Carlos "Chooch" Ruiz Traded for Vidal Nuno

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Carlos "Chooch" Ruiz Traded for Vidal Nuno 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 8, 2016 5:14 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Joel Sherman ✔ @Joelsherman1
#Dodgers are getting back 1 40-man roster pitcher in deal for Ruiz from #Mariners
8:35 PM - 6 Nov 2016 · Phoenix, AZ, United States
38 38 Retweets 29 29 likes

Quake Griffin wrote:The Dodgers are likely to receive left-hander Vidal Nuno, per Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times (Twitter link). The 29-year-old threw 58 2/3 innings in 55 appearances (one start) with the Mariners in 2016 and logged a 3.53 ERA, 7.82 K/9 and 1.69 BB/9. Nuno previously racked up a combined 38 starts in 66 appearances with the Yankees, Diamondbacks and Mariners from 2014-15. He’s now eligible for arbitraion for the first time, and MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects a $1.1MM salary for 2017.

Neddy wrote:really? I am super happy then. his FIP is terrible but all of his other stats are looking pretty good and considering we gave up something we had no intention of bringing back ourselves, this is a damn good deal.

AGAVE wrote:Ok.
So Nuno is 26.
Left hander.
California product.
Lets get him some time with Grandal.
He has arbitration availability.
Would that possibly mean we keep him up until the trade deadline?
Or he gets packaged in a deal with another player for another via trade.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Barnes Looks to Finally Get a Legitimate Shot 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 8, 2016 5:19 am

I'm just glad to see the trade happen to practically assure Austin Barnes a spot on the 25-man roster. While Nuno will occupy a spot on the 40-man roster, he'll likely spend most, if not all, of the 2017 season in the minors.

Chad Moriyama, DodgersDigest.com (11/7/16)
Nuno’s stuff doesn’t indicate anything much more promising either. He primarily uses a three-pitch mix of a fastball, slider, and change, with the fastball generally sitting in the 89-91 mph range and his change grading out as above-average even though his slider is his primary off-speed pitch. While he has allowed a .799 OPS to righties in his career and a .641 OPS to lefties, his stuff profile certainly doesn’t fit a LOOGY type, and I would think if anything he’d be less prone to ridiculous splits.

All said and done, Nuno had a 0.8 RA9 WAR and a 0.0 FIP WAR in 2016, and since he has an option year left, he’ll likely slot in at AAA behind Grant Dayton and Adam Liberatore (and Luis Avilan) as the Dodgers lefty relievers. Perhaps the Dodgers see something in him that I currently don’t, but Nuno essentially rates as solid depth and not much more. Nuno has three more years of arbitration left before he hits free agency (potentially in 2020), and projects to make $1.1MM in arbitration this year, so that control would be appealing if he does end up performing better than he has.

Dodgers Trade Carlos Ruiz for Vidal Nuno, Clear a Path for Austin Barnes
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Carlos "Chooch" Ruiz Traded for Vidal Nuno 

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Nov 8, 2016 5:49 pm

Good.

Get out of Austin Barnes' way for starters.
Second, maybe this guy will be able to spot us 2-3 innings here and there during the season when our broken pitchers break and the young guys cant get through 4-5 innings.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers