ImageImageImageImageImage

[Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,783

Re: [Community Thread] Welcome To New York! - Intros Here Too 

Post#421 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:23 pm

CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
Get Amazon's Cloud for $29.95, unlimited storage. I have terrabytes uploaded and organized in folders to my liking and the search function really finds everything fast. I have hundreds of movies and shows there and I just download it whenever I want to watch one. They let you stream the video if it is under 20 minutes only which is good for some of my shorter how-to videos. I've even uploaded DVDs in their original VIDEO_TS format. Then you have a searchable, refined file management structure for everything that is centralized and not located on a collection of drives and discs. You can keep the drives and discs as backups or free them up for new stuff. Amazing deal

Yearly price? Interesting. I signed up at one point for unlimited for storage for free from some company I can't remember; pre-beta user, but dropped once they started charging. Plus their client software was sort of whack. They were using interesting checksum idea where any duplicate data was shared among all users. They were using Amazon servers of course - Amazon is one of the largest hosters around, aren't they?

I got my prices mixed up

Amazon Music is 29.95 per year
Amazon Drive is 59.95

Both are bargains

Only with the Music do they check for dupes and used their MP3 if it matches yours. The limit is 250,000 songs and I've uploaded lots music that Amazon does not have. Plus, they now include lots of music and books with Amazon Prime so it covers a lot of the more popular songs or bands

Amazon Music works very well as a jukebox you can run off of your iOS devices. Their android app is no good. The web interface is good. So you can run your whole music library off your iPhone or iPad or your desktop to wireless headphones and speakers or to a stereo system.

Drive is truly unlimited and they do not compare anything. Upload whatever you want, including archiving music on Drive as backup after you put it on Amazon Music. The search function keeps improving and is now pretty fast. For uploading I use a free version of CloudBerry which maps my Amazon Drive account just like a windows tree on one side and my PC on the other side. So I can basically move stuff visually in my own file management environment directly from my drives to the cloud which is way better than using their upload utilities which are not as good

I wouldn't trust this much data with anyone else. I have some complaints about Amazon as a company, but they are the one whose servers I expect to be around for decades so I feel safe holding my stuff there until some invents a glass ball that holds 100 TB

Google Drive is superior for uploading and then streaming your own videos as there are no length limits or for uploading and reading books directly from the cloud, but Amazon is the best and should be the longest lasting safe way to max out your storage needs

I like google play (instead of drive) "ok" for music, but bear in mind I'm into downloading concert bootlegs, so I have tons of .flac where the stuff is all "track 1, track 2" and annoyingly, Google wants to tag everything etc, and wound up being sort of a pain in the ass in regards to artist category and I had to manually fix a bunch of stuff. Or was this all with mp3's...I don't recall. Anyhoo, I wanted to put up a bunch of stuff just for the anywhere convenience and managed to hit the max limit of whatever they allow.

Paying for unlimited storage and a file manager based 3rd party utility I could get into. Safe place for the family pictures as well (justifying bill to wife...). I was just on a kick a few years ago exploring the "best of" the free stuff, in terms of capacity and usefulness. Yeah, for 60 a year, it had better be unlimited and a really good experience. Then again, I could disconnect my getting antique NAS with five 1 TB drives in it and probably recover the cost in electricity in a year.
CJackson
General Manager
And1: 5,221

Post#422 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:36 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Yearly price? Interesting. I signed up at one point for unlimited for storage for free from some company I can't remember; pre-beta user, but dropped once they started charging. Plus their client software was sort of whack. They were using interesting checksum idea where any duplicate data was shared among all users. They were using Amazon servers of course - Amazon is one of the largest hosters around, aren't they?

I got my prices mixed up

Amazon Drive is 59.95

Both are bargains

Only with the Music do they check for dupes and used their MP3 if it matches yours. The limit is 250,000 songs and I've uploaded lots music that Amazon does not have. Plus, they now include lots of music and books with Amazon Prime so it covers a lot of the more popular songs or bands

Amazon Music works very well as a jukebox you can run off of your iOS devices. Their android app is no good. The web interface is good. So you can run your whole music library off your iPhone or iPad or your desktop to wireless headphones and speakers or to a stereo system.

Drive is truly unlimited and they do not compare anything. Upload whatever you want, including archiving music on Drive as backup after you put it on Amazon Music. The search function keeps improving and is now pretty fast. For uploading I use a free version of CloudBerry which maps my Amazon Drive account just like a windows tree on one side and my PC on the other side. So I can basically move stuff visually in my own file management environment directly from my drives to the cloud which is way better than using their upload utilities which are not as good

I wouldn't trust this much data with anyone else. I have some complaints about Amazon as a company, but they are the one whose servers I expect to be around for decades so I feel safe holding my stuff there until some invents a glass ball that holds 100 TB

Google Drive is superior for uploading and then streaming your own videos as there are no length limits or for uploading and reading books directly from the cloud, but Amazon is the best and should be the longest lasting safe way to max out your storage needs

I like google play (instead of drive) "ok" for music, but bear in mind I'm into downloading concert bootlegs, so I have tons of .flac where the stuff is all "track 1, track 2" and annoyingly, Google wants to tag everything etc, and wound up being sort of a pain in the ass in regards to artist category and I had to manually fix a bunch of stuff. Or was this all with mp3's...I don't recall. Anyhoo, I wanted to put up a bunch of stuff just for the anywhere convenience and managed to hit the max limit of whatever they allow.

Paying for unlimited storage and a file manager based 3rd party utility I could get into. Safe place for the family pictures as well (justifying bill to wife...). I was just on a kick a few years ago exploring the "best of" the free stuff, in terms of capacity and usefulness. Yeah, for 60 a year, it had better be unlimited and a really good experience. Then again, I could disconnect my getting antique NAS with five 1 TB drives in it and probably recover the cost in electricity in a year.

I assume you've heard of

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/

good for discovering concerts, but not hi-fi, yet you can find a rare Capt. Beefheart show or whatever floats your boat

I put my boots on Googleplay a while ago. Google play has no size limit per track (Amazon's is 100MB I think) so I find Google is a good place to just merge all tracks into a single album file and play the whole album there. Use GooglePlay for whole albums solves the 20,000 song limit and then put individual songs on Amazon music. With Amazon Prime you can skip uploading many of the songs too since you'll be able to stream many of them for free as a Prime member

I use the free Foobar 2000 with flac add-ons to merge files or rip into other formats. It is very efficient.

For uploads to Amazon Music I pre-tag using MP3tag which allows me to strip extra meta data. This is important because you can organize your tracks on Amazon Music by Genre so you want to nail that in the meta data before uploading. The biggest flaw with Amazon Music is for songs they recognize they often put in their own album cover image even though mine are already embedded. Their image choices are wack. Not a game changer, but annoying.

Amazon Drive is optimized for photos so you can view all of your images directly from Amazon Drive without having to download them.

Cloudberry is free so you won't need to buy a utility to upload. You can use it to download from Amazon drive too when selecting multiple folders. Otherwise, downloading from Amazon Drive works very well from the web interface

The Amazon Drive iOS app is simple and easy to use. I only use Google Drive app on Android which is great and have not tested Amazon Drive on Adroid.

For Amazon Music, I've only uploaded using Amazon Music utilities which should be fine

Both Amazon Music & Drive are great deals
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#423 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 pm

CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
I got my prices mixed up

Amazon Drive is 59.95

Both are bargains

I assume you've heard of

good for discovering concerts, but not hi-fi, yet you can find a rare Capt. Beefheart show or whatever floats your boat

I put my boots on Googleplay a while ago. Google play has no size limit per track (Amazon's is 100MB I think) so I find Google is a good place to just merge all tracks into a single album file and play the whole album there. Use GooglePlay for whole albums solves the 20,000 song limit and then put individual songs on Amazon music. With Amazon Prime you can skip uploading many of the songs too since you'll be able to stream many of them for free as a Prime member

I use the free Foobar 2000 with flac add-ons to merge files or rip into other formats. It is very efficient.

For uploads to Amazon Music I pre-tag using MP3tag which allows me to strip extra meta data. This is important because you can organize your tracks on Amazon Music by Genre so you want to nail that in the meta data before uploading. The biggest flaw with Amazon Music is for songs they recognize they often put in their own album cover image even though mine are already embedded. Their image choices are wack. Not a game changer, but annoying.

Amazon Drive is optimized for photos so you can view all of your images directly from Amazon Drive without having to download them.

Cloudberry is free so you won't need to buy a utility to upload. You can use it to download from Amazon drive too when selecting multiple folders. Otherwise, downloading from Amazon Drive works very well from the web interface

The Amazon Drive iOS app is simple and easy to use. I only use Google Drive app on Android which is great and have not tested Amazon Drive on Adroid.

For Amazon Music, I've only uploaded using Amazon Music utilities which should be fine

Thanks for the headsup. I know about sugarmegs, for torrents, may I recommend:

Dead/60's oriented stuff
shnflac.net
General, leaning towards classic rock
Dimeadozen.org
General, bit of everything
Thetradersden.org
Jambands
bt.etree.org
Zappa and some fellow travelers
Zappateers

edit* Love Foobar. Been using it forever.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#424 » by CJackson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I assume you've heard of

Dead/60's oriented stuff
shnflac.net
Dimeadozen.org
Thetradersden.org
Jambands
bt.etree.org
Zappateers

Thanks, those are mostly new to me. I have so much digital desiderata errata mondo zenyatta fritatta stuff up the yadda yadda that collecting new songs or movies or whatever is not an option any longer. Looking for stuff and tagging and organizing falls under the same time suck issues of what to do, watch, consume. So I'm just trying to get what I already have, which is considerable, organized and uploaded and then just cut myself off from acquiring new content entirely. I have enough for one lifetime and will catch special new things anyway
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#425 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:36 pm

CJackson wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
CJackson wrote:
I assume you've heard of

Dead/60's oriented stuff
shnflac.net
Dimeadozen.org
Thetradersden.org
Jambands
bt.etree.org
Zappateers

Thanks, those are mostly new to me. I have so much digital desiderata errata mondo zenyatta fritatta stuff up the yadda yadda that collecting new songs or movies or whatever is not an option any longer. Looking for stuff and tagging and organizing falls under the same time suck issues of what to do, watch, consume. So I'm just trying to get what I already have, which is considerable, organized and uploaded and then just cut myself off from acquiring new content entirely. I have enough for one lifetime and will catch special new things anyway

I hear you. As an easy shortcut, a lot of what goes up on bt.etree.org and shnflac.net is up on Internet Archives to stream.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#426 » by magnumt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:41 pm

CJackson wrote:
magnumt wrote:
CJackson wrote:
about half a year ago I read a couple of articles that said the iOT is completely unsecured and a hacking disaster waiting to happen.

Seems kind of pathetic that technologists are so eager to roll out new things without vetting them for downside

Somewhat. But that wasn't what triggered this. Truth be told, The Cloud was a big factor here.

With so many companies reliant on few dedicated cloud managed servers, it causes a cascade effect. When they did a DDOS on one such client manager (DEV is the company name), down went the reliant.

--Mags

Well, check this out. Last night I watched episode 6 of the new season of Black Mirror (moved from BBC to Netflix).

In the story are mechanical bees created to continue the job of plant pollination to replace collapsing bee colonies. A hacker takes over their network and does bad things. Scary stuff, because it didn't feel like sci-fi any longer.

They copied that idea from The Flash TV show. :lol:

But I get what you're saying. Truthfully, anything with tech in it can be hacked and taken over. From smart thermostats and appliances, to cars and medical devices in people. :nonono:

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#427 » by magnumt » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:49 pm

CJackson wrote:...

thebuzzardman wrote:...

The best options atm for music listening are (in no order):

• Spotify
• Apple Music & Apple Drive
• iHeartRadio

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#428 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 am

magnumt wrote:

• Spotify
• iHeartRadio

--Mags

Ha - those are all ok, but I'd rather pick my own music. Of course, use Itunes/Apple music does that. This was more about storing music/listening to it; Spotify and iHeartRadio I'll utilize, at times, with other stuff like that.
CJackson
General Manager

Post#429 » by CJackson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
magnumt wrote:

• Spotify
• iHeartRadio

--Mags

Ha - those are all ok, but I'd rather pick my own music. Of course, use Itunes/Apple music does that. This was more about storing music/listening to it; Spotify and iHeartRadio I'll utilize, at times, with other stuff like that.

Yep. Amazon going unlimited was a dream come true for my data. I'd never invest the time in tagging and uploading it to a site like MegaNZ. Google decided not to go mano a mano with Amazon on this price point so Amazon really is the only true option if you have terrabytes. Plus Google is more sketchy. They kill products without warning. I use Feedly for RSS now, but millions of people loved Google Reader and they just killed it. I feel Amazon has just as many businesses as Google, but Google is more random in their decisions, whereas Amazon feels way more dependable at this point. Amazon is in the server business and they want you to aggregate all of your personal and business storage with them. And over time they may continue to upgrade the features on what you can do with your data. I'd give them more money if they let me read my PDFs and stream any length of video or music from the cloud. So I won't be surprised if that option comes along in the future once they feel they've hit enough critical mass to offer those features. I've got so much data up in the cloud now it is staggering. It would have cost me tens of thousands of dollars just a couple of years ago and now it is 59 bucks. Simply amazing
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,021

Post#430 » by moocow007 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:40 pm

As someone that designs corporate level software solutions I can tell you the problem with technology and hacking is that security is not among the most important things considered in development. Also with the "cloud" craze what is happening is that a lot of companies are getting into without having people with the right skills to protect the "cloud" nor is securing the "cloud" a common mandate of most host sites regardless of how much they want to sell you that they are secure. Never, ever, ever put anything critical or private on the cloud...ever.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#431 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi NY Knicks board.

I was a long time member of the bulls board. Lurked there for about a year before joining in...2008 I think? Anyway its been a while. Born and raised in Chicago, grew up a Bulls fan, (though in the lats few months I moved out of state for my career). So its obvious why I'm here. To be honest though, in recent years I like the Knicks franchise a bit more than the Bulls. Bulls management had been frustrating for me to deal with, culminating with the firing of Tom Thibodeau back in 2015 and the way they handled it (I thought it was time for him to go but they showed absolutely no class whatsoever). So I largely stopped watching Bulls games at the beginning of last year, occasionally checking in to see how Derrick Rose was doing but mostly not interested. I am a fan of the larger NBA though and like to catch most games when I can, especially the marquee match ups.

Anyway I like the Knicks because they seem serious about trying to turn things around and wanting to win a championship. They haven't always done it in the most intelligent way but the vibe is a little different in recent years. Hopefully they can have a successful season in the eastern conference.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
CJackson
General Manager

Post#432 » by CJackson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:21 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:Hi NY Knicks board.

I was a long time member of the bulls board. Lurked there for about a year before joining in...2008 I think? Anyway its been a while. Born and raised in Chicago, grew up a Bulls fan, (though in the lats few months I moved out of state for my career). So its obvious why I'm here. To be honest though, in recent years I like the Knicks franchise a bit more than the Bulls. Bulls management had been frustrating for me to deal with, culminating with the firing of Tom Thibodeau back in 2015 and the way they handled it (I thought it was time for him to go but they showed absolutely no class whatsoever). So I largely stopped watching Bulls games at the beginning of last year, occasionally checking in to see how Derrick Rose was doing but mostly not interested. I am a fan of the larger NBA though and like to catch most games when I can, especially the marquee match ups.

Anyway I like the Knicks because they seem serious about trying to turn things around and wanting to win a championship. They haven't always done it in the most intelligent way but the vibe is a little different in recent years. Hopefully they can have a successful season in the eastern conference.

It's a good time to get on board. It could be another year or two for everything to gel, but it will be an enjoyable ride now.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: OT: How do we feel about Radiohead's new album "A Moon Shaped Pool"? 

Post#433 » by br7knicks » Tue Nov 1, 2016 6:31 pm

TrueWarrior wrote:.

has nothing to do with radiohead. i can't stand them, but i can't find the old heavy metal thread on the knicks board and i recall you listen to some sort of rock.

i'm not a huge fan of them anymore, in my old age, but apparently slayer wrote an album last year, and the music videos came out a few months ago. had no clue, accidentally stumbled upon them. i'm a big horror film fan, but not so much the gore porn movies that are coming out.

that said, slayer made a trio of videos that go with one another. they're really intense, and even have danny trujillo in 2 of them. they're really gory. just not sure if you liked slayer, or have seen these. again, they're intense.

RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#434 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 2, 2016 3:03 pm

Now that both New York MLB teams are done for the season, can we get 2 hockey team threads?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#435 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 8, 2016 8:27 pm

Election thread locked already?

:lol:
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#436 » by kane2021 » Wed Nov 9, 2016 2:38 am

I been following this site sense around the Ewing trade. Before 9/11. Was a member here during that but forgot my login info after I got out of prison and made a new account. Have been here for a really long time and have made what I consider to be some friends. Feel like I know some of you. I think it's pure **** bull **** that I can't talk about such an important election here with people I know.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#437 » by br7knicks » Wed Nov 9, 2016 3:17 am

538 just put trump to win electoral :(
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#438 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:22 am

br7knicks wrote:538 just put trump to win electoral :(

Trump's going to win. The republicans will then have all 3 branches of government PLUS the Supreme Court. We're so ****.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#439 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 9, 2016 5:23 am

kane2021 wrote:I been following this site sense around the Ewing trade. Before 9/11. Was a member here during that but forgot my login info after I got out of prison and made a new account. Have been here for a really long time and have made what I consider to be some friends. Feel like I know some of you. I think it's pure **** bull **** that I can't talk about such an important election here with people I know.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Let's take over the Community Thread! :lol:
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#440 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Wed Nov 9, 2016 6:07 pm

I feel so defeated after last night...I've been trying to take my mind off of the election results, but it's hard

Return to New York Knicks