ImageImageImage

Who do you want the Braves to hire as next Manager?

Moderator: HMFFL

Who do you want hired

Bud Black
40%
Ron Washington
No votes
Ron Gardenhire
No votes
Brian Snitker
60%
Eddie Perez
No votes
Terry Pendleton
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 8:46 pm

The Braves have announced interviewing 4 internal options, Snitker, Perez, Pendleton and Porter. They have scheduled some interviews with outside options in the next few days. Of the internal options, Snitker obviously has the lead based on how he and the team performed when he was made interim.

Bud Black is my personal top choice.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Who do you want the Braves to hire as next Manager? 

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Tue Oct 4, 2016 12:23 am

Keep Snitker, he's done enough to shed the interim tag.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#3 » by JDR720 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 12:25 am

yea i'd just keep Snit, i dont think it would look good to not hire him considering how well the team likes him and he did a pretty solid job too.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,348

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 4, 2016 4:41 pm

Snitker has earned the opportunity. No denying that.

But, if we're building a whole new dynasty, I'd want a guy more seasoned and experienced long-term. I vote for Bud Black. Any of Snitker, Black or Washington would be acceptable hires. But 10+ years of big league managerial experience makes all the difference to me. Bud also won a world series as a player and as a pitching coach. That kind of experience is invaluable.

I do fear that if we hire Washington, with his age, we'd be looking for another manager in 3-4 years. That's less than ideal.

The case for Black:
Black, 59, is considered by some close to the Braves to be the only candidate the team would seriously considering hiring over Snitker. He’s a former major league pitcher and was pitching coach for the Angels in 2000-2006 before managing the Padres from 2007 to 2015.

He was National League Manager of the Year in 2010.

The case for Washington:
Washington, 64, managed the Rangers for eight seasons through 2014, guiding them to four consecutive seasons with at least 90 wins and American League pennants in 2010 and 2011. He’s a third-base coach with Oakland.
Here
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 9:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Snitker has earned the opportunity. No denying that.

But, if we're building a whole new dynasty, I'd want a guy more seasoned and experienced long-term. I vote for Bud Black. Any of Snitker, Black or Washington would be acceptable hires. But 10+ years of big league managerial experience makes all the difference to me. Bud also won a world series as a player and as a pitching coach. That kind of experience is invaluable.

I do fear that if we hire Washington, with his age, we'd be looking for another manager in 3-4 years. That's less than ideal.

The case for Black:
Black, 59, is considered by some close to the Braves to be the only candidate the team would seriously considering hiring over Snitker. He’s a former major league pitcher and was pitching coach for the Angels in 2000-2006 before managing the Padres from 2007 to 2015.

He was National League Manager of the Year in 2010.

The case for Washington:
Washington, 64, managed the Rangers for eight seasons through 2014, guiding them to four consecutive seasons with at least 90 wins and American League pennants in 2010 and 2011. He’s a third-base coach with Oakland.
Here

I agree, but I'd take Gardenhire over Washington. And like you said, not taking anything away from Snit, but I too prefer a more experienced manager. I'll take 1) Bud Black 2) Ron Gardenhire 3) Snitker
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Wed Oct 5, 2016 12:26 am

Reports are that it's neck and neck between Bud Black and Snitker.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 8:22 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Reports are that it's neck and neck between Bud Black and Snitker.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

It's going to be a close race. Snit did a hell of a job, after Fredi was canned. Bud Black has strong ties to both John Hart and John Schuerholz. He pitched for Schuerholz '85 champion Royals and was in the Indians when Hart was in their front office.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 5, 2016 8:28 pm

New piece on AJC.com regarding this very subject:

The case for Snitker: He’s universally liked and admired within the organization he has served since 1977, and he got so much more from a terrible-looking team that it wound up not looking terrible at all.

The case against Snitker: Coming after Fredi Gonzalez, whose Braves were 34-81 since July 7, 2015, it would have been nigh-impossible not to do better, and his resume as a big-league manager includes only 124 low-pressure games.
Here
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 9:08 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:New piece on AJC.com regarding this very subject:

The case for Snitker: He’s universally liked and admired within the organization he has served since 1977, and he got so much more from a terrible-looking team that it wound up not looking terrible at all.

The case against Snitker: Coming after Fredi Gonzalez, whose Braves were 34-81 since July 7, 2015, it would have been nigh-impossible not to do better, and his resume as a big-league manager includes only 124 low-pressure games.
Here

And1 for the link.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 6, 2016 2:42 pm

I'd really like Snitker to get the job. It just seems like he worked so hard to get there, created so much good will with the players, and did a nice job - that it'd be a shame to pass him over in favor of a recycled manager.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 3:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'd really like Snitker to get the job. It just seems like he worked so hard to get there, created so much good will with the players, and did a nice job - that it'd be a shame to pass him over in favor of a recycled manager.

No offense, but that is a stupid comment to make. :nonono: Yeah lets not pass up Snit for a manager that has nearly 700 career wins and post-season experience. :banghead: :banghead:

Regardless of who is hired, Snit has said he tends to remain with the organization. He'll probably resume his duties as Gwinnett manager, if not chosen to continue as the big clubs skipper.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 6, 2016 6:40 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'd really like Snitker to get the job. It just seems like he worked so hard to get there, created so much good will with the players, and did a nice job - that it'd be a shame to pass him over in favor of a recycled manager.

No offense, but that is a stupid comment to make. :nonono: Yeah lets not pass up Snit for a manager that has nearly 700 career wins and post-season experience. :banghead: :banghead:

Regardless of who is hired, Snit has said he tends to remain with the organization. He'll probably resume his duties as Gwinnett manager, if not chosen to continue as the big clubs skipper.

You really have a way with words. Offense taken.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 2:07 am

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

You really have a way with words. Offense taken.

Yeah, a recycled manager. What's that supposed to mean? Weren't you taking a shot at him by saying that? If not, I don't know why you would then.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 7, 2016 2:26 am

No, what I did was make an innocent comment about wanting a guy who I respect get the chance that I think he's earned and worked for a good chunk of his life - rather than a guy who's already been there and done that. I wasn't taking a shot at Bud Black, and you act like I'm insulting your father. What's up with that? Btw, Black's been mentioned for at least half a dozen managerial jobs over the last couple years. He almost got the Nats job - losing out to Dusty Baker. He'll probably get one - and probably deservedly so. I'd still rather Snitker get the Braves job.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ATL Boy » Fri Oct 7, 2016 1:58 pm

Braves won't bring back Roger McDowell :cry:

Reading he tea leaves, Bud Black seems to be in the lead as a result of this move.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Oct 7, 2016 3:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:No, what I did was make an innocent comment about wanting a guy who I respect get the chance that I think he's earned and worked for a good chunk of his life - rather than a guy who's already been there and done that. I wasn't taking a shot at Bud Black, and you act like I'm insulting your father. What's up with that? Btw, Black's been mentioned for at least half a dozen managerial jobs over the last couple years. He almost got the Nats job - losing out to Dusty Baker. He'll probably get one - and probably deservedly so. I'd still rather Snitker get the Braves job.

Not true at all. It's the way you worded it. Seemed like you were taking a shot a Bud. No need to be insulting. You are a MOD. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 7, 2016 4:02 pm

^1) You guys are hilarious. This is the most action/passion I've seen on this board in months.

ATL Boy wrote:Braves won't bring back Roger McDowell :cry:

Reading he tea leaves, Bud Black seems to be in the lead as a result of this move.

2) Certainly seems like a signal of massive change with the managerial staff.

I bawled like a baby years ago when Leo Mazzone left. Hope the next hire at that position can live up to the standards of the previous two.

Spoiler:
2b) I Love seeing you read the Tea Leaves...reading between the lines. Sometimes you can tell more by what the Front Office DOESN'T say in these press releases than what they do.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:03 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:No, what I did was make an innocent comment about wanting a guy who I respect get the chance that I think he's earned and worked for a good chunk of his life - rather than a guy who's already been there and done that. I wasn't taking a shot at Bud Black, and you act like I'm insulting your father. What's up with that? Btw, Black's been mentioned for at least half a dozen managerial jobs over the last couple years. He almost got the Nats job - losing out to Dusty Baker. He'll probably get one - and probably deservedly so. I'd still rather Snitker get the Braves job.

Not true at all. It's the way you worded it. Seemed like you were taking a shot a Bud. No need to be insulting. You are a MOD. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

LOL... I've tried to be patient with you, and that's not working. If I was trying to take a shot at Bud, I would have called him a retread. I was not intentionally taking a shot at Bud, and I've already explained that to you. That should have been the end of the conversation.

Ftr, I made efforts to try to get you to be a Moderator after Howard mentioned you expressed interest. After your last few posts, I'm glad I wasn't successful. Don't test me with Any more comments about telling me how to be a MOD or telling me not to get my panties in a bunch. That's an unofficial warning. Next time, what happens won't be unofficial.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ATL Boy » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:17 pm

Alright guys, we've said our peace on this matter. Let's get back to to the baseball, and let's keep it civil.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#20 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Snit the favorite,

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves

I still think Bud Black is the way to go. So if Snit gets it, why fire Roger? Rumor is that Roger was fired because of possible Bud hire.

Return to Atlanta Braves