ImageImageImageImage

Jamie Collins trade

Moderator: Parliament10

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: OT: Jamie Collins trade 

Post#21 » by sam_I_am » Wed Nov 2, 2016 12:04 am

ParticleMan wrote:wtf happened to that guy? he was supposed to be the next lawrence taylor. did he just get too full of himself?

seems crazy on the outside but bill is never one to hesitate to send a message. see milloy, lawyer.

I kept waiting for him to do something this year. He is about as far from Lawrence Taylor as possible. Say what you will about LT, he was never invisible which is what Collins has been this year.

Elandon Roberts has 20 tackles in 100 snaps. Collins has 46 in nearly 400 snaps. I think that math is what spelled the end for Collins.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#22 » by jcappy » Wed Nov 2, 2016 12:48 am

Collins play has been unequal almost certainly because he lets his personal contract situation affect his play. This is verboten with the Patriots. So, he's out the door.

But he does have at least near LT prowess and is considered the best or near best LB in the league. Thus the shocking news coming in a Super Bowl year for the Pats.
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,776

Post#23 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:07 am

I don't believe the party line being spewed by the CSN talking heads.

They had three players who needed to be paid: Hightower, Butler and Collins. One had to go, and Belichick chose Collins. Sheard may also have figured into the team's financial calculations.

This was 99% about money. It had almost nothing to do with Collins' play. Belichick could have fixed the problem if it was.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#24 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:17 am

Curmudgeon wrote:I don't believe the party line being spewed by the CSN talking heads.

They had three players who needed to be paid: Hightower, Butler and Collins. One had to go, and Belichick chose Collins. Sheard may also have figured into the team's financial calculations.

This was 99% about money. It had almost nothing to do with Collins' play. Belichick could have fixed the problem if it was.

They could have just let him go in free agency. Get basically the same compensation. They got nothing for a pro bowl talent. You can spin it anyway you like. It wasn't even a trade. They didn't get anything in return they couldn't already get. They saved no money in fact they paid to get rid of him...
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#25 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:28 am

Well it's not quite the same compensation because if they let Collins go in free agency the compensatory pick would have been in 2018, when Brady turns 40, not 2017.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,025

Post#26 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:37 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Well it's not quite the same compensation because if they let Collins go in free agency the compensatory pick would have been in 2018, when Brady turns 40, not 2017.

Oh it's a were in win now mode with Brady so let's let Chandler Jones and Jaime Collins go because they somehow wouldn't make the team better right now in the Brady window lol
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Re: Jamie Collins trade 

Post#27 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:51 am

Well, would they still be competitive without Hightower or Butler? It's a salary cap league.

As for Chandler Jones, his naked romp through Foxboro when he was stoned out of his mind probably had something to do with it.

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#28 » by sam_I_am » Wed Nov 2, 2016 2:36 am

I think with Chandler it was all about Sheard, Flowers, Long, Ninkovich .... they had depth at that position.

With Collins I think they just got tired of having to plan the defense around his talents and his play just hasn't justified it anymore. If you watch the Patriots it has been glaring how bad Collins has been. His play just isn't that good this year.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#29 » by ParticleMan » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:24 am

Vee-Rex wrote:Love the move for the Browns. We got plenty of cap space so we can sign him to whatever he wants. If he refuses then we get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him anyway.

Not to mention we have a ton of draft picks:

2 first rounders (Browns/Eagles)
2 second rounders (Browns/Titans)
1 third rounder
3 fourth rounders

yeah a no brainer move for you guys. guys with talent like that aren't lining up to join the browns.

so basically you traded barkevious mingo and a 3rd rounder for collins. :banghead: for us.

i just wonder what the behind the scenes issues were. how does a guy go from being a pro bowl future leader of our D to unceremoniously dumped in half a season? why did he all of a sudden start sucking this year?
DijonRondo
Veteran
And1: 1,801

Post#30 » by DijonRondo » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:46 am

Geech wrote:The Brown's 3rd rounder is also one pick after the 2nd round vs. the last pick before the the 4th round.
He seemed to have a great 1st 3 games and then not so much the 5 games after.

This is false. Browns are giving us a compensatory 3rd round pick.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#31 » by jrob23 » Wed Nov 2, 2016 4:54 am

you Pats fan will one day see that Brady made Bill more than Bill is great. I have a feeling that he'll retire when Brady leaves but if he was to stay, his awful personnel moves and drafting would keep them from being successful. Brady masks all the bad draft picks and blunders All those cute draft day trades where he trades out of high picks for later picks only work because Brady is a genius who overcomes the poor line play, receivers, and bend don't break defense. Without Brady, Bill is not winning any of those SB and is probably a coordinator somewhere after being HC with 1-2 different teams.
RLPH
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#32 » by RLPH » Fri Nov 4, 2016 10:41 am

Collins or no Collins, the Pats should do fine. Even though this was a dumb move

Love this move for the Browns though. Maybe gonna jump start that franchise with the defensive side of the ball

Return to New England Patriots