ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL firings - Baalke and Kelly talk ONLY.

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

OFFICIAL firings - Baalke and Kelly talk ONLY. 

Post#1 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Feel we could go all over the thread with coach material. Maybe news/rumors/chatter/rants about coaches only here:

Not to be confused with regular season notes:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=1476604

--------

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/10/19/13335614/chip-kelly-college-coaching-rumors-oregon-texas-lsu

so it begins
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: SF 49ers Coaching Staff: 

Post#2 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:41 pm

"He just keeps running the same **** and it isn't fooling anybody," one NFL executive said.

When you read this, how does a fan react?
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 pm

The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 pm

The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: SF 49ers FO & Coaching Staff: 

Post#5 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 pm

The ModFather

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#6 » by Jikkle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:10 pm

They talked up Tomsula last year as well so I would take it with a grain of salt. I'm not going to say for certain Baalke won't be gone but if the team continues to lose badly I doubt they keep him.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#7 » by Dodub » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:49 am

Chip is making Tomsula look like a credible head coach. I wonder if he's somewhere laughing at them.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#8 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 am

Jikkle wrote:

They talked up Tomsula last year as well so I would take it with a grain of salt. I'm not going to say for certain Baalke won't be gone but if the team continues to lose badly I doubt they keep him.

If the Yorks do not fire Baalke they will lose any credibility they have left and no one should ever again believe a word they say. They have no choice but to fire him by seasons end.
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#9 » by OnceUponADime » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:24 am

Dodub wrote:Chip is making Tomsula look like a credible head coach. I wonder if he's somewhere laughing at them.

He doesn't have any room to laugh, he's currently unemployed and watching from the couch. Most HCs who get fired will at least pick up jobs as some kind of assistant coach or sometimes even another HC gig (like Chip, and John Fox) but Tomsula couldn't do either.

Only person that gets to laugh at all is the guy at Univ of Michagan and at this point, I doubt he even cares anymore.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Dodub wrote:Chip is making Tomsula look like a credible head coach. I wonder if he's somewhere laughing at them.

probably stumbling over himself before he gets the laughter out........

thats mean by me.... im bitter lol
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 pm

OnceUponADime wrote:

He doesn't have any room to laugh, he's currently unemployed and watching from the couch. Most HCs who get fired will at least pick up jobs as some kind of assistant coach or sometimes even another HC gig (like Chip, and John Fox) but Tomsula couldn't do either.

Only person that gets to laugh at all is the guy at Univ of Michagan and at this point, I doubt he even cares anymore.

To be fair, Tomsula is still getting paid as if he was still coaching......
The ModFather

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#12 » by thesack12 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:36 pm

All of Tomsula, Chryst, and Magini are currently unemployed.

As oceuponadime write, usually when guys are fired from higher level positions they either hook on elsewhere for the same title or at least take positional coaching jobs to rebuild their stock.

Its possible, these guys could have generated some interest that we didn't hear about and chose to sit out. However, Tomsula and Chryst (Tomsula especiially) have unremarkable NFL resumes and I would think they would have jumped at any opportunity to stay in the loop and remain relevant. As for Mangini, he intitially came to Frisco in an "offensive consultant" role, so that would lead me to believe he was itching to get back in the league and was going to take any role he could. Now that was a few years ago, perhaps he isn't as eager to be in the NFL now as he was then, but he does have a track record of taking very low level positions to get back in the league.

To summarize, it sure seems as though last year's coaching hierarchy was a huge pile of unwantedness.

As for Chip, if and when he goes he will have a nice comfortable HC college gig waiting for him somewhere.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#13 » by thesack12 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:16 pm

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/NE/20161018/SPORTS/161019474

Tim Kawakami: Why 49ers have to fire GM Trent Baalke and what should be happening before they do
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#14 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:38 pm

thesack12 wrote:http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/NE/20161018/SPORTS/161019474

Tim Kawakami: Why 49ers have to fire GM Trent Baalke and what should be happening before they do

I've often disagreed with Kawakami in the past but am agreeing with him more these days. I think he is right here and almost every 49er agrees with him the Baalke must go. The proof is on the roster. There really needs to be a house cleaning in the FO, The 49ers need a new GM and ideally someone that has a football background above the GM. Jed needs to sign checks and stay out of football operations because he doesn't have a clue.
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#15 » by DoobieKeebler » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#16 » by Jikkle » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:33 pm

DoobieKeebler wrote:Chip Kelly won’t be leaving the 49ers . . . voluntarily
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/chip-kelly-wont-be-leaving-the-49ers-voluntarily/

York is highly unlikely to fire him and pay 2 coaches not to coach and another one to actually coach. Also, I tend to believe despite his incompetence he probably has enough sense to understand firing two coaches in a row is a terrible look and a terrible selling point to attract other potential coaches.

And if Kelly really wanted a college job he would've taken one for this season or sit out and waited for next year. People are acting like Kelly took the job and is completely shocked the roster is terrible. Like he did absolutely no homework on the team before he considered the job.

Critically looking at the 9ers situation it's obvious why he took the job.

His main man Gamble is actually liked and trusted with a say in the organization unlike with the Eagles where he was clearly not on the same page as Roseman.

The roster is young and needs a serious upgrade which means Kelly has the ability to stock the roster with guys he wants and that he can bring up. Unlike with the Eagles where he inherited a roster full of vets that where Reid's guys.

The ownership is weak and not likely to really give Kelly a hard time for at least a couple of years.

So in Kelly's mind it's a situation where he can put together things the way he wants and whether that's a good or bad thing we'll find out over the next couple seasons.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/NE/20161018/SPORTS/161019474

I've often disagreed with Kawakami in the past but am agreeing with him more these days. I think he is right here and almost every 49er agrees with him the Baalke must go. The proof is on the roster. There really needs to be a house cleaning in the FO, The 49ers need a new GM and ideally someone that has a football background above the GM. Jed needs to sign checks and stay out of football operations because he doesn't have a clue.

Yeah, personally I don't have much of an opinion either way on Kawakami. But I'm seeing more and more of these types of things directed at Baalke from several different avenues and it makes me happy.

I agree with you completely. This team will not take any steps forward until Baalke goes bye bye.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm

http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/21/espn-ranks-49ers-worst-organization-in-sports/
Every year ESPN releases its ‘Ultimate Standings’ that rank franchises in the NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball and NHL, based on feedback from fans.

How did the 49ers rank?

Dead last. Jed York’s team ranks 122nd of 122.

Lol, awesome
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#19 » by Dodub » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Jikkle wrote:
DoobieKeebler wrote:Chip Kelly won’t be leaving the 49ers . . . voluntarily
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/20/chip-kelly-wont-be-leaving-the-49ers-voluntarily/

York is highly unlikely to fire him and pay 2 coaches not to coach and another one to actually coach. Also, I tend to believe despite his incompetence he probably has enough sense to understand firing two coaches in a row is a terrible look and a terrible selling point to attract other potential coaches.

And if Kelly really wanted a college job he would've taken one for this season or sit out and waited for next year. People are acting like Kelly took the job and is completely shocked the roster is terrible. Like he did absolutely no homework on the team before he considered the job.

Critically looking at the 9ers situation it's obvious why he took the job.

His main man Gamble is actually liked and trusted with a say in the organization unlike with the Eagles where he was clearly not on the same page as Roseman.

The roster is young and needs a serious upgrade which means Kelly has the ability to stock the roster with guys he wants and that he can bring up. Unlike with the Eagles where he inherited a roster full of vets that where Reid's guys.

The ownership is weak and not likely to really give Kelly a hard time for at least a couple of years.

So in Kelly's mind it's a situation where he can put together things the way he wants and whether that's a good or bad thing we'll find out over the next couple seasons.

I'm praying that a college comes and offers him a contract that he can't refuse. His success in the NFL was very short lived and obviously over.
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#20 » by DoobieKeebler » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:43 am

1) That fan ranking thing reeks of facetiousness. There are worse clubs, from a fan perspective. The A's, for example. No dedication to winning, and who have an owner with an almost "Major League" dedication to tanking, in hope of moving the team, and an old stadium where the clubhouse could be knee deep in sewage on any given Tuesday.

2) I hope Ol' Chipper goes back to the college ranks as well. I think he's a little too gimmicky for the pro game. He has tried to change his game to fit the NFL, but still.

Return to San Francisco 49ers