ImageImageImageImage

Garrett...

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Garrett... 

Post#1 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Good conversation this morning on The Ticket around Garrett. I thought it was a fair discussion about how much credit (as opposed to the blame last year which was fairly significant) for the team's performance this season.

Bullet points;

• He has never lost the room
  • As much as we (as fans) hate his staying on point, his consistency might be the best trait he has
  • His deference to his coordinators (who are easily among the best in the league)
  • His ability to fight through the elephant in the room which is Jerry Jones
  • The team doesn't quit on him (look around the league - how many coaches can you say that about)

Is he in the top 5 coaches in the league? No.
Is he significantly better than he was 5 years ago? I think so.
Would this current team be better with someone else at the helm? Name me someone other than Little Bill in Foxboro.

It's easy to bash the guy when they have seasons like last year. I'm certainly more than happy to toss some credit his way as well.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: Garrett... 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Good conversation this morning on The Ticket around Garrett. I thought it was a fair discussion about how much credit (as opposed to the blame last year which was fairly significant) for the team's performance this season.

Bullet points;

• As much as we (as fans) hate his staying on point, his consistency might be the best trait he has
  • His deference to his coordinators (who are easily among the best in the league)
  • The team doesn't quit on him (look around the league - how many coaches can you say that about)

Would this current team be better with someone else at the helm? Name me someone other than Little Bill in Foxboro.

It's easy to bash the guy when they have seasons like last year. I'm certainly more than happy to toss some credit his way as well.

I have been screaming for years hoping Jerry would take the handcuffs off Jason to really see what we have in him. Jerry has made Jason look like a puppet for years.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Good conversation this morning on The Ticket around Garrett. I thought it was a fair discussion about how much credit (as opposed to the blame last year which was fairly significant) for the team's performance this season.

Bullet points;

I have been screaming for years hoping Jerry would take the handcuffs off Jason to really see what we have in him. Jerry has made Jason look like a puppet for years.

Well - it seems we have a coach who doesn't completely suck even though we all know his clock management skills are still questionable at best.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:21 am

My only other complaint I would have with Jason is that he always gets schooled with half time adjustments VS. the better coaches.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:22 pm

If Jason Garrett gets the Cowboys over the hump and to the Super Bowl, does he get consideration for coach of the year? Or is our offense so loaded they dismiss him because of that.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#6 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:26 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Bullet points;

Garrett was the play caller up until the end of the 2013 season. Callahan was technically the OC but Garrett called the plays. He's never been a very good play caller in my opinion. Once Jerry/Stephen stripped him of that duty and made him a walk around coach he's been better. Having all Pro talent across the board on offense helps too.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Bullet points;

Garrett was the play caller up until the end of the 2013 season. Callahan was technically the OC but Garrett called the plays. He's never been a very good play caller in my opinion. Once Jerry/Stephen stripped him of that duty and made him a walk around coach he's been better. Having all Pro talent across the board on offense helps too.

Some do a good job of wearing both the HC and OC/DC hat on the sidelines. I agree with you. Garrett didn't. His value is more in the organization and management of the team on the field and delegating more specific roles and responsibilities to his coordinators. And - having better players allows him to do that much more efficiently.

Add to that the daily "Jerry Tap Dance" he has to manage with his boss and I give the dude plenty of credit. His biggest value beyond the "stack one good day on the next" process IMO is his relationship with Stephen and Will McClay. Those three seem to have turned into a nice working Team themselves.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#8 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:54 pm

If Garrett continues this ride I feel we have to put him in the discussion of coach of the year along with Del Rio.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:35 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:If Garrett continues this ride I feel we have to put him in the discussion of coach of the year along with Del Rio.

I already have. It's pretty much the two of them along with Belichick who probably won't get recognized even though he should. Del Rio may gain an edge as the season winds down depending on the AFC West race being tight and the NFC East race being all over for all practical purposes.

Of course, the voters will probably credit the Offensive line for his success just like Dak's and Zeke's. Hell - everyone else is.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:56 am

One could also make an argument that the much improved Raider O-line is having the same effect on Carr, as the Cowboy O-line for Elliot and Prescott.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 7, 2016 2:43 pm

I would say that Garrett is the front runner for COY. Jerry is also the front runner for Executive of the Year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:39 am

Let's see how they respond this week. If Jerry continues to run his mouth, he won't get my support for anything.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:38 pm

Is Garrett still in the hunt for coach of the year if we win out today? I also can't say enough good things about Maranelli and the unbelievable job he has done with our defense this year. And Linnehan has been masterful with this offense and these 2 rookies. Just an unbelievable year so far.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:58 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Is Garrett still in the hunt for coach of the year if we win out today? I also can't say enough good things about Maranelli and the unbelievable job he has done with our defense this year. And Linnehan has been masterful with this offense and these 2 rookies. Just an unbelievable year so far.

Win or lose I think Garrett has COY in the bag. Same with Jerry for Executive of the Year. I also think Dak and Zeke win co-ROY.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:35 pm

I hope you are right because I really think this coaching group is more than deserving.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:05 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Is Garrett still in the hunt for coach of the year if we win out today? I also can't say enough good things about Maranelli and the unbelievable job he has done with our defense this year. And Linnehan has been masterful with this offense and these 2 rookies. Just an unbelievable year so far.

Win or lose I think Garrett has COY in the bag. Same with Jerry for Executive of the Year. I also think Dak and Zeke win co-ROY.

Been hoping that would happen. It would be cool seeing both of them get rewarded.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#17 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm predicting if the Cowboys beat the Packers today, Garrett is a shoe in for coach of the year. :nod:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Jack Del Rio and Dan Quinn are in the conversation but Garrett should definitely win it.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I see Garrett got NFC coach of the year. I wonder now if that is all she wrote in the regard for him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I have been screaming for years hoping Jerry would take the handcuffs off Jason to really see what we have in him. Jerry has made Jason look like a puppet for years.

Some do a good job of wearing both the HC and OC/DC hat on the sidelines. I agree with you. Garrett didn't. His value is more in the organization and management of the team on the field and delegating more specific roles and responsibilities to his coordinators. And - having better players allows him to do that much more efficiently.

Add to that the daily "Jerry Tap Dance" he has to manage with his boss and I give the dude plenty of credit. His biggest value beyond the "stack one good day on the next" process IMO is his relationship with Stephen and Will McClay. Those three seem to have turned into a nice working Team themselves.

Do we still feel the same way today? Couldn't resist, I had to bring back this discussion. :lol:

Return to Dallas Cowboys