Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago Cubs Thread: Baseball Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Re: The Chicago Cubs Thread: Baseball Season 

Post#301 » by Stratmaster » Fri Nov 4, 2016 1:43 am

jc23 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Those Bulls championships were so much more legendary and exciting than even that game 7. The atmosphere, the team's defense. It was MJ man- the greatest ever.

Says the Cardinals fan :D My oldest son and I (both huge Bulls and Cubs fans) were talking about this very subject, and both agreed this felt much more epic and exciting than any of the Bulls championships.

Bulls are my lifeblood, no doubt this Cubs World Series is bigger.

Im not a big football or hockey guy so i might be off on this assumption, but if i had to rank championships in American sports for city's it would be: Football>Baseball>Basketball>Hockey

I used to see it that way, but football has dropped behind baseball and basketball to me. The Super Bowl seems like it has gotten to where it is more about the circus around it than it is the game itself.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#302 » by dice » Fri Nov 4, 2016 3:13 am

FecesOfDeath wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:
FriedRise wrote:Love how all these Chicago sports teams are blowing out their opponents. GRAND SLAM 7-0

You think it makes sense to pull Arieta early to save him for a game 7 in case Hendricks gets in trouble?

It's probably a good idea now. Besides, Chapman and maybe Montgomery, I don't trust the bullpen this series. I'd love to see Madden go Hendricks-->Lester-->Arrieta-->Chapman

close! just replace arrieta with...what was the name again?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#303 » by dice » Fri Nov 4, 2016 3:20 am

Jeffster81 wrote:David Ross first homerun of his career? Off former Cub Mark Grace. Last homerun of his career? In the World Series? Why? Because David Ross.

haven't been a baseball fan since i was a kid, but i had never heard this guy's name in my life until the playoffs, then suddenly this 2 year cub is a fan favorite. seems forced. a bit unfortunate that there aren't any home-grown vets on the team that have gone through a lot. i would think it would be a bit sweeter of an experience as a fan
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,640

Post#304 » by DuckIII » Fri Nov 4, 2016 4:06 am

Been dilatory chiming in. But my whole family of Cardinals fans was glued to the game and we let the boys stay up late so we could all root for the Cubbies together.

There are Cards fans who hate it. But there are just as many who put the rivalry aside when the Birds aren't in it. Awesome season, awesome series, awesome game.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#305 » by DarthDiggler69 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 5:02 am

Been watching the Cubs the same as the Bulls in the early 80's but that was the best game ever!
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#306 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 12:52 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#307 » by jc23 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 4:18 pm

Saw ryno, wonder if Gracie is in the parade. My two favorite cubbies of all time.
Be curious, Not judgmental
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#308 » by laploutocratie » Fri Nov 4, 2016 6:48 pm

What an unreal day. Too bad I'm at work and can't see anything from LaSalle. Did people just not go to work today?
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#309 » by jc23 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 6:50 pm

laploutocratie wrote:What an unreal day. Too bad I'm at work and can't see anything from LaSalle. Did people just not go to work today?

Rumor is about 6 million people played hooky today lol. Couldn't ask for better weather. My guess 4 millionish on the turnout.
Be curious, Not judgmental
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#310 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 7:05 pm

jc23 wrote:
laploutocratie wrote:What an unreal day. Too bad I'm at work and can't see anything from LaSalle. Did people just not go to work today?

Rumor is about 6 million people played hooky today lol. Couldn't ask for better weather. My guess 4 millionish on the turnout.

Chicago police saying 5 million. But, yeah, that will likely go down to 4 ish. Regardless, pretty unbelievable. Historical. Companies giving people the day off. Has there ever been a larger Championship celebration in any sport? The Red Sox had like 3 million.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#311 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 7:38 pm

If you're a neutral sports fan (even though I was rooting for the Cubs) I think that was probably the best game 7 anyone could ask for.

I said it before and I will say it again, but the NBA finals and now the World Series were just EPIC. GOD I LOVE SPORTS!!
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
WIN
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,821

Post#312 » by WIN » Fri Nov 4, 2016 7:46 pm

I really don't think it can ever get better than this. 107 years of pent up negative energy finally ended on Thursday...this is simply legendary, there's nothing that can ever come close.

I honestly still can't believe that they won it, even though they were clearly favorites all along, I'm just so used to them breaking your heart every year, that until that final out was made, I was doing my best to expect the worst. So glad it finally happened.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#313 » by CellarDoor » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:55 pm

That parade was insane. Currently stands as the largest gathering ever in America. I'm not local (I live in Peoria), but I've been consulting at Northwestern for a year now and happened to be in town this week. My hotel was St. Claire and Eerie and my office is across the street. I dipped out two hours earlier than my train home and got to experience one of the best things I likely ever will see in person.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
dice
RealGM

Post#314 » by dice » Sat Nov 5, 2016 2:24 am

if i'm cubs brass, the first order of business is trying to convince bartman to throw out first pitch on opening day. and even if he declines, i bronze the infamous stadium seat in his honor and retire it, giving him season tickets for life in that very spot
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,763

Post#315 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 1:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Been dilatory chiming in. But my whole family of Cardinals fans was glued to the game and we let the boys stay up late so we could all root for the Cubbies together.

There are Cards fans who hate it. But there are just as many who put the rivalry aside when the Birds aren't in it. Awesome season, awesome series, awesome game.

And this is true, but the Cards fans (those fans who work in the media, ahem David Hasse of time) who hate it, are really salty about the Cubs winning. And because of those fans (not the Cardinals fan who are always baseball fans in general), I am enjoying there salty tears.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#316 » by ImSlower » Sat Nov 5, 2016 3:23 pm

I have a couple friends who are still salty, but the vast majority of my friends, my Cardinals meet-up group in NYC, and my family are all pretty happy for the Cubs. My only saltiness is that we have four more years or more to deal with the Cubs' young bucks taking 1st from us each year. That and the enormous amount of casual or total non-fans who are celebrating as if they'd been one of the Cubs faithful their whole lives. One of my exes moved to Chicago 8 months ago and has put up more **** on facebook than any of my dozens of Chicago resident Cubs supporters. I suppose the same thing happens to any championship team, and to an extreme level with the Cubs waiting so long to take it.

Anyway, there will always be irrationally hateful fans. Now that you've won, I salute you, and I can go back to passionately rooting against your team. The Central is going to be very competitive to close out this decade.
Paxson43
Sixth Man
And1: 588

Post#317 » by Paxson43 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:26 pm

They're saying 5 million people, the 7th largest peaceful gathering in human history.
lemonmellow
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#318 » by lemonmellow » Sat Nov 5, 2016 6:50 pm

I am calling bull on the crowd estimate. 5 million people? How did they tally that? Did someone just look around and say, "Wow, there must be 5 million people here!"?

Typing Chicago population into Google, it says 2.7 million. I get that there are more in the surrounding suburbs, and some who traveled from all over just to be here.

But even so, those millions are spread out over the entire city. You're telling me that twice that number of people jammed into the area surrounding Grant Park on Friday?

Does anyone realize how many people a million is, let alone 5x that number of people? Wrigley Field capacity is 41,000, and that's a huge crowd. You're saying there were 121 Wrigley Field crowds jammed into Grant Park, Michigan Ave., etc., yesterday?

I'm not buyin' it. Here is an article with basically the same argument about the bogus 2 million people tally for the 2010 Hawks rally: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/blackhawks-rally-crowd-estimate-96187479.html

White Sox fan here. The only credit I give the Cubs is that they came back from 3-1. That is incredibly rare in sports (although happening at a higher clip in recent years) and yes, impressive.
Paxson43
Sixth Man
And1: 588

Post#319 » by Paxson43 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 7:58 pm

lemonmellow wrote:I am calling bull on the crowd estimate. 5 million people? How did they tally that? Did someone just look around and say, "Wow, there must be 5 million people here!"?

Typing Chicago population into Google, it says 2.7 million. I get that there are more in the surrounding suburbs, and some who traveled from all over just to be here.

But even so, those millions are spread out over the entire city. You're telling me that twice that number of people jammed into the area surrounding Grant Park on Friday?

Does anyone realize how many people a million is, let alone 5x that number of people? Wrigley Field capacity is 41,000, and that's a huge crowd. You're saying there were 121 Wrigley Field crowds jammed into Grant Park, Michigan Ave., etc., yesterday?

I'm not buyin' it. Here is an article with basically the same argument about the bogus 2 million people tally for the 2010 Hawks rally: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/blackhawks-rally-crowd-estimate-96187479.html

White Sox fan here. The only credit I give the Cubs is that they came back from 3-1. That is incredibly rare in sports (although happening at a higher clip in recent years) and yes, impressive.

The parade essentially started on the North side; Addison and Sheffield. I was walking down Addison, there were people extended up and down every North/South traveling street intersecting Addison. It wasn't just the tally in Grant Park.

Also: Who gives a ****? THE CHICAGO CUBS ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!
dice
RealGM

Post#320 » by dice » Sat Nov 5, 2016 9:00 pm

lemonmellow wrote:I am calling bull on the crowd estimate. 5 million people? How did they tally that? Did someone just look around and say, "Wow, there must be 5 million people here!"?

also:

-most of the adult population in chicago and suburbs were working that day
-an even bigger majority of kids were in school
-a big chunk of the overall population is small children and the elderly

i could see a couple of million people at least PASSING THROUGH at some point during the festivities. as has been mentioned, all that would require is being downtown or all the way up clark st to wrigley. but even if you told me that 2 million people were gathered simultaneously it would be mind-boggling

the total attendance at cubs games this year was 3.23 million. many if not the majority of that number was repeat customers

OT, but cubs were easily the biggest road draw in the league this season - about 35K per game. #2 was the dodgers at 33K. #10 was the cards at 31K

Return to Chicago Bulls