alshon Jeffery is at the top of my list.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:56 pm

As for LBs. Pats haven't extended Hightower or Collins yet. I'd assume Collins is the priority and worst case would get tagged. I'm not the biggest Hightower fan though. Seems like mostly a run stuffer.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 3, 2016 4:01 pm

What team is going to trade for Garroppolo?
Do the Cowboys keep Romo with the emergence of Prescott?
Cutler is probably done in Chitown. Same can probably be said for Tannehill in Miami. Fitzmagik is probably done in NY.

The Cards, Bears, Dolphins, Browns, and Jets are most likely all in the QB mix. We have some serious competition for Watson if we choose to lose towards that route.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#8 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 3, 2016 4:08 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:I'm thinking there is no way in hell Jed lets Baalke sit on the piggy bank this off-season. I have seen multiple reports that indicate he was fuming that we didn't sign any free agents this last go round.

I don't think Baalke is around this offseason. The clock began ticking once Chip was hired and so far nothing in this season has stopped it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gamble isn't running the show this upcoming offseason. He's Chip's BFF and it wasn't an accident he was made assistant GM.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#9 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:51 pm

Desperate needs for the team are obviously QB, WR, pass rusher, and ILB

So roster is at least a 2 year project if things go well so I would be all in for Garrett if we're in range and pass on QB for the time being. But I do believe you need to get a stud on at least 2 of those 4 needs this upcoming offseason whether it's through the draft or FA.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 8:06 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:What team is going to trade for Garroppolo?
Do the Cowboys keep Romo with the emergence of Prescott?
Cutler is probably done in Chitown. Same can probably be said for Tannehill in Miami. Fitzmagik is probably done in NY.

The Cards, Bears, Dolphins, Browns, and Jets are most likely all in the QB mix. We have some serious competition for Watson if we choose to lose towards that route.

as long as it pushes Garrett to us.....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ease_Ur_Storm
Senior
And1: 21

Post#11 » by Ease_Ur_Storm » Mon Oct 3, 2016 9:08 pm

Bowman is officially out. Still want to see this team flash potential, but if we can manage a loss against a QB-less team on Thurs we're looking good in the sweepstakes.
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#12 » by generaldreedle » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:26 pm

We need a QB and WR in that order. I think the d-line, o-line, RB, and secondary are ok. But we just can't avoid drafting a qb high this offseason.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:44 pm

arich35 wrote:I want to see us actually draft a stud WR or CB, when is the last time we had one of those?

Jalen Tabor is a guy I am looking at if we are between 5-10

A stud WR would be nice. I'm pretty satisfied with our current DBs. Robinson has looked really good for a rookie who didn't even play last year. He's nothing but upside as he refines his talent and bulks up. We haven't even seen Redmond yet, and he's got some talent, as well. Brock had a rough day yesterday, but he's a decent player. Ward has also improved, though he still struggles with size. I'd rather see what these young guys can grow into instead of using a premium pick on a CB, though. I'd much rather address the pass rush, particularly given what this next year looks like at the position.

Granted, we desperately need a QB more than anything else.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:45 pm

Jikkle wrote:Desperate needs for the team are obviously QB, WR, pass rusher, and ILB

So roster is at least a 2 year project if things go well so I would be all in for Garrett if we're in range and pass on QB for the time being. But I do believe you need to get a stud on at least 2 of those 4 needs this upcoming offseason whether it's through the draft or FA.

We may have to add NT to the list after the first few games this year. Our run D is getting destroyed. Granted we may re-sign Williams, and Dorsey should be returning to form. It's a real shame we lost Garrison.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 3, 2016 11:16 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Alshon Jeffery is at the top of my list.

I hear bad things about his long-term health. Not sure if they're true.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#16 » by RedneckNiner » Tue Oct 4, 2016 12:51 am

In my opinion this team needs a QB unfortunately imo none of the Qbs in the draft warrant a top 3 pick where the Niners will most likely be picking. A WR would be nice but with a Qb that can throw it down field and will take some chances the Niners could finally get some use out of Torrey Smith. Garrett would be awesome if the Niners are picking top two or three. Definately the best player on the board there. That being said I woul much rather the Niners trade back a pick up some extra picks especially another second rounder or another fir round pick for next year. I agree the Niners needs are a QB, Pass Rusher, WR, ILB in pretty much that order. Hopefuly Jed opens the pocketbook and Lets Gamble (hopefully Baalke is tossed into the Bay with some designer concrete shoes or at least fired.) .

I think DB the Niners are Fine Robinson will develop into a Stud and Ward Is good and Redmond will soon be a solid CB as well. Reid and Tartt as starting safeties . The Jury for me is out on Buckner and Armsteads needs to sit this year and get his shoulder fixed. NT Rewatching the game yesterday I was a bit off in my post Purcell was getting good penetration but there was no second person there to help him. Buckner if he can learn to play a little lower will turn out good but right now he gets some push against the pass but on running plays he gets blown up.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 4, 2016 3:39 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:As for LBs. Pats haven't extended Hightower or Collins yet. I'd assume Collins is the priority and worst case would get tagged. I'm not the biggest Hightower fan though. Seems like mostly a run stuffer.

If the Niners signed Hightower, they should put him at ILB. He plays OLB right now, but he played ILB in Alabama's 3-4.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#18 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 3:32 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:I'm thinking there is no way in hell Jed lets Baalke sit on the piggy bank this off-season. I have seen multiple reports that indicate he was fuming that we didn't sign any free agents this last go round.

Just curious, could you show me some of the reports that York was fuming?
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#19 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 4, 2016 6:30 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:As for LBs. Pats haven't extended Hightower or Collins yet. I'd assume Collins is the priority and worst case would get tagged. I'm not the biggest Hightower fan though. Seems like mostly a run stuffer.

If the Niners signed Hightower, they should put him at ILB. He plays OLB right now, but he played ILB in Alabama's 3-4.

That's what I would do if they signed him is put him at ILB and just pull him on obvious passing downs.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#20 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 7:04 pm

Cowboys were gashing the run defense all game. So much for back to back first-round picks on the DL.

Meanwhile, no ILBs picked given Bowman's injury history.

If Baalke keeps his job after this season, no reason to be optimistic for years. These drafts should be producing at least a couple of reliable starters, not to mention some stars, year after year.

Which stars have Baalke drafted? Aldon and Kaep but both faded real quickly.

Not a great batting percentage.

Return to San Francisco 49ers